Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2024, 11:27:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228477 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Helmet's opinion about axl ( i think a good one)
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Helmet's opinion about axl ( i think a good one)  (Read 5274 times)
Lucio92
Headliner

GNR Venezuela

« on: October 05, 2004, 08:05:33 PM »

Helmet's Page Hamilton Ready For A Comeback, His Shoulder Not So Much
Tuesday October 05, 2004 @ 03:00 PM
By: ChartAttack.com Staff

Helmet 

Page Hamilton is in a funk. The leader of the newly restored and recreated Helmet flipped his mountain bike back in August, seriously messing up his collarbone and pushing back the band's comeback album and tour. On the phone from L.A. where he's recuperating, Hamilton says he's working his way out of the post-trauma blues.

"You get really lazy and sit around cranking vicadin, chain-smoking," he says.

The singer-guitarist has been cooped up for a month now and he's eager to talk. Even about the gory details of his recovery.

"I have some dead person's tendon in there. Their hamstring," he says casually. And while he knew doctors had inserted screws into his shoulder, the x-rays were still a surprise: "These things are like railroad spikes. They're really big."

Size Matters is Helmet's first record in seven years. The band split in 1999, with original members Henry Bogdan and John Stanier leaving on bad terms. For the current reinvention, White Zombie drummer John Tempesta and Anthrax bass player Frank Bello have come on board ? but Hamilton insists this is the same band.

"It still sounds like Helmet," he says. "My stuff is pretty much completed when it's presented to the band. And it's up to them to come up with their drum fills, bass fills, their articulation. And yes, John Tempesta and John Stanier articulate differently, but they're both amazing drummers. The deal is John Stanier and I don't speak anymore, so it's kind of hard to be in a band with him."

Hamilton says that after nine years together, the members of the original Helmet had built up a lot of tension and that was taking a toll on everyone involved.

"Our communication was built on resistance more than cooperation, by the end of it," he says. "That's unhealthy, that's unnecessary. It was time for us to move on. And I'm glad John and Henry are happy, I think, and doing their thing. God bless 'em."

Without that friction, Hamilton found recording the new album a refreshing experience. He is, however, wary of the flak a new Helmet release could bring, especially with the new band line-up and the expectations attached to any comeback. Quick to go on the offensive with critical fans, he says growing and experimenting musically ("putting the lab coat on") are essential for not getting stuck in one place.

"I mean, look at Axl Rose," Hamilton says. "He put out the Guns N' Roses album like 20 years ago and he's blocked. I mean, I'm just assuming, but I hear a lot about it and I have friends that play with him. They say he's a great guy, he's still creative, but he just kind of wanders off into the desert for days on end. He's stuck. You need to get with other musicians."

During the break from Helmet, Hamilton toured in David Bowie's band and worked with a film composer, a jazz trumpet player and even U2's Bono. He says that kind of collaboration allowed him to come back to Helmet with fresh ideas and enthusiasm.

With the tour coming up, Hamilton is down to one pain pill a day, is quitting smoking and working toward a full range of motion. When the first show hits in Vancouver, he thinks he'll be fine.

"If there's pain, there's pain. It's not gonna kill me. The pain can't be any worse than what I've been through the last month."

October 20 Vancouver, BC @ Richard's On Richards
November 10 Toronto, ON @ Mod Club (tickets go on sale through Ticketmaster October 7)
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2004, 08:54:40 PM »

I dont think axl is blocked, I think he just doesnt think what he has is ever good enough, eventho it could be amazing.
He needs more self cofidence.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
slashedguns
Rocker

Time went by and it all went up in smoke

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2004, 09:04:59 PM »

In my opinion it would be best for Axl just to say fuck it,its done,release it. He is putting too much pressure on himself. Who cares what anyone else thinks, release it and let us enjoy it. peace

ASSESMENT: WASTE OF AMMO
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2004, 09:15:51 PM »

In my opinion it would be best for Axl just to say fuck it,its done,release it. He is putting too much pressure on himself. Who cares what anyone else thinks, release it and let us enjoy it. peace

diz and tommy keep saying how great it is, axl should just listen to them and put it out

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2004, 10:16:50 PM »

Interesting opinion from Hamilton, not sure if I agree with him but he said it himself, he's just assuming..

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Almost Famous
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2004, 11:07:10 PM »

I don't mind him wandering into the desert, but for the love of all that is holy, keep him away from that Native American guy. I mean, he screwed up Morrison something awful.
grog mug
Legend

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2004, 02:23:19 AM »

Axl wants to release it on his own time.  When he thinks it's finished and actually stops being lazy with recording and get's the shit together we might actually see it early 2005.  If he continues this pace...it'll be another Brian Wilson "Smile" album we won't see for years to come.
ClintroN
The board won't let me use a longer name than this!
Legend

Gimme some fuckin' Democracy

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2004, 02:27:14 AM »

is Hamilton havin' a stab at Axl or not, sounds cool but i dont know!!! Roll Eyes

www.myspace.com/killmondays

GNR - Brizvegas - AUSTRALIA
June -19th 
         -20th, 2007
SLCPUNK
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2004, 03:13:32 AM »

Nah...I dont' think he meant it as a jab.

I used to love Helmet back in the day.....
horsey
Legend

axl rockz my world !

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2004, 03:38:21 AM »

helmet i have no idea.who he even is.axl in the desert lol.just wandering around out there.OMG ! how funny does that sound.i hope he is getting a nice tan out there.
but im not sure if thats even true or not.i doubt it really.

the one an only horsey !
Mattman
Sk8er boi
VIP

It's better to burn out than to fade away...

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2004, 12:07:50 PM »

helmet i have no idea.who he even is.axl in the desert lol.just wandering around out there.OMG ! how funny does that sound.i hope he is getting a nice tan out there.
but im not sure if thats even true or not.i doubt it really.

I thought I read an article in Rolling Stone from a couple years back that said Axl spent time in the desert sometime in the late 90s, seeing some kind of New Age mystic.  The article is from May 11th, 2000:

Lost in the minor hoopla over the arrest was the matter of what, exactly, Axl was doing at the Phoenix airport. Was Axl coming back from a place where he often goes - Sedona, the New Age bastion in the red-rock canyons 115 miles north of Phoenix, where he sees one of the most important people in his world, a psychic known derisively in the GN'R camp as Yoda?

Though nobody knows precisely how he got involved, people who know him say Axl started visiting Sedona in the early nineties, sometimes travelling with Beta, his housekeeper, or Earl, his bodyguard. Many believers in past lives, channelling, UFOs and the predictive power of crystals pass through Sedona. The town is so tuned in, vibewise that certain canyons are understood to be vortexes for masculine energy and others for feminine forces. In the produce aisles of Sedona supermarkets, shoppers dangle crystals over the pints of strawberries.

For close to a decade, Rose has been a powerful, almost evangelical believer in homeopathic medicine. The world, in Axl's view, is a perilous place, populated by greedy doctors affiliated with the American Medical Association who prescribed dangerous synthetic medicines. When GN'R toured, homeopathic elixirs for Axl's throat were always on hand. He introduced Echinacea and protein shakes to a GN'R more accustomed to vodka and heroin.
Sterlingdog
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2004, 03:42:06 PM »

I have also read about Axl visiting his "Yoda" in Sedona.  I'm afraid its probably true.  Sedona is the home of some very powerful and dangerous cults.  Let's hope Axl doesn't get hooked up with one of them or we'll never see him again for sure.  Fortunately, I don't think Axl is the type to accept some wacko in the desert is in contact with the mother ship and therefor he should give over all his wordly possessions.  But I guess you never know.
Tied-Up
VIP

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2004, 04:04:10 PM »

I don't know about his being involved with cults... it's possible, especially given the fact that he was raised by an abusive stepfather who was obviously messed up from christianity.  That kind of brainwashing can lead a person to feel weak enough to be open spiritually, looking for spiritual acceptance, that is the typical prey of cults.

There is another thing that I don't know if anyone is considering.  In my art history class in college, my professor spoke of the artist's mind... where they are mentally when they create... and also that generally, in an artist's mind, a work of art is never finished.  It is never good enough.  What others might refer to as a masterpiece, generally is never so in the mind of an artist because a true master of his/her art is never completely satisfied with the work he/she has created.  I think that this may be the case with Axl, based on what many have said with his perfectionist attitude toward his artform.  As an artist myself, it is very hard for me to let go of something, because I am always dissatisfied with what I have accomplished, and feel inside myself that it could be better somehow.

He seems to put a lot of pressure on himself to maintain relevancy within the forum of music, which I personally don't think he should concern himself with so much.  When Guns N' Roses first hit the scene, we were listening to crap like Poison... GNR didn't release something that was musically relevant, but it became musically relevant.  There is a difference. 

Anyway, those are my thoughts.  I'll return to lurking now.   Wink
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2004, 04:27:47 PM »

You know ...I posted awhile back inquiring about Axl smoking bud, but fuck that.

Dude, has been climbing up mushroom mountain and swimming through the sea of green. I think this might be good for him to. He found his happy place. He's safe there, and that is rule number one, the criteria, if your going to trip. Shit, put things in perspective. That's alright. He is goin down there, and takin a step back...seeing things from the outside.

Axl has got to do his thing, and the rest will fall into place. You people really think he gives a fuck about whether his shit is going to be good enough to put out there? I think Ill give homeboy the benefit of the doubt. If there is one thing he does know, it's music. The problem is, everyone else and their expectations. You can ask a Million GNR fans what they want CD to be, and you will get a Million different answers. I'm going to let the man do his thing. When he wants to drop it, I will tear the bitch open cause I want to hear what his vision for this project was. No doubt it will be worth it, no matter when its out.

The blacker the berry, the sweeter the juice.

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2004, 05:40:35 PM »

There is another thing that I don't know if anyone is considering.? In my art history class in college, my professor spoke of the artist's mind... where they are mentally when they create... and also that generally, in an artist's mind, a work of art is never finished.? It is never good enough.? What others might refer to as a masterpiece, generally is never so in the mind of an artist because a true master of his/her art is never completely satisfied with the work he/she has created.? I think that this may be the case with Axl, based on what many have said with his perfectionist attitude toward his artform.? As an artist myself, it is very hard for me to let go of something, because I am always dissatisfied with what I have accomplished, and feel inside myself that it could be better somehow.

That?s true. As soon as you attain your initial target, you find it?s not enough. Cos you?ve surpassed your past self already on the path through. So it seems like a half-assed product for you now. Today?s your 100 percent will be your 80 percent Tomorrow.
Axl never catch up with his turtle. Zenon?s paradox.
But mind you, that?s a motivation for you to make the next one.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2004, 05:44:34 PM by ppbebe » Logged
Almost Famous
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2004, 07:20:18 PM »

I don't know about his being involved with cults... it's possible, especially given the fact that he was raised by an abusive stepfather who was obviously messed up from christianity.? That kind of brainwashing can lead a person to feel weak enough to be open spiritually, looking for spiritual acceptance, that is the typical prey of cults.

"obviously messed up from christianity" - Christianity does not 'mess people up'. People's twisting of a belief system messes people up. This is as offensive as saying that living in an all-black community will turn you into a criminal. If someone is left feeling weak, and beaten down, they have not been exposed to Christianity. The modern media has done such a good job of confusing people about what being a Bible believer really is. Don't allow yourself to accept all that is thrown your way when it comes to people's faith.

Cheers!

Tied-Up
VIP

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2004, 08:29:46 PM »

"obviously messed up from christianity" - Christianity does not 'mess people up'. People's twisting of a belief system messes people up. This is as offensive as saying that living in an all-black community will turn you into a criminal. If someone is left feeling weak, and beaten down, they have not been exposed to Christianity. The modern media has done such a good job of confusing people about what being a Bible believer really is. Don't allow yourself to accept all that is thrown your way when it comes to people's faith.

Cheers!

One might suggest that comparing a humanitarian issue such as racism to a belief system such as christianity is also offensive. 

As far as the media painting christianity as an evil... all I can say is that there are extremists in every religion, including christianity.  To say that they are not true christians is missing the point.  I think that Axl said it best when he said:

"Most organized religions make a mockery of humanity"  ~ he witnessed first hand through the abusive treatment from his stepfather just how a belief system can be taken too far. 
Taz
Banned
Headliner

Axl forever

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2004, 04:40:21 AM »

Axl is in a bad trip... Some gurus out there (Phoenix) are telling him that he and Stephanie Seymour met in a previous life and that's why they are chained forever...?? rofl

Besides, I don't think the guy from Helmet knows what is talking about... "Chinese Dem." has been completed long ago, so Axl isn't stuck, at least artistically... Court rooms and contracts with the record company are likely to be the real problems...

And please don't compare a real genius like Brian Wilson with Axl... Sounds ridiculous.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2004, 04:48:03 AM by Taz » Logged
Mattman
Sk8er boi
VIP

It's better to burn out than to fade away...

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2004, 05:01:52 PM »

Besides, I don't think the guy from Helmet knows what is talking about... "Chinese Dem." has been completed long ago, so Axl isn't stuck, at least artistically... Court rooms and contracts with the record company are likely to be the real problems...

Then how come whenever there's a delay they always say that they're putting the "finishing touches on the record"?  Why do we always hear about them going back into the studio to do more recording?
darkdays_01
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2004, 10:37:33 PM »

I have also read alot of people speaking of Axl's relationship with some spiritual person from Sedona AZ, that right there answers my questions at least, on the delays surrounding CD, i passed through Sedona once on a road trip back in the mid 90's and that is one of the weirdest places i have ever been in my life, major cult type of people living there, very weird place.
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: