Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 24, 2024, 08:59:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228100 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Hollywood Rose - Japanese Release w/ BONUS DVD!!
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hollywood Rose - Japanese Release w/ BONUS DVD!!  (Read 10652 times)
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2004, 02:43:06 PM »

now this menu looks totally professional for an official release!!!? yes

Re-Union time, baby!!
Skeletor
Paha keisari
Legend

Oyez! Oyez!

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2004, 02:56:35 PM »

I'd buy that for a dollar!? ok

EDIT: ALL PLAY!!  Grin

This is what he'd always known
The promise of something greater beyond the water's final horizon
Will
An American in Paris
Legend

State of love and trust

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2004, 03:27:02 PM »

Guess I shouldn't have spent time making screenshots and uploading them then... Roll Eyes

Christos AG
Taxi Rider
HTGTH Crew
Legend

Been there, done that...

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2004, 03:31:56 PM »

Hey Will, thanks for the screenshots man.  Smiley

Acquiesce
VIP

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2004, 06:06:55 PM »

Thanks for the screencaps, Will! I never got around to getting to US version but I think I will get the Japanese release after seeing your screencaps.
erose
Legend

Live ?!'@ Like A Suicide

« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2004, 06:27:07 PM »

brilliant shots, thanks for the review! a must have in my eyes! ok

victory or death

even if it costs ?9.50
Will
An American in Paris
Legend

State of love and trust

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2004, 06:47:31 PM »

You're welcome! Smiley

Btw, I forgot to mention it but this special edition contains also a bonus booklet with all the lyrics from the 5 demos (english + japanese)!!

Christos AG
Taxi Rider
HTGTH Crew
Legend

Been there, done that...

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2004, 06:52:29 PM »

Btw, I forgot to mention it but this special edition contains also a bonus booklet with all the lyrics from the 5 demos (english + japanese)!!

Ok, now this plus the video is well worth it's money...

KeVoRkIaN
VIP

Resident Doctor

« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2004, 06:58:49 PM »

Honestly ....fuck Japan

they get all the sweet bonus tracks/ dvd's

what the fuck.........screw record companies, this is bulllshit! they know damn well that there are more gnr fans in the US, but japan gets this, they get Coma, UYI  tour live IN JAPAN.... I cannot understand the logic behind this.

It has something to do with the fact that they'd just buy the American version under the table because its easier if they didn't have extras that entice them to buy.

Japanese music buyers tend to get all kinds of exclusive bonusses to encourage them to buy the home versions rather than (much cheaper) imported CD's, as well as in this case the later relese date. Record companies tried a similar tactic with 'Special edition' albums in the UK a couple of years ago to discourage us Brits from importing.

Wrong!!!!! These issues always come later and are intended to be exported to the mass American public - it is a ploy to get us to rebuy - hence 2 copies sold to the die hards - the Beatles strated this shit......issuing rare colored vinyls and shit - even if it is region 2 - they know it is easily recoded
« Last Edit: October 21, 2004, 07:01:07 PM by KeVoRkIaN » Logged

NEW MEMBERS: CLICK ON THIS PAGE! http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php

Starts Now is An Understatement!!!!!!
Egres
Opening Act

« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2004, 07:52:14 PM »

Hi there.
I also wondered why Japan always gets either bonus tracks or, like here, a bonus DVD....
Here's what someone wrote about this:

"In Japan the price for printing CDs are more expensive than what it would cost for them to import finished products. Therefor the record companies in Japan, who want to release products instead of importing products, need 1) a bonus track and 2) a couple of weeks headstart on the rest of the world w the release date, otherwise it would be "financial suicide" to them. The CDs that the Japanese companies release are also more expensive for the Japanese fans (due to the higher pressing costs) than the imports.
Another market is f.ex. Korea, who also demands a bonus track, which is different than the European or the Japanese bonus tracks. Why? Well, because the imports in Korea also are cheaper than the ones printed there.
And so on and so on ... thus, we might end up with 4-5 different versions of ONE cd. Sometimes we can get past the point of providing bonus tracks, if we instead give them something different (such as a poster, a digipack or whatever), but usually it's the bonus track that decides if you get a deal in f.ex. Japan, and from the musicians point of view this is DAMN important, as the money to be made is huge over there."

So don't hate Japanese people for that. And remember something: I live here in Luxembourg (Europe). Nowadays, thanks to the Internet, things have changed, but I remember when I was younger, some friends of mine said "wow, look at those nice Nike shoes! They are so cheap in the USA but to get them here, we will have to wait 2 or 3 years!". I never gave a shit about brands but it is a fact that a lot of things are more accessible to you, living in the USA, than for us here. Another example is Ebay... Very often, I find a very good deal, but the seller clearly specifies: "Will ship to United States only".
take care...

Honestly ....fuck Japan

they get all the sweet bonus tracks/ dvd's

what the fuck.........screw record companies, this is bulllshit! they know damn well that there are more gnr fans in the US, but japan gets this, they get Coma, UYI? tour live IN JAPAN.... I cannot understand the logic behind this.
Will
An American in Paris
Legend

State of love and trust

« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2004, 12:35:57 AM »

Ok, here's a more complete review after I've seen the DVD in its entirety:

This exclusive Hollywood Rose DVD, which lasts 72 minutes contains Chris Weber and Tracii Guns interviews only. This could be a bad thing. But it's not, far from it. We actually learn a lot of extremely interesting things all along this DVD. Let me sum it up: I follow the band since 1991 and my eyes and ears couldn't leave the TV screen during the whole time of the interviews because I learned things after things about the band. The story Chris and Tracii are telling about Izzy, Axl, Steven, Slash and Duff first steps in L.A. is very interesting. It feels like you're back in the 80's again (1982-1985)...you can imagine the rock scene in Hollywood, the bars, etc. We learn about all the stuff we were missing to put the story of GN'R together. Really, really interesting. I really suggest you order that CD + DVD on http://www.hmv.co.jp/?LANG=en (careful, shipping costs are about 15 euros/ 20 bucks but delivery guaranteed all over the world within 24-48 hrs!).

? ?

Tracii is the one who talks the most during the interview, he tells us everything about everything, like how him and Axl and Izzy were best buddies between '82 and '85. It's also kinda funny to remember that originally Slash was not even in GN'R! According to Tracii, Slash even attended the first official GN'R show in front of them, right in the front row (it was the Appetite lineup with Tracii instead of Slash on lead guitar)...Slash replaced him a few weeks later, the story on the DVD stops right there, just when the known story of GN'R begins...This DVD is really interesting for anyone who wants to know more about the links between Hollywood Rose, L.A. Guns, Guns N' Roses, Axl, Izzy, Tracii Guns, Chris Weber, etc.

Talking about Chris, he actually talks about the video from that era that we can see for a few short minutes (no sound because it was originally filmed for a video), where you can see Axl moving all over the place, very energetic (like Chris said, at the beginning Axl had so energy running through him that he was shaking...). This DVD is really an EXCELLENT surprise. I thought it was kinda lame at first but it is not at all. And to top everything: the japanese version contains an exclusive booklet with all lyrics from the five demos!!

Obviously it's got its flaws: we would have preferred a superior production with pictures and live videos from that era, a better DVD authoring (good video bitrate and LPCM audio, nonetheless), the possibility to remove the japanese subtitles, etc. But really, according to me, it would be very picky about something that's already very good. I hope I made you want that DVD thanks to that review because that's really a piece of collection that every GN'R fan should own! Wink

Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2004, 08:46:13 AM »

I'd buy that for a dollar!? ok

EDIT: ALL PLAY!!? Grin

HAHA...."ALL PLAY"? rofl
all play golf or what ? is that a hidden video feature ?? japan rules! Grin

about the dvd:
its no secret they try to make as much cash as possible from the die hard fans with those HR releases. and this quote
"...the video from that era that we can see for a few short minutes (no sound because it was originally filmed for a video)..."

come on, they just didnt want to include it on the dvd. every single video has an intern mic which is recording audio, bah! maybe it will come on the 4th korean special 2dvd set with all HR related interviews from uncles and grandmas ?

japanese subtitles....no comment

Re-Union time, baby!!
RnT
Legend

Every saint has a past, every sinner has a future.

« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2004, 09:08:59 AM »

I live in Brazil
HOW CAN I GET THIS DVD !?!?!?
 Undecided

Will
An American in Paris
Legend

State of love and trust

« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2004, 09:12:46 AM »

about the dvd:
its no secret they try to make as much cash as possible from the die hard fans with those HR releases. and this quote
"...the video from that era that we can see for a few short minutes (no sound because it was originally filmed for a video)..."

come on, they just didnt want to include it on the dvd. every single video has an intern mic which is recording audio, bah! maybe it will come on the 4th korean special 2dvd set with all HR related interviews from uncles and grandmas ?

japanese subtitles....no comment

Thanks for your great comments that really bring something to the table!  ok

RnT, they deliver worldwide so you can order it from Brazil as well! Wink

Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2004, 10:27:49 AM »

yeah, Will....."no sound because it was originally filmed for a video..."...this does bring the shit to the table, right ?

Re-Union time, baby!!
Will
An American in Paris
Legend

State of love and trust

« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2004, 10:40:04 AM »

What are you talking about? What shit does it bring? Your comments certainly don't bring anything to the discussion, that's for sure. There is no sound during that short video clip, Chris is talking over it, that's all. He's explaining they were lip-synching to their demo so the actual sound has gotta be the cassette they were using. He's saying himself it was not live. I don't see what the big fuckin deal is. I just assumed they didn't put the sound because they were filming a video clip and the actual audio track was their demo tape. BFD.

Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2004, 11:22:44 AM »

ok, lets get it straight: the die hard fans hoped for that complete videoclip with original audio live/tape/demo...(whatever) without any comments/subtitles. you cant lip-synch without sound, every to be synched videoclip is filmed with some audio. so on the original HR video there is the wanted part which just aint include on the dvd most likely by purpose. saying there is no sound during that clip cant be true.

thats basically my part of "this discussion" what i was referring to, sometimes people need to read between the lines?a little ok
and there also is a general opinion about quality/standards when buying official media...seeing that menu and the subtitles all over...its just disappointing.

peace out? peace

Re-Union time, baby!!
Will
An American in Paris
Legend

State of love and trust

« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2004, 11:41:25 AM »

ok, lets get it straight: the die hard fans hoped for that complete videoclip with original audio live/tape/demo...(whatever) without any comments/subtitles.

I certainly didn't think they would release such material. But I was surprised that the whole thing was an interview as well. But I was not disappointed.

you cant lip-synch without sound, every to be synched videoclip is filmed with some audio. so on the original HR video there is the wanted part which just aint include on the dvd most likely by purpose. saying there is no sound during that clip cant be true.

I precised what I meant just above. I should have said it better, I made a mistake, BFD. I don't like how you always comment on the mistakes and never say something positive. I try to bring something to the table and provide lots of stuff/ info. I can make mistakes, I'm human. I think it's too bad some people focus only on that.

and there also is a general opinion about quality/standards when buying official media...seeing that menu and the subtitles all over...its just disappointing.

You can be disappointed, but I don't think the sarcasm is necessary. As for the subtitles, you get used to it and it's a special release for the japanese market. That's why they included the subtitles (but should also have included the possibility to remove them, as I said in my review). I mention the flaws in my review, but the only thing you pointed out was my mistake. You may think the most important part of the DVD is the two minute clip of the band, I actually think the interviews are more interesting. Different point of view, that's all. And I don't think one is necessarily the right one...to each his own... Smiley

saint seiya
Rocker

« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2004, 11:37:07 PM »

hey man, can u please post the lyrics to Anything Goes? its hard for me to understand most of it
saint seiya
Rocker

« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2004, 07:25:24 PM »

bump  smoking
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: