Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 04:26:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228551 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Q Magazines 50 biggest bands of all time
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Q Magazines 50 biggest bands of all time  (Read 6434 times)
campos
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« on: October 02, 2004, 05:21:47 PM »

Based on biggest album, biggest headline gig, weeks on album and singles chart Q have compiled this list. The top 20 are as follows:

.Pink Floyd
2.Led Zeppelin
3.The Rolling Stones
4.U2
5.Queen
6.Dire Straits
7.Bruce Springsteen & The E street Band
8.The Beatles
9.Bob Marley & The Wailers
10.Fleetwood Mac
11.The Eagles
12.The Beach Boys
13.Oasis
14.BON JOVI
15.Guns n' Roses
16.Nirvana
17.Genesis
18.The Bee Gees
19.Metallica
20.Boston

Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2004, 05:26:34 PM »

Based on biggest album, biggest headline gig, weeks on album and singles chart Q have compiled this list. The top 20 are as follows:

.Pink Floyd
2.Led Zeppelin
3.The Rolling Stones
4.U2
5.Queen
6.Dire Straits
7.Bruce Springsteen & The E street Band
8.The Beatles
9.Bob Marley & The Wailers
10.Fleetwood Mac
11.The Eagles
12.The Beach Boys
13.Oasis
14.BON JOVI
15.Guns n' Roses
16.Nirvana
17.Genesis
18.The Bee Gees
19.Metallica
20.Boston

Dire Straits  Huh Ok, but not worthy of the list
Oasis  nervous Never
The Bee Gees  Shocked Cool, but unexpected
Metallica  Undecided Not sure
Bon Jovi in caps  nervous BJ are ok, but I'm not sure they are worthy of caps in this company
Gnr  ok
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2004, 05:27:00 PM »

is it specificly in the UK or in the world? Because Oasis above Guns n' Roses in the UK yes, but in the world No.

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2004, 05:34:44 PM »

is it specificly in the UK or in the world? Because Oasis above Guns n' Roses in the UK yes, but in the world No.

Gnr are bigger than Oasis in the UK just now
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2004, 05:49:32 PM »

Mysteron maybe you live in the US, but you should know that here in Europe Oasis is a fucking HUGE band (42 million albums sold). In the UK they even outsell the Beatles...this is a great band. really a great band. The gallagher's brothers are Rock n' Roll icons. For me they are the 3rd biggest Rock band of these last 15 years with Guns n' Roses and U2. Oasis were (and are)waaaay bigger than Nirvana for exemple in Europe. But I know this is difficult to understand for an American because Oasis never went so big in the US.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2004, 05:58:15 PM by nesquick » Logged

Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2004, 05:59:30 PM »

What a F**king joke! Dire Straits ahead of Gn'R. puke

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2004, 06:03:43 PM »

lots of guys on this forum seem to be very ignorant about the Rock history. Do you know how much album dire straits sold? no?...over 110 million worldwide. More than GN'R. I think you should have a little more respect for all these bands...
« Last Edit: October 02, 2004, 06:06:08 PM by nesquick » Logged

Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2004, 06:09:00 PM »

lots of guys on this forum seem to be very ignorant about the Rock history. Do you know how much album dire straits sold? no?...over 110 million worldwide. More than GN'R. I think you should have a little more respect for all these bands...
Why should  I? Will doing so enrich my life?

nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2004, 06:09:50 PM »

ok....let's se one point: how old are you?

Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2004, 06:10:54 PM »

Old enough not ta care. peace

Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2004, 06:12:40 PM »

Mysteron maybe you live in the US, but you should know that here in Europe Oasis is a fucking HUGE band (42 million albums sold). In the UK they even outsell the Beatles...this is a great band. really a great band. The gallagher's brothers are Rock n' Roll icons. For me they are the 3rd biggest Rock band of these last 15 years with Guns n' Roses and U2. Oasis were (and are)waaaay bigger than Nirvana for exemple in Europe. But I know this is difficult to understand for an American because Oasis never went so big in the US.

In 2004, if Oasis released three news singles in the UK, the first would possibly top the charts, the second would possibly go top 10, the third would struggle for top 20

They are currently average
G N R PIMP
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2004, 06:22:09 PM »

I agree with Mysteron : Oasis are average.....(but the attitude of Liam is funny)

I have this magazine infront of me ; There is something I don't agree with.
It says Gn'Rs biggest gig : Cannstatter Wasen , Stuttgart , Germany 27 May 1992 , 75,000.
Now Q mag , have drawn this up based on their biggest headline gig (no festivals).......but I'm sure they have played to bigger crowds.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2004, 07:52:29 PM »

No way Oasis are big at the moment.

They were in the 90s though when they played at places like Knebworth. One night there alone is probably bigger than any show GN'R headlined.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2004, 08:40:41 PM »

In 2004, if Oasis released three news singles in the UK, the first would possibly top the charts, the second would possibly go top 10, the third would struggle for top 20

They are currently average

Possibly, but when was the last time Oasis released an album?  2 years ago?  Green Day could have been written off as just average, and now theyre topping the charts.  And dont Oasis still play stadiums in Europe (Im not sure, so correct me if Im wrong).

But it is an all-time list, and Oasis were a record-setting band.

And why would you question Metallica?  The Black Album alone sold 14 million copies in the U.S.  Theyre one of the few American bands playing stadiums anymore.  I think they should have been higher actually.
2NaFish
Harbinger of doom and gloom
Legend

Something Witty.

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2004, 08:43:38 PM »

No way Oasis are big at the moment.

They were in the 90s though when they played at places like Knebworth. One night there alone is probably bigger than any show GN'R headlined.

/jarmo

Oasis had more fans at Knebworth than Led Zeppelin did all those years ago. In fact i think that Oasis at Knebworth is the largest free standing music crowd ever for a band, or some record like that.

Concerning Oasis, there will always be a level of interest surrounding them in britain as they spearheaded a refreshed rock music scene at a time when the country was going through a real identity change. It's a bit difficult to understand fully if you werent there, and therefore its understandable why they never cracked the states.

Oasis are bigger than gn'r in the UK, and no matter how big gn'r get (i'm talking wildest dreams stuff here) they will not be anything like what Oasis represent to brits. They were the beatles.
Wheres Izzy
I smoke my cigarette with style
VIP

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2004, 08:46:01 PM »

I would have liked to have seen aerosmith on there. They have sold alot of albums I wonder why they're excluded.

Can you imagine, for a second, doing
anything just 'cuz you want to?
Well, that's just what I do so hooray for me and fuck you
AxlRocks
Headliner

I WILL MEET AXL!!!

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2004, 08:46:25 PM »

I agree witha few but I think the list sucks. I'm happy though, GN'R is above Metalica! Smiley

peace ,
AR, AC
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2004, 08:59:30 PM »

Oasis are bigger than gn'r in the UK, and no matter how big gn'r get (i'm talking wildest dreams stuff here) they will not be anything like what Oasis represent to brits. They were the beatles.
I agree with you? 2Nafish. I remember I went to london in 2000 or 2001 and I clearly feel in the air that Oasis strongly changed the UK music history. even the people were strongly influenced by Oasis: same haircut, same style, I saw tons of mini liam or noel gallagher in the streets. and everywhre I saw Oasis posters and flyers....just everywhere in London. then I went to a paperman and I saw 3 or 4 music magazines with Oasis on covers. I remember the album "be here now" went to sell 1 million copies in UK within 24H when it was released in 1997. 1 million copies the first day in UK, that was madness and also a National event. I even saw the prime minister Tony Blair speaking about the Oasis phenomenon on a TV chanel.? Shocked Come on, imagine in the U.S.? Georges Bush talking about Guns n' Roses on CNN... that's crazy.
Oasis were fucking huge in Europe (because it was the same in France, when I was in hight school the #1 band was Oasis). An American can't understand that. That's impossible. Oasis were probably as big as the beatles in the mid and late 90's in Europe. I think they had something like 8 or 9 number 1 singles in the charts...
« Last Edit: October 02, 2004, 09:09:22 PM by nesquick » Logged

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2004, 09:45:14 PM »

Come on, imagine in the U.S.? Georges Bush talking about Guns n' Roses on CNN... that's crazy.

GW Bush's daddy mentioned Boy George during a campaign, does that make Boy George huge in USA?

So Governor Clinton doesn't think foreign policy is important. But anyway, he's trying to catch up. You may have seen this in the news. He was in Hollywood, seeking foreign policy advice from the rock group U2. Now, understand, I have nothing against U2. You may not know this, but they tried to call me at the White House every night during their concert. But the next time we face a foreign policy crisis, I will work with John Major and Boris Yeltsin. And Bill Clinton can consult Boy George. I'll stay with the experts.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Jim
I was cured, all right.
Legend

Singin' tu-lur-a-lei-oh...

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2004, 09:46:22 PM »

This has my vote for being moved to Bad Obsession...?

But yeah, I'm with my fellow Europeons here (well, most of them.? Tongue)

Oasis were fucking huge over here (in England) while I was growing up (I was born in the mid eighties).

They really did change our music culture, and I genuinly have a lot of respect for them.

In England, anybody who thinks that GNR are possibly bigger than Oasis would be laughed out into the street so far that they would fall into the road and a car would run them over.

worst signature.

officially.

not chris misfit.
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: