Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 02:30:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228552 Posts in 43275 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  what if the album/tour bomb?
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: what if the album/tour bomb?  (Read 6828 times)
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2004, 03:38:54 AM »

Everyone keeps saying that "the album will not fail judging by the songs we've heard so far".

Oh My God, Silkworms, and Rhiad are NOT incredible songs... and regardless of whether or not you think these songs "rock", the general public wouldn't accept them, especially from Guns N' Roses.  I wouldn't be so confident about CD being a #1 smash hit, take the world by storm, sold out stadium tour, history in the making type of thing.
Mattman
Sk8er boi
VIP

It's better to burn out than to fade away...

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2004, 04:44:07 AM »

Everyone keeps saying that "the album will not fail judging by the songs we've heard so far".

Oh My God, Silkworms, and Rhiad are NOT incredible songs... and regardless of whether or not you think these songs "rock", the general public wouldn't accept them, especially from Guns N' Roses.? I wouldn't be so confident about CD being a #1 smash hit, take the world by storm, sold out stadium tour, history in the making type of thing.

Yeah, I don't think the album is going to make history.  But what I'm saying is, I think that with the still-potent value of the Guns N' Roses name (as evidenced by the healthy sales of Greatest Hits), the continuing public fascination with Axl, the myth of Chinese Democracy as being one of the great unreleased albums in rock history, and of course the MUSIC, should all combine to make it at least a formidable comeback effort.
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2004, 01:59:41 PM »

but the new band is trying to be something different, so I don't know where they would fit in
They arent trying ot be anything. They are a new band with a new image. The members in the band do not represent the clasic rock scene.
I really don't think that nuGN'R would do any better in a new headlining tour than they would on the first one in 2002, at least not without first releasing the record.  Why?  If I were buying a ticket for a Guns N' Roses arena show, I would be EXTREMELY wary about it.
Agreed. Next GNR will be for the album. Thats why, if its a good album they will have no problem headlining arenas.
His ego is simply too big...playing smaller shows or being the opening act for a more popular group would be a way of saying, "Okay, I admit it, I'm not as big as I used to be."
He doesnt have to play smaller clubs. WHy does GNR have to play a small club tour? I think it would be cool if they did a few warmups in a few clubs but the tour doesnt have to be liek that the whole way.
Gnr are not as big as they used to be because they dont have any material out. If the material they release is good, they can jump right back in to the arenas and build it back up again.

2) The songs we've heard so far are great...at least as good as VR's singles
And the promising thing is that they arent supposed to be thier best songs. Time will tell on that.

It all comes down to the material. If its good and meets or surpasses expectations GNR will have no problem regaining the throne. Will they change the face of music. Highly unlikely. As long as they release a great kickass record thats all I care about. GNR will be fine, they just have to get theior act together in the pr department.

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2004, 03:05:28 PM »

The only thing that could make the album and this "band" flop (it's not a real band but more an addition of musicians) is that people won't identify to this "band". The HUMAN ASPECT is probably as important or even more important as just the music. If the general public sees in the new GN'R a "band without heart and soul" then it's gonna be over and we could already say bye bye to Axl for th next 50 years...
« Last Edit: October 01, 2004, 03:18:26 PM by nesquick » Logged

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2004, 03:07:34 PM »

(it's not a real band but more an addition of musicians)
Well as you create a band you usually have to add people to fill out the group
but sometimes they appear magically so I think I see your point

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2004, 03:12:35 PM »

come on...everybody sees they don't act like a "real" band. Members come and go, the money is probably the most important thing for them (for a real band it would be the passion for music),? there is no cohesion, some live in L.A., some in New-York, some are on solo tour, there isn't a whole band identity, a cohesive musical point of vue...it's just like a big job center. Comparing to the old band (incredible chemistry), It's sad.... no
« Last Edit: October 01, 2004, 03:27:03 PM by nesquick » Logged

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2004, 04:07:27 PM »

come on...everybody sees they don't act like a "real" band. Members come and go, the money is probably the most important thing for them (for a real band it would be the passion for music),  there is no cohesion, some live in L.A., some in New-York, some are on solo tour, there isn't a whole band identity, a cohesive musical point of vue...it's just like a big job center. Comparing to the old band (incredible chemistry), It's sad....
Again, we all know that they are not the conventional band in terms of meeting and living in the grime with each other. We all knwo that.

But what we do know is that thi sband has fromed by each member making recomendations on who to bring in. And most of them have been connected prior to GNR. Its not like Axl has gotten the all stars and just plugged them in the band.

Who the fuck cares where they live. WHat does that have to do with anything? They were in the studio for countless hours jamming and making music. That doesnt count? Remember the articles of th eband working in the wee hours in the studios. HOw quickly we forget.

When did I compare the chemistry of new gnr to old? I hate to break it to you but the old members chemistry began to drift at the end. Were you saying anything then? Did you say anything when Axl and Slash used to communicate on the phone about songs? Of course not

Other than not being originally together, GNR are the band in every sense and have incredible amounts of chemistry.  Most of them have been friends with each other prior to meeting Axl and joining GNR. The members have been jamming with each other and helping each other on albums and tour. WHat more do you wnat. DO you wnat them to eat dinner together every night?

Stop being a lil baby. We know this isnt the conventional band. Yea, you think the band is out of loop when they say certain things but they arent. They know a lot more than you or I. ANd right now, what do you wnat them to do. They have already done the most important part, the music, together as a band. Just because they dont control when they are gonna go on tour doesnt mean they arent a band.
Axl controls the business side of GNR. Why is that a surprise or a shock. He did that with the old band too. When the music finally gets released all this pussy they really arent a band thing will diminish. If the members have said or any1 else involved with the project at one time said, its an Axl solo album and he dictates how and what we play, then you wpuld have a right to talk.
But part of the reason why we have waited so long has been becasue Axl wanted to have a band, a real band, not just superstars. And it took time to get that. Now its other shit thats holding it up...not band stuff...

Crashdiet
Banned
VIP

'Absolutely'

« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2004, 12:13:13 AM »

WHen was the last time you heard an 80ish screamy voice on the radio... other than classic rock stations?Huh

Even in the illusion era gnr didn't have a number 1 hit... and this is 14 years later... don't count on gnr getting anywhere close to the top ten in the single department.

The only reason VR have done okay is that they have a modern sounding vocalist.... you don't hear axl type voices on the radio or mtc..

Sorry but CD won't be a smash... it will do okay because of the diehard following, but axl should scale down to 5000 seaters in smaller cites... 15,000 in big cites like New york... and he'll still probably do great in south america, europe and asia ie 20,000.

But don't expect gnr to be eating up the radio or video waves.... axl's voice is great but far from current or commerical

Check out www.myspace.com/ashjonesmusic
Its me and my songs

Saskatoon, Sask Place March 16 1993

New York, Hammerstein Ballroom
May 12, 14, 15, 17
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2004, 12:15:53 AM »

i know because Axls Chinese Democracy/OMG voice wouldnt fit right in to radio

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2004, 12:29:27 AM »

i know because Axls Chinese Democracy/OMG voice wouldnt fit right in to radio

Then why did OMG tank so horribly at radio?

Just asking....

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2004, 12:30:58 AM »

because it wasnt that great of a single

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2004, 12:33:56 AM »

because it wasnt that great of a single

Agreed. 

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2004, 01:13:41 AM »

From the handful of shows, and festival gigs ive seen this band perform on bootlegs and such, they have undeniably AMAZING chemistry together. I love the old Guns N' Roses lineup, but some of their later performances, take the Tokyo Dome Show for exaple just dont get me excited or hold my attention nearly as much as the new band does. I can watch Leeds, Pukkelpop, or RIR3 a couple times a week and never ever get sick of it. There stage presence alone is gripping and entertaining. Each bandmember is so incredibly unique and talented, that i watch in awe all of there performances. The majority of people on here think Axl's voice bombed at the VMA's, well perhaps it did, but the instrumentation and the stage performance and attitude of the band for me covered that up and only made me appreciate the show even more. How can we say this is not a true, real band? Not one of us have been in the studio while these guys have been recording THEIR project together. We have no idea how high their interaction with one another while recording is, or how they mingle outside the studio together over a beer lets say. Alot of you seem to think because some of the bandmembers are off doing their own thing means that they are non-existent as a genuine band. As stated over and over in many interviews, and from my own conclusions, everyones parts are more then likely done. Axl is now producer of this album, he has the right and desire to modify any material on this album to his liking, then call the other members in to evaluate and analuze the changes with their two cents.

As for the album, well I personally hope that it is a huge success because I idolize and praise Axl to no end and working so long, and so very hard on an album like he has would be devastating if it was not appreciated or sufficiently liked and acknowledged by the public and his concrete fan base. It may be hard for alot of you to digest and yeah it even frustrates me but outside here there is a very limited amount of knowledge circulating in the buying public that since the 2002 tour, Guns N' Roses even exists anymore. If the material is good though then all will be forgiven (i hope). From a critics viewpoint, Im sorry but the album will be torn to shreds. Even I am at times critical as to how an album can possibly take or even remotely be worth 10 years or 8 years of hopeful waithing if you want to be precise. It just isnt logical but I am not Axl Rose and that is just the way he is. I think he appreciates all of his fans but this album is for him more then anyone else. I dont believe he has any ambitions or desires to be a Rock and Roll saviour, or reclaim his throne as the top band in the world. Its just not what he wants. I dont care how many copies this album sells, because I know, I will be happy with it no matter what. I dislike no GnR songs, and see no imminent reason why this album cannot be a masterpiece. As for a tour, I really cant predict that. If the material is recieved well, then I think they will have better luck then in 2002, but thats all hopes that Axl doesnt shoot himself in the foot by neglecting a commitment to his fans most of all to perform on time and to the best of his one in a million abilities. Smiley
« Last Edit: October 02, 2004, 01:16:37 AM by AxlsMainMan » Logged

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
kj_jive
Got troll dolls?
VIP

Found a head and an arm in the garbage can

« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2004, 01:48:56 AM »

[
Yeah, I don't think the album is going to make history.?

The album has already made history! It will sell based on curiosity and brand name regardless of a single.  Even if there was no single released, it would still sell well.  Lots of people are curious about this album and with even a shard of promotion it will do well.  Slither wasn't even that great of a single and yet that album did great!  And please don't say its selling because of Fall to Pieces confused

"This board isn't supposed to be a fucking smiley festival"-Jarmo 3-19-03
St.heathen
VIP

I Won't Be Told Anymore

« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2004, 08:59:56 AM »

One of the reasons people can say it's not such a cohesive "band" as such.  Is because none of them can give a straight answer about when the album is due out.  Every year we have had the same line about "finishing touches". 

Why can't they say it's not done or it is done....  This is the problem or this is the deadline?   Dizzy and Tommy are almost like polititions hoping not to be asked the dreaded question because they don't have an answer lol

I really hope we are not still here this time next year still talking about the what if's?! CD should have been out 2002.  So much time wasted no matter how good CD is (and i do believe it will blow most people's minds)   it will never live up to the myth it has created.

As far as "normal" people are concerned it's been in the making since the last original GN'R album.  We the fans Know a bit better, but most people will be interested because of how long it has taken.  And is it as good without Slash and Izzy.

Theres such alot to live up too.  But i would hate it if there was still no sign of it next year - i'm losing interest as it is lol.

It's a mass of confusion like the lies they sell to you !
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: