Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 10:37:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228551 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Promotional ideas for gnr
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Promotional ideas for gnr  (Read 10827 times)
Timothy
Big T
Banned
Legend

bourgeois democracy

« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2004, 01:56:17 AM »

I think that the Best way for Axl to react to VR would ,be to just say that he is glad that they are doing as well as the are and that he wished them the best of luck on their future endeavors. But that want happen even though it would give no interview ammo on the subject..

?In China, Talk Of Democracy Is Simply That.?
Fuckin' Gunner
Kamikaze
Rocker

nightrain.cjb.net

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2004, 03:22:53 AM »

I think they should release 2 singles before the CD release. If it is really intended to be released in february, I think it's a good idea release a single in october/november and another one in january, for example. Imagine how will the stores be on the release day if they have already released 2 fuckin' great singles...

I think it's important don't make it look like an Axl's band, but like a band... so, will be interesting if all the members could get some media, some attention, not only Axl.

The soundtrack idea could be coll, but I don't see any movie that would make it br something really big, a big sucess (like CD should be).

I really hope they make this release something huge... the management got this chance on his hands... just hope they can make it...

ok

Stay Tuned for news and information on Chinese Democracy coming soon.
[posted 3/9/2003 U.S.A.]

Nightrain - O site mais perigoso do planeta
shaun
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2004, 05:29:30 AM »

When CD is released, i am thinking the CD will be put out in the shops, there will be a few adverts in the usual Rock/Metal magazines, (the new) GN'R will make most of the covers complete with review inside then a few singles will follow. I doubt they'll be doing anything more than that promotional wise.

The GN'R web site is kind of dead, the last failed tour seemed lacking in certain areas, the film footage thing at the back of the stage was not the best idea in the world, even the tickets were basic bland printouts (i remember the UYI tickets looked really rather cool and well thought out). Who knows? the music still good though, and that's what counts  ok

phaseONE
Headliner

I'm a llama??

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2004, 06:07:16 AM »

To be honest, i dont think CD will be promoted very well, nobody will want to touch on the subject,
promotion will be a waste of time, as i can only see CHINESE DEMOCRACY having a shelf life of only a few weeks.
And if there is a lot of promotion, its gonna be a big let down for a lot of people, all hyped up as  ` GUNS N ROSES ` first record in almost 30000000 years, it will have all the hype for nothing as the main fact that it isnt guns n roses, and if the music weve heard from the live shows is anything to go by, its not gonna be anything special but an ` im axl rose rose look at how much my life is a living hell ` kinda cd with lots of piano and self indulgent crap, which is not what guns n roses should be about.

-------and time goes by-------
SON OF A PREACHER
Rocker

Dec 31 2004. Last chance !

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2004, 07:34:41 AM »

To be honest, i dont think CD will be promoted very well, nobody will want to touch on the subject,
promotion will be a waste of time, as i can only see CHINESE DEMOCRACY having a shelf life of only a few weeks.
And if there is a lot of promotion, its gonna be a big let down for a lot of people, all hyped up as? ` GUNS N ROSES ` first record in almost 30000000 years, it will have all the hype for nothing as the main fact that it isnt guns n roses, and if the music weve heard from the live shows is anything to go by, its not gonna be anything special but an ` im axl rose rose look at how much my life is a living hell ` kinda cd with lots of piano and self indulgent crap, which is not what guns n roses should be about.

why are you posting on here, if you believe its not gonna be anything special ?

As for GNR, Ive said it before, maybe the band is not gonna release videos or singles...like pearl jam....I really dont see AXL doing tons of interviews, tons of videos , etc.....Maybe an animated video would do the trick. With an animated Axl-looking SATAN from hell? Grin singing and doing all kind of evil doings in the same vein as the anim? scene in KILL BILL volume 1? peace
« Last Edit: September 26, 2004, 10:06:46 AM by SON OF A PREACHER » Logged

if chidem is not here by new years's eve.I will KILL myself.
DemocracyRose
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2004, 09:14:22 AM »

Mysteron, is this question because the ablums promotion is about to start?? Or something your just trying to start a topic with?? I figured since your active with your posts that something might be going down promotion wise for the first half of 2005?? Any new information on that part, like maybe the website being updated with new information.? Like Axl said, "He's been enslaved to the public for 17 years."

Exactly what im thinking....

What is meaning with this topic??

I mean, are they gonna listening to our ideas??
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2004, 10:12:48 AM »

I exactly had the same though...
the way the "use your illusion" were promoted were just perfect: a big festival (RIR91) + a soundtrack Rock song for a huge movie (Terminator 2) and then the released of the albums a few month later.
Celine Dion also did the same way in 1997/98 with the soundtrack of "Titanic". She sold millions and millions records thanks to that.

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
RnT
Legend

Every saint has a past, every sinner has a future.

« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2004, 11:21:01 AM »

get all the mtv?s around the world and do a ONE HOUR INTERNATIONAL INTERVIEW LIVE with the band playing their first single in the end, I mean, all the mtv?s around the world ( but why not others big channels too? ) showing in the same time LIVE this shit

my idea:
do a 20 seconds VIDEO with the first single WHITOUT showing the band, but in the certain moment of the video, a typical Axl?s scream, and then: " xx / xx / xxxx - DON?T MISS ... " ( and then : live interview and the band playing )
a month after

about the interview, weel, LET US KNOW ABOUT DAY ONE OF THIS ALBUM GODAMN !!!  Grin
make a great interview, talk about all they want... Axl shows the album art and says the release date

tha?s it
even a not GNR FAN will want to see this... trust me

c-ya

AxlFink
VIP

thelesserkings.com

« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2004, 11:38:14 AM »

i think the first single should be an epic type song.  Whatever the best song on CD is- use it.  Axl needs to make the strongest first impression on the music world. 

It's been talked about for so long.  If you just release the second or third best rocker it's like.... we all waited so long for this?   People need one of the "Earth Shattering" songs.

The video should be something that will be so epic that mtv and vh1 have to play it.  They also shouldnt get sucked into a making of the video on mtv because mtv plays those shows a few times and then the video is gone (for rock bands)

they should really have some form of a comercial on the american music awards.
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2004, 01:47:19 PM »

Axl needs to make the strongest first impression on the music world. 

I agree. The first impression will be the key of the future. However he shouldn't release the best song as the 1st single, but the 2nd or 3rd one. Let the general public discover the best song when they buy the record.

axl_rose_700
Legend

Guns n' fuckin roses!

« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2004, 02:43:54 PM »

People have mentioned video ideas for the first single and various other things

What do you think? Is a film soundtrack the way to go forward (taking into account film release first half 2005). How should the first single be put forward. How should the band promote gnr. How would you like the gnr website to run. What should the band do and say with regard to interviews, how should Axl react to VR.....etc...

I would like Axl to do a few interviews in good music mags and mags like FHM but not become a whore to sell CD. I don't want him to become all bitchy with VR, just wish 'em well, and not much else. I'd also like to see other members give interviews in main mags. The first single should just be released as normal asap  hihi  it will reach number 1 and then the album would sell big aswell.

That's a hatrick for Doull
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2004, 02:59:44 PM »

I already voiced my opinions on the first page.. I just think regardless of what they do they need to be as one and get out there months before the album comes out.. Look at how great greenday is doing..
IndiannaRose
VIP

AiN'T iT FuN WhEn YoU KnOw YoU'Re GoNnA DiE YoUnG

« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2004, 03:24:07 PM »

These are just some of the ideas for a portion of the promotion that I've thought of:

- It would be cool if Guns N' Roses played a free concert at Philadelphia and have MTV record the concert and air it as "Guns N' Roses: A Night in Philly" (or something like that). It would get the band major exposure and give out a similar effect as the Ritz 1988 show did. Bon Jovi did this and their "concert show" became the 2nd most watched live concert program in TV history. (Michael Jackson is #1)

- The band needs to do alot of the interviews together in order to show some credibility. They need to be seen as one unit and as a real band instead of a scattered group of musicians. Tommy and Dizzy can do a "Daily Download" interview on Fuse (Slash and Duff did this). The whole band can also have a "sit down" interview on MTV where callers or audience members get to ask questions. (along with the host-probably Kurt Loder).

-With the first single is released they need to release a bonus DVD of something in order to garner more attention from the core fan base. If Axl allows it, the single can include the video of the song and a "Making of (video of 1st single)" type of documentary. The single can also include stickers like the original Appetite For Destruction LP did back in the 80s and a huge poster of the band can also be included. Also if you buy the single you get a "secret" code to the new revamped Guns N' Roses website in order to gain access to some "cool stuff".

-Axl can also do a world syndicated radio interview by himself or with any members of the band and talk about how the album was made and the process and "fuck ups" that came along with it.

-There obviously needs to be a lot of commercials but they can't be like any other album commercial. It could be mysterious and dark just like the first Contraband commercial. (kinda like that "rumored" commercial)

-A Rolling Stone cover and interview would be definately great. Also the band can appear on SNL or on Jay Leno (heck even O' Brien hihi).

*Alright this is a little joke of mine but I would love it if Axl went on Conan O' Brien wearing a "F#$K Axl!" t-shirt. Grin

Well this is what I've thought of thus far. I'm sore more can be added. yes
Christos AG
Taxi Rider
HTGTH Crew
Legend

Been there, done that...

« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2004, 05:32:34 PM »

First of all, make heretodaygonetohell.com the band's official site...

Second, no soundtracks. It's been too long. Release the BEST song of the record as the first single. That should show the whole world what GN'R is made of...

Third, release the damn album.

Fourth, tour Europe and start from Greece. Wink (that's wishfull thinking)...

Fifth, release the second single.

Oh, and for God's sake, do a free concert in Philly and Vancouver... They deserve it...

HoldenCaulfield
VIP

I strike to burn and no flame returns...

« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2004, 05:38:45 PM »

The keyword needs to be "open"! They need to do any and every interview, article, talk show, etc. that they can possibly do to get the image out there, so the public will know it's not the same band. As far as the single, they should release it to radio, like any other band, but with the video, have a "world premiere", where it will premiere in a simulcast on MTV, MTV2, and VH1, all at the same time. They've done it before with Madonna, and they also did that with a Prince concert earlier this summer. Have Axl do a sit-down interview with Diane Sawyer, and let everything go, from past accusations of abuse, to being a troubled kid, basically getting his side of his life out there. But then MTV News should do, like, a 90-minute show, with Axl doing an in-depth interview with Kurt Loder about how he has risen from the ashes of the old band 10 years later, then have the entire band sit down and talk about recording, the album, etc, preview some of the songs, and have the band perform the new single. They need to make it a priority to hit Leno, Letterman, Conan (that would be interesting), Jimmy Kimmel, and SNL. Get the covers of Rolling Stone, Spin, etc.

If a body meet a body, comin' through the rye...
dash
Headliner

Chinese Democracy Starts ....... Who Knows Wen??!!

« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2004, 06:12:47 PM »

i think that should be a commercial that is very strong saying something mysterious, about  a return of something that has been step aside for some years, with some images about China and in the end "February 2004" (hope so!) but never saying what it is. And then some days before the release date a huge videoclip, something strong and violent, like the Welcome to the Jungle clip of live era. i think Chinese Democracy wold be a good choice for a single.
If there is a movie that has to be an huge one
mr_yoshimaroka
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2004, 07:38:58 PM »

No commercials or promotion. Just tour. Axl achieved fame and success before, this album should just be an artistic accomplishment and his emotional expression. There's no need to whore himself out with lame "mysterious" commercials. Marketing like crazy, to me, just degrades what I would envision the new GnR could be. Axl has matured and from descriptions, it sounds like the music has as well (lyrics about social commentary...etc.)
I guess I don't really care about how the album sells, I just hope the whole thing isn't excessive. Making a record just to sound relevant and for people to like you isn't a record making sincere record.
If it were up to me, I'd release the record with little fanfare and under a different name for the album cover. "The Frogs Present: Holiday Songs". That would be a big marketing move unto itself when people realize who the real band is.
 beer
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2004, 07:50:56 PM »

I think one of the most important thing is THE TOUR: make it big. Play stadiums. Every live show should be an event in the country where it will be played. Try to negociate with NBC, CBS, BBC, Canal+, TVE, Rai1, RTPE, RTL, MTV and other huge TV chanels to broadcast a specific Live show all over the world (like the Freddy's Mercury tribute or the Paris'92 show back in the days). etc...
« Last Edit: September 26, 2004, 08:05:49 PM by nesquick » Logged

Pinball Wizard
VIP

Hey, Apple!

« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2004, 08:01:15 PM »

I think one of the most important thing is THE TOUR: make it big. Play stadiums.

and the more important: come to Rio de Janeiro! Maybe a show in Maracan? stadium, just like in 1991 at rock in rio 2...that would rock!!

younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2004, 08:02:14 PM »

I think one of the most important thing is THE TOUR: make it big. Play stadiums.
That would be a dumb move on GNR part. Especially right now. They should release the album an arena world tour. Same as 2002 but this time they will have an actual album and promotion to back the tour.

Stadiums will only come if the 1st album is huge. We wont know until later on. So maybe as the 2nd album rolls around they might be able to get stadiums but that truly is a longshot. If they are able to capure a new younger audience, then mix that with the fans they have already then maybe...but lets not worry about that right now.....

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: