Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 10:30:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228551 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Promotional ideas for gnr
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Promotional ideas for gnr  (Read 10806 times)
Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« on: September 25, 2004, 03:41:50 PM »

People have mentioned video ideas for the first single and various other things

What do you think? Is a film soundtrack the way to go forward (taking into account film release first half 2005). How should the first single be put forward. How should the band promote gnr. How would you like the gnr website to run. What should the band do and say with regard to interviews, how should Axl react to VR.....etc...
MadmanDan
Legend

When yu're talkin' to yourself,and nobody's home...

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2004, 04:03:46 PM »

I think they should use lhe long wait to their advantage,like that boston promo:"It's been too long since you've got yor ass kicked properly!" Make Axl look like the saviour of Rock

"There's only one Return, and it ain't of the king, it's of the Jedi !"
N.I.B
God of Thunder
VIP

Roooowwwwwwrrrrr! Rooowwwwooorrrroorr! Rwwwwaaarr!

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2004, 04:51:13 PM »

i like the soundtrack idea. but i doubt axls gonna go for it.

It's not easy being furry...ever had dandruff on your crotch?
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2004, 04:51:33 PM »

Cool thread....

From day one I have been saying that GNr should not do a movie soundtrack as thier first single. The reason being thier first video should be soley about the band and about the song. I would hate to see their first video in a decade intertwined with a dumb movie.

If they wanna do a soundtrack thing down the raod then its all good but they should stay away from it for atleast the 1st single....

I think GNR should basically promote themselves liek every other band has promoted themselves. Except they should push it  alot more and throw in any new types of promotional strategies they have come up with  hype of the debut of the single. Like have a set time across the country and the radio stations can promote it that way. Stuff liek that....

As for the website. Just have a functioning website will do. Make it look cool and have fan stuff,info etc.

The absolute main thing the band should do is promote and push the new members. If GNr want to be percieved as a band{which they are} management should make sure they get the new members out there in magazines etc. Have the members promote the album on shows etc...not just Axl.

I think they should do a show on MTV about new gnr. Have the band sit around and talk about the whole process and the new album. Axl would be there as well. Then they can debut the video. SOmething liek that would be real cool as well.

As for Axl...he should only do a few main interviews. They shopuld be about the past, present and future of gnr. Discuss the whole process and where he is coming from. Just to get his side out.....Other than that just let the music do the talkin....As for VR...he should react the way he feels about it.

GNR have done a great job in building the mystique around the band and album. Now they have to capitlize on that when they are ready to release it. They should start the buzz and promotion about a month before the release date. That way they can build up the momentum when the album is ready to be released. If they start doing things to early they can lose soem oif that momentum.

I think GNR will do just fine. Its going to come down to the quality of the music. If its up to par everything will take care of itself.

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2004, 05:06:23 PM »

What do you think? Is a film soundtrack the way to go forward (taking into account film release first half 2005).
Batman Begins, maybe? I dunno if its a good idea...  Huh
Anyways, the first single should be released with some new stuff... I mean, maybe release the single as a DVD (5.1 is welcome) with tons of extras like the single's video, some 2002 live videos and, of course, b-sides. It would sell fine in USA, I think...
The website should be just like this one: full of news and with a really good board. Maybe Axl should hire Jarmo Inc. to run his website.
The band should say everything in the interviews, they should be open to talk about the whole process of making Chinese Democracy. I'm sure they have good stories about this past 5 or 6 years. Of course, Axl should talk too. Not as much as the old days, but pretty much about the band and so... Leave his personal life for him.
As for VR, he could be smooth. There's no need to bash the guys, leave them with their own thing.

GNROSAS
Rocker

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2004, 05:35:41 PM »

I think the way to go is to do promotion  based on the mystique surrounding the CD.
Like a promo ad clip with flashing Chinese Democracy release date and Nothing else.
Then No movie Soundtrack, No single No Promo cds to media and Magazines prior to the release date.
So Basically very simple TV + radio Clips stating the release of the C.D and nothing else prior to the release. It would Be cool, The curiosity that has build over the Last Years for CD to be the main force that will make the media and buyers notice the CD on the 1st Day of its release. So Major Banners and On The record Stores the 1st day of the release.

As Far as Communication i think AXL Should release a small Book That will be accompanied with the purchase of the cd and AXl Explaing what happened over the years and his side of the story.

Then Very Selected Interviews with no pre planned questions.

I would like the main Interviews to be held by the new Gunners and their experiences eith the making of the cd.
willow
Legend

AKA Amyl

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2004, 06:37:45 PM »

soundtracks are a good idea, given the movies a possible block buster. They are a great way to promote a band and get help with the expense of a video. Look at Aerosmith, it worked for them.
As for the fan club or website. They need to keep it active. Maybe get someone on the inside, Del or someone to keep us updated. Give us a little of the inside without ruining their privacy. Maybe have interviews with all the guys one at time posted. Just for the site.
I think nothing on the cd should be leaked to anyone before its release!
If a song goes on a soundtrack, don't include it on Chin dem.
Get some photo's up on the site.
Have a link for us to send messages to the band and certain members.

Forgive them that tear down my soul,
bless them that they might grow old.
And free them so that they may know,
that it's never too late.
Timothy
Big T
Banned
Legend

bourgeois democracy

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2004, 06:50:35 PM »

maybe they should have on new song on a movie like The Ring 2 but just have it be a clip, not the hole song. Also I would like to see a web site that actually gets updated.

beer

?In China, Talk Of Democracy Is Simply That.?
TyRod Tulip
War-huh What is it good for?
Banned
VIP

Sweetness is a virtue and you lost your virtue long ago

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2004, 07:22:31 PM »

I think younggunner is right about getting the new members involved with interviews and hyping the CD.? I think Axl should (as is his way) stay in the background during the promotion until right before the release when he can give a 1 hour interview with Loder or Walters or someone big the night befoe the release of CD.?

However, I do think they need a single release or else buyers may think that it is a gimmick to get people to buy the CD because the contents aren't good enough to promote itself.? The single needs to be their best rocker and should follow a 1 hour show about the new band on MTV.

I think it would be so cool to start the promotion by playing a free concert in Philly.? I mean don't even announce the date and time or anything at all.? Just have GNR start playing at the top of those steps from Rocky (where the statue of Stallone used to be - I think it is a museum) and let the word leak out throughout Philly that GNR is playing live at that moment and anyone who can get there can watch them for free.? That type of promotion would be so huge and every media outlet in the world would pick that story up.? Itr will be cold in Jan or Feb, but so what.

I hate the idea of a soundtrack song.? I mean Jan and Feb are traditionally when the worst movies are released.? Stay away from the whole soundtrack thing until? Summer 2005 when major releases come out.

A new website is mandatory.? If it wasn't for the internet there would be absolutely no buzz about nuGNR.? The site should offer member interviews and a great forum (I like the idea of closing this forum and letting Jarmo run the GNR forum).? The site should make fans feel that they are somewhat important considering everything GNR has done to date make us feel the opposite.

As for VR, I think if Axl has faith in the material he should be complementary of VR's debut effort.? I think he should show his security by saying that he thinks they put forth a pretty decent album.? What I don't want to hear is that he won't let interviewers ask him about VR or Philly or anything controversial.

-TyRod-
« Last Edit: September 25, 2004, 08:14:21 PM by TyRod Tulip » Logged
Axl_owns_dexter
VIP

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2004, 08:02:06 PM »

Batman Begins, maybe?

That would kick so much ass.  That movie is going to be really good.

"You want to do something impressive? Get Kim Jong-Il  to sing "Give Peace A Chance." Yeah -- big televised duet with Yoko. That's when I'll be impressed."  - Gary Brecher, the "war nerd"
estranged.1098
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2004, 08:32:45 PM »

Axl has already talked about "VR", he said he won't say anything about them because he doesn't want to promote them.
Timothy
Big T
Banned
Legend

bourgeois democracy

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2004, 08:35:34 PM »

Batman Begins, maybe?

That would kick so much ass.  That movie is going to be really good.

yeah it is but hopefully the album will be outfor a couplr of months . by time the movie come out in June.

?In China, Talk Of Democracy Is Simply That.?
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2004, 08:45:37 PM »

I am being honest, I wish they would act like people with no ties to rock, just act like a brand new band.. DO rounds on stern, do interviews for rock mags, go on mtv's rock show, just be a little himble//Or just have a half hour sit down with kurt loder to be aired.. Do a making of the video.. Do just basic things groups are doing today, much like when afd was launching.. I think it would make the band seem very serious..

Possibly a little interview explaining everything that went wrong, the behind the senes reasons for the delays, I think it would make him look like a good guy, and people will appreciate it.. They also need to do things as a group
Cornell
Nice to you
Legend

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2004, 08:58:27 PM »

I am being honest, I wish they would act like people with no ties to rock, just act like a brand new band.. DO rounds on stern, do interviews for rock mags, go on mtv's rock show, just be a little himble//Or just have a half hour sit down with kurt loder to be aired.. Do a making of the video.. Do just basic things groups are doing today, much like when afd was launching.. I think it would make the band seem very serious..

Possibly a little interview explaining everything that went wrong, the behind the senes reasons for the delays, I think it would make him look like a good guy, and people will appreciate it.. They also need to do things as a group

Thanks for sharing your dream, Mike.  Wink  That won't happen, but damn would  I love to see it!  drool

Why don't you just....
Chief
Legend

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2004, 09:29:30 PM »

I don't like the idea of a movie soundtrack but a big single is needed and a video too i think.  Younggunner had some great points about pushing the other guys in the band and having them give interviews etc.  itunes would be cool to get the single and it should also be released with some bonus material , maybe a dvd? id buy it if it were released.  i think it would rule to have a dvd with the actual album too to get more people to buy it.

they should also play on the late night shows and as many TV appearances as they can get like SNL.

the website should have as much info and media as possible to make up for the lack of a website in recent years.

basically they need to hype it up as much as possible to make it big, and back up that hype with great music!

"That game was gay on gay violence!"

Visit my GNR site Welcome to the Jungle:
http://qfg2.info/gnr.html
N.I.B
God of Thunder
VIP

Roooowwwwwwrrrrr! Rooowwwwooorrrroorr! Rwwwwaaarr!

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2004, 09:35:07 PM »

I don't like the idea of a movie soundtrack but a big single is needed and a video too i think.? Younggunner had some great points about pushing the other guys in the band and having them give interviews etc.? itunes would be cool to get the single and it should also be released with some bonus material , maybe a dvd? id buy it if it were released.? i think it would rule to have a dvd with the actual album too to get more people to buy it.

they should also play on the late night shows and as many TV appearances as they can get like SNL.

the website should have as much info and media as possible to make up for the lack of a website in recent years.

basically they need to hype it up as much as possible to make it big, and back up that hype with great music!

dude thats a good idea. but they should get a soundtrack and a video, then get into all the shows n media coverage. i think that will wokr a little better.

It's not easy being furry...ever had dandruff on your crotch?
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2004, 10:14:46 PM »

They should really stay away from the movies until later on. Why would you want to introduce th eband in a video and have it interupted by movie clips. The 1st single should be there best all out rocker. The video should just be of them and the song concept or whatevr the hell they come up with.

A lot of you made good points about the promotion. I think they will do everything the convential way but they will also do some surprise things as well. I can see them doing a quick pre tour warmup in a club in ny and la. Bands usually do that. That would create a buzz as well.....

Im pretty sure the company and managemnt have a few tricks up their sleeves.

Its going to be a fun ride. We just need to get this long ass line moving......

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
grog mug
Legend

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2004, 10:17:50 PM »

Mysteron, is this question because the ablums promotion is about to start?  Or something your just trying to start a topic with?  I figured since your active with your posts that something might be going down promotion wise for the first half of 2005?  Any new information on that part, like maybe the website being updated with new information.  Like Axl said, "He's been enslaved to the public for 17 years."
yagami1gnr
Headliner

Sultans of swing

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2004, 10:29:46 PM »

I think they have to release first their third or maybe second best rocker not the first, because if you deliver the best at the beginning, most of the rest is not going to seem that great. JMO. Well, hopefully CD has many great rockers. Maybe a rocker epic with a 6-7 minute solo of hard rock.  smoking  peace
cineater
Legend

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2004, 11:18:55 PM »

Should have had the marketing people watching these boards from day one.  They've got marketing people right?  Hire the best ones you can get your hands on, it's not the 80's.

but the train's got its brakes on
and the whistle is screaming: TERRAPIN
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: