Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 27, 2024, 07:49:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228115 Posts in 43261 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Snakepit CDs worth buying?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Snakepit CDs worth buying?  (Read 21616 times)
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2004, 03:37:55 AM »

Can anyone tell if the Slash's Snakepit CDs are worth buying? and if so, where can I find them new? I can only find used ones. I've heard that they're sort of boring, with a few good songs, but I'd like to hear for myself. Thanks...

So, you've heard the opinions how you decide? Smiley

PS: it seems to me that everyone likes different songs from the albums. I think the damned Be The Ball is one of the best music Slash has ever written and intersting because he wrote the whole lyrics, which are not very deep but funny (compares life to a pinball game).  Wink

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2004, 06:03:01 AM »

It's like other people have said here - there's some good songs and there's some bad songs.
The first Snakepit album sounds very gritty and raw, and on the second album Slash took a little more time with the production, so the songs sound more polished.

Back when they were both released, I (like many others here) was starved for new GN'R music, so this was as close as we got, but listening now I struggle to listen to both albums all the way through.

Basically, if you're a fan of Slash guitar, the albums are more than worth it, if you can get past the cringe-worthy lyrics and singing on some songs.

My fav tracks on each are:
Snakepit 1 - Neither Can I, Dime Store Rock, Beggars & Hangers-On, Good To Be Alive
Snakepit 2 - Shine, Landslide, Serial Killer (which has a killer solo!), Life's Sweet Drug, Speed Parade

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
echrisl
VIP

Use My Delusion

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2004, 05:50:45 PM »

The Snakepit Albums took me a while to buy, and I the first time I listened to them I hated them both, because I couldn't get over not having Axl.  However, as I slowly listened to them over months and months I began to like a track here, and a track there, and now years later I consider them both excellent albums.  I prefer Ain't Life Grand to 5 O'Clock Somewhere, because I think Rod Jackson does a much better job with the vocals.  The band is tip top on both albums.  Some of my favorite tracks are:  Be The Ball, Dime Store Rock, Mean Bone, Ain't Life Grand and Speed Parade, but my absolute favorite is Serial Killer, that track is simply better than at least 25% of GNR songs (I know I'm going to get ripped apart for saying that, but ...)

Enjoy the above post while it lasts ... lately posts made by those of us who maintain a firm grip on reality enjoy an infinitesimal lifespan. 

Yes, mods, I have noticed your fine work.  High Five!
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2004, 08:06:18 PM »

They're definetly worth buying, the second instalment has rod jackson at vocals, and slash plays some killer rock, excellent album smoking
Top-Hatted One
VIP

AKA Slash_is_God

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2004, 10:04:32 PM »

but my absolute favorite is Serial Killer, that track is simply better than at least 25% of GNR songs (I know I'm going to get ripped apart for saying that, but ...)

no you are not. So is Beggars and Hanger-ons and Back & Forth again has one of Slash's top 3-5 solos ever.
1. November Rain
2. Sweet Child
3. Back & Forth Again
4.Serial Killer

as far as I'm concerned
tippasaurus
Rocker

You must be the change you wish to see

« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2004, 11:02:57 AM »

If you're a fan of Slash then both are worth buying.   5 O' Clock Somwhere is a little bit more Slash indulgenent than Ain't Life Grand.  On the latter i think Slash tries to make it more  of a band, so he steps back a bit.  The lyrics on both make me feel i've somehow gotten dumber for listening to them, but if they were instrumental songs then i think they'd be pretty good. 

"we are here to learn how to choose and to choose how to learn"
-michael
Top-Hatted One
VIP

AKA Slash_is_God

« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2004, 01:23:27 PM »

put it this way....

5"o clock is extremely uncommercial. A lot of the songs are just jams. Kinda like the blues jams and solos slash did in gnr.

ALG is more like something you would've heard on radio during the early 80's alongside ACDC. It is a lot more polished and fun to listen to but 5o'clock does have some gems.
dontcry44
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2004, 08:53:12 PM »

Slash's Snakepit is what it imply's.... those cd's belong in a Snakepit...  Slash is an amazing guitar player but he can't write lyrics worth shit.... only buy the Snakepit cd's if you are obsessed with Slash's guitar playing or are a hardcore GNR everything person..... but if you are looking for beautiful lyrics and memorable music, I think it got lost somewhere between the years 1987-1993.......

It's hard to hold a candle.... in the cold November rain....
Dizzy
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2004, 10:06:06 PM »

those cds belong in a Snakepit

Well then, I'll call my CD storage rack the Snakepit.

Slash is an amazing guitar player but he can't write lyrics worth shit....

He didn't write many lyrics for the Snakepit CDs, only a couple songs on the first one.  None on the second one.

only buy the Snakepit cd's if you are obsessed with Slash's guitar playing or are a hardcore GNR everything person...

I'm both.    Cool
Top-Hatted One
VIP

AKA Slash_is_God

« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2004, 10:43:37 PM »

Slash doesn't write lyrics? What are u saying? As far as I know "Be the ball" is the only song he ever wrote lyrics to.
ClintroN
The board won't let me use a longer name than this!
Legend

Gimme some fuckin' Democracy

« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2004, 04:40:57 PM »

my opinion,

i love the Pit n' i think Aint Life Grand is filth, personally i think they were much better then VR!!!
Its all about the money Undecided

www.myspace.com/killmondays

GNR - Brizvegas - AUSTRALIA
June -19th 
         -20th, 2007
Aero
Not Axl
VIP

Not Axl

« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2004, 04:57:44 PM »

5 o clock ROCKS !

Eric Dover sometimes sings like steven tyler... I imagine that album with steven on vocals and just drool  hihi

Ain't life grand is good too but a little boring after you listen to it more than few months

peace

Stupid Head
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2004, 06:25:07 AM »

Besides Contrabands ballads, they shit all over that album. imo
Kevin
Opening Act

« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2004, 07:09:48 PM »

get em both i have both n LOVE EM!!

"Umm you''ll see it, I dont know if soon is the word" - Axl Rose
kupirock
Somewhat Damaged
Legend

« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2004, 02:56:59 AM »

If you can get them cheap...get em both or at least 5 o'clock

Monkey Chow, Neither Can I, Beggars & Hangers-On, Dime Store Rock, Shine, Serial Killer kick's ass

"Hearing Don't Cry isn't all that exciting considering there are many youtube clips available of it being performed live." -from mygnr.com-
Eric
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2004, 10:26:56 AM »

Snakepit 95' was neat because it kind of went against everything that was out at the time, obviously against what Axl wanted. I really liked it a lot-the next Snakepit record was just really bad. Neat side projects, but like Axl said, would not have worked for Guns n Roses, but I don't think it makes them bad.
St.heathen
VIP

I Won't Be Told Anymore

« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2004, 10:38:46 AM »

Dime Store Rock,
Soma City Ward
Beggers and Hangers on
and Neither can I. 

Are all fantastic bluesy rock songs imo.  They would make superb Guns records with Axl's imput on the singing and lyrics.
But hey they stand on their own very well imo.

You can hear a little of the  "Beggers and hangers on " riff being played near the end of the Illusions tour actually.  I have heard it a couple of times.

And the Slash snake logo is fantastic.

It's a mass of confusion like the lies they sell to you !
jrs2001_99
Rocker

I can't believe you just said that

« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2004, 01:54:56 PM »

Dime Store Rock,
Soma City Ward
Beggers and Hangers on
and Neither can I.?

Are all fantastic bluesy rock songs imo.? They would make superb Guns records with Axl's imput on the singing and lyrics.

You can hear a little of the? "Beggers and hangers on " riff being played near the end of the Illusions tour actually.? I have heard it a couple of times.

I absolutely agree... I think Dime Store Rock and Soma City Ward in particular would have made awesome GNR tunes with Axl handling the vocals. I love that first Snakepit CD, it's cruelly underrated.

http://www.theanswermusic.com/

The best true Irish rock band since Thin Lizzy
echrisl
VIP

Use My Delusion

« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2004, 04:49:17 PM »

No doubt, that logo has to be one of the best album covers ever IMO.

Enjoy the above post while it lasts ... lately posts made by those of us who maintain a firm grip on reality enjoy an infinitesimal lifespan. 

Yes, mods, I have noticed your fine work.  High Five!
tomass74
Legend

« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2004, 10:25:07 PM »

Dime Store Rock,
Soma City Ward
Beggers and Hangers on
and Neither can I.?

Are all fantastic bluesy rock songs imo.? They would make superb Guns records with Axl's imput on the singing and lyrics.

You can hear a little of the? "Beggers and hangers on " riff being played near the end of the Illusions tour actually.? I have heard it a couple of times.

I absolutely agree... I think Dime Store Rock and Soma City Ward in particular would have made awesome GNR tunes with Axl handling the vocals. I love that first Snakepit CD, it's cruelly underrated.

Agrred, there are some awesome song son there.  It was just tarnished with some cheesy lyrics and vocals which were not really all bad.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: