Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2024, 12:24:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228540 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Illegal I
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Illegal I  (Read 8164 times)
tomass74
Legend

« on: September 21, 2004, 09:56:22 PM »

Not sure there has been a post about this song. I have seen this song refered to as one of the weaker tracks on Contraband. I just wanted to say that it is definately one of my favorites. I think the chorus is awesome and it stuck out to me from the beginning. Not that it is very complex or anything, I just love the way it is sung. I love when he repeats "lying there".? The music is great too. Very underated song!!!!!! Thats all... I haven't really listened to the CD in a couple weeks because someone borrowed it from me. Looks like I will be buying another copy......

"Keep the money bitch
Keep the stuff"
« Last Edit: September 21, 2004, 09:58:55 PM by tomass74 » Logged

Wheres Izzy
I smoke my cigarette with style
VIP

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2004, 10:03:57 PM »

eh, it's alrite. I love contraband but that song kind of blends in. I think the song that kicks the most ass and gets looked over form that album is spectacle.

Can you imagine, for a second, doing
anything just 'cuz you want to?
Well, that's just what I do so hooray for me and fuck you
badgirl
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2004, 10:17:33 PM »

eh, it's alrite. I love contraband but that song kind of blends in. I think the song that kicks the most ass and gets looked over form that album is spectacle.

beer
spectacle rocks my fucking world. Illegal I is only as good to me as it comes before my fave song on the album.
Top-Hatted One
VIP

AKA Slash_is_God

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2004, 10:22:08 PM »

yeah both Illegal anf Spectacle are GREAT songs get get overlooked.  At first I thought Spectacle was the worst song on the album but then I realized how complexed it sounded. It is the best guitar song imo. It kicks ass in the same way Nightrain does as far as guitars go.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2004, 10:35:41 PM »

beer
spectacle rocks my fucking world. Illegal I is only as good to me as it comes before my fave song on the album.
Indeed. Both songs are great. Scott did an awesome job in those tracks and Slash really put a lot of power through his les paul.

metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2004, 01:13:09 AM »

Couldn't agree with you more, Spectacle is my favourite rocker on the album (Motherfucker yeah!!!) along with Illegal I. And how can you not like the awesome drumming in Illegal I??? Matt absolutely rips!!! ok

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
Cowboy Buddha
VIP

Balls of Molten Steel

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2004, 03:06:24 AM »

Not sure there has been a post about this song. I have seen this song refered to as one of the weaker tracks on Contraband. I just wanted to say that it is definately one of my favorites. I think the chorus is awesome and it stuck out to me from the beginning. Not that it is very complex or anything, I just love the way it is sung. I love when he repeats "lying there".? The music is great too. Very underated song!!!!!! Thats all... I haven't really listened to the CD in a couple weeks because someone borrowed it from me. Looks like I will be buying another copy......

"Keep the money bitch
Keep the stuff"

Agreed.  I personally feel, IMO, that this is one of the top 3 songs on Contraband.  Illegal i Song is a crazy song, and crazier live.

I will not change this Sig. until Vikings, Twins, Wild, T-Wolves or any MN teams win a Championship (10/16/06)
darkmonth
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2004, 07:05:34 AM »

Every fuckin' song rocks.  Not one single bad song on the album.

It's all AAA quality.
Mr Cowbell ?
Legend

HTGTH Powerslam Champion / Former WWE Game Champ

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2004, 08:16:39 AM »

Every fuckin' song rocks.? Not one single bad song on the album.

It's all AAA quality.

Not true the producers butchered BIG MACHINE. Live the song has so much energy and vibe and got the crowd going and chanting, but on the album it sounds like shit and sounds repetitive. After a few listens you wonder what the heck happened to this song it had so much potential

Ron Jeremy - BEND OVER.
darkmonth
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2004, 09:01:24 AM »

LIES.  You're wrong.  BM is ace.
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2004, 09:16:02 AM »

Spectacle absolutely rocks...   ok But the vocals on Illegal I sound weird.. Is that Duff? Hate it when he sings Tongue

Fuck 'Em All.
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2004, 09:30:25 AM »

Illegal is a bad ass song.  Best drumming on the whole album.  I love it.
W. Botaxl Rose
Pansy
Banned
Rocker

Hi, I'm Botaxl & I like to cause riots.

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2004, 01:10:36 PM »

I fully agree! I think Illegal I was even voted off 1st in suvivor? However, I think it & SMF are by far the best two rock cuts on the album.

Illegal I takes u alot of places. Love the chorus & I love Slash's little strungout solo towards the end. Plus, it's probably Sorum's shining moment as a drummer. A great song!

Didn't you used to be Axl Rose? Yowza!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVAGh_zRiO4
darkdays_01
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2004, 03:03:22 PM »

Illegal I song, just rocks, my favorite on CB. Great Song. ok
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2004, 03:11:35 PM »

i love the solo of slash's on illegal I

why do people say matts drummin kicks ass on illegal i? is it cause he opens it up with "wipeout" or something? his drummin sounds bout the same to me on every song.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2004, 04:14:40 PM »

I love the drums on those songs, I love the album
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2004, 08:13:37 PM »

i love the solo of slash's on illegal I

why do people say matts drummin kicks ass on illegal i? is it cause he opens it up with "wipeout" or something? his drummin sounds bout the same to me on every song.

I think the drumming intro is a little more full-on than Wipeout, and listen to the rolling drum pattern in the verses, it doesn't sound like straight-ahead rock drumming like in the other songs on Contraband.

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2004, 08:32:36 PM »

sorry his drumming is good i guess, i just have a bias towards Sorum cause i think he's a fake poser and an ass kisser.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2004, 08:43:21 PM »

sorry his drumming is good i guess, i just have a bias towards Sorum cause i think he's a fake poser and an ass kisser.

Got an explanation for either?

His legendary confrontations with Axl doesnt sound like the work of an ass-kisser to me...
Wheres Izzy
I smoke my cigarette with style
VIP

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2004, 08:58:34 PM »

Some would argue that Matt's an asskisser because he stayed close with slash and duff but I think that's ridiculous. I mean wouldn't the safer bet around 96 when he left to have stuck with Axl, one of the biggest rock stars ever, and the GNR name (which Duff was still very much a part of) then to allegedly kiss slash's ass? I think the reason he stayed close with duff and slash is because they got along well and when it came around time for the project duff and slash loved his playing. I mean it's very doubtful they woulda said "we can find someone we like better but sorum baked me brownies this morning and told me my ass still looks good in my leather pants so lets go with him." And as far as being a poser, well I don't know what that's about. Sounds out there to me. And as much as I love Axl you could make much more of an argument he is a poser by trying all new image stuff and the braids and the jersey and all. He looks like the guy in that video by the offspring "pretty fly for a white guy" in that thing.

Can you imagine, for a second, doing
anything just 'cuz you want to?
Well, that's just what I do so hooray for me and fuck you
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: