Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 06, 2024, 01:59:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228155 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Whatever Happened to Axl's Sense of Style?
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Whatever Happened to Axl's Sense of Style?  (Read 9370 times)
Mattman
Sk8er boi
VIP

It's better to burn out than to fade away...

« on: September 20, 2004, 01:45:09 AM »

One of the things about Axl back in his 80s heyday was that he managed to make ANYTHING look cool.  Kilts, spandex biker shorts, red confederate flag jackets, massively puffed up hair, or just plain ol' bandana 'n' leather, he always looked like the consumate rock god in action.  Ever since his attempts at a comeback, though, he's seemed the exact opposite - constantly LACKING in style.  First it was the opened plain white shirt, back in Vegas in 2001.  Then it was the infamous sports jerseys, and the braids.  It all seems like pathetic attempts to have a new style, but really, he doesn't need it.  I mean, he's Axl Friggin' Rose.

By the way, does anyone know how long it takes for Botox treatments to wear off?  Because Axl seemed a whole lot easier on the eyes in 2001, before you could see your reflection in his cheekbones.
ClintroN
The board won't let me use a longer name than this!
Legend

Gimme some fuckin' Democracy

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2004, 02:01:50 AM »

trust me dude, if Axl kept wearing all that shit from back in the day today, you included would knock the shit out of him.

Axl still has style mate, whats wrong with the jerseys Huh

Pathetic attempt you say, do you still want Axl wearing bike shorts???
It just wouldnt work today, dont get me wrong, but c'mon man, do you think anyone would give him a chance if he was still wearing all that stuff. I thought it was all cool, i didnt have a problem at all with his clothes, but what about the ex-members, non of them wear that shit neither.
Motley Crue aint gonna wear all that crape they wore when they do their reunion.

Your last paragraph just tops the cake too, just leave him alone ok

www.myspace.com/killmondays

GNR - Brizvegas - AUSTRALIA
June -19th 
         -20th, 2007
Rocket_queen125
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2004, 03:46:17 AM »

Im with you clintron I wish people would get off his ass about how he dressed man i think the braids are tight and i beleive if he kept the straight plain hair it wouldnt be that apealing to a younger generation.
Mattman
Sk8er boi
VIP

It's better to burn out than to fade away...

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2004, 03:56:49 AM »

trust me dude, if Axl kept wearing all that shit from back in the day today, you included would knock the shit out of him.

Axl still has style mate, whats wrong with the jerseys Huh

Pathetic attempt you say, do you still want Axl wearing bike shorts???
It just wouldnt work today, dont get me wrong, but c'mon man, do you think anyone would give him a chance if he was still wearing all that stuff. I thought it was all cool, i didnt have a problem at all with his clothes, but what about the ex-members, non of them wear that shit neither.
Motley Crue aint gonna wear all that crape they wore when they do their reunion.

Your last paragraph just tops the cake too, just leave him alone ok

Yeah, I know he's older, but I think there's a better way to mature in your style than sports jerseys and braids.? I don't see Jon Bon Frickin' Jovi with braids and sports jerseys (I did, however, see Jani Lane with a mohawk and wallet chain, and Tommy Lee with a Coolio haircut back when that was popular.? But those cases are far more pathetic than Axl's).

Im with you clintron I wish people would get off his ass about how he dressed man i think the braids are tight and i beleive if he kept the straight plain hair it wouldnt be that apealing to a younger generation.

You guys can believe what you want to believe.? But I'm part of the younger generation, and I like the old clothes Axl and GN'R and Motley Crue used to wear.? Not that I think they should be wearing that stuff today.? But I'm forming a band right now and we are gonna have that 80s trash-glam look.? I think it's cool.

So maybe the problem isn't Axl's sense of style, but mine.  In that case, I'm proudly in the camp with Axl 1988 rather than Axl 2002.  That's the guy I admire more, anyway.
Rocket_queen125
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2004, 04:32:03 AM »

sorry dude or should i say mr 5 shots gets me wasted.. but im a part of this generation too and i happen to have grown up with parents that done the whole 80's bs and i can honestly say if axl attempted that i would thrash him... i love the style just not in now 17 years ago it was great but now its just too much
norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2004, 04:47:05 AM »

what happene with axl's whatever?
One word: Age
... when your looks change (like it does with time) you have to follow and throw away some clothes you used to wear.

(still, i don't understand why he don't even sporting leather jackets anymore, even judaspriest (70?) uses them)

Anyway, he's still fit to rock yes

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
willow
Legend

AKA Amyl

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2004, 05:46:27 AM »

What a guy can't change once in a while?? And please don't compare him to Jon, but if you must, Jon has changed a lot too.

Forgive them that tear down my soul,
bless them that they might grow old.
And free them so that they may know,
that it's never too late.
SON OF A PREACHER
Rocker

Dec 31 2004. Last chance !

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2004, 05:54:22 AM »

I dont have a problem with the way he is dressing, not even the braids.....BUT THE CLOTH HAS TO BE SO BIG HuhHuhHuhHuh???ITS LIKE XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

if chidem is not here by new years's eve.I will KILL myself.
noonespecial
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2004, 07:00:08 AM »

"I dont have a problem with the way he is dressing, not even the braids.....BUT THE CLOTH HAS TO BE SO BIG ???ITS LIKE XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX"

hihi
The braids in my opinion make him look like the predator...and we all know what a mean SOB the predator is... hihi
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2004, 07:23:06 AM »

Sure that for those (the general public) who knew the Axl of the early 90's (a huge Rockstar, who dressed like a Rockstar, very muscled etc...), seeing him now with braids and large XXXXXXLLLLLL clothes is a really shock, pretty awfull to watch.
You know Axl just should dress like a normal guy, like Fortus, Stinson, Dizzy or Brain in the band, just normal. Jean + tee-shirt and sometimes fashion clothes. That's it. Look at U2, they all dress normal. The red hot chilli peppers all dress normal. just dress normal.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2004, 07:26:38 AM by nesquick » Logged

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2004, 09:32:05 AM »

it went on a permanent vacation about the time the UYI's was released! Grin

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2004, 09:45:05 AM »

A big predictor of success for Axl and the new Guns is going to be (and I know some of you may get mad at this) is his weight and conditioning.  Out of breath, heavier rock stars can't succeed.  Of course, I am measuring success in plain old $$$ brought in.  The music is going to be great.  I have no doubt about that...but...let's be real.  In the real world, people who look good, i.e. taller, leaner, younger, etc. get paid more per hour for doing the same exact job as others who don't look as good. 
  If Axl comes back looking chiseled, confident, and ready to kick some ass, there is no limit to this band's potential.  I can't f'in wait!!!

-Axl4Prez2004 Smiley

PS If he can do this, braids or no braids, it won't matter what he wears!     

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2004, 09:51:55 AM »

Yeah, Im not a fan of oversized hockey and football jerseys...but its not that big of a deal. 

I liked the blazer look from Las Vegas a few years ago (although I hated the glitter/Chinese shirts)...Wouldnt mind seeing something like that again.
amundsma
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2004, 10:03:40 AM »

He never had a good sense of style. 
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2004, 10:25:15 AM »

For fucks sake!

Endlessly talking about a 42 year old's clothing is very VERY gay

Give it a break

If it bothers u so much go follow another band other wise shut up - we have this thread every 25 mins

''blah blah i hate the braids''

Well go to his house and fuckin' cut them off them.

Axl always dressed weird - its called rock n' roll and its why GNR were so distinctive - now go back to inane threads about axl's teeth or whether Buckethead is better than Slash confused

Quick! To the bandwagon!
horsey
Legend

axl rockz my world !

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2004, 11:25:14 AM »

as for the style i don't have braids.but have had cornrows in  my hair.when the sixers were in the playoffs.the styles did change much since then.and i think he is just going with the times.and just maybe he likes what he wears now.and i do agree it is different to what we are used to.but it seems all normal to me.and i do dress the same way and  have changed from a biker to jerseys also.and sports things i wear now.but a leather sixers coat still.still love leather just not biker leather anymore.and i do like myself more now then yrs ago.

the one an only horsey !
Sterlingdog
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2004, 11:31:57 AM »

I can remember him getting seriously made fun of for the kilt look, and even the biker shorts.  Now some people want that look back?  Some people just like to ridicule and complain.
noonespecial
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2004, 11:42:59 AM »

Izzy--dude--either up the dosage or lower it (whatever it takes) Good Lord calm down...if you can't see the humor in this than maybe you should not have clicked on the topic...it's pretty clear what kind of stuff was going to be talked about... hihi Sheeesh!
The Estranged MrFlashbax
VIP

The Tranquil Jester

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2004, 11:46:50 AM »

i dunno how to explain the jerseys or braids.. but all i can think of is Midlife Crisis..  hihi

Thanks 2 those who went 2 Mustang Harry's on May 12th. That made my first concert experience something I'll never forget. Never did I feel like I fit in anywhere as much as I did amongst you strangers
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2004, 11:48:55 AM »

I can remember him getting seriously made fun of for the kilt look, and even the biker shorts.? Now some people want that look back?? Some people just like to ridicule and complain.
I remember that, people just like everything gnr did back then, as in today.. Everything looks bad as and great today, but for the younger fans they don't realise it wasn't always like that.

I personally think some jeans, or leather pants with a rock t-shirt looks cool.. If I had to pick a look for an older axl it would be the way he looked in the Yesterday's video.. I'm definetly not a fan of the hair n jerseys..When I saw them live I didn't think he needed to keep changing new york jerseys.. I guess he's trying to show appreciation towards the city, but it was never about that..
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: