Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2024, 02:20:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228102 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  duff claims VR is more talented than gnr
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: duff claims VR is more talented than gnr  (Read 84366 times)
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #180 on: September 22, 2004, 05:11:59 PM »

Dave, lets think about all this...

the new GnR, hasn;t proved themselves to be more talented yet...

they butcher... YES... BUTCHER, most of the old songs.? You are a fool if you can';t hear the way they destroyed most of the old songs.

VR play GnR songs better than NewGnR.

And I am sorry, but Contraband is FULL of better material than the new stuff Axl showed off.? Full.

I know it's opinion based, but so is what you are saying.? We all have our opinions.? But I am right Cheesy

You must? really forget how the old guys played the songs live didnt you?
The new guys play the songs just as good if not better than the old band.
Just listen to nighttrain? for example.
The new bands version is much better than the orginal, the problem with people that say the new band butchers the old songs is you are comparing the old bands studio versions to the new bands live versions and you just cant do that.

Id put bostons version of nighttrain against any live perforamce of nightrain you can find from the orginal band.
Take its so easy from boston and put it against VRs live version, the VR version isnt as good.

And Contraband wasnt that great.
Madagascar and the blues are better than anythign off of contraband, and oh my god, riyadh and Cd are better than any rockers on contraband.

You really think anysong on contraband is better than madagascar and the blues?
Most of us have been listening to these two songs for 4 or so years and we are still not tired of them, do y ou really think in 4 years you will still be listening to any song on contraband.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2004, 05:14:28 PM by dave-gnfnr2k » Logged

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #181 on: September 22, 2004, 05:39:18 PM »

Axl is the exception that confirms the rule.It seems that his life has been far from peaceful in the last 10 years.

You think VRs was...Scott in particular?

The band breaking up,the work of creating a new GNR,the pressure on him to deliver,and it seems that his love life hasn't been all roses either.

So youre saying Axl has problems.? Well, I guess that only applys to him and the VR guys have had absolutely zero problems in the past 10 years.? Roll Eyes

?He isn't an ordinary songwriter either.Of course,he wrote songs about sex,drugs& Rock N' Roll,but the themes of his songs arevery varied and original.That's why CD won't be some aging rocker desperate attempt to get back in the spotlight

If you say so...It seems like your point is "Axl is the exception to my inane rule simply because hes Axl."?

And Contraband wasnt that great.
Madagascar and the blues are better than anythign off of contraband, and oh my god, riyadh and Cd are better than any rockers on contraband.

From the same guy who said...

Now listen closely.
Music is subjective. Not everyone has the same taste in music as you.

Hypocrite? 

yes

You really think anysong on contraband is better than madagascar and the blues?

Yes, Mr. Music Is Subjective....there are some who like songs off of Contraband better than anything by the new GNR so far.?

Most of us have been listening to these two songs for 4 or so years and we are still not tired of them

And since when did your listening habits start affecting the opinions of others?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2004, 05:43:02 PM by Booker Floyd » Logged
TK1
Headliner

« Reply #182 on: September 22, 2004, 06:03:57 PM »

Maybe I am in the minority, but I'd say LTA and YGNR are easily as good as Madagascar and The Blues.  I still like Madagascar and The blues, but haven't listened to them for awhile.   Maybe I will be the same way with LTA and YGNR a year from now; we'll see.

As for the rockers, I want to see what Axl comes up with before I compare.   I will say that I must be the only one who doesn't like Riyadh; I think it's one of the worst songs GN'R ever.  Chinese Democracy isn't bad, but I think there are better hard rocking songs on Contraband.  Same with Oh My God...

I will also say I've seen both versions of GN'R live in person and on bootlegs.  I'll agree the new band can rip Nightrain up; they do it very well.  I get tired of Buckethead's constant "Look at how fast I can play" approach, but he does rock on this song.  The new band may have a little more full sound but then again, they have more people playing.  I thought they were great in Columbus 2002, but would probably put that '88 Ritz show still at the top. 
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #183 on: September 22, 2004, 06:09:30 PM »

If you say so...It seems like your point is "Axl is the exception to my inane rule simply because hes Axl." 
As he said...Axl is not an ordinary guy. Hes unique.

Well, I guess that only applys to him and the VR guys have had absolutely zero problems in the past 10 years. 
Yea but the old members dont write about that stuff. They just lay down music. And hand it over to Scott...

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #184 on: September 22, 2004, 06:11:22 PM »

dave I really don't like the blues and maddy, I like the songs off contraband much better..

I was never really into the big epic ballads, never crazy about keyboards or the piano with guns..

I feel with the use of three guitarists they could do much better.... If I had to make a list of the rockers like OMG, silkworms, rhiad, and cd, I'dd definetly have them as weaker gnr tunes, plus the synths, and industrial sound is not why I loved gnr.. I hope the album isn't like those songs..

Put it this way when I heard omg in 99 I was like this is different, then was like geez all these years and this is what we get? I hate sound effects like that..
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #185 on: September 22, 2004, 06:13:44 PM »

Yea but the old members dont write about that stuff. They just lay down music. And hand it over to Scott...

Then that crushes the foundation of his theory, doesnt it?
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

« Reply #186 on: September 22, 2004, 06:21:01 PM »

No, because he is saying with age, they wont be able to write music not just lyrics liek they did when they were younger/hungrier...

I was never really into the big epic ballads, never crazy about keyboards or the piano with guns..
Then you might be on the wrrng board. Gnr will have all out rockers as well as other types of songs. It iwll be  amelting pot so they say....

btw omg is an awesome song, as is silk worms...I htink Rhiad as a whole is the weakest, but i do like the guitars

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
St.heathen
VIP

I Won't Be Told Anymore

« Reply #187 on: September 22, 2004, 06:44:03 PM »

Doesn't that line right there, strengthen Duff's statement - which started this topic?

It's a mass of confusion like the lies they sell to you !
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #188 on: September 22, 2004, 07:24:25 PM »

Doesn't that line right there, strengthen Duff's statement - which started this topic?

No it does not since I implied duff saying Vr is more talented meaning not just live, duff IMO was always talking about writing songs since its been said by he and slash VR is the best stuff they have ever done. Cool

Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Wheres Izzy
I smoke my cigarette with style
VIP

« Reply #189 on: September 22, 2004, 07:30:45 PM »

I think Duff has a valid point. At least playing wise. I mean him and Slash are probably better players than they were 19 years ago or even 12 years ago. Same with Matt. But as far as overall I love contraband but the songwriting on any gnr album is better. But any song on contraband is better than the stuff I have heard from the new gnr. Well at least that's my opinion which means anyone who freaks out is being stupid. And the exact same rules go for what Duff said because it is HIS OPINION.

Can you imagine, for a second, doing
anything just 'cuz you want to?
Well, that's just what I do so hooray for me and fuck you
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #190 on: September 22, 2004, 07:41:02 PM »

No, because he is saying with age, they wont be able to write music not just lyrics liek they did when they were younger/hungrier...

Because their lives were "peaceful," which weve discovered isnt the case.  That was the foundation of his thoery.  And he listed some complications in Axls life that "proves" hes an exception, when anybody could easily do the same for any member of VR.   

btw omg is an awesome song, as is silk worms...I htink Rhiad as a whole is the weakest, but i do like the guitars

Well similar to how some express disbelief at how anybody could possibly enjoy VRs songs more than Axls, I have to admit to having similar feelings for those who dismiss Contraband and call "Slikworms" awesome... Undecided
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

« Reply #191 on: September 22, 2004, 07:54:07 PM »

Well similar to how some express disbelief at how anybody could possibly enjoy VRs songs more than Axls, I have to admit to having similar feelings for those who dismiss Contraband and call "Slikworms" awesome...
I really dont get on peopel for liking CB. If you like it great. Its music everyone has an opinion. I know many dont like silkworms or whatver, I could careless. It gets me excited, I enjoy it a lot when I listent to it. I dont sit there and say gee golly Booker and the gang say Silkworms is bad, I cant like this.

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #192 on: September 22, 2004, 07:58:46 PM »

I think it's rather obvious what Duff means, he and Slash are much better players and have honed their skills to a greater degree.  Personally, Duff no longer has the annoying "clank" and Slash has evolved as a player far more than I could have ever hoped.   Matt's a better player than he was circa '93 and isn't confined, limited or restrained by the majority of VR material as he was in his days in GNR.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Layne420
Rocker

« Reply #193 on: September 22, 2004, 08:06:56 PM »

Slash and Duff can claim anything they want but It's all about fucking Axl Rose  ok

When there's no more water left
And no more air in our breath
What will this earth be worth?
Do you want war or peace?
Blood for oil greed
Won't feed, won't the hunger our need

FLOW
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #194 on: September 22, 2004, 08:19:13 PM »

I think it's rather obvious what Duff means, he and Slash are much better players and have honed their skills to a greater degree.? Personally, Duff no longer has the annoying "clank" and Slash has evolved as a player far more than I could have ever hoped.? ?Matt's a better player than he was circa '93 and isn't confined, limited or restrained by the majority of VR material as he was in his days in GNR.

So why is it such a stretch to say the new gnr are better players than the original gnr?

MR.BROWNSTONE
Sir Post-a-lot
Legend

I'm a supreme Guns N' Roses fan.

« Reply #195 on: September 22, 2004, 08:43:38 PM »

I think VR is a great new bandf out there right now and I'm sure they will be around for ahile. I kinda shocked that   Duff siad, something like that. They will never reach the level GNR were at and going to be again.  They both are very talent fully bands to get me wrong but it's just not going to happen.

12-6-02,5-12-06,5-14-06,5-15-06,5-17-06,11-5-06,11-10-06,11-13-06,11-24-06
1-28-10,10-28-11,10-29-11,11-17-11,11-20-11,11-26-11,12-30-11,12-31-11,2-12-12
2-23-12,2-24-12,2-27-12,3-12-12,11-23/24-12
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #196 on: September 22, 2004, 09:58:28 PM »

I think it's rather obvious what Duff means, he and Slash are much better players and have honed their skills to a greater degree.? Personally, Duff no longer has the annoying "clank" and Slash has evolved as a player far more than I could have ever hoped.? ?Matt's a better player than he was circa '93 and isn't confined, limited or restrained by the majority of VR material as he was in his days in GNR.

So why is it such a stretch to say the new gnr are better players than the original gnr?

I don't really think it's that much of a stretch to conclude that either, though Axl's new guys don't have too much creative experience collectively, it's still a good assembly of musicians who played the old songs pretty damn well in '02.?

However, if you lined them up today (less frontmen and sans keyboard players from GNR just for comparisons sake) 4 on 4, Robin, Richard, Tommy and Brain vs Duff, Slash, Matt and Dave, that's pretty much a no brainer as far as creative resume's.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #197 on: September 22, 2004, 10:37:28 PM »

I don't really think it's that much of a stretch to conclude that either, though Axl's new guys don't have too much creative experience collectively, it's still a good assembly of musicians who played the old songs pretty damn well in '02.?

However, if you lined them up today (less frontmen and sans keyboard players from GNR just for comparisons sake) 4 on 4, Robin, Richard, Tommy and Brain vs Duff, Slash, Matt and Dave, that's pretty much a no brainer as far as creative resume's.

I disagree in part.  Tommy is more talented than Duff. Tommys solo work is by far better than Duffs solo work.
This bad was much stronger with BH on co lead but they are still pretty damn good without him.
I think robins talent is really going to shine when we hear his work on CD.  His blues solo is awesome IMO.

younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

« Reply #198 on: September 22, 2004, 11:03:28 PM »

To be fair, although the members of new gnr solo work is excellent and stands on its own merit, they are now in a band. And they have to mesh as a band. And they have to make material that meets or surpasses what the old lineup did as a group...

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #199 on: September 22, 2004, 11:03:45 PM »

Duff's solo work is horrific, got to go with Stinson on that one.? But, within the make-up
of a group, Duff's far exceeds Tommy (so far).? Tommy wasn't a creative force in the "Mats and we have nothing to go with GNR.? Nod to Duff.

I liked BH in GNR but I never felt he elevated the group, (that's just my opinion) musically, the disebodied schtick attracted me to him.? He's an original, that's for sure.? ?The fact remains he's never wrote one song within the body of a group that's remotely memorable or etched in the fabric of the musical listening public...yet.

Nod to former lead guitar player.

Robin is what got me interested in New GNR (Rose, love him or hate him, is always interesting, GNR or not).? I loved his stage presence in nails and enjoyed his interpretations of the old tunes in 02.? He's just got to prove he's got the creative goods to carry the band guitar wise.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 18 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: