Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2024, 01:31:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228102 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  duff claims VR is more talented than gnr
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: duff claims VR is more talented than gnr  (Read 84286 times)
PhillyRiot
I'm super, thanks for asking
Banned
VIP

Please Return to Philly

« Reply #140 on: September 20, 2004, 03:46:36 PM »

God the Axl ass kissing is out of control.  CD is coming out in November, November becomes February, February will then become May.  It never ends. 

If it wasn't for bootleggers, you'd have Oh My God and and the VMA medley.

You people act like Axl is the second coming of Jesus Christ.

I don't need the Internet to be a GNR fan.

www.myspace.com/earl31   Talk Radio Pranks
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #141 on: September 20, 2004, 04:37:21 PM »

God the Axl ass kissing is out of control.? CD is coming out in November, November becomes February, February will then become May.? It never ends.?

Isn't that weird that on a Guns N' Roses board you might find people who actually like Axl? Who knew!  Shocked

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
sergejg
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #142 on: September 20, 2004, 04:47:04 PM »

God the Axl ass kissing is out of control.? CD is coming out in November, November becomes February, February will then become May.? It never ends.?

He is. We will see him walk on water shortly after Chinese Democracy,.
PhillyRiot
Banned
VIP

Please Return to Philly

« Reply #143 on: September 20, 2004, 05:15:28 PM »

You will see him walk on water, because Chinese Democracy will be released when hell freezes over.

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #144 on: September 20, 2004, 05:35:50 PM »

You will see him walk on water, because Chinese Democracy will be released when hell freezes over.

rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl

Good one philly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the only thing better about Duff now is his apperance, im very impressed with how he looks now and how well he changed his appearance.

i like velvet revolver, i like scott weiland BUT axl would still be more entertaining sitting on a stool singin show tunes than VR are.  VR are entertaining, i have their new york ballroom show on dvd *thanks skippy* and it rocks but better than GNR? are u kiddin me?

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #145 on: September 20, 2004, 06:03:51 PM »

I would say it's the most intelligent post in weeks, but I can't say it, 'cause I really like all your comments and like your fight against stupidity. How sad you can't make others think....

So I agree with you and it's good to read comments like yours.
What??? Huh

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #146 on: September 20, 2004, 06:13:21 PM »

The funny thing is, if axl said the same thing about the new band being a more talented live band than the old, there would be a thread with over 100 posts bashing axl and cussing him out.

I agree with that, And it's funny cos Matt said in inferno (finnish mag) that "we 3 (slash, duff, matt) were the good guys of GNR, and that they always gived 100% in their performance....Now Duff is saying that they were fucked up 99% of time

rofl
this contradiction is nothing new
they are always changing their stories
its obvious that either only one or the other is true
and oh.. they don't play wasted anymore
uh-huh... yeah... right
Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #147 on: September 20, 2004, 06:27:32 PM »

It's a more talented band that we have now, much more talented than Guns ever was

there is so much speculation in this thread about what Duff 'meant'
what he said is very clear

As players we weren't really maximising our potential.
YG:? Thats why you and the redhead have parted ways.

hihi? Another GOOD one YoungGunner? ok
yet, Axl will still always get the blame from some fans for GN'R's demise? no

So, as far as aggression and talent are concerned, this is a much better band.

again, he makes it clear that he is not specifying 'live playing'... he said this band is more aggresive and more talented
whats up for argument about what he meant?? Roll Eyes

YG:? Duff, you have a nice lil band. Lets not drink too much of the coolaide....
hihi

My thoughts on duff's foot in mouth disease:

* ...To say that VR is more talented, considering 3/5 of the band is old GnR, essentially means that Scott and Dave are greater than Axl and Izzy, which of course is wrong.

it is NOT far fetched to conclude this as KillingVector and OTHERS who read his comments concluded...

for that matter...? shouldn't we really talk about 2/5 of the band as Steven was the original and definitive GN'R drummer?
so Scott, Dave, and Matt are better than Axl, Izzy, and Steven....?
besides Duff maximizing his potential now and Slash displaying more talent now than he did when he was in GN'R (god I almost 'gagged' on that phrase).
*goes to play NR and Estranged.. and DTJ... and SCOM Slash parts* Grin
« Last Edit: September 20, 2004, 06:30:40 PM by Eva GnRAxlRosette » Logged
St.heathen
VIP

I Won't Be Told Anymore

« Reply #148 on: September 20, 2004, 07:16:53 PM »

S-tone Quote: just the fact that he is comparing the vr record which i can't even remember the name of and listened to 1 time to appetite for destruction and use your illusion 1 & 2 [end Quote]

If you have only listened to it once. Does that make your opinion as valid compared those who have listened to it since it came out?  You have potentially had the best part of what? 13 years? To listen to those albums. So it will be hard for even CD to measure up to them.

younggunner Quote: I think Axl summed it up best in Albany. But ill put it in the context of old gnr as a group...

Old gnr talk a big game but when its all said and done its just not there. I particularly mean in terms of music. They say how Axls ideas were crazy, they just wanna rock, yadayadayada, u know the rest....yet when they put out thier album,IMO it doesnt match up to what they are capable of or have been talking about. Thats my biggest problem with the old guys...
[end quote]

They have continued to work though. They have worked away from each other for a good number of years and between them. They  have played a variety of styles.  Released a number of albums, have many gigs under their belts.   Always given time to the fans after gigs spending hours after the gigs with fans and fans appriciate that.

But what they are doing now musically  is a result of being apart.  Growing up on a personal level. Wanting to be a band again. Wanting to work with the chemistry they have got together. But in a different environment away from the stress's and excess' they once had between them.   I'm not saying they weren't part of the problem in GN'R'S demise. They have admitted their faults themselves.

The fact; which is a hard one to over look. Is that 4 out of 5 of the original GN'R, have over the years, sorted their differences. Because i really don't think it's a simple old GNR vs Axl - thing.  I think they all pissed each other off at some point.  And we have read various bits and pieces over the years that suggest that.
But they have all been able to put their differences aside and have all played together since they broke up. 

You can't always hold people to everything they have said in every interview over the years.  People live, experience, succeed, fuck up, get angry, then learn from mistakes and othertimes they are chilled and talkative.

They (ex-GNR) have moved on, they know what they want to do, where they want to be and they know what stress' they don't wan't to have around them.  They have made a great record and they did it with no fuss.   I really don't see the - Slash didn't play aswell as he could have - thing.  I see him trying to create a new band.  They have a shared vision on things  and if it's to be a true band, then you have to give them time. Scott doesn't want to be fronting a GN'R either.  He himself has ...not held things back.  But is trying a difference in his approach - so i see it anyway.  He hasn't come on in drag yet lol  I'd love to see peoples reactions to that lol

The next album has the potential to be something really exciting because they are finding their feet again together  and with two new people involved.  The confidence of having a good successful album and live dates behind them will make a big difference imo. 

This is not all deciated to you youngaxl lol  I went off on one slightly there lol You know what its like dude.     

It's a mass of confusion like the lies they sell to you !
R4tfink
Naked Waldorf in front of the computer
Legend

Fuckoffsville.

« Reply #149 on: September 20, 2004, 07:46:55 PM »

How do you know he isnt?

younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

« Reply #150 on: September 20, 2004, 08:23:06 PM »

They have continued to work though. They have worked away from each other for a good number of years and between them. They? have played a variety of styles.? Released a number of albums, have many gigs under their belts.? ?Always given time to the fans after gigs spending hours after the gigs with fans and fans appriciate that.
Yes they have. And thats great. BUt for me personally none of that work has gotten me exited or said wow, they are living up to their potential.
If its an image/public thing, then yes they have been out here doing whatver.

Yea, Axl chose to remain out of the spotlight all of these years, I atleast know he hasnt been doing nothin. I know that he and the band have worked extremely hard in not just making music, but have been working hard to make meaningful music that we once enjoyed. I know that music is thier number one concern and not the past and who they are today.
And on the 2002 tour Axl and the band hung out with fans as well. But Ill give you that they arent a fan friendly band in that regard. They are tehre to do one thing, put on the best possible performance they can, anything after that is gravy....

The fact; which is a hard one to over look. Is that 4 out of 5 of the original GN'R, have over the years, sorted their differences. Because i really don't think it's a simple old GNR vs Axl - thing.? I think they all pissed each other off at some point.? And we have read various bits and pieces over the years that suggest that.
But they have all been able to put their differences aside and have all played together since they broke up.?
And thats great. But what does that exactely mean? How come Axl is frowned upon if he has chosen not to be involved with them? Does that mean hes selfish and cant let go of the past? Why cant it just mean that he wants nothing to do with them for whatver the reason? Why do people have to choose his friends? Hes a big boy.
Yea, it would have been nice if they could have all settled their differences. But this is not fairy tale land. People have issues with other people, people feel betrayed, etc etc....
I understand the old lineup has settled their minimal differences. I just dont get why pquote] eople get on Axl for not wanting to get back with them.? Hes doing his thing and the old guys can do thier own. I just dont need them telling me that their current band has more potential than old gnr because they are more wiser. Ill take a fucked up old gnr anyday of the week

They (ex-GNR) have moved on, they know what they want to do, where they want to be and they know what stress' they don't wan't to have around them.? They have made a great record and they did it with no fuss.
Ok and? Im glad you think its a great record. If it works for you then thats great. BUt to the majority of the world its not a great album. This album or its song will be discussed in a few yrs from now. The reason we are expecting so much is because of thier past and their capabilities.

I really don't see the - Slash didn't play aswell as he could have - thing.? I see him trying to create a new band.? They have a shared vision on things? and if it's to be a true band, then you have to give them time.
They can all the time in the world. BUt when the members themselves proclaim that this band and album reeks fo danger, etc then you have to step up to the plate. You have to walk the walk. You talk all attitude and a big game, you then gotta do it.
How come Slash didnt need time to create one of the best band ever with his debut album? Now he needs time because?
Im not syaing you have to make a brilliant album every time. But when you say things you have to step up. You cant just say tehm and expect people to buy into it, no matte rhow big you once were.

Scott doesn't want to be fronting a GN'R either.? He himself has ...not held things back.? But is trying a difference in his approach - so i see it anyway.? He hasn't come on in drag yet lol? I'd love to see peoples reactions to that lol
I woulkd agree only if they werent playing GNr {or even STp} covers, and have Izzy Stradlin come out jamming on stage. You cant have 4 ex gnr members on stage and expect the fans not to think about old gnr, etc

This is not all deciated to you youngaxl lol? I went off on one slightly there lol You know what its like dude.? ?
lol, its cool. I understand. It happens, I go off and little rants many atime.

And you would know how?
NOt to sure about this, but wasnt everyone saying how Slash came out on stage all wasted a few months back? I particularly dont care. Its rnr, but since you asked I thought id reply.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2004, 08:26:14 PM by younggunner » Logged

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Boner
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #151 on: September 20, 2004, 09:56:48 PM »

the only thing better about Duff now is his apperance, im very impressed with how he looks now and how well he changed his appearance.

i like velvet revolver, i like scott weiland BUT axl would still be more entertaining sitting on a stool singin show tunes than VR are.? VR are entertaining, i have their new york ballroom show on dvd *thanks skippy* and it rocks but better than GNR? are u kiddin me?

yes indeed.

Axl can release a record with full of his own farts and it will be better than VR contraband!

Contraband is very disappointing record!    Angry
MsDuffMckagan
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #152 on: September 21, 2004, 12:42:00 AM »

Contraband is very disappointing record!? ? Angry

Wow, I didnt know someone could ACTUALLY say that lol...but hey its all in opinion, and I think thats how we should look at Duffs comment...Im a fan of Duff, always have been, always will be..
Erin
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #153 on: September 21, 2004, 03:08:48 AM »

i like velvet revolver, i like scott weiland BUT axl would still be more entertaining sitting on a stool singin show tunes than VR are.? VR are entertaining, i have their new york ballroom show on dvd *thanks skippy* and it rocks but better than GNR? are u kiddin me?

yes indeed.

Axl can release a record with full of his own farts and it will be better than VR contraband!

I always had the fear that some of you think this way. How fuckin' sad.  Sad

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
PhillyRiot
Banned
VIP

Please Return to Philly

« Reply #154 on: September 21, 2004, 11:05:20 AM »

The joy I get from Slither and SuckerTrain Blues, has far exceeded the enjoyment I get from Madagascar, the Blues, or Chinese Democracy.  It is just a matter of opinion. 

But really the bottom line is there is no Chinese Democracy.  There is Contraband.  And I like Contraband.  When the new GNR actually brings something to the table mabey we can talk. 

slashsaxl
VIP

I'll never find anyone to replace you....

« Reply #155 on: September 21, 2004, 02:56:10 PM »

well thats how duff feels, he feels tighter and with vr and is feeling the energy with them, i think he means as a unit being talented on stage with a tight set. i can't believe he would even think that as for music wise, gnr could be topped, by even themselves or by even the new gnr. he was right on one thing when guns were on they were magical, i can't even imagine the feeling of having the power to make a whole stadium full of people rise to their feet wanting more.

rock n' roll

To Be A Rock And Not To Roll....
dontcry44
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #156 on: September 21, 2004, 05:29:34 PM »

I really don't know what Duff is talking about when he says VR is more talanted then GNR.  Its almost like a marketing plot.  There isn't anything memorable at all about Contraband.  None of the songs really stand out as true classics and its not entertaining when you hear Scott Weiland singing but in the back of your head, you wish it was Axl.  It doesn't matter how much talent is in your band, if you can't creatively write music then your screwed.  Axl can accomplish more by himself then VR can accomplish without Axl.  There is a hell of a lot of talent in VR but Contraband just plain sucks.

It's hard to hold a candle.... in the cold November rain....
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #157 on: September 21, 2004, 05:43:45 PM »

I really don't know what Duff is talking about when he says VR is more talanted then GNR.? Its almost like a marketing plot.? There isn't anything memorable at all about Contraband.? None of the songs really stand out as true classics and its not entertaining when you hear Scott Weiland singing but in the back of your head, you wish it was Axl.? It doesn't matter how much talent is in your band, if you can't creatively write music then your screwed.? Axl can accomplish more by himself then VR can accomplish without Axl.? There is a hell of a lot of talent in VR but Contraband just plain sucks.

Speak for yourself  ok
damnthehaters
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #158 on: September 21, 2004, 10:22:31 PM »

I really don't know what Duff is talking about when he says VR is more talanted then GNR.? Its almost like a marketing plot.? There isn't anything memorable at all about Contraband.? None of the songs really stand out as true classics and its not entertaining when you hear Scott Weiland singing but in the back of your head, you wish it was Axl.? It doesn't matter how much talent is in your band, if you can't creatively write music then your screwed.? Axl can accomplish more by himself then VR can accomplish without Axl.? There is a hell of a lot of talent in VR but Contraband just plain sucks.

I would agree, however I wouldn't say that Contraband sucks.   I think that Velvot Revolver is a good band, but if we are getting critical, then here it goes... 

There are no songs that really stick out.  I have talked to a lot of people about this new band and asked what they think.  I get the same answer from a lot of people.  "It's good, but it's nothing special".  I would have to agree.  I like the song Slither, but it's not going to be a song that people remember down the road.  Now I'm not saying that VR isn't talented, I'm just saying that after 1 album, they haven't done anything that any other band out there hasn't or isn't doing.  They don't set themselves apart from anything out there today.  This is the reason I have grown to love and stick with Axl.  I truly think Axl has the ability to write music of this sort (something that can really stick out and change music), and he also has that distinct voice or voices that make him one of a kind.  People will always remember songs like November Rain and Sweet Child O'Mine (songs in which would have never been GNR if he wasn't there).  Also because of the way he sings, a lot of people tend to remember GNR's version of Knockin On Heavens Door as apposed to Bob Dylan's (and this can be debated, but I think you guys get my point).

So all in all, I think Velvot Revolver is a good band, but not anything special.  On the other hand, I think wherever Axl is, that project can be special.

peace and rock on!   

2002- Tacoma, WA
2006- New York, NY
2006- Everett, WA
2006- Portland, OR
2011- Denver, CO
2011- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Philadelphia, PA
2016- Seattle, WA
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

« Reply #159 on: September 21, 2004, 10:29:02 PM »

There are no songs that really stick out.  I have talked to a lot of people about this new band and asked what they think.  I get the same answer from a lot of people.  "It's good, but it's nothing special".  I would have to agree.  I like the song Slither, but it's not going to be a song that people remember down the road.  Now I'm not saying that VR isn't talented, I'm just saying that after 1 album, they haven't done anything that any other band out there hasn't or isn't doing.  They don't set themselves apart from anything out there today.  This is the reason I have grown to love and stick with Axl.  I truly think Axl has the ability to write music of this sort (something that can really stick out and change music), and he also has that distinct voice or voices that make him one of a kind.  People will always remember songs like November Rain and Sweet Child O'Mine (songs in which would have never been GNR if he wasn't there).  Also because of the way he sings, a lot of people tend to remember GNR's version of Knockin On Heavens Door as apposed to Bob Dylan's (and this can be debated, but I think you guys get my point).

So all in all, I think Velvot Revolver is a good band, but not anything special.  On the other hand, I think wherever Axl is, that project can be special.

peace and rock on!   
I agree with just about everything you said. With GNR I get this special feeling and excitement knowing that they have the potential to be something big yet different than all the others.

In summary...
VR rock, GNR will rock the world

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 18 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: