Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2024, 01:52:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228102 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  duff claims VR is more talented than gnr
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: duff claims VR is more talented than gnr  (Read 84325 times)
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #100 on: September 18, 2004, 04:38:00 PM »

nesquick it takes time to become established, the group has only been around a few months album wise.. You can't expect a band to be global in such a short period, tehy may be from groups that were great but they still need to follow the guidlines like a nerw group to become known worldwide

By the time gnr was playing KOHD, and songs from the illusions they had toured all over and been out for years n years,.. I definetly think new gnr has the chance to go global very quickly because they're know all over the world, the name vr isn't known yet.. To be honest I'm supirsed how good vr is doing already..

Everything takes time..
yes and no. I mean "contraband" is way too "hard" to be popular in a country like France. It sounds too metal, too loud to be "global". It's not good enough to be appreciated by the whole general public. Guns n' Roses did it back in the days mainly because of the music wich was universal mainly because of Axl Rose songrwriting talent. He knew how to make the perfect sound that everybody could enjoy (teenagers, men, women, everybody). In fact Axl knew how to make a Hit. Even today, look at "the blues"...it could be an instant Hit. a # 1 pretty easily. It just sounds like a Hit: Piano, mid tempo song, a blues-rock vibe, and wonderfull to listen to. So it's not only a question of time, but mainly a question of music.

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #101 on: September 18, 2004, 05:08:34 PM »

I agree the blues could be a big hit, it's very pop radio friendly.. It's the type of song all ages could enjoy.. I agree the illusions was an album for everyone, but it did start with afd best debut from a band

The reason gnr was big wasn't just about song writing, it was because of their attitude during a period in music where it was dominated by hairbands, their style and decadent lives were a breath of fresh air.... Their music had greeat writing, vocals and killer guitar.. It was a lethal combo..As for the sound not being able to move in certain areas, I would say I don't agree.. Believe it or not one of the most anticipated albums (number one in entertainment weekly) is system of a down.. I can't speak for France, but in the USA a hard rock band can easily be huge,..
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #102 on: September 18, 2004, 05:18:02 PM »

Alot of the places that Velvet Revolver played at in the US only held like 300 to 500 people.? Therefor, selling out a venue wasn't that hard to do for VR.? ? ? ?

Huh

I think you mean 3,000 to 5,000

Maybe it wasnt hard, but the fact that most sold out in mere minutes is kind of impressive.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #103 on: September 18, 2004, 05:32:23 PM »

Alot of the places that Velvet Revolver played at in the US only held like 300 to 500 people.? Therefor, selling out a venue wasn't that hard to do for VR.? ? ? ?

Huh

I think you mean 3,000 to 5,000

Maybe it wasnt hard, but the fact that most sold out in mere minutes is kind of impressive.

Very impressive, and very smart.

The buzz they created with the sold out shows makes for great copy and helps bring a sense of urgency to to ticket buyer.

Just one in the long line of brilliant moves made by VR and management.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Mattman
Sk8er boi
VIP

It's better to burn out than to fade away...

« Reply #104 on: September 18, 2004, 05:58:38 PM »

I think Duff meant that as a live band they are stronger musicians in Velvet Revolver than they were in Guns N' Roses.? I mean Contraband is no way as good as Appetite, but in the studio you get to keep doing it until you get it right - live you only get one shot and if you are totally hammered, there is good chance you are gonna screw it up.? Guns were so screwed up back in the day that they were sloppy in a lot of their concerts - even their best ones.? For instance, the Ritz 88 show Axl himself said "the rest of the country might think we are the sloppiest band in the world - but I really don't give a fuck".? Axl has also said that they had to turn down Izzy's guitar because he would be in the wrong key or even playing the wrong song.? Duff totally butured the opening of Sweet Child in Paris.? Don't get me wrong I think VR misses Axl and Izzy's songwriting abilities and they aren't the dangerous out of control band that GNR were.? I think GNR was the better band because they were hungrier and more inspired and lived the we don't give a fuck attitude to the hilt.? But that also caused them to be sloppy musicians at times.? VR has good songs, not as good as GNR - but good, they aren't as dangerous - although Scott does add some unpredictability to the band.? But I think the one aspect that VR may be better, is being a more consistent live band.? Since they are not all messed up they can concentrate on the music and are a tighter band and better live musicians.? They might not reach the highest peaks that GNR did, but they always come to play and they aren't sloppy musicians.

You nailed it, friend.  This is the most sensical argument I've heard yet on this thread.  ok

I agree the blues could be a big hit, it's very pop radio friendly.. It's the type of song all ages could enjoy.. I agree the illusions was an album for everyone, but it did start with afd best debut from a band

The reason gnr was big wasn't just about song writing, it was because of their attitude during a period in music where it was dominated by hairbands, their style and decadent lives were a breath of fresh air.... Their music had greeat writing, vocals and killer guitar.. It was a lethal combo..As for the sound not being able to move in certain areas, I would say I don't agree.. Believe it or not one of the most anticipated albums (number one in entertainment weekly) is system of a down.. I can't speak for France, but in the USA a hard rock band can easily be huge,..

I agree with you on everything except GN'R's relation to hair bands.  Thing is, Guns basically had all the elements of hair bands at the time - big hair, loud guitars, tight pants, leather, a bit of makeup, and a debauched lifestyle dominated by sex, drugs, and rock 'n' roll.  The main difference is that Guns did it BETTER than anybody else on the scene.  Their style was far more raw and timeless, and they brought danger back to a scene that was dominated by the harmless likes of Poison.  Plus they had infinitely stronger songwriting, as you said.  That's why people still like GN'R, while most 80s hair bands are relics of the past and touring bowling alleys.

My main point is that in the 80s, GN'R fit into a scene that already existed - they just did it better than anyone else.  Today, there's really no bands similar to the new model Guns N' Roses.  I mean, Nine Inch Nails just isn't that popular anymore.  I think Velvet Revolver is much more timely than the new GN'R in that thier music is grungier (what with Scott Weiland) and fits easily into modern rock playlists.  So they're in kind of the same position as GN'R were in the 80s, with two differences.  Firstly, their music, while good, is not earth-shatteringly good enough to make them the biggest rock 'n' roll band in the world, as GN'R became.  Secondly, they're now 40-year old millionaires with wives and children, and this is a demographic that has trouble becoming the biggest band in the world.  Of course, that doesn't mean they can't become popular and influential - just look at Aerosmith.
jrs2001_99
Rocker

I can't believe you just said that

« Reply #105 on: September 18, 2004, 07:32:38 PM »

^
What about axl or dizzy, what if they say it?

Dave, I already implied in my previous post that I would have no problem with Axl or Dizzy saying that new GNR is more talented than the old band, because at least they have the experience of being in the old band as a basis for comparison, unlike the other guys like Tommy, Robin etc.

Duff obviously feels much more confident about VR's abilities and future than he ever did about GNR while he was in that band. It's only natural that he feels the way he does when he has had such a life-style turn around in the last 10 years.

http://www.theanswermusic.com/

The best true Irish rock band since Thin Lizzy
badobsession81
Rocker

Forgive them that tear down your soul

« Reply #106 on: September 18, 2004, 08:23:55 PM »

Glad to see there are a few people with intellect on this board, I was beginning to worry... i wish ppl wouldnnt rip into things without using their head and really thinking about what ppl are saying - this kind of mis-interpretation of what ppl have said is exactly what the bands all moan at the media about!

Great post from Old Man In Chains

Please think rationally and dont swing from one side to another or be bias. I cant believe some are now saying, "i hate duff now, vr are crap cuz of what duff said" etc etc. Argh, the frustration! lol

Bob :-)

Back In Power
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #107 on: September 18, 2004, 09:44:01 PM »

The funny thing is, if axl said the same thing about the new band being a more talented live band than the old, there would be a thread with over 100 posts bashing axl and cussing him out.

when people on this board claim the new band plays the songs just as good if not better than the old, the people defending duff in this thread are up in arms claiming that is the more abursd thing they have ever heard.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Layne420
Rocker

« Reply #108 on: September 18, 2004, 09:55:55 PM »

The funny thing is, if axl said the same thing about the new band being a more talented live band than the old, there would be a thread with over 100 posts bashing axl and cussing him out.

when people on this board claim the new band plays the songs just as good if not better than the old, the people defending duff in this thread are up in arms claiming that is the more abursd thing they have ever heard.

Yeah I agree with that. People would defintely bash Axl for that and let old members get away with that. This is why chinse democracy needs to come out b/c then music will do the talking. Although I do agree with Jarmo though any time some ones either starts a super group or making a come back they will say it's better than anything.

When there's no more water left
And no more air in our breath
What will this earth be worth?
Do you want war or peace?
Blood for oil greed
Won't feed, won't the hunger our need

FLOW
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #109 on: September 19, 2004, 12:29:40 AM »

yeah very true. It's funny how so many VR fans are trying to tone down these remarks; let's see if they demonstrate similiar patience when axl proclaims that his new band is better than what GnR was at the end of the Illusion tour.

My thoughts on duff's foot in mouth disease:

* he needs to watch what he says because using the word 'talent' turns a commentary on the drug status of the late GnR into some egotistical and nonsensical comparison between the two bands. Talent is an innate ability; it is not effected by drugs, malaise, or ego. It is always there. To say that VR is more talented, considering 3/5 of the band is old GnR, essentially means that Scott and Dave are greater than Axl and Izzy, which of course is wrong.

*Duff is correct if what he is trying to say is that the old band at the end of the Illusion tour was a shadow of the band VR is now in terms of quality of musicianship. Since axl wasn't a drug abuser, duff should have spoken only about the music end of the comparison. Axl always ran hot and cold, I didn't see too big a drop off as the year went on. I do think that the new GnR looked and sounded better than the old guys during the middle and last leg of the UYI tour.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
Mr Cowbell ?
Legend

HTGTH Powerslam Champion / Former WWE Game Champ

« Reply #110 on: September 19, 2004, 12:42:27 AM »

http://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/music/interviews/story.jsp?story=562537

He said: "... It's a more talented band that we have now, much more talented than Guns ever was. There were Guns nights where it was magic, but we were fucked up half the time. No, 99 per cent of the time. As players we weren't really maximising our potential. So, as far as aggression and talent are concerned, this is a much better band. I don't know if another band will ever achieve the kind of world domination Guns N' Roses managed. But if they do, it's going to be us."

Duff has sold out.

I read in old interviews that he said it gets old and boring playing the same setlist every night and now with VR it seems that is mostly what they were doing.

He also said that Contraband was the most dangerous album they have worked on.

He also alluded to make us believe he thinks Contraband is the best album he has worked on.

I love you Duff Man, but don't be acting like VR is the best thing you have done Because I own "Believe in Me" and thats DANGEROUS

Ron Jeremy - BEND OVER.
gnrvrrule
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #111 on: September 19, 2004, 12:46:27 AM »

To be fair to Duff, he is currently in VR and wants to say whatever he can to make the band sound good.  And when he said they are more talented than Gn'r, he mentioned because of the fact that Gn'r was messed up on drugs a lot.  This band is not (except for Slash maybe Smiley).  Overall, there's no question Gn'r was a more talented band with Izzy and Axl, but live, there were times when Gn'r sucked because of the drugs. 
Mr Cowbell ?
Legend

HTGTH Powerslam Champion / Former WWE Game Champ

« Reply #112 on: September 19, 2004, 12:51:39 AM »

In fairness to Duff though, I think VR is a cool band and think they are a hidden gem for fans of real rock. But when he tries and sell VR by saying stuff like I stated above it just makes him look like a dumbass. If he wants to sell VR thats fine, but dont sell out GnR to do so. And play different set lists, he was the one who said it was BORING to play the same ones, I know Scott can't memorize the lyrics to Mr Brownstone, but atleast mix up the list.

Ron Jeremy - BEND OVER.
darkdays_01
« Reply #113 on: September 19, 2004, 12:53:36 AM »

It is really hard to believe that only a few people can read through what Duff is saying, He is claiming they are much better players now they are clean, than they were when with GnR, he didnt dis Guns, at all, Duff is a pretty intelligent guy,  he is just stating facts that him and Slash are beter players now than they were in GnR, he isnt saying they are a better band, read the quote it is pretty easy to understand.  You Axl nutswingers are so definsive, hey I hope he (Axl) does put out his album , but two things VR has going for them that old Axl doesn't have is an album out on shelves, and a pretty sucessful tour. Bottom Line.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #114 on: September 19, 2004, 01:21:26 AM »

i agree with dave on the axl point, i cant understand why everyone is so sympathetic to the old members when in interviews they basically admit to havin as much fault as axl.

Axl was clean they werent, i dont know many of u that personally on the board, but have u ever been a clean  guy and u hang around people on drugs? it sucks and is so frustrating.

they quit axl also which makes it even crazier to bash axl.

VR kick ass, new gnr kick ass i will always love axl better than the old members but it doesnt mean i dont still love the old members just not on the same scale as axl.

well except Matt he has turned into someone i dont care for.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
usurper
« Reply #115 on: September 19, 2004, 06:12:19 AM »

looks like duff has been at the drugs and alcohol again hihi
RichardNixon
« Reply #116 on: September 19, 2004, 06:30:23 AM »

OK, now everyone, CALM DOWN! Let's think this through a bit. Here is something to consider. Duff probably gives ten interviews a day, everyday, week after week, month after month. He said one thing, to one interviewer and now it is being dissected and analyzed by legions of GN'R geeks (myself included!).

I don't think it's fair to take one comment made off the cuff and then use it as proof that Duff? stating as fact that VR is better than GN'R. I am sure that Duff is proud of GN'R's legacy and does not believe that VR is a better band than GN'R. He probably just meant in the interview that now that they are all clean, they can focus better and put on a tighter show than when they were all fucked up.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2004, 06:35:11 AM by RichardNixon » Logged
matt88
Riding The Nightrain
Legend

Slash is the King

« Reply #117 on: September 19, 2004, 06:31:28 AM »

Duff's wrong in saying that Vr are more talented than Original GN'R. But he was right in saying that they weren't maximising their potential. Drugs and Alcohol ruined that band and probably stopped them from doing more marvellous things.

"I've been draggin my heels with a bitch called hope let the undercurrent drag me along"
bolton
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #118 on: September 19, 2004, 06:31:39 AM »

hahahhahahahaha,what a ballshit
i'm so disapointmenti i n duff(he was my favorite old gnr memeber),but he is so stupid
it same like  michael jordan or zinedine zidane said"i'm more talented now then i was talented before 15 years"
stupid duff
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #119 on: September 19, 2004, 10:13:13 AM »

hahahhahahahaha,what a ballshit
i'm so disapointmenti i n duff(he was my favorite old gnr memeber),but he is so stupid
it same like? michael jordan or zinedine zidane said"i'm more talented now then i was talented before 15 years"
stupid duff

I've never read something so stupid, how does a basketball player that has a prime with his abilities compare to a musician that can get better as time goes on? There is no such thing as age in music for your abilities, sure if he was 60 or 70 his fingers would have some trouble playing, but being clean and being a physical specimen would only make sence that he can perform better.. Your sports comparison is total nonsence..
I guess with your way of thinking then axl is no where near what he use to be being he's old?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 18 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: