Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 07:17:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  why are scotts song on contaband not self indulgent but Axls on the UYIs and ..
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: why are scotts song on contaband not self indulgent but Axls on the UYIs and ..  (Read 38435 times)
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2004, 09:03:53 AM »

Both of these guys are at the top of their field musically and there is no need to compare coz they are different styles.

You know that this is a GN'R board so maybe you won't find as many Scott fans here as you might on some STP board.

If you see Scott being criticized here, it's probabaly because of that.

For many people, including me, Scott isn't in the same league as Axl.....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2004, 09:49:02 AM »

So was it bad when Living color in used MLK and JFK quotes in their song cult of peronality?

No because the dude was black hihi
Freya
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2004, 11:14:41 AM »

I also find using Dr. King's I have a dream speech about the civil rights struggles of an entire race of people as some sort of parrallel to some infighting between band members to be a little ridiculous.

That taste in using the quote is questionable.  Why do people think Maddy is about the old band?  I thought it was partly a song about separating from his family and of course, being alone. 

When Axl did take all that criticism about OIAM, he did take it seriously enough to go read up on MLK and racism, to his credit.  So he probably was genuinely inspired and perhaps trying to make amends.  Although, knowing Axl's propensity for a self-centered world view, using the quote in relation to his experience could offend people. 
oldleadbelly
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2004, 01:51:11 PM »

Both of these guys are at the top of their field musically and there is no need to compare coz they are different styles.

You know that this is a GN'R board so maybe you won't find as many Scott fans here as you might on some STP board.

If you see Scott being criticized here, it's probabaly because of that.

/jarmo

Exactly what was the point of posting this jarmo?? I could understand it if he had said something like, "Why are you guys busting on Scott so much?" or, "Damn Axl's voice is so grating, Scott is much better."? But he didn't.? He was simply saying that there is no need for the Axl versus Scott posts.? He showed no preference to either one, and I know a lot of Axl fans who have said the same.  Whatever, it's your board, carry on.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2004, 01:53:19 PM by oldleadbelly » Logged
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2004, 01:57:00 PM »

This topic basically says to me scott should be getting the same shit axl is, this is not fair.. Scott has ONE song and we're already getting a conmparison to someone who has tons of songs... Where does the though even come up?

Also one is talking about the bands third n fourth album, this is vr's first..
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2004, 03:37:35 PM »

Exactly what was the point of posting this jarmo?? I could understand it if he had said something like, "Why are you guys busting on Scott so much?" or, "Damn Axl's voice is so grating, Scott is much better."? But he didn't.? He was simply saying that there is no need for the Axl versus Scott posts.? He showed no preference to either one, and I know a lot of Axl fans who have said the same.? Whatever, it's your board, carry on.

I will carry on, don't worry about that.  ok

I was saying this isn't the most neutral VR board on the planet. Most of us are GN'R fans who also like VR. Not VR fans who love Scott.....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
oldleadbelly
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2004, 04:19:45 PM »

Exactly what was the point of posting this jarmo?? I could understand it if he had said something like, "Why are you guys busting on Scott so much?" or, "Damn Axl's voice is so grating, Scott is much better."? But he didn't.? He was simply saying that there is no need for the Axl versus Scott posts.? He showed no preference to either one, and I know a lot of Axl fans who have said the same.? Whatever, it's your board, carry on.

I will carry on, don't worry about that.? ok

I was saying this isn't the most neutral VR board on the planet. Most of us are GN'R fans who also like VR. Not VR fans who love Scott.....

/jarmo

Yeah, I got that much...but still it seems to be a bit out of context.  Keep on truckin'. ok
moreblack
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2004, 04:30:37 PM »

He doesn't need to be in Axl's league. He's in Scott Weiland's league ok

Scott Weiland: "Man, I won't steer clear of shit. If I won't steer clear of wearing a fucking Nazi uniform coming into Europe, you think I'm going to steer clear of 'Fall to Pieces at Ozzfest?"
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2004, 04:30:47 PM »

I will carry on, don't worry about that.? ok

/jarmo

so Im at the wrong place? Undecided

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2004, 04:54:53 PM »

so Im at the wrong place? Undecided

Depends. If you're here because you think Scott Weiland is a God and you get annoyed when people say he's not, maybe....  Tongue

Just like you won't find the world's biggest Axl supporters at Metal Sludge, you probably won't find the world's biggest Weiland fans on a GN'R board.

/jarmo

mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2004, 05:06:22 PM »

He doesn't need to be in Axl's league. He's in Scott Weiland's league ok

I agree bother two different singers of two different styles.. Axl is withoiut a doubt my favorite singer and in the top ten as frontmen.. Scott is a different type of guy, his stuff with stp was amazing... I know it wasn't big in other countries but it was huge during the grunge era...

I think scott is the best pick for vr, i love the covers he sings, somethimes I feel he is compared to axl a little to much in regards to the covers.. I myself never sat there and went over how axl sang covers over other legends like bob dylan, queen, stones, aero etc.. I love the covers, and I expect axl to sound like axl.. I never sat there and said well he doesn't sound mlike freddy mercury on we will rock you..Two different guys, isn't fair..

I think scott does a great job on use to love her, mr brownstone, and it's so easy.. He makes the songs his own like everyone else that covers a song, the important thing is to listen to a cover as the person who's doing it, not the person they're covering.. If you listen to it's so easy and expect him to sound like axl then you'll never enjoy the songs..
tomass74
Legend

« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2004, 02:59:36 AM »

Ok, I ws trying to refrain from replying to this stupid ass post.? But the ignorance in here is fucking pathetic. Who the fuck is anyone to judge the severity of someone elses issues?? Half of you are probably spoiled little shits that havent seen the? the dark side of life unless you were sniffing someones ass.

Everyone deals with shit differently. I was abused as a kid and I don't go on using it as a cruch throughout my life and I really don't think about it every day. Everyone is dealt a certain hand in life and you gotta live with what you got and that is how I look at things. That's not to say that others that were abused are not tortured everyday of their lives....To sit and watch people that most likely do not know shit argue about what is worse, being abused or being a drug addict really pisses me off. Who the fuck are you?? I have seen that side of things too. My step father died from Heroin, my Mother is a total waste of life because of heroin, I lost a childhood friend, I have battled with Crack and cocaine myself, missed the opportunity to meet my biological father because he died of drugs. You tell me that abuse is more traumatising than drug issues. For me it wasn't....... It's different in every case..

To sit and watch people bicker about to people that you don't really know shit about and argue who's problems are worse is just wrong. I don't use anything in my past as an excuse and frankly don't like to talk about them because I don't want people to think I am looking for sympathy but I just got real pissed off.

Anyway, this post is dumb. Why the fuck do you care so much what people think about Axl? And don't act like you thi swas a legit post and you wanted a nice discussion. You do not like VR and the only reason you are here is to stir up crap, fend for Axl, or highlight VR's low points.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2004, 03:16:25 AM by tomass74 » Logged

badgirl
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2004, 09:12:52 AM »

^^^^ totally agree. i was thinking that same thing, what the hell do you know about Scott's drug use or Axl's mental/emotional disorders. Oh, because he admitted in an interview that he is bi-polar? suddenly you can speak for his mental state and for the disease?  Roll Eyes

and newsflash: often times, drug use/abuse are CAUSED by mental/emotional disorders. drugs are used as a way to cope. most healthy, happy, well adjusted people don't go scrounging for the crack pipe.
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2004, 07:12:30 PM »

Tomass this post is a legit question but of coarse it?s not bashing axl and instead is asking the same questions of scott that has been asked and said of axl for years on this board. 

As for who has the worse problems, no one pretends to know either of them but being abused, as a child is much worse than being a junkie, that was the point that was brought up. 

As for me being here to stir up shit, it?s funny people pose the same questions about VR that others have made about gnr, yet when they are made about gnr its ok but when its about VR its stirring up shit.

The hypocrisies by some of the people on this board never ceases to amaze me.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2004, 07:18:25 PM »

I had said I believe it's because of the massive piano ballad done by axl, it was a change from what he sang about on afd n lies... Possibly it was *not sure* more grand that's why it got so much attention

I see a song like fall to pieces which is new and their second single, I don't know why axl gets more of a hassle but it's so early in the game that it doesn't even pay to compare the two different lead singers..

Dave I just don't know what you expect to hear?? One was during the bands third n fourth release, this is getting compared to a new group's second single..

I always thought great songesd like scom were take n very well, even brought gnr to the top with the number one single..

I think you're just reaching out there because it bothers you axl gets flack and no one bothers scott, but that's just how I view it..
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #55 on: September 16, 2004, 08:10:09 PM »

As for who has the worse problems, no one pretends to know either of them but being abused, as a child is much worse than being a junkie

As Tom-ass asked, who are you to decide that?? Who are you to determine which is "worse"??

When youre making posts declaring "my heros problems are worse than yours," Im afraid youve reached the absolute depths of child-like fanboy banter.

hihi

Come on...havent you learned not to criticize others so-called hypocrisy?

Funny, insnt it, that when youre caught in an indisputable, bold-faced contradiction, its "Booker, isnt it possible for peoples opinions to change?"? I guess not, since when it comes to Slash and people on this board, contradictions make you a liar.? Just another example of your own fumbling hypocrisy I guess...?  ok
« Last Edit: September 16, 2004, 08:15:50 PM by Booker Floyd » Logged
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #56 on: September 16, 2004, 08:46:17 PM »

As for who has the worse problems, no one pretends to know either of them but being abused, as a child is much worse than being a junkie

As Tom-ass asked, who are you to decide that?? Who are you to determine which is "worse"??

When youre making posts declaring "my heros problems are worse than yours," Im afraid youve reached the absolute depths of child-like fanboy banter.

hihi

Come on...havent you learned not to criticize others so-called hypocrisy?

Funny, insnt it, that when youre caught in an indisputable, bold-faced contradiction, its "Booker, isnt it possible for peoples opinions to change?"? I guess not, since when it comes to Slash and people on this board, contradictions make you a liar.? Just another example of your own fumbling hypocrisy I guess...?? ok

Its a no brainer what is worse. When you are abused as a child you have no control over that, but when you become a junkie or drunk, its by your own doing.? You really cant compare being a junkie to being abused as a kid, come on now, even you can easily see which is more tramatic.?

As for who said which is worse, i was not the first person to bring that up, it was TOP HAT (REMEMBER)? so try again.
You are pointing your finger at the wrong person.

I am curious to why you are calling me out on this when you should be asking him this question?
Oh I forgot, his name says it all, Top hatted one.

As for me contradicting myself, how did I do that??
If you are talking about my saying certain people on here are hypocrites than that is easy.
People are allowed to ask questions about axl being self-indulgent on his songs yet other people are not allowed to do the same about Scott.  So tell me how is that a contradiction?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2004, 08:52:50 PM by dave-gnfnr2k » Logged

Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
badgirl
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #57 on: September 16, 2004, 08:51:39 PM »

hihi
how come you manage to say such accurate and witty things to Dave's posts, but never to mine?....
 Wink

and newsflash genius: you can't pluralize "hypocrisy" and junkies, in many respects, DON'T choose to be junkies, rather they are led to that life, often because of abuse, often because of mental/emotional disorders, often because of a hard upbringing, often because a combination of all of the above. a basic psych 101 class could help you fill in those blanks.  ok
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #58 on: September 16, 2004, 08:57:17 PM »

hihi
how come you manage to say such accurate and witty things to Dave's posts, but never to mine?....
 Wink

and newsflash genius: you can't pluralize "hypocrisy" and junkies, in many respects, DON'T choose to be junkies, rather they are led to that life, often because of abuse, often because of mental/emotional disorders, often because of a hard upbringing, often because a combination of all of the above. a basic psych 101 class could help you fill in those blanks.? ok

First off, again what is with you people and being grammar police and spelling police, stop trolling and just reply to the topic at hand and not if i wrongly pluarlized a word. Thanks.

2nd, since I have a degree in psych, I think I know much more than you on this subject.  And yes people choose to be junkies and drunks.  They don't do it on purpose but its by their own doing, and scott was never abused as a child so what turned him to drugs? Oh him being bi polar, well there are meds for that, and not all bi polar people become junkies or drunks, i have friends who are bi polar, none of them are additcs or drunks, Axl isnt an addict or drunk either.

So scott becoming an addict was by his own doing.

badgirl
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2004, 09:05:58 PM »

a degree in psych? dare i ask from where. your interpretations of maladaptive behavior are severly lacking (and yes, this IS on topic) and, with your degree you should be aware that treatment of illness through psychopharmacology is not a cure all and is often a battle to find the right dosage, the right combination of meds, etc... and often that is not a cure all either.  Roll Eyes

i really don't think you know what you are talking about on this topic so perhaps you should stick to simply defending Axl without trying to make qualitative statements about mental health.  ok
perhaps others on the board who suffer from these illnesses can back me up on this.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: