Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 30, 2024, 08:42:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228138 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  slash says heroin left him unable to play guitar - Sep. 10, 2004
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: slash says heroin left him unable to play guitar - Sep. 10, 2004  (Read 10223 times)
Dont Try Me
Life Without You
Legend

« on: September 10, 2004, 01:32:41 PM »

World Entertainment News Network is reporting that VELVET REVOLVER guitarist Slash finally decided to quit heroin when he realized his addiction meant he could not longer play his instrument properly.

The rocker, now 39, became a slave to the drug during his days with GUNS 'N ROSES, and got to the point where he no longer cared how low he was feeling.

Slash says, "One thing I always had was my ability to play guitar. When I found I couldn't even do that I knew it was time to quit, although it took me some time.

"The first time I took heroin I knew I'd discovered my favourite drug of all time. I never liked the hyped-up state cocaine puts you in.

"The sort of personality who shoots heroin is often a shy guy who wants to be cool and relaxed. But you can get to such a low point on it, you just don't care about your self-esteem."

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=26731

Guns N' Roses - Dessel (Graspop)- 24 juni 2012
Guns N' Roses - Rotterdam - 4 juni 2012
Guns N' Roses - Arnhem - 3 oktober 2010 - amazing!!!
Guns N' Roses - Nijmegen - 2 july 2006 - kickass!!!
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2004, 01:53:11 PM »

You know not to turn this into an Axl vs Slash debate but shit like that makes me understand axl's actions even more. Shit if Slash could barely play his instrument no wonder Axl took control. No wonder Slash wasnt willing to work hard, he didnt wanna work hard because his heroin addiction wouldnt allow him to work hard, so he wanted to do the easiest record possible.

Maybe drugs broke up GNR not Axl.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Dont Try Me
Life Without You
Legend

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2004, 01:55:18 PM »

You know not to turn this into an Axl vs Slash debate but shit like that makes me understand axl's actions even more. Shit if Slash could barely play his instrument no wonder Axl took control. No wonder Slash wasnt willing to work hard, he didnt wanna work hard because his heroin addiction wouldnt allow him to work hard, so he wanted to do the easiest record possible.

Maybe drugs broke up GNR not Axl.

That crossed my mind too...

Guns N' Roses - Dessel (Graspop)- 24 juni 2012
Guns N' Roses - Rotterdam - 4 juni 2012
Guns N' Roses - Arnhem - 3 oktober 2010 - amazing!!!
Guns N' Roses - Nijmegen - 2 july 2006 - kickass!!!
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2004, 03:13:36 PM »

No, this was from 88-89.  Then they flew him away to get sober.  Axl said in an interview during their last tour, "I must give the guy credit, he could play some great guitar while being really focked up."  Slash has never missed a rehersal due to drugs.  He was always very competant.  I think he is referring to his downtime.
Captain Obvious
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2004, 03:55:58 PM »

Heroin is a monster. It brought so many to their end, its refreshing to see someone who was able to overcome it.
Top-Hatted One
VIP

AKA Slash_is_God

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2004, 05:03:10 PM »

No, this was from 88-89.? Then they flew him away to get sober.? Axl said in an interview during their last tour, "I must give the guy credit, he could play some great guitar while being really focked up."? Slash has never missed a rehersal due to drugs.? He was always very competant.? I think he is referring to his downtime.

of course lol

anyone who thinks Slash couldn't play guitar from 91-93 is nuts and doesn't even know that the Illusions Era existed rofl
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2004, 05:29:57 PM »

I just listened to fields of joy and always on the run.  Field's of Joy has an awesome Slash guitar solo.  Better then anything off Contraband.  More Slash is needed on next album.  Also Top Hatted, the original post implied that it was his heroin addiction that killed Guns.  And what I am saying is that Slash was off of heroin long before the break up.  Then I actually cite the time frame for which he is speaking.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2004, 05:48:16 PM »

And what I am saying is that Slash was off of heroin long before the break up.? Then I actually cite the time frame for which he is speaking.

And you know this as a fact because?

He died in 1992 thanks to heroin so saying he was the most fucked up in 88/89 is kinda stupid.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Will
An American in Paris
Legend

State of love and trust

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2004, 05:49:08 PM »

Did Slash really quit in 1989? Were they just smoking pot on the UYI tour? Because I've read lots of interviews where Matt was talking about doing lots of drugs with GN'R while on tour...I dunno...

the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2004, 06:05:07 PM »

On top of that, for what it's worth, didn't someone on here mention that they met nurses who told him that Slash is brought into the hospital now and then to this day because of overdoses?

Maybe he's at his most fucked up when he's not playing, recording or touring.(down time) It's possible that if he stayed in GNR he would be dead now... lotsa down time

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2004, 06:09:44 PM »

Jarmo, did he die from Heroin?  Alcohol, or both.  Could have been coke.  Are you sure it was 92?  Tell me, when watching his performances then, (91-93) did it appear as if he struggled?  Maybe he wasn't drug free, but even in the BTM, he said it was the time after appetite, but before illusions where everyone got lost.  Then Axl made the famous in "Dancing too hard with Mr. Brownstone" at the stones gig.  So after that they flew him away to an island to sober him up.  His drug use had no effect on the ending of GNR.  Axl has stated this in interviews during the 2002 tour.  Also, during the BTM, they don't mention what year he died outside the elevator.  Could have been on the Aerosmith tour.  But anyway, i wouldn't be surprised if he still did dabble.  But he is not a junkie, and doesn't seem to affect his playing.  Axl did heroin too.  Maybe he had the drug issues.  Actually, his mental state was worse the the drugs.  My point is this, it is most likely during 88-90 that Slash hit his hardest times.
Dizzy
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2004, 06:40:32 PM »

Actually, I don't think Slash's overdose was from heroin.  I think it may have been cocaine and alcohol combined.  Not sure though.

And just to clarify, Slash didnt "die", because if you die, YOU DON'T COME BACK!  In order to be declared dead, your brain must stop functioning.  Slash's heart stopped, but his brain obviously didn't or else he wouldn't be with us today.
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2004, 07:26:37 PM »

Great call Dizzy.  Maybe Jarmo saying that he died is kind of stupid.
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2004, 07:40:34 PM »

after reading the entire article, maybe it was some of this did happen during illusions.  who knows.  just glad he is straight now.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2004, 07:56:52 PM »

Great call Dizzy.? Maybe Jarmo saying that he died is kind of stupid.

Oh, you're calling Slash stupid now?

I've died a couple of times in hospital and I've still come out alive at the end of it, but I try not to get philosophical. It's too heavy.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/features/story/0,11710,1268518,00.html

Even the man himself uses the word "died". Anyway you wanna see it, it's kinda serious when you need to have an adrenaline shot in your heart in order to make you wake up. Call it what you want, he didn't exactly pass out drunk.? Roll Eyes

OVERDOSES!
SLASH (guitar)
During his heyday in Guns N? Roses, Slash?s fondness for booze and heroin were legendary. Two bottles of Jack Daniel?s a day turned his tongue black, while he ?died? twice after overdosing on smack. It all caught up with him in 2000, when he was admitted to hospital with heart problems.

Q June 2004 Issue 215

/jarmo
« Last Edit: September 10, 2004, 08:04:36 PM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Freya
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2004, 07:58:20 PM »

From the same interview:

One night, Bowie came to see Guns N' Roses with Slash's mum Ola, the pair having been an item in the '70s.

"Axl heard he was there and started into Bowie from the stage about some bullshit," he recalls. "I was so embarrassed because David was always so polite, proper and English. He really didn't need or deserve anything like that. The thing with Axl was that he never took any drugs. Maybe he should try medication."

Slash must have been drunk in this interview (as the writer suggested), he doesn't usually go into detail like this.  I know the famous "Axl chases Bowie down street" story, but I hadn't heard this before, I wonder when this concert was.  Interesting. 

I would be in serious doubt of Slash being completely clean these days, in fact he's still high on my list of "most likely to overdose or die of alcohol poisoning". 

Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2004, 08:12:40 PM »

Jarmo, I am focking with you in my last post.  Lighten up.  I watched the same behind the music as you did D.A.  However, during the BTM, they made one beleive that the Slash got his act together after the call out at the Stones gig.  In fact, they made it appear is if it was only Stephen that had the "serious" drug issues.  He is alive, he likes to have a good time.  He seems to be okay.  Yes, he could relapse at anytime, just like Scott or Anthony Keidis could.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2004, 08:56:48 PM »

Jarmo, I am focking with you in my last post.? Lighten up.? I watched the same behind the music as you did D.A.? However, during the BTM, they made one beleive that the Slash got his act together after the call out at the Stones gig.? In fact, they made it appear is if it was only Stephen that had the "serious" drug issues.? He is alive, he likes to have a good time.? He seems to be okay.? Yes, he could relapse at anytime, just like Scott or Anthony Keidis could.

Believe what you want. I still think he had problems back in the UYI days. Just like Duff and Matt did.

Steven was the only one who was so fucked up he couldn't record.

/jarmo

badgirl
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2004, 09:11:04 PM »

On top of that, for what it's worth, didn't someone on here mention that they met nurses who told him that Slash is brought into the hospital now and then to this day because of overdoses?

Maybe he's at his most fucked up when he's not playing, recording or touring.(down time) It's possible that if he stayed in GNR he would be dead now... lotsa down time

Slash has stated that himself, that when the tours ended were the hardest periods for him and his darkest, most drug indulgent times.

I would also take Matt's debauchary stories with a grain of salt... lately it seems like he just wants to keep up with the drug/alcohol infamy of his current and former bandmates, which, clearly, cannot be easy.
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2004, 12:33:35 AM »

Good analysis bad girl.  I think he (matt) was mainly into coke anyway. 
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: