Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 05:37:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Arena Tour?
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Arena Tour?  (Read 9599 times)
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2004, 03:34:36 PM »

Is there even a memorable chorus?

Obviously, since 3,000 people were sing along to it at the concert I went to...and that was only a month or so after "Slither" came out.

You can give your own "anthem parameters" if you want, but when the entire venue is pumping their fists and singing along to that chorus, does it really matter what you think?
moreblack
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2004, 03:56:15 PM »

whether they will play arenas will depend on how good the next record is. Contraband is great but it lacks a true Anthem other than Slither.

Slither an anthem? Anthems have obvious, great chorus' that crowds can sing along with, huge, memorable guitar hooks, etc....

Contraband has no anthems, basically because Weiland writes way to abstract & relies heavily on vocal melodies/studio tricks to keep up with Slash & co. instead of just belting out huge vocals.?

I guess they're just not an anthemic cheesy arena rock band like U2... Undecided

Scott Weiland: "Man, I won't steer clear of shit. If I won't steer clear of wearing a fucking Nazi uniform coming into Europe, you think I'm going to steer clear of 'Fall to Pieces at Ozzfest?"
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2004, 04:21:11 PM »

Ok dumbfuck, what material were they playing?

Read the rules.

Can u people think?

Exactly.

GN'R didn't start selling out arenas in 1991 because they had more songs to play. They sold out those places because people wanted to see them.  Tongue

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Jizzo
Legend

Everytime,I'm falling down, Please take me home

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2004, 06:24:29 PM »

Each time ive seen them play, when they get to slither the crowd goes fucking nuts

You know what to do, you know what I did
Since you know everything, just clue me in
I am such a wreck, I am such a mess
I know what I know - why don't you fill in the rest?
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2004, 07:04:49 PM »

Each time ive seen them play, when they get to slither the crowd goes fucking nuts

Exactly...Which kind of transcends any personal formula check on whether its "anthem worthy" or not.

Hearing all 3,000 people at the Electric Factory join in for "Yeeeaahhh, here comes the waaaater..." was a  Shocked moment.  I distinctly remember thinking to myself, "Wow...this is crazy."  The song was only a month old at that point too.  Now youre hearing it in stadiums, various live broadcasts, and radio station promos (94 WYSP in Philly uses this often in its drops, as well as "DIFTK").  That moment right after the second breakdown, when that last verse kicks back in ("When you look you see right through me!") was the absolute highlight of the night.  The place exploded.  They also emphatically chanted the "Yeah!"s in the beginning and end of the song, and went crazy during the solo.  And like I said, that speaks for more than any personal opinion of whether the song is technically an "anthem"; and it downright disproves any claim that the chorus isnt memorable.  Is there anybody here that doesnt remember it?
tomass74
Legend

« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2004, 03:14:52 AM »

Slither is great live and people go nuts.  I saw it too before the album came out.  Whether people want to admit it or not ,the song is huge.  It would definately get 10,000 people rockin.

Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2004, 11:21:31 AM »

they are playing a 18000 seat gig as one of the first announced new shows

See I don't think they can pull this off yet.  Who else is on the bill?

What do you guys think about Jet as an opening act?  I think they would draw a crowd and suit the style of VR more than anyone else.

BTW, I agree about Slither getting the greatest response from the crowd.  People were going pretty crazy at the show I went too.  However, I wonder if it was so great because it was more of an intimate show?  I mean, would people be enjoying it as much from the upper level of an arena?
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2004, 10:04:45 AM »

It all depends on the venue/location ( same as GNR 2 years ago) and setlist/material. VR could sell out a 10,000 seater in larger cities; NY, Philly, Chicago or LA if they had two or more albums worth of material. You can't play MSG for 65 minutes and then piss off.

Arena acts normally last between 90' to 150'. VR doesn't have enough songs yet.
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2004, 10:14:12 AM »

It all depends on the venue/location ( same as GNR 2 years ago) and setlist/material. VR could sell out a 10,000 seater in larger cities; NY, Philly, Chicago or LA if they had two or more albums worth of material. You can't play MSG for 65 minutes and then piss off.

I agree they should wait, bu tI do believe they could make it with the album and some covers.. Each gnr show I've seen tehy played a bunch of covers regardless of how much material they had.. Also vr has other songs tehy recorded before releasing contraband, tehy even said they write as they go.. I'm sure they could also introduce some new songs as well...

If they do a bigger set of venues I believe they will give ample notice before and go out and promote it, and play less shows in certain areas..

I want MSG beer
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2004, 10:28:59 AM »

Add a 10 minute drum solo and a 15 minute guitar solo and you're above 90 minutes. Wink

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: