Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 11:32:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228551 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Velvet Revolver Finishes Their European Tour In Four Days...
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Velvet Revolver Finishes Their European Tour In Four Days...  (Read 8844 times)
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« on: September 08, 2004, 05:30:07 PM »

...And I just wanted to express my surprise and satisfaction over how well everything has gone so far... Grin

Its especially nice to look back at all of the posts from a year ago that were certain VR would fail - "Weiland will fuck everything up, they will never finish their tour," they said.  Countless posts doubting VRs future.  Many posts downright predicting doom for the band.  Some of those posts were even mine. 

But look at what theyve accomplished in such a short period of time...

A platinum #1 album
A hit single that topped both major rock charts; another currently doing well
Two videos
Tons of interviews and press
Kerrang! Best New Artist award winner
Several B-Side recordings
Work on a new album
Three performances with Izzy Stradlin
Over 50 performances (mostly sold-out and with startlingly few cancellations)

50-plus performances under their belt in less than one year...thats with a [formerly] heroin-addicted lead singer.  With a singer under probation, attending court appearences, and battling heroin addiction, theyve completed American and European tours.  And theyre about to undertake an even bigger tour almost immediately after.  Thats pretty remarkable if you ask me.  After all of the doubting and damning posts of the past year, I think now is a good time to reflect on all thats been achieved since then. 

beer
Top-Hatted One
VIP

AKA Slash_is_God

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2004, 05:37:59 PM »

beer
Dave_Rose
VIP

Cheese Sandwich

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2004, 06:13:57 PM »

good job

EEEERRRR Little boy
gnrvrrule
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2004, 09:59:26 PM »

This band has gone much further than I ever imagined; now I have faith for long term commitment.  I remember when Scott was sent to lockdown rehab for 6 months, I thought it was falling apart.  I actually thought that could bring Axl and Slash back together, but I'm dreaming.  50 shows is more than twice the total amount by Guns N' Roses since 1993.  Wow.
Jizzo
Legend

Everytime,I'm falling down, Please take me home

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2004, 10:57:19 PM »

its just the begining. This is what iv'e expected was gonna happen when I heard scott was joining, yet more than I expected when I first heard duff, matt and slash played together for randy castillo

You know what to do, you know what I did
Since you know everything, just clue me in
I am such a wreck, I am such a mess
I know what I know - why don't you fill in the rest?
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2004, 11:47:08 PM »

dont jinx em dude!

like ive been sayin, scott has done great but it could all be fucked up tomorrow! so im keepin my fingers crossed!

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2004, 11:55:02 PM »

I believe my prediction back in May was like "2 weeks on the road and Weiland will screw up".

4 months later I'm still eating crow...

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Mr Cowbell ?
Legend

HTGTH Powerslam Champion / Former WWE Game Champ

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2004, 12:55:40 AM »

Maybe I am expecting a little too much, but I'm waitign for an all out Arena tour with another good band opening. I think they sound great and are excellent and making rock interesting again. I seen them in a small theatre but I want them to be filling an arena. Once they finished up there Arena tour this fall and I get to see 10,000 screaming fans fill an arena and chant for the rock gods that they are then I will believe they have reached what I expected, and they deserve.

Ron Jeremy - BEND OVER.
darkmonth
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2004, 09:04:01 AM »

GnR needed a hell of a lot of time and effort til they could headline arenas... and although I love VR, the music scene doesn't act kindly to these musoz.... wait til after the second album... they will then judge where there are arena sized crowds who are interested in seeing VR.

Remember, its a big and risky job organising arenas... these days, its the realms of S Club and Westife who fill arenas.. not quality rock bands.

Remember that during the last GnR tour, many of the venues were not sold anywhere near capacity... now, that's not because Axl is crap... that's because pulling large crowds to see a rock act isn't as easy as it use to be!

So, I reckon an arena tour after the second album.

Well done to VR  !!!  peace  beer  ok
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2004, 04:31:15 PM »

Maybe I am expecting a little too much, but I'm waitign for an all out Arena tour with another good band opening. I think they sound great and are excellent and making rock interesting again. I seen them in a small theatre but I want them to be filling an arena.

This is a direction (arenas) I hope to God they don't take.  Arena rock is so passe', no vibe, no sweat, no feel whatsoever.

Leave the arena rock shows to the Aerosmith's of the world...

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2004, 06:23:57 PM »

This is a direction (arenas) I hope to God they don't take.? Arena rock is so passe', no vibe, no sweat, no feel whatsoever.

If it's beneficial financially, they probably will Undecided

Leave the arena rock shows to the Aerosmith's of the world...

It's not that bad. A huge crowd, it'll be good for rock in some ways. A little flair (that existed in times passe) is not necessarily a horrible thing.

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
Jizzo
Legend

Everytime,I'm falling down, Please take me home

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2004, 07:16:40 PM »

Seeing them in an arena is gonna be such a departure from the 5 times ive already seen them, but I can't think its a bad thing to play to the masses

You know what to do, you know what I did
Since you know everything, just clue me in
I am such a wreck, I am such a mess
I know what I know - why don't you fill in the rest?
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2004, 10:26:40 PM »

And I just wanted to express my surprise and satisfaction over how well everything has gone so far...

Its especially nice to look back at all of the posts from a year ago that were certain VR would fail - "Weiland will fuck everything up, they will never finish their tour," they said.  Countless posts doubting VRs future.  Many posts downright predicting doom for the band.  Some of those posts were even mine. 

But look at what theyve accomplished in such a short period of time...

A platinum #1 album
A hit single that topped both major rock charts; another currently doing well
Two videos
Tons of interviews and press
Kerrang! Best New Artist award winner
Several B-Side recordings
Work on a new album
Three performances with Izzy Stradlin
Over 50 performances (mostly sold-out and with startlingly few cancellations)

50-plus performances under their belt in less than one year...thats with a [formerly] heroin-addicted lead singer.  With a singer under probation, attending court appearences, and battling heroin addiction, theyve completed American and European tours.  And theyre about to undertake an even bigger tour almost immediately after.  Thats pretty remarkable if you ask me.  After all of the doubting and damning posts of the past year, I think now is a good time to reflect on all thats been achieved since then. 
Wow, if you considered VR an underdog then GNR shouldnt even be considered  on the map.

VR have had a successful run. But why is that surprising? Theyve done the press thing, put out an album, sold records based on for the most part the past, done a club tour....Yea the wildcard was weiland, but not to the effect your making it seem. JOurnalists mentioned it because there gay and they think their tough. But I dont think the world was waiting for Scott to go back to drugs again.

Ill keep this post in mind when GNR reaches the pinnacle of the rock world....they have a lot more at stake, a lot more question marks, a lot more doubters/haters, the list goes on and on...so if they do in fact reach the top.....it will be a biggie victory to say the least....

This is a direction (arenas) I hope to God they don't take.
$$$ Talks....

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2004, 12:13:37 AM »

YG-

Regardless of the fact they were comprised of members of popular bands, mentioning Velvet Revolver doesn't quite conjure the name recognition Guns N' Roses does. Axl knows this, and that is why he kept the name rather than start a new band name of his own. Guns N' Roses has a built in name recognition, and it will be much easier for them to get off the ground than it was for VR. People knew about VR somewhat in the beginning, but if you're in a record store and you see a new GNR CD being advertised you know immediately who that is, the casual observer may see a VR CD and walk right by not realizing who it was.

I know you are trying to paint GNR out to be in dire straits now so that when they release a CD and are back on top you can say I told you so, but no one is buying it becuase we all expect GNR to do exactly what you're thinking they will. Success is not the issue, its whethere or not they will actually ever release an album.

I will withhold comparisons until VR has released about 5 more albums to tie them up with GNR. Because like it or not, it took GNR 17 years to build this type of name noteriety, VR is still in its infancy stage. That name GNR alone makes this not a fair fight, because you know as well as I do a new GNR cd moves 500,000 copies its first week where the Axl Rose solo band under a new name doesn't come close even if the music were the exact same. From a marketing standpoint name recognition is everything, and obviously Axl knows that better than anyone or he wouldn't be so anal about the name.
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2004, 01:58:10 AM »

Yea the wildcard was weiland, but not to the effect your making it seem.  JOurnalists mentioned it because there gay and they think their tough. But I dont think the world was waiting for Scott to go back to drugs again.

Sure they were...they absolutely were.  Its always assumed that an addict will relapse.  Im positive that anybody who thought "Scott will kick heroin easily...its smooth sailing from here" less than a year ago was in the minority.  Just read the posts from that time.  Many people predicted that the tour wouldnt even get off the ground anytime soon, much less get canceled early.  He had been arrested, placed under probation and in rehab with tons of restrictions (affecting recording and such)...and had to quit heroin on top of that.  Not to mention hes an unstable person to begin with. 

VR have had a successful run. But why is that surprising? Theyve done the press thing, put out an album, sold records based on for the most part the past, done a club tour....

All things that were done with Snakepit...Loaded...etc.  And within a closer proximity to Guns' peak.  Its been years since those projects...the GNR guys (STP as well) got colder with each year, and now its 2004 and theyre hotter than theyve been in over 10 years.  Its not often such comebacks occur.  But thats beside the point...The point is, its surprising to me that theyve accomplished so much (especially the touring aspect) 1) Within the short time period theyve existed as a band and 2) With Scotts problems...Which you seem to be downplaying.  I personally didnt see them successfully completing a tour.  Axl couldnt do it, and he didnt even have the heavy baggage Scott does.

Ill keep this post in mind when GNR reaches the pinnacle of the rock world....they have a lot more at stake, a lot more question marks, a lot more doubters/haters, the list goes on and on...

Not sure what GNR had to do with htis post...but youre right.

They also have a lot more going for them, most of which - theyre "Guns N' Roses".  That name will ensure much of their success.  So while you understandably credit VRs GNR past to success, it doesnt compare to actually being "GNR".  So just as I wouldnt underestimate Scotts problems, I wouldnt underestimate how important that name is.  And Axl has the mystery...While the ex-Guns put out projects to relatively chilly reception over the years and had to work their way back - as a brand new entity.  Success was hardly guaranteed. 

so if they do in fact reach the top.....it will be a biggie victory to say the least....

If we were talking about "The Axl Rose Band," Id definitely agree with you.  "Guns N' Roses" is going to do just fine.

Naupis' post is right-on... ok
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2004, 07:44:29 AM »

It's easier to become popular in your new band when your previous one is kinda considered cool again and people are aware that they existed.

Yes, I'm talking about the Greatest Hits album. Suddenly there's an interest in GN'R again that wasn't there a few years ago and when people find out what band some of the ex-members are in, they're gonna check them out.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2004, 08:43:16 AM »

Yes, I'm talking about the Greatest Hits album. Suddenly there's an interest in GN'R again that wasn't there a few years ago and when people find out what band some of the ex-members are in, they're gonna check them out.

Yeah, but VRs momentum was strong before Greatest Hits was released.  I think they were conducive to each other...
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2004, 11:10:37 AM »

They also have a lot more going for them, most of which - theyre "Guns N' Roses".? That name will ensure much of their success.
It definately will.NO doubt,it helps.BUt according to many of you around here, "GNR's name is tarnished". You cant have it both ways. It teither has value or not. IMO, it still does. ANd it will definately help in intiall sales. BUt ultimately the music will decide whether the majority accept them and the band they are under. That is why the whole "GNR still have the name" can only go so far.

it doesnt compare to actually being "GNR".?
When every radio dj or article says now heres slash,etc from gnr, weiland, stp, before or after a vr song, I think people have gotten the connection.

And Axl has the mystery...
Yes, he does. BUt thats something that has devolped over time, through the yrs and rumors. It wasnt just given to him.

While the ex-Guns put out projects to relatively chilly reception over the years and had to work their way back - as a brand new entity.? Success was hardly guaranteed.
And the same cant be said with new gnr? cmon booker. You know as well as I, that new gnr have a lot to prove and build themselves back up. They arent going to start at the top they have to work up.

mentioning Velvet Revolver doesn't quite conjure the name recognition Guns N' Roses does
No, but when djs or articles constintly remind everyone of thier past, it certainlty doesnt put them that far behind.

Of course a new fan is not going to know about vr's past. And the same can be said for new gnr. A new fan will not know the past. so? to the new fan, both bands are on an even ground.

I know you are trying to paint GNR out to be in dire straits now so that when they release a CD and are back on top you can say I told you so, but no one is buying it becuase we all expect GNR to do exactly what you're thinking they will. Success is not the issue, its whethere or not they will actually ever release an album.
Im painting reality. Scoot over to the GNR board and see if thats packed with optimism. GNR have benn indire straights. BUt thats the ting...if they do well its b ecause of the name, if they bomb its because of what I have stated. TThey cant win either way.BUt to say they are not an underdog is absurd.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2004, 12:07:24 PM by younggunner » Logged

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2004, 03:46:58 PM »

It definately will.NO doubt,it helps.BUt according to many of you around here, "GNR's name is tarnished". You cant have it both ways.

You absolutely can.

In the personal opinion of many, the GNR name is tarnished, and theres many that dont believe its GNR at all.? However, those people can still have enough sense to realize that the "Guns N' Roses" name will sell regardless.? Theres no conflict there.? One is an opinion, the other is simply informed speculation.

When every radio dj or article says now heres slash,etc from gnr, weiland, stp, before or after a vr song, I think people have gotten the connection.

Right...

Like I said, it doesnt compare to actually being "GNR".? The connection is different from present inclusion...Is there any doubt that Contraband would have sold significantly more under "Guns N' Roses" than the brand new, unfamiliar "Velvet Revolver"?? Thats the point.

Yes, he does. BUt thats something that has devolped over time, through the yrs and rumors. It wasnt just given to him.

I didnt say it was??

And the same cant be said with new gnr? cmon booker. You know as well as I, that new gnr have a lot to prove and build themselves back up. They arent going to start at the top they have to work up.

No, theyll start at the top - at least on the charts (because Im not really talking about critics).? Theyll have to fight to maintain the position, but theyre assured it initially.? And like I said, thats because of the name and mystique.? The VR guys came back from years of relatively unsuccessful efforts...which I imagine is more difficult than having that anticipation Axl has from not putting out anything.

No, but when djs or articles constintly remind everyone of thier past, it certainlty doesnt put them that far behind.

Well every other GNR-related project proves that its not that simple...

Of course a new fan is not going to know about vr's past. And the same can be said for new gnr. A new fan will not know the past. so? to the new fan, both bands are on an even ground.

Even a new fan knows GNRs hits...But the audience segment youve brought up (fans who know absolutely nothing about either band) is so insignificant that Im puzzled as to why you brought it up at all...

Im painting reality. Scoot over to the GNR board and see if thats packed with optimism.

Its because theres nothing.? When (if) there is something, outlooks will change dont you think?
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2004, 05:12:53 PM »

In the personal opinion of many, the GNR name is tarnished, and theres many that dont believe its GNR at all.  However, those people can still have enough sense to realize that the "Guns N' Roses" name will sell regardless.
I already said that initially, no matter what you think of gnr, the name itself will provide its initial boost. Its the fact that after that initial run ends, its up to the music for the band/nam eto be carried. Not the GNR name.

No, theyll start at the top - at least on the charts (because Im not really talking about critics). 
Ive been syaing the same thing.

And im talking about the critics. Becaus ethey are the ones who have painted this tarnished picture of GNR/axl. So for GNr to overcome that, they have to PROVE the critics wrong. The GNR/RnR/and any new comer fan will be there from the start. But after that GNR's music will then have to overcome the doubters/haters, which in point is 100x greater than any type of heat VR have gotten.

The VR guys came back from years of relatively unsuccessful efforts...which I imagine is more difficult than having that anticipation Axl has from not putting out anything.
Booker, GNr are you telling me Vr has/had will have more pressure than GNR?

Well every other GNR-related project proves that its not that simple...
thos eprojects werent really menat for the mainstream. Old gnr side projects were not promoted liek VR.

Even a new fan knows GNRs hits.
Theres a lot more people that dont know about the gnr history than you think. Musically and from 94-on.

Its because theres nothing.  When (if) there is something, outlooks will change dont you think?
Absolutely but theres pessimism there because of all the negative stuff thats been written. Not just the inactivity. Once the ball gets rolling, the fans will get pumped but the critics will still be on the same gloomy side.

The only thing GNR has is the name. Thats the only positive they have for them right now. Initially it will help a lot. But after that its all on the music.

The odds are against GNR and heres why:
not the original band
animosity towards Axl
Inactivity in 10 yrs
cancelled tours
the delays
rumors
and most importantly..and the thing that probably gets most overlooked:
The fact that the members in this band arent all stars. They are basically unknown to the mainstream and havnt been in major bands musically. This band has to come togetehr musically and meet or surpass the olds success in terms of music.

To me that is a lot more pressure and they are more of the underdog than VR. For those who say otherwise, no matter your stance on new gnr are not being fair.

its funny cause i was going to make a thread about somehting liek this a few weeks ago.Something like DO you consider gnr an underdog etc....

Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: