Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 09:23:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228524 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  another tommy interview
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: another tommy interview  (Read 1881 times)
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« on: September 03, 2004, 08:16:59 AM »

http://www.thereader.com/createpage.asp?contentID=2641

Stinson Goes Solo
Replacement-turned-Guns N? Roses bassist plays Ranch Bowl

by Jesse Stanek

At the ripe young age of 12, Tommy Stinson was recruited by his older brother Bob and two fellow aspiring Minnesotan musicians, Chris Mars and Paul Westerberg, to handle bass duties for what would ultimately be one of the most unforgettable rock acts of all time: The Replacements.

Few modern-day musical historians would refute the enormous influence The ??Mats? had on a burgeoning underground of college musicians, eventually setting the stage for bands like R.E.M. to depart the smoky grime of overpacked clubs and step triumphantly onto the arena stages of the world.

The thrashy garage-punk goodness that characterized their earlier efforts like Sorry Ma, Forgot To Take Out the Trash would eventually be toned down into pure rock edginess, leaving behind a wealth of epic songs and quality albums, including cult classics like Let It Be and Pleased To Meet Me.

The band?s later years are pocked with tales of infighting, jealousy, desertion and onstage debauchery, with Tommy Stinson at one point regrettably having to kick his brother out of the band. Five years after Bob Stinson?s departure, The Mats hung up their touring shoes and called it quits in the early 1990s.

?At that point everyone just wanted out,? Stinson said from San Francisco?s Commodore Hotel. ?We kind of felt like we had done what we could. Paul had a lot of aspirations outside of the band, and I think everyone was OK with that.?

With a career?s worth of musical experience and still below the quarter-century mark (Stinson was 24 when the band broke up), he put down his bass, took up rhythm guitar and formed the Stones-ish Bash & Pop. B&P released one album and toured regularly, but the project was short-lived and soon folded.

After the untimely death of brother-mentor Bob in 1995, a devastated Stinson made every effort to endure and eventually put together an outfit called Perfect, a band whose touring and recording would be quite therapeutic for him.

?I don?t know how much Bob?s passing affected me as a musician,? Stinson offered. ?I think he affected me in general. There?s something about the way he played that will stay with me forever.

?He had a way of twisting the guitar into something it shouldn?t have been,? he added with the reverence a younger brother reserves for his elder siblings.

Working out of Los Angeles at this point, Perfect took the local stages by storm with a sound Stinson referred to as ?poppier? than most of his previous work. Perfect would eventually tour nationally, recording an EP and a full-length, the latter of which was shelved in a classic case of record-label fumbling. Perfect called it quits shortly thereafter.

It wouldn?t be long before Stinson?s trademark ?Mexican-jumping-bean bass? would fill out another legendary band. Josh Friese, a close friend of Stinson?s, was drumming for metal rockers Guns N? Roses, and eventually Stinson was asked to handle four-string duties.

With the band for more than six years, he has found plenty of downtime amid the sometimes chaotic and hectic roller-coaster ride that is GNR. While its well-known frontman Axl Rose has seen his share of bad press and the world continues to wait patiently for the enigmatic Chinese Democracy release, Stinson is quick to praise his time with the band and its leader.

?[Chinese Democracy] is really close to being released,? Stinson said assuredly. ?One of the reasons it has taken so long is because Axl doesn?t come in with a song ready to go. It?s really much more of a collaborative process. He brings everyone together. So, you know, it takes longer, but it?s really a much more gratifying way to do it.

?The press is usually wrong about him,? Stinson stated in defense of the bandana-clad crooner. ?He?s been a pleasure to work with, and he?s real supportive of all of us. I?ve got a lot to be thankful for.?

With some free time, Stinson took the opportunity to release a solo album, Village Gorilla Head. Stinson handles nearly all of the musicianship on the album, resulting in a sound aptly able to spotlight his musical prowess, as well as offering a nod to lyricists like Bob Dylan and former bandmate Westerberg.

Village is a project in which many of Stinson?s influences are worn on the record?s sleeve. The cuts are full of glimpses of The Clash, David Bowie, Big Star, Squeeze, and The Beatles.

His range is appositely documented as well. As Stinson simply puts it, ?I wanted as much different stuff as I could put into one album.?

The CD comes across as a bold adventure on a new sonic soundscape, with artful arrangements and tantalizing lyrics abounding, garnering a fair amount of critical praise.

Backing Stinson on tour is Seattle?s Alien Crime Syndicate, a band he has worked with for years. When asked what folks might expect when the two team up on stage, Stinson casually offered, ?A rock show that starts off quiet and builds to a loud, screaming mess.?

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
noonespecial
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2004, 08:38:55 AM »

“The press is usually wrong about him,” Stinson stated in defense of the bandana-clad crooner. “He’s been a pleasure to work with, and he’s real supportive of all of us. I’ve got a lot to be thankful for.”

I like they way he says the press is "usually" wrong about him...just strikes me as funny... hihi
Hoping Tommy's thankful perspective on things will rub off on Axl should he choose to venture into the "big fish bowl" again for a tour...keep those positive vibes reverberating Tommy! ok
youngerformofaxl
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2004, 11:27:33 AM »

Once again, another article where Tommy says it closed to being finished.  We've gone from almost ready to a hair's breadth from being finished to it's really close to being released. I'm pretty excited.
grog mug
Legend

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2004, 06:10:36 PM »

Don't get too excited.  It's all up to Axl and when he thinks we've "forgotten" about him.  He doesn't want the rock star image anymore.
Dave_Rose
VIP

Cheese Sandwich

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2004, 08:26:35 PM »

Tommy has done so much press lately WOW good man though

EEEERRRR Little boy
ccorn69
VIP

Dreaming and waiting

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2004, 09:09:02 PM »

Once again, another article where Tommy says it closed to being finished.? We've gone from almost ready to a hair's breadth from being finished to it's really close to being released. I'm pretty excited.

me to but i aint holdin my breath until i get something official

Thats not Stardust on my feet...
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: