Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 07:25:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228530 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Avril Lavinge-crap or not?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Avril Lavinge-crap or not?  (Read 17009 times)
virtue this
Opening Act

ain't it fun...such fun

« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2004, 01:46:50 AM »

the fact that that was late 70's time era
things are abit different
punk was only just getting out there then..
-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-
i dont want to create and arguement over this cos damn ive been in heeps over this sorta thing (avril punk?)
im mean i dont care cos she deffinatly in my opinion is NOT!

your nightmares seem like dreams to me when i wake up to face reality
matt88
Riding The Nightrain
Legend

Slash is the King

« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2004, 02:37:34 AM »

Somehow I feel that the people who find her hot are setting their standards a bit low.. If I met her walking down the street, I honestly wouldn't look twice. She's a dime a dozen.

Agreed!

"I've been draggin my heels with a bitch called hope let the undercurrent drag me along"
liquidvirus
Mechanical Animal
VIP

Gettin Down and Dirrrty

« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2004, 03:28:24 AM »

hmmm, i personally think she'll be much hotter if she was a bit more controversial. she's just too good a girl for the rock image she seems to be potraying.

btw, a funny thing, I think this thread had more posts than any other thread in the GNR section rofl

Life is like a penis most people don't know it
But most people suck so they usually blow it.
gypsy eyes
Headliner

proud to be a llama!

« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2004, 09:58:38 AM »

Why do you care so much? Most of you would have trouble naming 5 punk bands. She's not wearing anything different to most 15 year old girls.
five? ill give you my fav five... and yes some are a bit clich? but i love them, sorry Tongue

1) The Dead Boys... love em love em love em!!!! Cheesy
2) The Sex Pistols (and there's the ulitmate clich? punkband? hihi)
3) Reduced To A Whisper
4) No Shame
5) The Misfits

and yes i can name many more too, tons of punk bands i love... does that mean im punk?? HELL NO!!!! I just like that music... but for Avril to say that she's punk while she doesn't even like that music? that's stupid... but hey wait... who said she doesn't like it? SHE DOESN'T EVEN KNOW IT!!!!
again the lovely uberpunk Avril Vicious talking: "People are like, 'Well, she doesn't know the Sex Pistols.' Why would I know that stuff? Look how young I am. That stuff's old, right?"

yeah avril, right on ok

about the clothes... i don't know where you live but most 15 year olds don't walk around like that... and even if they did: dear avril isn't 15 anymore!? Roll Eyes

why do i care? because i LOVE punk music, Johnny Thunders is one of my fav artists ever and if people ask me what music he makes and i say it's kinda old punk i DON'T want to hear them react like "oh a bit like avril lavigne?" rant

she ruins the music, she ruins the clothes too: i can't wear a safety pin anymore or people compare me to her... snobs in my school (and i mean real snobs, the kind who's daddy is a lawyer/doctor and who have a big indoor swimming pool etc) go around wearing shirts that say how they're "angry young and poor"... wtf??
she even "stole" my hair... she works her hair for hours to make it look so flat (and then she says she's so "natural" hihi) while i work and curl and tease my hair to get a lil volume in it... when im having a bad hair day and i can't style it and i look like "her" the last thing i want is for people to go "oh wow that's so cool, how did you get your hair like avril lavigne? Cheesy"? rant rant rant

You got something to say to me
Well say it to my face
I'm so sick of society
That says me I'm out of place
Chris Misfit
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2004, 12:52:21 PM »

I have to say before this thread that I had never heard anyone call her punk before. I keep my distance from pop culture.

I also admit to only seeing Avril Lavwhatever in her Skater Boi video, and yes, I do see alot of girls dressed like that now, and even before she was the in thing.

I've never felt that style had anything to do with punk, the only people who thought this were the rich kids who could afford a leather jacket, and they were only into it, to annoy their parents.

So whilst you're worrying about Avril, I'll be listening to some punk bands. Ciao.
Rebecca Duff Rose
Roxi McK
VIP

Kool Ranch Dres'ing

« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2004, 04:02:05 PM »

I got both her albums! Both are good I mean not GNR-worthy but good for todays "music".
Avrils punk-pop like Blink!
She cool and pretty- she speaks her mind, i don't think shes very respectful about the sex pistols mind, but she's cool!
She's young and enjoying herself- whats wrong with that?!
Her lyrics are meaningful and help girls get through their fall-outs with blokes etc...
She aint top at live performances but at least shes better than your grampa on a karaoke!!  Grin

SLASH- "Guitar solos are back," he said with a grin through his long, curly mane.
GNR- The hardworking band that once called themselves FAMILY!!!
Mr Cowbell ?
Legend

HTGTH Powerslam Champion / Former WWE Game Champ

« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2004, 06:26:55 PM »

She aint top at live performances but at least shes better than your grampa on a karaoke!!? Grin

Yeah got to agree with them.

And shes some nice eye candy, my grandpa can still sing better then Britney Spears though.

Ron Jeremy - BEND OVER.
The New Fiona Apple
So, what do you think of my pic?
VIP

I guess I just wasn't made for these times

« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2004, 12:15:17 AM »

Crap. I'd still bang her though.

?I only know what I read [in the press],?
Bobby Valentine

Vicarious Existence is a fucking waste of time
-Axl Rose
Mattman
Sk8er boi
VIP

It's better to burn out than to fade away...

« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2004, 01:30:55 AM »

So was Sid Vicious, but the media treat him like a punk god.

Off topic, but I just thought I'd say...I never really got the whole fascination with Sid Vicious.  After all, he didn't write any songs, he couldn't sing, he couldn't even play bass (and not as in the I'm-punk-and-I-only-know-three-chords way - he REALLY couldn't play).  The real reason he's a punk legend?  He's DEAD.  Death is a great career move.

I got both her albums! Both are good I mean not GNR-worthy but good for todays "music".
She cool and pretty- she speaks her mind, i don't think shes very respectful about the sex pistols mind, but she's cool!
Her lyrics are meaningful and help girls get through their fall-outs with blokes etc...
She aint top at live performances but at least shes better than your grampa on a karaoke!!  Grin

Musically, Avril is nothing like Blink.  Blink-182 and other punk-pop bands lay claim to being "punk" by having loud buzzsaw guitar riffs and really fast tunes.  Avril doesn't have either of those...ergo, she is not even punk-pop.  Just pop, or pop rock if you will.  Nothing wrong with that.

Blink rules!  smoking
virtue this
Opening Act

ain't it fun...such fun

« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2004, 04:55:25 AM »

avril is "power pop"

gypsy eyes
Headliner

proud to be a llama!

« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2004, 04:39:47 PM »

So was Sid Vicious, but the media treat him like a punk god.

Off topic, but I just thought I'd say...I never really got the whole fascination with Sid Vicious.? After all, he didn't write any songs, he couldn't sing, he couldn't even play bass (and not as in the I'm-punk-and-I-only-know-three-chords way - he REALLY couldn't play).? The real reason he's a punk legend?? He's DEAD.? Death is a great career move.
hihi you could say the same about kurt cobain  Grin

and if the only reason he's big is that he died then how do you explain that he was already one of the biggest motherfucker worldwide when he was still alive... or that the SP in general are still such gods, even though rotten isn't dead yet (he's in the category "looks dead, isn't dead" Wink) sid was just amazing and nothing can change that... now if you really wanna discuss hims start up a new thread or talk about it in private, it doesn't belong here, but id love to persuade you to become a vicious fan Grin

and "power pop"?? wtf is that? Shocked rofl

Well say it to my face
I'm so sick of society
Wheres Izzy
I smoke my cigarette with style
VIP

« Reply #51 on: August 30, 2004, 07:25:13 PM »

Gypsy-
I love all the bands you listed (especially the misfits) but how could you not put the ramones! ONe of my favorite bands ever, I know you could compare alot of their songs with bubblegum music from the 50's but I still love it all.
I saw someone on tv say once "the ramones invented punk rock, the sex pistols perfected it". I always thought they got that right.

Can you imagine, for a second, doing
anything just 'cuz you want to?
Well, that's just what I do so hooray for me and fuck you
Miz
Dog treats!
Legend

Everything Louder Than Everything Else

« Reply #52 on: August 30, 2004, 07:52:59 PM »

The sex pistols we're just manufactured image based fuckers who made one good album and destroyed stuff.  They didn't have integrity.  Go watch "I'm a Celebrity...Get Me Out Of Here" if you think i'm lying.

Anyway, I think it's quite funny that topics about Avril Lavigne and Linkin Park get more replies than any other topic about any other band...on a board full of people who claim to be educated music listeners.

Seeing as I'm here I might as well say something on topic, Avril obviously does what the record company tells her to, and has songs written for her, so on that basis she's just like any other pop star.  But then Elvis did that too and almost everyone (stupid?) claims he was the inventor of Rock N' Roll.

Steven's drumming made the band; he made a big musical difference.  His sense of swing was the push and pull that gave those songs their feel, afterwards, nothing worked. ~ Izzy Stradlin
virtue this
Opening Act

ain't it fun...such fun

« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2004, 12:40:53 AM »

power pop...good charlotte,simple plan the artists that just dont make the cut into/or punk or other wise....can sometimes be called pop punk.

gypsy eyes
Headliner

proud to be a llama!

« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2004, 03:57:44 PM »

Gypsy-
I love all the bands you listed (especially the misfits) but how could you not put the ramones! ONe of my favorite bands ever, I know you could compare alot of their songs with bubblegum music from the 50's but I still love it all.
I saw someone on tv say once "the ramones invented punk rock, the sex pistols perfected it". I always thought they got that right.
You know (and like?!!) No Shame and Reduced To A whisper? Shocked
wow I'm impressed, I don't know anyone who does! Cheesy

and I love many many more band that I didn't list, that's just my top five, I didn't even list Johnny Thunders and he's one of my greatest influences! The Ramones rock and I do love em but I wouldn't say they're real PUNK, they definitly had a big part in the punk process but they're more punkrock, not real hardcore punk... but that's jus my opinion of course Wink

but you're right, they kick ass! beer

The sex pistols we're just manufactured image based fuckers who made one good album and destroyed stuff.  They didn't have integrity.  Go watch "I'm a Celebrity...Get Me Out Of Here" if you think i'm lying.

Anyway, I think it's quite funny that topics about Avril Lavigne and Linkin Park get more replies than any other topic about any other band...on a board full of people who claim to be educated music listeners.

Seeing as I'm here I might as well say something on topic, Avril obviously does what the record company tells her to, and has songs written for her, so on that basis she's just like any other pop star.  But then Elvis did that too and almost everyone (stupid?) claims he was the inventor of Rock N' Roll.

1) I'm a celebrity get me out of here is a disgrace to mankind, it's even worse than big brother, i hate that kind of tv... but anyways... that's 2004, not 1970s!!! yes the SP today are dead, yes Rotten has become what he revolted against: a lame money machine... (lol just listening to the song Big Machine... coincidence? hihi)
But most rock stars are, it's sad to see really... that's why Rotten doesn't have that whole punk legacy around him anymore, like Vicious... maybe he should have died too before he had the chance to screw up hihi KILL EM aLL!!!! rofl

But you can't say the SP are manufactered! that's just bs (see Sid Vicious thread)

2) I went to music academy, I AM educated and have a degree to prove it Grin The reason I reply is to defend Sid and to discuss Avril, I figured eevry normal rocker thinks she's pure shit, but apperantly that's not the case, so I wonder what's up with that?

3) record compagnies were very different back then... plus: rock n' roll is a musical genre, unlike punk (again: see the Sid Vicious thread)

power pop...good charlotte,simple plan the artists that just dont make the cut into/or punk or other wise....can sometimes be called pop punk.
hihi it sounds like you got that from a dictionary rofl rofl rofl

Well say it to my face
I'm so sick of society
virtue this
Opening Act

ain't it fun...such fun

« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2004, 05:28:03 AM »

i am a dictionary

Jaded
Rocker

Going 'straight' will get you nowhere

« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2005, 09:25:14 PM »

Sorry for bringing this thread back but i just want to make a few things clear....
Avril Lavinge does not exist, but i believe you're refering to Avril Lavigne so i'll carry on.
She does NOT believe she's punk, i repeat NOT...
Those quotes you came out with... did you read those or actually hear her say them in a spoken interview on the tv? You have no proof she said those if you never heard/saw her say them and even if she did how do you know it wasn't tongue-in-cheek going along with the whole punk thing cos hey 'they hate me already why not stir it up a little more'.
But here are a few quotes from interviews i have actually seen and not just quotes i have read...
So what do you think, are you punk?
AL: "NO! Last time I was here you were like 'oh punk rock Avril Lavigne' and i was like 'er.. no i'm not'. All that stuff is really annoying and i don't think i'm any of that and it's just the media and they don't even know me so... *sticks middle finger up."

You get called punk...
"Yeah... i'm not punk, that's a totally different world, i'm a pop-rock artist."

"I get labelled something and people disagree and then they hate me and it's like don't hate me cos of what i get labelled!"

"I'm not punk-rock. I never was punk-rock."

So what she dressed slightly different to Britney and Christina... how exactly does that make her a poser... jeez leave the lass alone.
At least she co-writes her songs and gets involved in the production and plays guitar, piano n drums on stage...
Find someone else to pick on... some one who doesn't actually have talent

It's evolution, baby!
Evolution
« Reply #57 on: August 14, 2005, 11:55:41 PM »

They stopped picking on her in this thread a year ago  Tongue
electricmage
Rocker

Zakk is better then you.

« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2005, 02:37:10 AM »

She aint top at live performances but at least shes better than your grampa on a karaoke!!? Grin

So she speaks her mind. So does Stephen Hawking. But he's a theoretical Physicist. and he knows what the fuck he is talking about.

It's a bit different when you have some dumb kid who thinks they are doing something different and attempting to be someone they aren't. She wants to be like Sid Vicious? Fine by me. She can go die of a herion overdose.

She is no different from that white kid you know who talks like a brotha robbing a convienient store is compton.
Mr. Dick Purple
and the iconoclast in yellow
Legend

I have inside me blood of Kings

« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2005, 05:22:56 PM »

avril is "power pop"

rofl I laughed all day when I saw this and I still do, Cool name though for crapy bands ok

No man can be my equal
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: