Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 30, 2024, 06:51:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228138 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  New Guitarist
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Guitarist  (Read 7091 times)
eze
Headliner

Tough times never last... tough people do!

« on: August 23, 2004, 12:48:03 PM »

I know Zakk Wylde jammed out with the boys in the late 90's, but I think he would be a great choice as a replacement. I know he is more of a heavier guitarist, but I think he would fit perfectly and would jump at the chance to join GNR.
Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2004, 01:08:04 PM »

I know Zakk Wylde jammed out with the boys in the late 90's, but I think he would be a great choice as a replacement. I know he is more of a heavier guitarist, but I think he would fit perfectly and would jump at the chance to join GNR.

Do you not think that Zakk is a bit too "Ye Olde Rockstar' for gnr? If Axl is keen on moving Guns n'roses forward I really don't think Zakk is the right man. Zakk is more for your LA sleaze, waggle tongue, lick guitar kind of band or possibly your Euro-rock, Helloween inspired, stand on a hill and sing about castles, dragons and eagles kind of band
tHeElEcTrIcSiNtAr
VIP

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2004, 01:17:05 PM »

I think Dave Navarro would be a great addition to the band. But thats my opinion.

BTW, is Jane's Addiction broken up or what? One week I heard they broke up, then 2 weeks later I heard they are back together, which is it?
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2004, 01:19:21 PM »

Do you not think that Zakk is a bit too "Ye Olde Rockstar' for gnr? If Axl is keen on moving Guns n'roses forward I really don't think Zakk is the right man. Zakk is more for your LA sleaze, waggle tongue, lick guitar kind of band or possibly your Euro-rock, Helloween inspired, stand on a hill and sing about castles, dragons and eagles kind of band

I had the same reservations about Axl's prior tries at collaborating with Zakk, that nonwithstanding, Zakk can flat out right a crunchy riff, which is exactly what GNR needs considering the 5 or 6 songs we've heard over the past 5+ years from Axl and co. 

Maybe an influence like that could really move him forward and get him away from the "so last decade" direction of orchestration, loops, samples and multiple keyboard goofiness...

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
gnrfan1797
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2004, 01:21:54 PM »

I think they already have enough guitar players as it is.  Smiley
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2004, 01:24:42 PM »

I think Dave Navarro would be a great addition to the band. But thats my opinion.

BTW, is Jane's Addiction broken up or what? One week I heard they broke up, then 2 weeks later I heard they are back together, which is it?

I love Navarro as well, although he said his decision not to join GNR a few years back was the best musical decision he's made throughout his distinguished career.

Janes is done.  Navarro, Steve Perkins and Chris Cheney have moved forward with a new singer, Steve Issacs (ex-Skycycle) to form "The Panic Channel".

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2004, 01:34:15 PM »

Mysteron,
? ?Find and DL (it's not been released, as far as I know) Zakk's song "Stillborn", the Planet of Sound live version.? Killer, Killer, Killer tune...one I think "feels" very much like a GnR tune.

That's not to say he WOULD be the best fit with GnR....but that song....whew...
« Last Edit: August 23, 2004, 01:40:04 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
madagas
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2004, 01:42:14 PM »

Falcon Falcon Falcon......the crunchy riff is oh so 70's...not even last decade but 3 decades ago!!!! Think before you type...everything is played out in rock and roll, but the punchy crunchy hairy knuckle riff game has been played out for 30 years.  rofl rofl Somebody has to keep you in check. Grin
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2004, 01:45:03 PM »

The type of band that the GNR we all once knew and loved was?  I know I've never heard Zakk going "Dungeons and Dragons" on a song yet with his mythological viking hammer as you claim he would be most suited, however since we're going on looks wouldn't Axl be more suited to be "rollin' in his 64' Impala, hittin' switches for the bitches" alongside Snoop Dogg and Dr. Dre?

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2004, 01:52:13 PM »

The type of band that the GNR we all once knew and loved was?? I know I've never heard Zakk going "Dungeons and Dragons" on a song yet with his mythological viking hammer as you claim he would be most suited, however since we're going on looks wouldn't Axl be more suited to be "rollin' in his 64' Impala, hittin' switches for the bitches" alongside Snoop Dogg and Dr. Dre?

rofl rofl

I was going more on image content so you could be right about Axl  rofl
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2004, 01:59:14 PM »

Falcon Falcon Falcon......the crunchy riff is oh so 70's...not even last decade but 3 decades ago!!!! Think before you type...everything is played out in rock and roll, but the punchy crunchy hairy knuckle riff game has been played out for 30 years.? rofl rofl Somebody has to keep you in check. Grin

Oh Madagas...Being the conduit to popular culture that I am (wink wink), the crunchy riff is indeed the new alternative, the underground, the presence of new cool as we know it.

I believe that's also multiple "hairy knuckle" references from you over the past week or so, has disdain moved to dare I say, obsession? Grin

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

madagas
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2004, 02:05:53 PM »

just a lack of creativity..I still like a good old rock riff..don't get me wrong. I just think the whole genre is played out. My only wish is that whatever the red herring does, he does it well. Let's hope he picks something that is "him". Tongue
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2004, 02:11:19 PM »

Let's hope he picks something that is "him". Tongue

I beginning to think the only thing "him" at this point in time is somewhere between Billy Joel and the Atlanta Rhythm Section..

Now that's frightening..

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Lionel Hutz
Attorney-at-law
VIP

In loving memory of Phil Hartman

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2004, 02:23:00 PM »

In my opinion, two guitarists = enough guitarists Smiley
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2004, 02:30:14 PM »

I hope they dont bring in a big guiatrist like zak or dave. I rather Axl introduce us to an unknown. Its much better that way.

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
eze
Headliner

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2004, 02:34:19 PM »

Honestly who would fit better in the band? Buckethead, Robin, or Zakk? I agree with you mysteron, but I think Zakk would be a perfect fit for that kick ass GNR sound we all grew to love.
Wheres Izzy
I smoke my cigarette with style
VIP

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2004, 02:39:16 PM »

In all honesty now, who wouldn't love to hear Zakk play a song like nitetrain? I think it would sound fucking incredible.

Can you imagine, for a second, doing
anything just 'cuz you want to?
Well, that's just what I do so hooray for me and fuck you
eze
Headliner

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2004, 02:40:58 PM »

Zakk on Nighttrain.... drool!!!!!   ok
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2004, 03:39:55 PM »

They don`t need a new guitarist. Fortus can hold his own in the awesome solo department. Finck brings an emotional sound with his playing.

Buckethead was the best shredder I have heard in the last 10 years, he doesn`t do the same blues stuff most lead guys do, he is simply unique. Too bad he is gone. But...GNR can do just fine with 2 guitarists.

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
ccorn69
VIP

Dreaming and waiting

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2004, 04:03:51 PM »

The type of band that the GNR we all once knew and loved was?? I know I've never heard Zakk going "Dungeons and Dragons" on a song yet with his mythological viking hammer as you claim he would be most suited, however since we're going on looks wouldn't Axl be more suited to be "rollin' in his 64' Impala, hittin' switches for the bitches" alongside Snoop Dogg and Dr. Dre?

rofl rofl

I was going more on image content so you could be right about Axl? rofl

why do you think Shaq guest rapped rofl rofl rofl rofl

Thats not Stardust on my feet...
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: