Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 04, 2024, 07:23:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228151 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Why isn't the new gnr considered a supergroup?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why isn't the new gnr considered a supergroup?  (Read 17167 times)
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2004, 10:03:18 PM »

They made a regular rock album. Absolutely nothing wrong with that but it wasnt creative.

That's your opinion, which you're entitled to.

Also, let's don't mistake creative with innovative or revolutionary, totally different animals not to be confused.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2004, 10:11:42 PM »

Yeah slash is not innovative, Axl is.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Mr Cowbell ?
Legend

HTGTH Powerslam Champion / Former WWE Game Champ

« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2004, 10:20:28 PM »

Madagascar is one of the best gnr songs ever written and its only filler for CD according to Axl.
Madagascar is ok. I didnt think it was anything to revolutionairy (thats just my opinion, just like Dav has his own)

According to Axl he said at Rio 2001 see you next summer and he wasnt there next summer.

He has said CD is close for years now. And I think its safe to say Axl lives in his own little world. Regardless of what Axl says I doubt the 5 songs he plays live are just gonna be fillers. If he didnt think Madagascar was gonna be a hit someday he wouldnt of played it at the VMA in 2002.  WTTJ, Madagascar, the Paradise City. Yeah I am sure he only honestly believes its a filler when its putting it with two of their biggest hits

Ron Jeremy - BEND OVER.
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2004, 10:28:15 PM »

Madagascar is one of the best gnr songs ever written and its only filler for CD according to Axl.
Madagascar is ok. I didnt think it was anything to revolutionairy (thats just my opinion, just like Dav has his own)

According to Axl he said at Rio 2001 see you next summer and he wasnt there next summer.

He has said CD is close for years now. And I think its safe to say Axl lives in his own little world. Regardless of what Axl says I doubt the 5 songs he plays live are just gonna be fillers. If he didnt think Madagascar was gonna be a hit someday he wouldnt of played it at the VMA in 2002.? WTTJ, Madagascar, the Paradise City. Yeah I am sure he only honestly believes its a filler when its putting it with two of their biggest hits

Axl said at the VMAs dont hold your breath and since then has not said its close. so you are wrong there.  And its nice to know you have heard CD since you know that is not filler.
All I can do is go by what Axl said, and since he heard the album I think ill take his word.

Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2004, 10:31:52 PM »

Yeah slash is not innovative, Axl is.

Neither are looked at as innovators, supremely talented for sure, but never revolutionaries by any stretch..

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2004, 10:41:21 PM »

I was thinking today about why isn't the new gnr considered a supergroup?

You done did good on this sentence.

Think about it, you have VR who is considered one, they got members of gnr and stp.

Members from bands that produced albums like Appetite For Destruction and Core.  I'd say that qualifies as a supergroup (even though I don't like that label).

Audio slave is considered one bc they have members from soundgarden and rage.

Members from bands that produced albums like Superunknown and Rage Against The Machine.  I'd say that qualifies as a supergroup (even though I don't like that label).

Temple of the dog was considered one and so was mad season,

I'm not familiar with Mad Season... but I do know that Temple of the Dog had some members who helped make albums like Vs. and Ten, and some who worked on Soundgarden records.

but the new gnr is not.
They have Axl and Dizzy from old gnr,

Excuse me?  I've never heard of the band "Old GNR".... this band is called Guns N' Roses (not "new gnr" or "nu-gnr"), since they do not have a new name, these two members are in the SAME band.

tommy from the replacements,

Sure people know the Replacements, but not on the same level as GN'R, Soundgarden, or Pearl Jam... and even if they do, they're probably more familiar with Westerberg.

robin from nin

As far as I know, Robin hasn't played on a Nine Inch Nails album.  So he never wrote any of that music, and is probably not very well known (unlike Trent Reznor).

fortus from psychiallic furs

I'm still waiting for an answer on this one... Who the fuck are the Psychiallic Furs?  Since you said "robin from nin"... I think you should've put "fortus from nsync"...

bh from a lot of stuff

Ok, sure?

and brian from primus.

BRAIN played in Primus, yes.

So why arent gnr considered a supergroup is it just because they kept the guns n roses name?
When Cd comes out, i still dont see them being called one.

I'd say that's exactly why.  There is nothing "super" about this band.  It's just a bunch of musicians that Axl has picked out to be a part of a band that already existed.  If you're talking about the talent level of the individual members, then that's your opinion.  The public disagrees with you.  They think that the guitar playing on Appetite For Destruction is far more enjoyable to listen to then the wanking on Bucketheadland 2 or whatever new album he's pumped out.  As far as their collective work?? You've haven't heard enough of their music to say they are better than a Slash or a Duff or a Tom Morello, etc., etc.  For ever good song this band has written (that we have heard), there is a bad song to cancel it out.  You may think Madagascar is better than Estranged or November Rain... but would you say Oh My God is better than Paradise City? or Welcome to the Jungle?  This band has done nothing to prove themselves "more talented" than the other "supergroups" you mentioned.

Ugh, I felt like Dizzy writing that.   nervous
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2004, 10:52:11 PM »

I'm still waiting for an answer on this one... Who the fuck are the Psychiallic Furs?? Since you said "robin from nin"... I think you should've put "fortus from nsync"...

The Furs were/are a British band that had it's greatest success stateside with the single "Pretty In Pink"
and another minor hit with "Heartbreak Beat" in the mid 80's.? Fortus was not a member during that time, he came on board after he and Furs frontman Richard Butler disolved Love Spit Love. (who's claim to fame is the remake of The Smiths "How Soon Is Now?" which is featured on the opening credits to the US series "Charmed") Butler later included Fortus in a revamped version of the Furs.

On a side not, I saw the Furs last Tuesday night, good show, very nostalgic.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2004, 11:07:09 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2004, 10:58:36 PM »

sky I dont have time for? your bullshit but you know Brains first name is Brian right?
As for the new gnr they are more talented than VR and audioslave.
Im sorry you dont have a diverse taste in music but look up some of the bands? you have not heard of, they might surprise? you. BTW want to put money ($20) that Cd sells more than contraband?

This bet is for you and you only.

Ps oh my god is better than any rocker on contraband

One more thing.
Id like to thank all the people that missed the point of this thread.
But of coarse the bashers like turning threads into something they are not.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2004, 11:09:17 PM by dave-gnfnr2k » Logged

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2004, 11:19:53 PM »

One more thing.

I was not gonna say this but the people in this band are more talented than VR and audioslave.
Neither band has a song that can come close to madagascar.

That's where the thread turned, you reap what you sew...
« Last Edit: August 22, 2004, 11:24:42 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2004, 11:26:25 PM »

it turned way before that but I know you are blind so its fine.

younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2004, 11:28:29 PM »

Yeah I am sure he only honestly believes its a filler when its putting it with two of their biggest hits
Lets think about it logically. Does he feel strongly about Maddy? Im sure he does. But that doesnt mean he thinks its a hit. He played it because of the songs they have played it best fit the melody. Also why play a single if the album isnt coming out during that time. Why play a single if its not even out. Why show it to the world live? MAkes no sense....

Whether you think Axl and the band are capable of creating classics is your choice. But there are songs in that vault, on that album, that the band think very highly of. And we havnt heard them yet. So until they are heard you cant say they have or havnt delivered.

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2004, 11:30:04 PM »

here is where it started falcon

Naupis
Rocker

I'm a llama!

Re: Why isn't the new gnr considered a supergroup?
? Reply #33 on: Today at 03:36:10pm ?

Contraband isn't exactly oozing with creativity.....but one could argue nothing of the six songs we have heard from GNR are exactly earth shattering either. The Blues and Maddy...while great songs....sound like nothing more than a track from the illusions era. Nothing revolutionary. The same goes for C.D, Rhyiad, and those other two hell pits I refuse to name. They are nothing worth writing home about, at least not 10 years worth of wait good. Slash, Duff have shown they are every bit as creative and genius as Axl because they provide the music for every song the man has released. Try and knock their solo work all you want but the fact remains that the entire GNR catalog is currently littered with Slash and Duffs work and that is what helped make the band we all know and love. Everything they are doing at

or does that not count iin your eyes?

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2004, 11:32:51 PM »

it turned way before that but I know you are blind so its fine.

It became a VR/GNR debate at that very point so I'll consider being called "blind " by an Axl myopian a concession..... ok

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2004, 11:39:19 PM »

Contraband isn't exactly oozing with creativity.....but one could argue nothing of the six songs we have heard from GNR are exactly earth shattering either. The Blues and Maddy...while great songs....sound like nothing more than a track from the illusions era. Nothing revolutionary. The same goes for C.D, Rhyiad, and those other two hell pits I refuse to name. They are nothing worth writing home about, at least not 10 years worth of wait good. Slash, Duff have shown they are every bit as creative and genius as Axl because they provide the music for every song the man has released. Try and knock their solo work all you want but the fact remains that the entire GNR catalog is currently littered with Slash and Duffs work and that is what helped make the band we all know and love. Everything they are doing at

or does that not count iin your eyes?

I believe the post I quoted above from you came a few before Naupis, so obviously it was a close second
to your topic swayer..
« Last Edit: August 22, 2004, 11:41:19 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Mr Cowbell ?
Legend

HTGTH Powerslam Champion / Former WWE Game Champ

« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2004, 11:48:54 PM »

He has said CD is close for years now. And I think its safe to say Axl lives in his own little world. Regardless of what Axl says I doubt the 5 songs he plays live are just gonna be fillers. If he didnt think Madagascar was gonna be a hit someday he wouldnt of played it at the VMA in 2002.? WTTJ, Madagascar, the Paradise City. Yeah I am sure he only honestly believes its a filler when its putting it with two of their biggest hits

Axl said at the VMAs dont hold your breath and since then has not said its close. so you are wrong there.? And its nice to know you have heard CD since you know that is not filler.
All I can do is go by what Axl said, and since he heard the album I think ill take his word.
Yeah and if you believe after all that wait and the world looking at him you got to bet he's gonna play the best song he has. And he did Madagascar. Its no filler, its a late UYI type song.

Ron Jeremy - BEND OVER.
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2004, 11:58:51 PM »

scroll up cowbell

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #56 on: August 23, 2004, 12:01:14 AM »

Sorry Dave but you did turn the entire thread into the typical VR vs. Gnr thread by trying to say that GNR was this bastion of creativity and that nothing on Contraband compared to Maddy. I was just pointing out that to the naked ear, there is nothing creative about Maddy as it sounds like a retread of older GNR stuff we have already heard. I love the song, but we obviously hold it in two different esteems in terms of its place as a GNR great. So before you go spouting off about people ruining your threads realize it was soley your doing. THis thread broke down into what exactly you hoped it would, another attempt to try and somehow justify a band that has released no music is somehow better than the original band that is responsible for all the music you already love.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #57 on: August 23, 2004, 12:05:20 AM »

Sorry Dave but you did turn the entire thread into the typical VR vs. Gnr thread by trying to say that GNR was this bastion of creativity and that nothing on Contraband compared to Maddy.

I was just pointing  THis thread broke down into what exactly you hoped it would, another attempt to try and somehow justify a band that has released no music is somehow better than the original band that is responsible for all the music you already love.

Well said Naupis.

Case closed.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #58 on: August 23, 2004, 12:08:28 AM »

I'm still waiting for an answer on this one... Who the fuck are the Psychiallic Furs?? Since you said "robin from nin"... I think you should've put "fortus from nsync"...

The Furs were/are a British band that had it's greatest success stateside with the single "Pretty In Pink"
and another minor hit with "Heartbreak Beat" in the mid 80's.? Fortus was not a member during that time, he came on board after he and Furs frontman Richard Butler disolved Love Spit Love. (who's claim to fame is the remake of The Smiths "How Soon Is Now?" which is featured on the opening credits to the US series "Charmed") Butler later included Fortus in a revamped version of the Furs.

On a side not, I saw the Furs last Tuesday night, good show, very nostalgic.

I'm quite aware of who the Psychedelic Furs are.  I was just pointing out to Dave that if a band member like Fortus (who didn't even play with the Furs during their most successful period) should be considered part of a "supergroup", then certainly the person making that suggestion should know the ACTUAL name of the band he used to play in (Psyhciallic?)... But we're all aware of Dave's tendency to just slap keys on the board.. and create cute pet names like "Maddy".  hihi

Anyways...

As for the new gnr they are more talented than VR and audioslave.

Again, you have no proof of this... comparing each band member's efforts in their PREVIOUS bands, VR and Audioslave blow the current Guns N' Roses lineup out of the water (of course not including Axl, who has only played in GN'R).  As far as the current GN'R's work as a collective unit... you have NOT heard enough music to make a judgement like that.  You may think that Oh My God is "better than any rocker song on contraband"... but that's an opinion (which is not shared by many people bar about 50% of every fan of the new lineup).

Im sorry you dont have a diverse taste in music but look up some of the bands  you have not heard of, they might surprise  you.

I do that almost every time someone suggests a band to me.  BTW, there is a difference between having a diverse taste in music, and having a diverse taste in ROCK music.  It seems you are criticizing me for the latter for no apparent reason... maybe you should listen to some different genres of music, and you might be suprised.

BTW want to put money ($20) that Cd sells more than contraband?

No.  I am 99% confident that Chinese Democracy will outsell Contraband.  I also hope it's an incredible CD that will "surpass his previous efforts"... which is why I'm excited for it to come out someday.  This has nothing to do with the current GN'R lineup being called a 'supergroup'.. and I fail to see the point you're trying to make since you were defending the new guys' solo albums by saying "album sales do not necessarily mean someone is more talented".

Ps oh my god is better than any rocker on contraband

Roll Eyes

One more thing.

See now I'm confused.  Are the "bashers" the people who dislike Axl using the GN'R name?.... Or are the "bashers" the people who dislike you?

I understand the point of the thread, and it makes me prouder than ever to be a part of column B.
You want the simple answer?  The "new gnr" is not considered a supergroup because it is (techinically) not a new band that features members with glorious pasts.  Anyone could figure that out... but only you are cute enough to start a thread about it just to put down former members of your favourite band.  Kiss
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #59 on: August 23, 2004, 12:11:57 AM »

I'm quite aware of who the Psychedelic Furs are.? I was just pointing out to Dave that if a band member like Fortus (who didn't even play with the Furs during their most successful period) should be considered part of a "supergroup", then certainly the person making that suggestion should know the ACTUAL name of the band he used to play in (Psyhciallic?)... But we're all aware of Dave's tendency to just slap keys on the board.. and create cute pet names like "Maddy".? hihi

Apologies Sky, thought you were serious...

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: