Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 07, 2024, 01:50:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228156 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Why isn't the new gnr considered a supergroup?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why isn't the new gnr considered a supergroup?  (Read 17265 times)
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2004, 08:36:08 PM »

I thought it was pre Dave Navarro or directly thereafter, not sure.
Not sure either. But im almost positive it was early on when the original guitarist died. I remember watching it on BTM. Could be wrong though

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2004, 08:41:26 PM »

Ah so supergroups have less to do with talent and more to do with other things.
That is why most mainstream music sucks.

With VR and Audioslave, the concept is played out to perfection.  Both talented beyond reproach with creative credibility out the wazoo along with the obvious popularity of their previous bands.

Where are you trying to go with this?

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2004, 08:44:02 PM »

Ah so supergroups have less to do with talent and more to do with other things.
That is why most mainstream music sucks.

With VR and Audioslave, the concept is played out to perfection.? Both talented beyond reproach with creative credibility out the wazoo along with the obvious popularity of their previous bands.

Where are you trying to go with this?

You dont think axl, tommy, robin, bh and co are creative beyond reproach?

As for audioslave they are vastly overrated.

As for tom and chris in audioslave no one else is popular and as for slash and scott in VR the other members are not that popular either.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2004, 08:48:32 PM by dave-gnfnr2k » Logged

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
HoldenCaulfield
VIP

I strike to burn and no flame returns...

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2004, 08:47:54 PM »

When the album comes out, and people start getting to know the individual members, the term "super-group" will be heard often. The general rock audience doesn't even know who is in the band...

If a body meet a body, comin' through the rye...
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2004, 08:51:37 PM »

talented beyond reproach with creative credibility out the wazoo
I really dont mean to start another thread liek this but I must ask....What is so creative out of Contraband? Talented no doubt...but wheres the creativity. Everyone has said its a straight foward rock record.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2004, 08:54:48 PM by younggunner » Logged

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2004, 08:58:34 PM »

You dont think axl, tommy, robin, bh and co are creative beyond reproach?

Obviously Axl is.? Tommy to a much lesser degree, while BH and Robin have done absolutely nothing
creatively within the confines of successful group

As for audioslave they are vastly overrated.

Opinion....

As for tom and chris in audioslave no one else is popular and as for slash and scott in VR the other members are not that popular either.

So?? It's still the melding of creative forces from prior bands, individual popularity nonwithstanding.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2004, 09:03:53 PM »

It was just said they had to be popular or well known from the other bands to be a supergroup so which is it?
You cant have it both ways.

As for BH in the confinds of a group, have you heard of Praxis? Even if you have not, tht does not matter, his solo stuff still shows off his talent and he has worked with ALOT of people for different kinds of music.  That alone gets BH big points.

And how is tommy to a lesser degree? Did you hear some of the stuff he helped write in the replacements? Did you hear his solo album, which was much better than duffs might I add, whom you think is oozing with talent.

Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2004, 09:08:38 PM »

The general rock audience doesn't even know who is in the band...

That's ok... Dave doesn't know either (yet he still thinks they should be a 'supergroup')...

fortus from psychiallic furs, bh from a lot of stuff

Who the fuck are the Psychiallic Furs?

beer Cheers on a great thread.
Captain Obvious
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2004, 09:11:05 PM »

Being labeled a supergroup these days isn't cool. We should be thankful.
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2004, 09:14:26 PM »

Isnt this the same board that claims album sales are not an indication how talented or good a band is? yet now people some of the bands this guys from gnr game from didnt sell a lot of albums and are more underground is a negative thing.

Wow how hypocritical can some people be on this board.

I was not gonna say this but the people in this band are more talented than VR and audioslave.
Neither band has a song that can come close to madagascar.

And BH may still be in the band, and he will be on the album, thus that is why he is included in my point.
if you notice when ever BH is brought up, they said he is still under contract and leave it at that.

So that tells you he still might be coming back.

younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2004, 09:21:50 PM »

I was not gonna say this but the people in this band are more talented than VR and audioslave.
I totally agree with you on that. But with that being said, new gnr have to prove it. If they were able to mesh their talents and make it work with Axl then its all gravy. But until we hear that album, they are unknown. All of their solo efforts are great..but lets see hwo it works in this band. I personally think its going to be great but to be fair we have to wait and see.

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2004, 09:22:16 PM »

It was just said they had to be popular or well known from the other bands to be a supergroup so which is it?
You cant have it both ways.

I didn't say that....

As for BH in the confinds of a group, have you heard of Praxis?

Well I have, but not too many outside of our little GNR/Primus world have...

And how is tommy to a lesser degree? Did you hear some of the stuff he helped write in the replacements? Did you hear his solo album, which was much better than duffs might I add, whom you think is oozing with talent.

Are you trying to equate Stinsons' creative credentials to that of Axl Rose?? Have you gone absolutely mental?

And where exactly did I say Duff was oozing with talent?? Documentation please.

Again, where are you trying to go with this?? Same old direction it looks like...
« Last Edit: August 22, 2004, 09:27:46 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2004, 09:25:44 PM »

As always you love to twist stuff.
Like I said Tommy is just as talented as duff and id say much more. So how was I comparing Axls talent with Tommys?
And you said VR is oozing with talent, and last time i checked duff was in Vr.

Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2004, 09:36:10 PM »

Contraband isn't exactly oozing with creativity.....but one could argue nothing of the six songs we have heard from GNR are exactly earth shattering either. The Blues and Maddy...while great songs....sound like nothing more than a track from the illusions era. Nothing revolutionary. The same goes for C.D, Rhyiad, and those other two hell pits I refuse to name. They are nothing worth writing home about, at least not 10 years worth of wait good. Slash, Duff have shown they are every bit as creative and genius as Axl because they provide the music for every song the man has released. Try and knock their solo work all you want but the fact remains that the entire GNR catalog is currently littered with Slash and Duffs work and that is what helped make the band we all know and love. Everything they are doing at this point it gravy. They have two platinum albums this year, not bad for a bunch of hacks that road Axl's coatails. Roll Eyes
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2004, 09:38:03 PM »

Like I said Tommy is just as talented as duff and id say much more.

I never said he wasn't.

So how was I comparing Axls talent with Tommys?

You asked me how was Tommy "to a lesser degree" while in my original post I stated Tommy had creative credentials, albeit to a lesser degree than Axl Rose, hence your comparison, not mine.

And you said VR is oozing with talent, and last time i checked duff was in Vr.

As a whole sure, they've combined along with Scott Weiland to create a successful album by known creative forces from 2 previous major acts.

Where have I exactly said something to the effect "Duff is more talented than Tommy?"

This was originally a good topic with reasonable reasons/theories for the lack of "supergroup" tag...same old song and dance...

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2004, 09:39:16 PM »

Madagascar sounds like nothing off of the UYI era, plus we have only heard the live versions and not studio tracks, and if they sound this good live, they are going to be amazing on the album.
Most fans hated nov rain when they first heard it live, but loved it when they heard the studio version.

Madagascar is one of the best gnr songs ever written and its only filler for CD according to Axl.

Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2004, 09:44:19 PM »

Maddy will sound exactly like November Rain. Same power ballad formula with the big orchestra fills and piano's and organs and whatnot. It is going to sound exactly like what it is, a studio creation. Listen to the November Rain from Nobelsville and then the CD with all the extra stuff. That is exactly how Maddy will be, it will have all that stuff and sound cleaned up. The formula is exactly the same in terms of production value. The only difference is that one has the samples and the other doesn't covering the solo. Maddy didn't exactly recreate the wheel. I love the song and it is one of my GNR faves, but in no way would I consider it revoltionary or like nothign we have ever heard before.
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2004, 09:46:03 PM »

Madagascar has looping parts which nov rain does not, so right there its diff.
You cant tell me any song that has horns and a piano in it is modeled after nov rain.
Come on now.
Nov rain and madagasar are nothing alike.
The blues is closer to nov rain than madagascar.

Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2004, 09:50:05 PM »

I'm just saying that that whole 55 piece sympathy stuff has been done by him already. Go read all of the Gnr reviews from after the VMA's and the tour and most will compare the new song Maddy to November Rain, fairly or not because of all the sympanthy and orchestra stuff. We know he can compose orchestra stuff and I am just hoping to hear something new and innovative having waited all this time, not an album full of studio orchestra stuff.
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2004, 09:56:24 PM »

but one could argue nothing of the six songs we have heard from GNR are exactly earth shattering either.The Blues and Maddy...while great songs....sound like nothing more than a track from the illusions era.
Ill give you the Blues.
But in no way does Maddy or CD sound like something off UYI. Maddy is such a beautiful song. It sounds nothing liek old GNR material.

Nothing revolutionary. The same goes for C.D, Rhyiad, and those other two hell pits I refuse to name. They are nothing worth writing home about, at least not 10 years worth of wait good.
Out of the 3 albums owrth of material they have...im pretty sure the band has made some memorable songs that have yet to be heared.

We know he can compose orchestra stuff and I am just hoping to hear something new and innovative having waited all this time, not an album full of studio orchestra stuff.
The funny thing is the same people who say what you just said would then complain how CD lacks a direction or is too far out there for there liking. So to some, CD will not please.

As Tommy and Dizzy and other people who have heard and worked on the material. They have said Cd will be a melting pot. A little bit of everything for your listening pleasure....

Whether you think this band is capable or not, or whether you think Axl is washed up...this band says they still have their big guns. SOngs that they feel strongly about. So the jury is still out....

They are nothing worth writing home about, at least not 10 years worth of wait good.
They began making material with this band in 99/2000
Everything they are doing at this point it gravy. They have two platinum albums this year, not bad for a bunch of hacks that road Axl's coatails
Is there current material up to par with their old material? Hell no. So yea they have sold records but its about quality.
No1 is bashing Slash, etc or questioning what they did with old gnr. What they did was great. But since then their solo efforts are average at best and VR is nothing to be amazed about. Nothing that comes close to their old band.

We know what the old band can and cant do without Axl. When CD gets released we will see where Axl stands.

As a whole sure, they've combined along with Scott Weiland to create a successful album by known creative forces from 2 previous major acts.
Old gnr{creative} + Weiland{creative}= did not make a creative album. They made a regular rock album. Absolutely nothing wrong with that but it wasnt creative.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2004, 09:58:51 PM by younggunner » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: