Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 11:28:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Loving the Alien VS Don't Cry
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Loving the Alien VS Don't Cry  (Read 22054 times)
GNRisAFD
Headliner

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2004, 06:08:10 PM »

Don't Cry is way better than LTA, the only song that gets close to it is YGNR which sounds a little dissapointing on the album.

The problem with LTA is that it sounds too repetitive, the lyrics are also very simple and could've been written by anyone let alone Scott Weiland. As with most songs off CB its Slash that pretty much saves their credibility.
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2004, 08:37:43 PM »

Don't Cry is way better than LTA, the only song that gets close to it is YGNR which sounds a little dissapointing on the album.

The problem with LTA is that it sounds too repetitive, the lyrics are also very simple and could've been written by anyone let alone Scott Weiland. As with most songs off CB its Slash that pretty much saves their credibility.

And "Dont Cry"s lyrics arent simple?
Eeebs
I was kissed by Matt Sorum!!
VIP

Riot Act

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2004, 01:06:21 AM »

Well, considering the fact that Don't Cry is one of my all time favourite songs... my answer may in fact be somewhat biased. 

With that being said, my choice is definitely (duh! Smiley) and always will be... drum roll please... Don't Cry.
gnrvrrule
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2004, 12:59:44 PM »

I never used to like LTA at first, but after listening to it yesterday, I like it more and can relate to the lyrics.  That said, Don't Cry has always been one of my favorite Gn'r songs.  I would rank Don't Cry above LTA, but not by all that much.
jabba2
VIP

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2004, 06:47:06 PM »

Dont Cry is the prototypical made for MTV cheesy love ballad. That did nothing GNR's reputation, mostly because its a love song. At the time Axl wasnt showing much love for his Gf's anyway, so i dont know why they wrote this. Fake emotions-fake lyrics-made for MTV. The alternate Dont Cry is probably Axl's true feelings, so i like that version much better.

LTA is good. Definately more modern, so it probably isnt fair to compare them.
Dave_Rose
VIP

Cheese Sandwich

« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2004, 07:19:23 PM »

Don't Cry hands down but I do LTA but Guns will always be number one for me

EEEERRRR Little boy
Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2004, 11:47:16 AM »

Loving The Alien is a better song in general, I like it a lot more.

The music is very diverse and it has a nice little swing into the chorus. Great song!

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
RichardNixon
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2004, 03:48:08 PM »

Loving the alien
Dayle1066
Rocker

« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2004, 05:45:27 PM »

I dont think the last note sang by axl at the end is studio magic, he could do it to be honest, he's a preoffessional singer : ok:I gotta say damn LTA and Dont cry are so close I cant pick one no
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2004, 09:04:45 PM »

Dont Cry is the prototypical made for MTV cheesy love ballad. That did nothing GNR's reputation, mostly because its a love song. At the time Axl wasnt showing much love for his Gf's anyway, so i dont know why they wrote this. Fake emotions-fake lyrics-made for MTV. The alternate Dont Cry is probably Axl's true feelings, so i like that version much better.

Maybe they wrote it back in 1986 when that stuff was happening to them?
If you think GNR would write a song to get on MTV, you have another thing coming.

I think the Demo version of LTA is magical so it's hard to pick one but I'd have to go with Don't Cry out of pure sentimental value.
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2004, 11:22:30 PM »

where Axl holds that note forever (well let's face it a computer holds that note forever)
Um, go get some old boots. Axl holds that note just like on the album. Its not going to sound as clean or annoying as the album version, it sounds better actually live. He does the same with songs like patience, scom,ycbm and prob a few other that I cant think of right now.

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Timothy
Big T
Banned
Legend

bourgeois democracy

« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2004, 02:56:39 PM »

Loving The Alien is a great song it?s just not as good as Don?t Cry .

My pick Don?t Cry

?In China, Talk Of Democracy Is Simply That.?
Johnnyblood
VIP

Nothing.

« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2004, 06:45:44 PM »

I'll take Don't Cry, which is one of my favorites from UYI. I like Loving the Alien but it's a matter of intangible 'feel', and Don't Cry works better for me.

I've seen enough.
Layne420
Rocker

« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2004, 10:10:06 PM »

I like Loving the Alien  myself it's an awsome song. Although that opening part of  dont' cry is just great. I also like that shannon hoon is on the back up vocals. Plus the video kick ass too ok

Don't Cry

When there's no more water left
And no more air in our breath
What will this earth be worth?
Do you want war or peace?
Blood for oil greed
Won't feed, won't the hunger our need

FLOW
tomass74
Legend

« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2004, 02:34:06 AM »

He probably could but he didn't. You can here the split if you listen closely.

i think axl can hold that though, i have done it twice in my whole life and its damn near impossible, but hell axl's opening VMA scream is fuckin long as shit also, im sure he couldnt do it live but its possible that he can do that

He probably could but he didn't. You can here the split if you listen closely.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2004, 01:39:16 AM by tomass74 » Logged

Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2004, 03:37:20 PM »

Don't Cry is better than LTA...
YGNR is better than both of them..

Fuck 'Em All.
tomass74
Legend

« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2004, 02:18:35 AM »

Don't Cry is better than LTA...
YGNR is better than both of them..

I'm totally confused ..... But it's all so FUCKIN GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Slashly
Harley Davidson
VIP

-blank-

« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2004, 11:35:19 PM »

I like DC more.Concerning the long lasting Axl note, I think he did this:he recorded on track with his voice lasting as long as posible, the he recoreded another one that started when the othere voice died, and like that unitl the last time that he does this low voice that closes everything.

Baby Slash//

"But a bottle of vodka still lies in my hand some blonde gave me nughtmares, I think that you`re still in my head"
tHeElEcTrIcSiNtAr
VIP

« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2004, 01:10:24 PM »

'Don't Cry', not contest.  'Loving The Alien' sucks compared to it. Axl defiantely did hold that note at the end of 'Don't Cry' by himself without "studio magic." If you watch the Santiago, Chile '92 concert, at the end of 'Wild Horses' he does basically the same god damn thing. And for people saying the lyrics arent that great, well, it was his first god damn song, thats pretty good for a first song. You can see that he had improved just by listening to the alternate lyrics (yes I like them better.)  Scott has been writing songs for years and his lyrics still suck, anyone can write lyrics like that. Nothing Velvet Revolver has done or will do will ever touch anything GN'R has done. Slash and Duff got the bad deal here, they went from the best singer and frontman in the world to Scott Weiland.
tomass74
Legend

« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2004, 04:05:26 PM »

'Don't Cry', not contest.? 'Loving The Alien' sucks compared to it. Axl defiantely did hold that note at the end of 'Don't Cry' by himself without "studio magic." If you watch the Santiago, Chile '92 concert, at the end of 'Wild Horses' he does basically the same god damn thing. And for people saying the lyrics arent that great, well, it was his first god damn song, thats pretty good for a first song. You can see that he had improved just by listening to the alternate lyrics (yes I like them better.)? Scott has been writing songs for years and his lyrics still suck, anyone can write lyrics like that. Nothing Velvet Revolver has done or will do will ever touch anything GN'R has done. Slash and Duff got the bad deal here, they went from the best singer and frontman in the world to Scott Weiland.

Temper Temper little one...... Your opinion is fine, but LTA does not suck comopared to DC.  Axl definately uded "Studio Magic" at the end DC.  That's not saying he can't hold a note that long because I know he has... I got news for you, the 2nd DC lyrics were better than the first but they are both lame. I think Slash and Duff got a great deal and so did the fans. Instead of sticking with Axl and being stuck in the studio for over a decade, they get to play music live for us, record music and have fun. I think they and the VR fans are pretty damn happy with Weiland.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: