Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 07:00:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228528 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  axl rose eating eminems soul
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: axl rose eating eminems soul  (Read 23883 times)
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2006, 06:32:55 PM »

Eminem is very talented. You don't sell 60 million+ records in the world without talent... he was still the biggest musical phenomenon no so long ago... people have a short memory. However, I think Axl is more talented.

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
ARC
VIP

DANCE DANCE DANCE DANCE DANCE TO THE RADIO

« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2006, 06:38:43 PM »

Eminem is very talented. You don't sell 60 million+ records in the world without talent...

I think you can.

If you have the right look and a good manager, you can sell shitloads. And your music can be crap too.
marino95
Rocker

« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2006, 06:43:25 PM »

Saying Eminem is not talented because he is a rapper is just as ignorant as saying "Axl isn't talented - he doesn't sing - he just screams"

If rap doesn't take talent - then everyone in here should be able to make a hit and make millions.  Give it a shot.

Eminem is supremely talented both as an MC and as a writer.  His music has taken on a creativity and raw emotion (similar to Axl live) that only 2Pac was ever able to create.  Talent transcends genres.

6/19/91  Landover, MD
6/22/91  Hampton, VA
9/7/92  Columbia, SC
4/16/93 Chapel Hill, NC
5/28/04 VR - Wash DC (9:30 Club)
5/12/06 New York (1st show)
11/13/06 Baltimore, MD
2/23/12 Silver Spr
LaTeRaLuS
Rocker

Some say the end is near......

« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2006, 06:55:34 PM »

ok im not a fan of eminem but you people who are calling him untalented are very wrong
ARC
VIP

DANCE DANCE DANCE DANCE DANCE TO THE RADIO

« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2006, 07:33:19 PM »

I think Eminem is ok.

But when I listen to his albums I let about 3 songs play and fast-forward the other 12....
Mr Rage
Rocker

My Friends Call Me ACE!!!!!

« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2006, 07:42:10 PM »

You're right.

But I guess there is more variation in "rock" music.

I mean rock n' roll, goth, metal, grunge, indie, country, hard rock, soft rock, emo, nu metal, punk.... all come from guitars.

How much variation is there in rap...? Undecided

I don't know. I don't listen to too much rap so maybe I'm bias but everytime I hear a rap song I'm like..."I've heard this all before..."

Hip Hop, rap, Ganster rap, club bangers, street rap, poetry rap
Don't quote me on this, but this is what i was told were various different styles in hip-hop.
the one you see most common these days is bling rap or ganster rap, you know:
Girls naked shaking there arse's, money being flashed, lots of jewerly, cars etc, and the words they the same thing!
some people in hip-hop hate having this style representing the genre, like i hate the fact that coldplay are the flag wavers for british music!

A World Without BASS is.....CHAOS
icpillusions
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2006, 07:46:11 PM »

The article didn't mention the styles that each artist brought. ?Axl with his bandana and long hair wearing the jean jacket and Em with his "unique" bleached blonde hair and jumper suits.

Em isn't as talented as most people think he is.  Some of his lyrics came from some unusual places. (The HOK) heh
marino95
Rocker

« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2006, 07:46:20 PM »

You're right.

I mean rock n' roll, goth, metal, grunge, indie, country, hard rock, soft rock, emo, nu metal, punk.... all come from guitars.

I don't know. I don't listen to too much rap so maybe I'm bias but everytime I hear a rap song I'm like..."I've heard this all before..."

Don't quote me on this, but this is what i was told were various different styles in hip-hop.
Girls naked shaking there arse's, money being flashed, lots of jewerly, cars etc, and the words they the same thing!
some people in hip-hop hate having this style representing the genre, like i hate the fact that coldplay are the flag wavers for british music!

I think it's just because you don't listen to it. ?I feel the same way about country music - but I don't really listen to it. ?I think there are many, many people that wouldn't see a distinction between Metallica, Cinderella, Av7x, Bon Jovi, Tesla and Slayer. (i.e. my parents)

6/19/91  Landover, MD
6/22/91  Hampton, VA
9/7/92  Columbia, SC
4/16/93 Chapel Hill, NC
11/13/06 Baltimore, MD
2/23/12 Silver Spr
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2006, 08:19:16 PM »

Too bad Axl didnt write bad obsession or its so easy  Roll Eyes

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
BLS-Pride
Jack Daniel's drinkin'
Banned
Legend

Roses of Velvet Mother Fuckers.

« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2006, 08:20:27 PM »

You're right.

I think it's just because you don't listen to it.  I feel the same way about country music - but I don't really listen to it.  I think there are many, many people that wouldn't see a distinction between Metallica, Cinderella, Av7x, Bon Jovi, Tesla and Slayer. (i.e. my parents)

Anyone and I mean anyone can tell the difference between Slayer and any of those bands.

www.rosesofvelvet.com
[BLS-Pride] 10:16 pm: ron - lemmy is god.. agreed?
[Bumblefoot] 10:16 pm: Lemmy created God.
eNgIeS
Rocker

OHHHH RIGGGHHHTT

« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2006, 07:40:59 AM »

He's not saying he won't be remembered, he's saying you won't hear his songs much - which is true.

Rap is a fad that has gone on WAYYY too long. How throwing lyrics, if you can call them that, on top of a sampled drum-beat has lasted twenty years I cannot understand.

If the black youth of America started to make something different, I'd be impressed. But it's the same, always the same. Same beats, same angry voices, same music videos, same clothes, same attitudes, same song narratives etc etc...

Where is the independent thought...?! I can't tell two modern rap songs apart....

Rap needs to change the record. Or just go away. Thats my 2c.

Wow.

I'm not the biggest fan of rap, I have to admit. So I can't comment much on that genre.

But if you take the word "rap" and substitute the word "rock"...and substitute black with white..and substitute beats with chords or riffs.....

You'd have just written an article from the early '90's on the state of rock and roll.

It's eery.

You're right.

How much variation is there in rap...?  Undecided

Quite a bit. Theres periods of certain sounds being popular, such as in 1992-1995 when Dr. Dre, Snoop Doggy Dogg, Tha Dogg Pound & Warren G were dominating with the "G-Funk" sound on the charts, or I guess Dr. Dre Snoop Dogg & Eminem's "2001" sound. But i guess in general u got gangsta rap, which tends to come from the west coast, talkin about gang bangin i guess, then you got poetic rap, where its just like poetry but rap, you got i guess what you could call battle rhyme rap (think the free styles in 8 mile), you got your dirty south rap, i guess theres many sub divisions & cultures that destinguish one rapper or producers musical/lyrical style from anohters
eNgIeS
Rocker

OHHHH RIGGGHHHTT

« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2006, 07:47:30 AM »

Good article. I guess the main difference between the two artists is that Axl is a genius and Eminem, well, sucks big fat moose cock.

rofl rofl

Serious note: Does anybody think people will be listening to the "Real Slim Shady" 20 years from now? I doubt it, but I do think people will still reminicese about 'Sweet Child O' Mine' and "November Rain.'

COuldn't agree more....most "classic rap" is often perceived as a joke or it just sounds REALLY out dated.  However, classic rock is just legendary and STILL inspires new artists.   I guess there are exceptions to the rule, maybe old public enemy or beastie boys still gets a listen, but I think its more in a nostalgic way, not in a "man, I really dig "fight the power".

I think eminem legacy will be his outrageous behavior and shock value, not necessarily his songs. 

lol

I cant speak for the entire world, but a majority of ppl i hang with still listen to old school rap & love it way more than todays watered down commericial rap. From N.W.A. Eazy E Ice Cube Nas's early shit Snoops early shit 2Pac's original music Notorious B.I.G. Bone Thugs Mobb Deep. They all spinning in our decks more than the new stuff. So yeah, what your saying is wrong its the opinion of yourself, not neccessarily others. I think ive seen & talked to enuff ppl to conclude theres alot more old school rap fans out there than you think
eNgIeS
Rocker

OHHHH RIGGGHHHTT

« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2006, 07:49:36 AM »

but Axl has talent and eminem doesnt.  they both have the same rage but who cares... eminem is just a rapper.

Axl vents his anger with a huge amount of talent.  He also has other sides to him in his music besides anger.

That's ridiculous.  Just a "rapper"... so why don't you snap your fingers and start rapping?  If you don't need talent, then we should all be able to do it?  Also, how is all of Eminem's music "angry"?  He writes emotional songs, as well as joke songs.  In fact, the majority of his last CD wasn't angry at all.  You may prefer Axl to Eminem, but that doesn't mean he isn't talented.  Apparently Axl has taken over producing duties for Chinese Democracy.... Eminem picked up on producing a lot faster than old Axl.  That's a talent in itself.

Serious note: Does anybody think people will be listening to the "Real Slim Shady" 20 years from now? I doubt it, but I do think people will still reminicese about 'Sweet Child O' Mine' and "November Rain.'

WTF are you talking about?  You're saying Eminem won't be remembered?  He's one of, if not the, biggest rap artist ever.  An Elvis-like figure.  Maybe "The Real Slim Shady" won't be played years from now (even though his VMA performance of the song is one of the most remembered in the history of the show).... but how about "Lose Yourself"??  You don't think people will remember an Academy Award winning soundtrack song?  A soundtrack song from Eminem's #1 movie off of his #1 Soundtrack from the same year as his #1 Solo album which included a handful of other huge hits?

Rap music is the dominant genre for this generation, and you're saying that people won't remember it's biggest artist.  If that makes you feel more confident that "Rap music is crap music".... then continue saying absurd stuff like this.  I'm not a fan of Celine Dion's music, but I don't doubt that she has made a stamp, and that she has talent.

sky, i hate to tell you this, but you are completely and totally wrong. the talent level of eminem can not even be compared to that of axl rose. rap music is nothing but a bunch of recycled loops and beats from other songs along with rhymed lyrics. and lets be serious for a moment, eminem isnt exactly writing his music in iambic pentameter. anybody who's anybody can download a program, create a beat, and put lyrics over it. what takes talent is creating an actual, authentic song. eminem is good at what he does, but it should not be overappreciated. to praise eminem and put him on the same pedastel with an axl rose or a freddy mercury or a john lennon is a sin.

Again, if all you have to do is download a music program, recycle a beat, and throw some lyrics on it... why don't you go out and do it?

How is Lose Yourself not an "actual, authentic song"?  It has a piano, guitar, and drum track and it has lyrics that tell a story.  It was a crossover hit (Fuck, I only ever hear the song on my local 'Edge' station... an all rock format, jumping from Nirvana to Eminem).  So why is a song like that not authentic?

Eminem is a sought-after producer and he also runs his own record label... on top of being the most popular rap artist in the world.  You're saying that you can pull all of that off without being talented?  no

BTW, I'm sure some people would say putting Axl Rose on the same pedastel as John Lennon is a sin...

Booker Floyd link=topic=14314.msg250667#msg250667 date=1092023310]
Eminem is NOT an Elivs like figure. not even close.

Sure he is - a phenomenally successful musician doing "black" music for a white audience.

Eminem is a gifted writer and rapper no doubt, but he was also, in many ways, preselected, premarketed, and prepackaged by Dr. Dre and alot of record execs.

Really?  How so?  Because half of Eminems breakthrough major-label debut was actually the independent EP that Dr. Dre heard before signing him...So please inform me as to what was pre-packaged...

Yes, it was marketed.  Just like every other record ever made.

Elvis started a culture change- he combined styles of music: gospel, country, and 'black' music like r& B and sold it to a 'white' culture, paving the way for great social change. Eminem has done none of those things...

Like it or not, he has.  Theres a million young white kids who dont listen to rap music (and probably dont even interact with black people in real life) that worship Eminem.  His impact is enormous. 

rap music ( from Run DMC to NWA to Public Enemy) was pouring into the 'white'  suburbs long before he came along.

And Eminem has made it even bigger by appealing heavily to those young white kids (most of whom probably dont recognize the Beastie Boys as hip-hop artists or know who Run DMC is).  None of those acts sold 1.7 million copies in 1 week.  In fact, no other solo artist, in any genre, has done that.  You simply cant downplay that kind of popularity. 

As for why Axl Rose and Guns N Roses will be more rembered than Eminem: I will not be one to say GNR were original in any musical sense, they certainly brought many influences to the table that are very easily distinguished, nor did they change the culture of America in any siginficant way (I don't think)...But they certainly didnt have the promotional machine Eminem enjoyed

Huh

...they were passed up by nearly every label that came close to signing them, they played crowds of 10 people...

You dont know much about Eminem pre-Aftermath, do you?  Its fine if you dont, but dont speak like you do when youre so blatantly wrong.

and suddenly they were the hugest band in the world---everywhere from the USA to Japan to Israel to Lebanon to Brazil...all in a scant period of time.

Same with Eminem.

Their music, now most of it over 10 years old, has raido cross over appeal- still played on modern rock, classic rock, and (occasionally) top-40 ish radio formats.

I dont listen to top 40 radio, so maybe you can tell me what youre talking about there...

Speaking of cross-over appeal, be sure to look out for Eminems next single on your top 40 station...and modern rock station...and rap station...and alternative station, just like "Lose Yourself" was.

And as the Spin article implies: the Eminem story really is just a fainter retelling of the Axl Rose story, and people will always remember the original more than the imitation  Cool

If you believe that, fine...but youre only fooling yourself.  As an Axl Rose fan, you can keep telling yourself a million reasons why Axls better/more important/etc., but just take a look around you.  Read the Rolling Stone cover stories dedicated to building the Eminem legend, hailing him as a genius.  Check out the charts - youll not see that he himself sold 21 million records in 5 years, but has shot his other projects to #1, platinum status (8 Mile, D12s albums, 50 Cent/G-Unit/etc.).  Hes starred in a blockbuster movie about his own life, etc., etc., etc.  The point is clear.

And Im not even a big Eminem fan.  I think hes a great rapper, but a lot of his music doesnt appeal to me.  However there denying his popularity, impact and importance in pop music.

Sorry, i agree with all these, i love it when ppl get totally owned for speaking on things they dont know anything about
lennonisgod
VIP

TWAT

« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2006, 08:14:17 AM »

Of course Eminem doesn't compare to Axl.  NO SHIT!!!  I don't like Eminem but you can't deny how great of a rapper he is.  It takes a lot of talent to do what he does.  To say "all you have to do is make a beat and throw lyrics over it" is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard in my life.  Come on now, you may not like the guy but yes "It is very ignorant to deny his talent."  Grow up some of you.

Social class and registers, Cocaine in the hall, All the way from California...
marino95
Rocker

« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2006, 10:18:15 AM »

Good article. I guess the main difference between the two artists is that Axl is a genius and Eminem, well, sucks big fat moose cock.

rofl rofl

COuldn't agree more....most "classic rap" is often perceived as a joke or it just sounds REALLY out dated.? However, classic rock is just legendary and STILL inspires new artists.? ?I guess there are exceptions to the rule, maybe old public enemy or beastie boys still gets a listen, but I think its more in a nostalgic way, not in a "man, I really dig "fight the power".

I think eminem legacy will be his outrageous behavior and shock value, not necessarily his songs.?

lol

I cant speak for the entire world, but a majority of ppl i hang with still listen to old school rap & love it way more than todays watered down commericial rap. From N.W.A. Eazy E Ice Cube Nas's early shit Snoops early shit 2Pac's original music Notorious B.I.G. Bone Thugs Mobb Deep. They all spinning in our decks more than the new stuff. So yeah, what your saying is wrong its the opinion of yourself, not neccessarily others. I think ive seen & talked to enuff ppl to conclude theres alot more old school rap fans out there than you think

The comment about classic rap sounding outdated is crazy......  you still hear people pumping Run DMC, Eric B & Rakim and Public Enemy from time to time.  Not to mention all the Dre/Snoop/2Pac stuff that is now 15 years old.  (Good lord I'm getting old)  That music has certainly held up more than Bon Jovi and Motley Crue. Smiley 

6/19/91  Landover, MD
6/22/91  Hampton, VA
9/7/92  Columbia, SC
4/16/93 Chapel Hill, NC
11/13/06 Baltimore, MD
2/23/12 Silver Spr
NicoRourke
On board
Legend

Not sorry.

« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2006, 11:11:18 AM »

Okay, so they have some points in common. But Axl is, to my opinion, more than just all about anger, homophobia, racism or bitch slapping.

Sure, this is part of his personality, but there's much more than that.

Eminem, in four albums, is always saying the same : his mother that was a bitch with him bla bla, his wife he wants to kill bla bla bla, his baby child he loves more than anything and nobody will do her harm or he'll get mad bla bla bla, bitches, faggets, etc etc etc. Always the same shit.

Axl on the other hand has written about plenty of things.

You know where to put your 'just shut up and sing'.

Long live GN'R.
marino95
Rocker

« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2006, 11:15:05 AM »

Okay, so they have some points in common. But Axl is, to my opinion, more than just all about anger, homophobia, racism or bitch slapping.

Sure, this is part of his personality, but there's much more than that.

Eminem, in four albums, is always saying the same : his mother that was a bitch with him bla bla, his wife he wants to kill bla bla bla, his baby child he loves more than anything and nobody will do her harm or he'll get mad bla bla bla, bitches, faggets, etc etc etc. Always the same shit.

Axl on the other hand has written about plenty of things.

Uh.... Axl hasn't written about much since 1991.  All we have is about 6-7 leaked songs in 15 years.  As much as I love Axl, I wouldn't exactly brag about the breadth of his body of work.  Hopefully, that will change very soon when he releases some of the 28-30 songs he's supposedly recorded.

6/19/91  Landover, MD
6/22/91  Hampton, VA
9/7/92  Columbia, SC
4/16/93 Chapel Hill, NC
11/13/06 Baltimore, MD
2/23/12 Silver Spr
wells
VIP

!!

« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2006, 11:18:49 AM »

just a bit off topic... I always thought Marilyn Manson = Axl Rose... for many reasons (ie. appearing on the scene/disaapearing from the scene)   Wink
Mr Rage
Rocker

My Friends Call Me ACE!!!!!

« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2006, 07:50:36 PM »

maybe in his latter albums he was repeating himself, but out of his carrer your left with the masterpiece!
The Marshall Mathers LP, I've seen numerous "the best albums of all time" listings and eminem has the only hip-hop album on nearly every list i read, to be respected in your own genre is one thing, but to be respected by nearly all music genres, that says something about him!? peace
« Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 08:09:27 PM by Mr Rage » Logged

A World Without BASS is.....CHAOS
RichardNixon
« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2006, 08:07:11 PM »

Has Eminem ever said anything about Axl?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: