Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 10:25:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228530 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  The Greatest Hits reviews thread (Post album reviews here)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Greatest Hits reviews thread (Post album reviews here)  (Read 17639 times)
shay147
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« on: March 09, 2004, 04:07:01 PM »

Edit: Please post Greatest Hits album reviews from other sites, newspapers etc. in this thread.

The general discusssions are in the thread.

HMV.co.uk GH Review

The hair metal behemoths have had their legend sullied by constant line-up changes (Buckethead, I ask you!), accusations of homophobia and a perpetually delayed new album (Chinese Democracy). Just the right time then to remind the world what a great band they once were.

This ?Greatest Hits? package includes everything you?ll ever need to hear from the mighty L.A. band. Taking tracks from all their albums (including the much-maligned ?Spaghetti Incident?) this is a pant-wettingly great retrospective. ?Welcome To The Jungle? kicks things off with a riff that could destroy buildings and Axl?s screeching, majestic vocal. Next up is ?Sweet Child O?Mine?, probably the group?s finest song it towers proudly over everything else on show here. Elsewhere we get memorable re-interpretations: ?Knockin? On Heaven?s Door?, ?Live and Let Die?, ?Sympathy For The Devil?; classic ballads like ?November Rain? and full on cock-rock bluster ?Paradise City?.

No matter what happens next on the whirlwind Gunners roadshow nothing can detract from the magnitude of the oeuvre so far. ?Greatest Hits? reiterates just why they were once the biggest band in the world. We can only pray that they can regain that kind of form again.

?Guns?n?Roses were, for a brief time, a real rock band, a scary rock band, a great rock band? Stylus

Edit: Made this the Greatest Hits review thread. /jarmo
« Last Edit: March 09, 2004, 05:35:17 PM by jarmo » Logged
SLCPUNK
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2004, 04:55:13 PM »

haha, well at least it wasn't THAT negative. Roll Eyes
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2004, 07:57:17 PM »

[quoteThis ?Greatest Hits? package includes everything you?ll ever need to hear from the mighty L.A. band]

what a fucking crock of bullshit

i dont want new kids hearing sympathy for the devil and mostimportantly aint it fun and think thats the best gnr have to offer

what a piece of shit tracklisting

no rocket queen? no nightrain? no estranged?

fuck that!

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
SLCPUNK
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2004, 09:46:07 PM »

[quoteThis ?Greatest Hits? package includes everything you?ll ever need to hear from the mighty L.A. band]

what a fucking crock of bullshit

i dont want new kids hearing sympathy for the devil and mostimportantly aint it fun and think thats the best gnr have to offer

what a piece of shit tracklisting

no rocket queen? no nightrain? no estranged?

fuck that!

Agreed. But we knew it was coming.....
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2004, 11:42:02 PM »

WTF? Ain't It Fun is a great song. Slash kick ass in this track! Ok, it's not the best gnr but, near Since I Don't Have You, it's an awesome cover.
At least, if someone buy this shit and want to know more about the band, they will know there's a lot of cool songs to discover..  Wink

Guns N Ballz
Rocker

Proud Member of the Butch Walker Mafia!

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2004, 11:58:12 PM »

Just think of it as a way to bait new fans. The hope is that this GH will influence new buyers to pick up the other albums. Thats what I would figure. And if nothing else it will kind of put the GNR name back out there again.

And has anybody noticed that its like once every couple of years we are reminded of GNR? Like some thing will happen thats kind of big and then nothing but silence.  nervous
Kiki
The Clog Lady
Legend

And for the finishing touch, God created the Dutch

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2004, 01:12:02 AM »

Try to stay on topic please, this thread is only for GH reviews/adds.
Discussions here http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=10299 please thank you  Smiley

Unless your a hemmerhoid, get off my ass!
Toast960
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2004, 09:38:33 AM »

Well greatest hits cds are hardly ever that great. They're only good enough to get people to buy the full albums, where the discover the real greatest hits. I bet a month or so after casual fans pick up this there will be a rise in sales of "Appetite For Destruction" and people will see how great the band really is.

I love this job more than I love taffy. And I'm a man who loves his taffy

-Mayor Adam West
madagas
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2004, 09:45:29 AM »

I was listening to Soundgarden's greatest hits "A-Sides" the other day. It shits all over Gnr's. No bullshit like Don't Cry or Since I Don't Have You and certainly not 5 fuckin cover songs. This album is a VERY poor representation of Gnr.  Embarrassed
Mattman
Sk8er boi
VIP

It's better to burn out than to fade away...

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2004, 11:32:02 PM »

From Mac UK:

Well you can hardly blame the record company can you? And if they don't get there finger out you can expect to see a b-sides and rarities compilation and another best of featuring "Estranged".

New generations of children are now at high schools and acquiring their own personal music taste, when they have had a fill of skateboards and Limp Bizkit they will look to history for new inspiration and probably discover the Beatles and the Stones, Dylan and Hendrix.

If they should stumble across Guns 'N' Roses, they too should be blown away by "Sweet Child O Mine" and "November Rain". Old fans must continue that painful wait but the new ones are in for a real treat. 9/10
axls#2
Fire, fire, fire
VIP

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2004, 03:13:23 AM »

over at amazon they have the greatest hits listed as out of stock. hopefully this will sell well, but would that make CD come out any faster?

What Goes around comes around!
hninzipan
Opening Act

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2004, 12:06:28 PM »

from Kerrang

KKK

The problem is the title greatest hits. Cliched, flabby, redundant and obvious. A compilation album which rests on one assumption that the greatest hits of GNR are the songs that most deserved to be compiled and reappraised. And really they are not.

Well some of them are. The mangled visciousness of Paradise City wrapped in gloriously melody is still five minutes of ubversive brilliance. You Could be Mine is all spit n snarl the sound of a band teetering on the edge of total inssanity. Elsewhere not much. November rain has some nice huitar parts. Sweet Child O mine is just rubbish. But really thats not the poinnt. The point is that the songs that are missing the songs that the title ensures are missing. Coma is the best tune the band ever wrote and it is not here. Its so easy the dirtiest song the band ever wrote isnt here. Neither is 14 years, shotgun blues or Rocket queen. Neither are so many songs that told you what Guns N Roses really were.

Because what they were and what they wont be again was the most exciting, sexual,radiculous,unpleasant,unpreditable, misunderstood, repellent ,misconceived and undenialble band of their type. And you wont really know it from this.

best track : paradise city, you could be mine
hninzipan
Opening Act

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2004, 12:09:42 PM »

pretty much agree with the kerrang review ( well except fot the part which call SCOM rubbish )

fan favourites are missing....rocket queen, it s so easy, one in a million , estranged, coma ....if i remember correctly of the survivor winners from HTGH only WTTJ is on there
Suskind
Axl's bitch
Headliner

And he will rise tall among these shadows once again...

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2004, 12:20:14 PM »

It seriously pisses me off how they diss Axl all the time and then bullshit that GNR werent as good as they use to say they were.

rant

I cant stand the media

Live like a suicide?
madagas
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2004, 12:21:41 PM »

It should have been titled The Singles Collection because that is what it is. That way, they could have saved a true greatest hits or "The Essential Guns N' Roses" for a later release.  Roll Eyes
Cornell
Nice to you
Legend

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2004, 03:36:24 PM »

Well, we all know how Axl feels about Kerrang.  Tongue

Why don't you just....
duga
VIP

If you're not a rock star - at least act like one

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2004, 03:39:23 PM »

Well, we all know how Axl feels about Kerrang.  Tongue

I wonder if they miss Get in the ring?  Grin

Stockholm 2006, Oslo 2010, Maryland 2016, Stockholm 2017, Gothenburg 2018

Power to the people, peace out and blame Canada
shaun
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2004, 05:12:58 PM »

NO NIGHTRAIN?  rant
badapple81
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2004, 05:22:34 PM »

from Kerrang

KKK

The problem is the title greatest hits. Cliched, flabby, redundant and obvious. A compilation album which rests on one assumption that the greatest hits of GNR are the songs that most deserved to be compiled and reappraised. And really they are not.

Well some of them are. The mangled visciousness of Paradise City wrapped in gloriously melody is still five minutes of ubversive brilliance. You Could be Mine is all spit n snarl the sound of a band teetering on the edge of total inssanity. Elsewhere not much. November rain has some nice huitar parts. Sweet Child O mine is just rubbish. But really thats not the poinnt. The point is that the songs that are missing the songs that the title ensures are missing. Coma is the best tune the band ever wrote and it is not here. Its so easy the dirtiest song the band ever wrote isnt here. Neither is 14 years, shotgun blues or Rocket queen. Neither are so many songs that told you what Guns N Roses really were.

Because what they were and what they wont be again was the most exciting, sexual,radiculous,unpleasant,unpreditable, misunderstood, repellent ,misconceived and undenialble band of their type. And you wont really know it from this.

best track : paradise city, you could be mine

AGREED!

November Rain has SOME NICE GUITAR BITS?
Sweet Child O' Mine is just rubbish?
KERRANG CAN SUCK MY DICK!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2004, 05:26:06 PM by GunnerDownUnder » Logged
Captain P?l
Manneken Pis
Legend

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2004, 06:20:20 PM »

Guns N?Roses utgir plate i 2004, men det blir ikke det lenge bebudede studioalbumet "Chinese Democracy".

Publisert 17.02.2004 11:15.
Av J?rn Gjers?e, nrk.no/musikk.

De amerikanske rockerne har ikke gitt ut noen plate siden "The Spaghetti Incident" i 1993, melder NME.

Gj?r en Stones
Siden har vokalist Axl Rose kvittet seg med resten av bandet, men beholdt rettighetene til bandnavnet. Han har jobbet med "Chinese Democracy" i flere ?r n?.

Den platen kommer heller ikke i 2004, derimot kommer en greatest hits-samling fra bandet.

Platen inneholder 14 spor, inkludert Guns N?Roses? versjon av Rolling Stones-klassikeren "Sympathy for the Devil".

---------------------------------------------------------------

its no actual review.. but it says we have 14 tracks incl cover of SFTD...
the "interesting" thing there is they say that chinese democracy isnt coming this year! damn...

Cant Get Enough Of That Wonderfull Duff
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: