Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 02:14:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228530 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Google search?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Google search?  (Read 23608 times)
SINSHINE
VIP

"I knew the storm was getting closer!"

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2004, 09:19:07 AM »

Yeah...that is pretty cool. Wonder if November is indeed the plan or if (as GunnerDownUnder offered) perhaps it's the record company's slick way of adding more pressure on Axl. I'd like to believe the first line of reasoning, but as long as the album is released I don't care how it gets done at this point.

"You could have a steam train...if you'd just lay down your tracks!" - P. Gabriel
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2004, 09:37:49 AM »

My site's desription is taken from the META tags.

Don't know about Gnronline though.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Dave_Rose
VIP

Cheese Sandwich

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2004, 09:43:01 AM »

I'm starting to believe this now!!!

EEEERRRR Little boy
coondogg
Rocker

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2004, 09:51:15 AM »

I wonder if this means the damn site will finally be updated. Could this be the positive news that we heard about from the GNR rumorboard?
Nicos
Rocker

Locomotive (Complicity)

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2004, 09:55:52 AM »

I can not help finding this really really interesting...

Bests,

N ! 3 |(

C0ma
Legend

« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2004, 10:07:53 AM »

Other search engines pull up different descriptions, so that makes me think that interscope either added the description to their google profile, or an overvelous google employee to some creative license with that site.

MSN Search talks about their upcomming plans to play the Hard Rock on New Years Eve.

Lycos talks about the privacy policy and the search of tour dates.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2004, 10:09:29 AM by C0ma » Logged
Will
An American in Paris
Legend

State of love and trust

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2004, 10:12:28 AM »

I wonder what Sanctuary "Deny Everything" Management has to say about this...? Could it be another faction of the media? Grin Just teasing! Wink

In any case, that backs up my theory, which is: Geffen/Interscope want to push that release, even if they have to force the band to do so. Why would they say on a Google search that the new album is due in Nov. 2004, if it's not true, or if the management is not ok with that? Hmmm...They may very well be trying to use the "trap" strategy: saying everywhere the album is due in Nov. 2004 (VH1, CNN, Google -- more to come?) so that the band has basically no choice: whether they agree or not, the album will be released. That might be part of their contract. Geffen must have some legal advantage in order to do that. We'll see...
« Last Edit: July 20, 2004, 10:14:29 AM by Will » Logged

loretian
VIP

It would take a lot more time than you...

« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2004, 10:24:55 AM »

I spoke with my company's SEO person (the person who handles submissions into website search engines) and she said the text must come from the website, there's no way they can enter the text that shows up.  She thought the text must have been there in the past, but I said that was impossible.

She's trying to figure out how it could have happened, and I've e-mailed Google to see what they say.

If I start to break down, it's from the love that I've found
a.k.a. Dovey
VIP

Does the walker choose the path?

« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2004, 10:25:43 AM »

FUCK IT IM GETTING REALLY EXCITED NOW!!
ITS BETTER THAN HEARING NOTHING OR JUST HEARSAY AND NEGATIVE BOLLOCKS. I SAY CHINESE DEMOCRACY IS GETTING VERY CLOSE NOW. LOOK OUT FOR AN ANNOUNCEMENT ON THE 4TH AUGUST. NOTHING TO THIS OTHER THAN ITS MY 28TH BIRTHDAY AND SOMETHING ALWAYS SEEMS TO HAPPEN ON MY BIRTHDAY EVERY YEAR!!

Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2004, 10:29:47 AM »

I remember I saw something like that in other thread here about another search engine. So, I guess it's not only the Google people who predicted the november release date.

loretian
VIP

« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2004, 10:30:49 AM »

I spoke with my company's SEO person (the person who handles submissions into website search engines) and she said the text must come from the website, there's no way they can enter the text that shows up.  She thought the text must have been there in the past, but I said that was impossible.

She's trying to figure out how it could have happened, and I've e-mailed Google to see what they say.

OK, well, she came up with a conclusion which isn't so good.  This might not be the case, but it makes sense.

Google tries to come up with the description based on content from the website.  But, there's no content on the website, so it finds the description from other websites.   If you search for the exact content of the description, with quotes around it, two other sites come up with this description - right after the gnronline.com website.  She said she saw this happen with another website we did, which had almost content for a couple of years, and and pretty soon the google description was pulled from other sites that linked to it.

Anyway, who knows for sure, hopefully google will respond to my question and let me know.

Will
An American in Paris
Legend

State of love and trust

« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2004, 10:42:26 AM »

If you search for the exact content of the description, with quotes around it, two other sites come up with this description - right after the gnronline.com website.

I don't know, I tried what you said and I got two sites indeed...but to me it seemed like those two web sites took their description from gnronline. You could be right though...and that would mean we're back to square one! no

loretian
VIP

« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2004, 10:47:19 AM »

I don't know, I tried what you said and I got two sites indeed...but to me it seemed like those two web sites took their description from gnronline. You could be right though...and that would mean we're back to square one! no

That's what I thought too, but my coworker said there was no way they could force a description for the website, so there's no other way the text could have gotten there.  Of course, whether or not Google employees update descriptions if their friends ask is another question.  It does seem odd that the two other sites would have the exact same text, unless one of them it got it from the other.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2004, 10:47:55 AM by loretian » Logged

Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2004, 10:50:54 AM »

OK, well, she came up with a conclusion which isn't so good.  This might not be the case, but it makes sense.

Google tries to come up with the description based on content from the website.  But, there's no content on the website, so it finds the description from other websites.   If you search for the exact content of the description, with quotes around it, two other sites come up with this description - right after the gnronline.com website.  She said she saw this happen with another website we did, which had almost content for a couple of years, and and pretty soon the google description was pulled from other sites that linked to it.

Anyway, who knows for sure, hopefully google will respond to my question and let me know.

This is the results I got from the search:

"news, tour dates and information on Chinese Democracy due November 2004"

Guns N' Roses Pics, Pictures, Photos, Photo Gallery, Picture, Pic - [ Traduzca esta p?gina ]
... available. Official Guns N' Roses site - Includes news, tour dates and
information on Chinese Democracy due November 2004. Here Today... ...
www.321celebs.com/guns_n_roses_pics.html - 15k - 18 Jul 2004 - En cach? - P?ginas similares

DWKC.com Music Directory - [ Traduzca esta p?gina ]
... Official Guns N' Roses site - Includes news, tour dates and information
on Chinese Democracy due November 2004
. ? PopMatters ...
dwkc.com/directory/Top/Arts/ Music/Bands_and_Artists/G/Guns_N'_Roses/ - 61k - En cach? - P?ginas similares

loretian
VIP

« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2004, 10:56:11 AM »

Yep, those are the two sites.  I'm as excited as anyone about this being "the beginning", but I think my coworker might be right.

Google doesn't allow you to update your own description, and they pride themselves on offering non-biased results.  The first result for searching for the word "jew" was an anti-semetic site, and they included an apology for that result, but would not change the results because they didn't want to affect the search results anyway.   I don't know whether this same stance would fall over to something like a website description, but it seems likely.

If they can't enter their own description, then the text had to come from somewhere.  Both of those sites listed are directory sites, so if one of them entered that text, the other one could have just stolen the listings and used the same text.  Two sites having the exact same description after the name "gnronline.com" would be enough for google to use that as it's official description, if there was no real content on the website.

But again, I really don't know.   peace  I'm hoping for the best.

Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2004, 11:02:49 AM »

Ok, this is the other thread about the same description: http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=13447
The site is dmoz.org and it shows the exact same quote: http://dmoz.org/Arts/Music/Bands_and_Artists/G/Guns_N%27_Roses/

Official Guns N' Roses site - Includes news, tour dates and information on Chinese Democracy due November 2004.

This was posted here in June 26. It was before BTM?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2004, 11:08:22 AM by Voodoochild » Logged

Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2004, 11:02:59 AM »

loretian is right i think.
and the /index.html file doesnt have any meta-tags.

it just how google works, and it seems that everything is pushing Axl to a november release, lol, google, vh1, his mom, elements, saint seiya knights, everybody.

if we start puting this sentence :

Chinese Democracy due November 2004

everywhere on our websites, it will grow, grow, grow until axl recieve a spam with that phrase in it Smiley

Shocked

Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2004, 11:26:12 AM »

Because the official site doesn't have it's own description, it is defaulting to the description in the Google directory  ok

Although the information may turn out to be correct, no official date has yet been set (as you have probably guessed).... so please regard this information with your usual caution

Please note that this situation is being dealt with so please do not go bothering management or Google about this

And most importantly, be excellent to each other  peace
Will
An American in Paris
Legend

State of love and trust

« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2004, 11:31:33 AM »

This was posted here in June 26. It was before BTM?

Yes, BTM was aired early July.

We always look at the management, but does anyone have any link/contact with Geffen? That would be interesting to get info from there.

Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2004, 11:33:10 AM »

Because the official site doesn't have it's own description, it is defaulting to the description in the Google directory  ok

Although the information may turn out to be correct, no official date has yet been set (as you have probably guessed).... so please regard this information with your usual caution

Please note that this situation is being dealt with so please do not go bothering management or Google about this

And most importantly, be excellent to each other  peace
Maybe november is a target, but nobody set the day yet.
BTW, you speak like Axl "be nice to each other"..  hihi

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: