Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 10:23:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228530 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Small GN'R mention on FT.com
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Small GN'R mention on FT.com  (Read 3231 times)
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« on: July 29, 2004, 01:59:02 PM »

GN'R was mentioned in an article about Universal Music Group's positive sales growth for the first time since 2001.

--

Vivendi's best-selling albums included a greatest hits compilation from Guns'n'Roses, new releases from D12 and Kanye West.

---

Full article: Vivendi music unit returns to positive growth

Source(s): http://www.ft.com

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Pandora
Collector extraordinaire
Legend

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2004, 02:20:30 PM »

One more proof that when the music is good, it sells despite what they say about Internet piracy.

Got my attitude and my shiny shoes.....
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2004, 02:27:45 PM »

One more proof that when the music is good, it sells despite what they say about Internet piracy.

Perhaps but without internet pircacy maybe it would have sold 10 times the amount?

Just in a philosophical mood.....

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Pandora
Collector extraordinaire
Legend

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2004, 03:15:51 PM »

Perhaps but without internet pircacy maybe it would have sold 10 times the amount?

10 times? No I don't believe a Greatest Hits album can sell that much  Undecided
But maybe it would have sold a bit more  Wink

SuicideUZI
Headliner

Kill Your Idols

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2004, 04:22:14 PM »

10 times? No I don't believe a Greatest Hits album can sell that much? Undecided
But maybe it would have sold a bit more? Wink

the best selling album of all time is a greatest hits album, and a lot of bands greatest hits albums sell better then their regular albums. . .but I still am on the side that downloading doesnt have as negative effect as they claim
« Last Edit: July 29, 2004, 04:23:55 PM by SuicideUZI » Logged

now the damge is done
and we're back out on the run
funny how everything was roses
when we held onto the guns
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2004, 04:28:14 PM »

10 times? No I don't believe a Greatest Hits album can sell that much? Undecided
But maybe it would have sold a bit more? Wink

the best selling album of all time is a greatest hits album, and a lot of bands greatest hits albums sell better then their regular albums

That's true but GnR only have three real albums, plus the two-EPs-in one and the covers album, and they've sold many millions of copies already, meaning that most people who are interested in GnR already have their old albums and don't want a Greatest Hits.? The people buying GH are either diehards who wanted the remastered copies of the songs, or casual fans who just want the popular songs.? In general the times when GH albums sell a ton of copies is when the band has been around for a long time, done fairly well, then they have a breakout album that propells them higher in popularity than they've ever been.  In GnR's case, their first album was their highest selling album, thus most of the fans have been there from the beginning and don't need a greatest hits.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2004, 04:31:52 PM by ShotgunBlues1978 » Logged
Pandora
Collector extraordinaire
Legend

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2004, 06:26:20 PM »

the best selling album of all time is a greatest hits album,

I thought 'Thriller' was the best-selling album of all time  Huh

KeVoRkIaN
VIP

Resident Doctor

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2004, 06:30:11 PM »

The Eagles GH is #1
Thriller is #2

NEW MEMBERS: CLICK ON THIS PAGE! http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php

Starts Now is An Understatement!!!!!!
axls#2
Fire, fire, fire
VIP

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2004, 06:49:03 PM »

yeah the earlier poster had it right. Other bands greatest hits sell better because they have a much larger catalog to draw upon, and it's easier for people to buy the greatest hits than go out and buy a bunch of cd's.

What Goes around comes around!
estranged.1098
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2004, 06:49:56 PM »

Perhaps you should read http://www.thedepaulia.com/story.asp?artid=397&sectid=3.

ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2004, 08:24:08 PM »

Thriller is the #1 album in worldwide sales, the Eagles album is #1 in the US
SuicideUZI
Headliner

Kill Your Idols

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2004, 01:24:27 AM »

That's true but GnR only have three real albums, plus the two-EPs-in one and the covers album, and they've sold many millions of copies already, meaning that most people who are interested in GnR already have their old albums and don't want a Greatest Hits.? The people buying GH are either diehards who wanted the remastered copies of the songs, or casual fans who just want the popular songs.? In general the times when GH albums sell a ton of copies is when the band has been around for a long time, done fairly well, then they have a breakout album that propells them higher in popularity than they've ever been.? In GnR's case, their first album was their highest selling album, thus most of the fans have been there from the beginning and don't need a greatest hits.

well I can agree with you on this specific GH album, but i was more referring to the quote "No I don't believe a Greatest Hits album can sell that much" that in general GH albums do tend to sell a lot

now the damge is done
and we're back out on the run
funny how everything was roses
when we held onto the guns
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: