Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 09:25:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  WHAT WILL YOU GUYS DO WHEN...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: WHAT WILL YOU GUYS DO WHEN...  (Read 17334 times)
Thorazine Shuffle
East coast struttin
Legend

God hates a coward sonny.

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2004, 01:15:29 PM »

I could care less how it sells.  The best music out today are by the bands who hardly sell any records.  Listen to the landscape of music out today.  Nothing but little pretty-boys with minimal talent wasting valuable air-space.  And tone-deaf kids that like one-hit wonders like Frans-Ferdinand.  It's Fuckin 1981 all over again.  Quit being so fuckin cynical and enjoy the music not if GNR will sell.  They will make their money.  And we'll get what we want, REAL MUSIC
« Last Edit: July 23, 2004, 01:17:08 PM by Magnifico » Logged

Mr Cowbell ?
Legend

HTGTH Powerslam Champion / Former WWE Game Champ

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2004, 01:30:07 PM »

Fuck it it doesnt even go gold it doesnt mean its a flop. JUst because something sells good doesnt make it great music. Avril Lavinge sells millions, but do you consider her music, great rock or even good rock? From what Axl has done from AFD to TSI I have found alot of what I like. Some of my all time favorite songs are GNR. What I have heard from the next GnR sounds pretty good too. I love Axl's voice. If I can hear him rip through the 5 new songs alone I will be happy, so put your own foot in your mouth.

Ron Jeremy - BEND OVER.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2004, 01:42:43 PM »

I'm being serious here. Define "flop"?  Commercial?  Critical?  According to who, exactly?

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2004, 07:36:24 PM »

Just as I was never interested in the Stones when I was young, the kids now won't be interested. I think only the people who already know them will be interested. And from them a whole lot is not gonna buy it because "GNR isn't GNR anymore" (No Slash, Duff, Izzy etc.)

Unless there is a huge hit on it. And I don't  know if it will contain one. I hope so. But from the 4 songs we've heard untill now I don't hear one. I do know for sure that it will NEVER get as big as it used to be.
I think this is the major problem with gnr fans. You have to realizethat although Axl and the new band greatly appreciate the old fans they are not soley banking on them for the new era of gnr.

Why are kids or people in general who are not wrapped up in the gnr situation automatically going to dismiss the new band and its material because of what old gnr did. What if the new music appeals to them? What if the videos and image of the new band and music appeal to them?

Take me for instance. I am 19. I got into GNR because of the old material but since learning about the new band I have become a much bigger fan of the new lineup. ANd thats not disrespecting the old lineup. ITs just that this new band is "my band".

Why cant it be the same for anyone else. When the singles and videos are released why cant kids/people say dam this band rocks. Then they buy the album and become a big fan of the band, gnr, as it is today. Why cant that kid or person fall in love with RObin or Bucket or whoever and say hes my guitar hero. Etc.

My point is that yes GNR already have a significant history in music history but that doesnt mean a whole new group of people cannot appreciate and love this band as their band.
GNr are going to market to everyone, not just old fans. Lets not be that ignorant.

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Dave_Rose
VIP

Cheese Sandwich

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2004, 08:16:33 PM »

Well GN'R already have a huge fan base and a lot of young people are getting in to GN'R these days and look at the sales of the Greatest Hits I know its old guns but it proves that the name Guns N' Roses can sell a lot of records thats why it will be a success mother fucker.

EEEERRRR Little boy
Music For Life
Banned
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2004, 08:32:18 PM »

^^^my topic was geared toward people just like him.  you say it is for sure going to be a big commercial success.  you dont know this for sure, so i want to know what you will say to all of us who live in reality and realize that nothing is a guarantee in life and that axls album may not be that big.  

so if it isnt how will you talk and brag about the new gnr?  

this topic isnt about if you think its going to be big or not or why you think so.  its meant for the people that "know for a fact" its going to be a huge success.

"SOMETIMES I COULD GET EVEN, SOMETIMES I COULD GIVE UP, SOMETIMES I COULD GIVE, SOMETIMES I NEVER GIVE A FUCK"
Dave_Rose
VIP

Cheese Sandwich

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2004, 08:50:10 PM »

The point I was trying to get across was the name Guns N' Roses still sells I didn't mention it would be a huge success now did I, I will think it will get number one on the album chart I didn't say it would be a huge success but I can see it selling well thats all.

EEEERRRR Little boy
The Estranged MrFlashbax
VIP

The Tranquil Jester

« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2004, 09:00:27 PM »

Just as I was never interested in the Stones when I was young, the kids now won't be interested. I think only the people who already know them will be interested. And from them a whole lot is not gonna buy it because "GNR isn't GNR anymore" (No Slash, Duff, Izzy etc.)

Unless there is a huge hit on it. And I don't  know if it will contain one. I hope so. But from the 4 songs we've heard untill now I don't hear one. I do know for sure that it will NEVER get as big as it used to be.
I think this is the major problem with gnr fans. You have to realizethat although Axl and the new band greatly appreciate the old fans they are not soley banking on them for the new era of gnr.

Why are kids or people in general who are not wrapped up in the gnr situation automatically going to dismiss the new band and its material because of what old gnr did. What if the new music appeals to them? What if the videos and image of the new band and music appeal to them?

Take me for instance. I am 19. I got into GNR because of the old material but since learning about the new band I have become a much bigger fan of the new lineup. ANd thats not disrespecting the old lineup. ITs just that this new band is "my band".

Why cant it be the same for anyone else. When the singles and videos are released why cant kids/people say dam this band rocks. Then they buy the album and become a big fan of the band, gnr, as it is today. Why cant that kid or person fall in love with RObin or Bucket or whoever and say hes my guitar hero. Etc.

My point is that yes GNR already have a significant history in music history but that doesnt mean a whole new group of people cannot appreciate and love this band as their band.
GNr are going to market to everyone, not just old fans. Lets not be that ignorant.

i agree with you to some extent but in my experience, the younger audience might just look at the new gnr and say "its just another old band w/ a new video.. like aerosmith"

when i was at my cousin's house, his friends came over and we were watching tv and slither came on.. sure slither went to #1 on its debut week but that's mostly because of gnr and stp fans.. not so much velvet revolver fans.. when i told my cousin and his friends (who are 15, only 2 years younger than me) that i love this band and asked them what they think, they tell me that its creepy.. image is more important to them than the music.. and lets face it, robin finck playing the guitar in his crab position, with his skin painted silver and middle of his head shaved off is not very pretty to look at..

but as i said, this is how i see it from my experiences with my younger cousin and his friends.. we'll find out what's what when the album actually comes out..  peace

Thanks 2 those who went 2 Mustang Harry's on May 12th. That made my first concert experience something I'll never forget. Never did I feel like I fit in anywhere as much as I did amongst you strangers
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2004, 10:46:27 PM »

i agree with you to some extent but in my experience, the younger audience might just look at the new gnr and say "its just another old band w/ a new video.. like aerosmith"
The difference is that its not an old band. Its a band with a completely different image and probably going to be a different sound. A more modern sound. The members in GNR are really not that well known to the mainstream. So the public really cant associate them with any type of old band or movement.

IMO the music is what will make or break this band in terms of new fans. If its modern and good I dont see why peopel wont like it for what it is.

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
The Estranged MrFlashbax
VIP

The Tranquil Jester

« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2004, 12:08:49 AM »

The difference is that its not an old band. Its a band with a completely different image and probably going to be a different sound. A more modern sound. The members in GNR are really not that well known to the mainstream. So the public really cant associate them with any type of old band or movement.

IMO the music is what will make or break this band in terms of new fans. If its modern and good I dont see why peopel wont like it for what it is.

its gonna have the title "Guns n Roses" to it and once everyone hears that name they'll think "80's music" and to a lot of these kids today, Nirvana is "old school" so to them, GnR's ancient..

and yeah.. i guess you're right about if they sound good people will like em.. and there's a shit load of what ifs and buts which wont be answered until CD comes out so til then..  peace

Thanks 2 those who went 2 Mustang Harry's on May 12th. That made my first concert experience something I'll never forget. Never did I feel like I fit in anywhere as much as I did amongst you strangers
SADIS
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2004, 04:06:08 AM »

I know they aren't. Otherwise he would have kept Slash, Duff and Izzy in GNR. My point is that eventhough the music will be great, the kids cannot relate to a 43 year old guy. And that's why GNR was HUGE the first time. The people/kids could relate to it. And see Axl as a hero who came to tell the truth.

I'm not talking about the kids here. I'm talking about people who were there from 87 'till 93. Those are the people who are gonna say; "that ain't GNR" (and I'm not talking about the hardcore fans, just the majority of the people). Because that are the people who bought the millions of albums.  

It's nice for you that the new band is your GNR. But you are just one of the few. Most people will never see the new GNR as the real GNR. Because the new GNR didn't write SCOM, PC, Patience, WTTJ, etc. And those are the songs that reflect the memories of their teens and twenties. Don't you remember the VMA's anymore. Everybody saw it as a joke. They all said that that wasn't GNR. And since you are 19 you weren't there the first time. So to you that's just history, and that's why you relate to the new band more. But the new band won't be that appealing to the kids as much as the old band did. Because they are wealthy guys with lots of money writing about stuff most kids didn't deal with yet.

Ofcourse that could happen. And I hope for them that it will happen. But it won't happen for me. Although I'm only 25 I was there the first time. And there was this vibe that caught me, and never let me go. But it was the sound (and image) that Slash, Duff, Axl, Izzy created. And for the most GNR fans it works that way.

So if they don't try to relate to them (the old GNR fans), and they aren't gonna relate to the kids, then who are they gonna relate to? Yeah, to people like you, but you're just one in a million. See what I mean. Although I hope it will be HUGE. And everybody will love it, and chant "fuck Slash" at the concerts, I just don't see it happen. It's just way too fuckin' complicated and difficult.

And it could have been a bit easier. If he had gone solo, and ditched the name GNR. Things would have been totally different.

I'm not being ignorant. I'm just trying to be realistic. And to me the new band isn't appealing. A dork with a bucket on his head? A guy with make up on and who has shaved only parts of his head? And  I don't even know what the rest looks like. And no image don't mean that much to me but it was also the image GNR had that made them huge in the first place.

Just be realistic man. Look at the history of music and learn from it. They had their chance and didn't take it. Waited too long. I think "the moment's gone".....

But I do still think they can come up with great music. It just won't be that huge.
anarchy
VIP

Smug

« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2004, 07:25:56 AM »

As long as Anarchy likes it, nothing else matters.

Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2004, 07:39:40 AM »

Of the new Gn'R songs I've heard, I love Oh My God, Madagascar, The Blues, Chinese Democracy, and Rhyiad and the Bedoiuns (sp?)   I really like a lot of Silk Worms, but the song just doesn't gel as a whole for me.

So, it may be a flop, I dunno.... but everything I've heard so far leads me to believe and expect otherwise.

My thoughts exactly - and OMG, Blues, Maddy and CD are (for my money) possible the best GNR tunes ever

GNR are about to reach their peak

Quick! To the bandwagon!
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2004, 11:04:12 AM »

My point is that eventhough the music will be great, the kids cannot relate to a 43 year old guy. And that's why GNR was HUGE the first time. The people/kids could relate to it. And see Axl as a hero who came to tell the truth.
Im not saying GNR will be that huge again. They wont. Not because its not old gnr but because its a completely different musical landscape and business.

I'm talking about people who were there from 87 'till 93. Those are the people who are gonna say; "that ain't GNR" (and I'm not talking about the hardcore fans, just the majority of the people). Because that are the people who bought the millions of albums.  
You have no facts to back that up. Yes, there will be some who say "even though its good/bad its not old gnr, i dont liek it". BUt there will also be many more people who say "wow this kicks ass".

The majority of the group who were around when GNR were huge have not followed GNR like we have. We are the hardcore fans. The others are casual fans. Some will dismiss some will not.

But you are just one of the few.
For now Wink
Most people will never see the new GNR as the real GNR. Because the new GNR didn't write SCOM, PC, Patience, WTTJ, etc. And those are the songs that reflect the memories of their teens and twenties.
Thats fine and dandy. BUt who said this band is trying to take the place of old gnr and its history? Its pretty obivious that when things get going GNR, the band as it is today, will be working for their own piece of history. When did any of the members say they are trying to be like the old?

You can keep talking baout the fans and hwo they releated to old gnr all you want. FAct is if the music is great they are going to listen. Its fukin music not real issues. People havnt had thousands of message board arguments debating old/new gnr.

They all said that that wasn't GNR
They are right, that wasnt old gnr. It was new GNR..whats so hard to understand about that?

But the new band won't be that appealing to the kids as much as the old band did.
As I said, the new lineup will not have the same impact as the old lineup in terms of popularity and just taking over the whole world. But they definately can take over the rock world and build their own fanbase.

Because they are wealthy guys with lots of money writing about stuff most kids didn't deal with yet.
Can you please show us the lyrics to all the new gnr songs? We are dying to see them....

And for the most GNR fans it works that way.

NO, not for most...for some old gnr fans it works that way. ANd lets remember that you and your old friends do not make up all of the land. Theres plenty of peopel out there who are followers of other members in the band.
And it could have been a bit easier. If he had gone solo, and ditched the name GNR. Things would have been totally different.
Not really. Peopel would still get on him for the delays, people would still get on him for having a bunch of "freaks" as a band, people would still compare the album and members to old gnr. Gnr hasnt ended, so why should Axl ditch the name? Who said we have to forget the past and what they did? WHy cant the new band simply be a new chapter of the gnr legacy?

Why cant people say in 25 yrs say dam GNr had 2 great periods of making music?

And to me the new band isn't appealing.
To me it is....

A dork with a bucket on his head? A guy with make up on and who has shaved only parts of his head? And  I don't even know what the rest looks like. And no image don't mean that much to me but it was also the image GNR had that made them huge in the first place.
Not only does this band have a unique image they have great ability. Thats why its special.

Yes, image is very important. Just because you are used to old gnrs look doesnt mean thats the only look in the world.

And your wrong. The image didnt make old gnr huge in the first place. The music did. The only reason why their look was accepted was because of their great music. I hate to break it to ya but old gnr were also initially looked upon as freaks and degenrates or whatver. WHat made them legit, accepted and "cool" was the music.

And guess what....what will make new gnr legit, accepted, and cool is thier music....Its not so hard afterall...

But I do still think they can come up with great music. It just won't be that huge.
And thats what we are all expecting  Wink

Great music will take care of itself......and I know this band has made it.

bolton
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2004, 11:26:49 AM »

GNR=big sells=money
many people said:"uhhh,gnr is one comercial band,afd was ok,but after that gnr were sold"
but after afd gnr became a big band,and one of the biggest bands for all time
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2004, 03:20:11 PM »

For me commercial success means nothing. I'll probably love the album no matter what. ok

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
SADIS
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2004, 03:46:19 PM »

Im not saying GNR will be that huge again. They wont. Not because its not old gnr but because its a completely different musical landscape and business.

Totally true. I agree with you on that for 100%

You have no facts to back that up. Yes, there will be some who say "even though its good/bad its not old gnr, i dont liek it". BUt there will also be many more people who say "wow this kicks ass".

I really hope so.

Thats fine and dandy. BUt who said this band is trying to take the place of old gnr and its history? Its pretty obivious that when things get going GNR, the band as it is today, will be working for their own piece of history. When did any of the members say they are trying to be like the old?

You don't get my point. I'm not sayin that they want to do that. What I mean is that with the memory the old GNR comes to mind. Not the new. And if they don't wanna replace the old then don't play the tunes. Because when they play the old, it just doesn't fit for me. And I don't think I'm the only one who feels that way. And I don't have anything against the new guys.

You can keep talking baout the fans and hwo they releated to old gnr all you want. FAct is if the music is great they are going to listen. Its fukin music not real issues. People havnt had thousands of message board arguments debating old/new gnr.

I hope so. But I don't think it's just that easy.

They are right, that wasnt old gnr. It was new GNR..whats so hard to understand about that?

Why is it so hard for you to understand that people also related to the people playing the music. Why do you think it is SO much debated here?

Can you please show us the lyrics to all the new gnr songs? We are dying to see them....

Well you have heard the new ones, haven't you? I don't think it will be totally different from that.

NO, not for most...for some old gnr fans it works that way. ANd lets remember that you and your old friends do not make up all of the land. Theres plenty of peopel out there who are followers of other members in the band.

No but you and your friends don't either. I think that you can find more people that would love to see the old line-up play together, then ppl who would like to see the new line-up.

Not really. Peopel would still get on him for the delays, people would still get on him for having a bunch of "freaks" as a band, people would still compare the album and members to old gnr. Gnr hasnt ended, so why should Axl ditch the name? Who said we have to forget the past and what they did? WHy cant the new band simply be a new chapter of the gnr legacy?

You don't get the legacy GNR was I think. Or maybe you do and you don't see the magic. But look at it this way. What if John Lennon kept the name the Beatles and he replaced everybody, would it still be The Beatles? No, it wouldn't be because it misses the elements that mad ethe Beatles the Beatles.

Not only does this band have a unique image they have great ability. Thats why its special.

Well, I haven't heard that special thing yet. All I heard was them covering GNR songs. Just like Adler's Appetite.

And your wrong. The image didnt make old gnr huge in the first place. The music did. The only reason why their look was accepted was because of their great music. I hate to break it to ya but old gnr were also initially looked upon as freaks and degenrates or whatver. WHat made them legit, accepted and "cool" was the music.

The music, in combination with thei image. They stood for something, and that something is called Rock&Roll. They were 5 guys striggeling to get by. And that was apealing to alot of people. I don't see that (yet) in the new GNR.

Great music will take care of itself......and I know this band has made it.

How do you know? Were you there in the studio? How can you defend something that hasn't released shit. The old GNR at least prooved they were the shit.
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2004, 04:19:50 PM »

And if they don't wanna replace the old then don't play the tunes.
They wont. Future GNR tours will no have a dominant old gnr setlist. Maybe a few sprinckled in but not many.

I think that you can find more people that would love to see the old line-up play together, then ppl who would like to see the new line-up.
Yea as of right now thats the case because no1 knows anything about new gnr. There is no material to judge them on.

They stood for something, and that something is called Rock&Roll.
Rock n ROll doesnt have a set look or image. Its more of an attitude and philopshy than anything else. WHat makes a bands look cool and rock n roll is thier music. Case closed.

How do you know? Were you there in the studio? How can you defend something that hasn't released shit.
The songs we have heard are excellent and they arent even studio versions or the big guns. You can argue about the big guns all you want but fact is that there are songs that we havnt heard yet that the band feels very strongly about.

And when a guy named Axl Rose is fronting a band the hcances of it sounding good and kciking ass is very good. Hes a perfectionist. The members have changed but so what. They are capable of making thier own music. I know the vocals and lyrics will be the best we have heard from gnr. The only question is the sound of the band as a whole. And by the soudn of the new material and those clips of the promo...they have done a great job.

Its obivious the old members were at their best when Axl was with them. Now we will find out what holds tru for Axl. Is he nothing without the old members? Or has he not missed a beat with the new band? TIme will tell....and like I have been saying for 4 yrs now....I truly believe GNR will not dissapoint. And what I can say with 100% confidence is atleats one thing. TO me the most important thing....the fact that this band has given it everything they got into making the best possible material they can.....

oneway23
VIP

I've asphyxiated waiting...

« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2004, 06:13:50 PM »

I could give a shit ...honestly, I'd be content if the only people that bought it and were touched by it are those of us on the boards that have supported this band through every twist, turn, false start, and disaster in the last 13 years...This could be a watershed moment in the history of HTGTH...If it's a "masterpiece" of sorts, it'll be the first time ALL of us agree on anything.....that's success enough...
ClintroN
The board won't let me use a longer name than this!
Legend

Gimme some fuckin' Democracy

« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2004, 04:20:53 AM »

this albums the biggest hype in music history in my eyes, it will not flop.

alot of people are gonna be curious ok

www.myspace.com/killmondays

GNR - Brizvegas - AUSTRALIA
June -19th 
         -20th, 2007
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: