Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 03:31:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228551 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  SPIN mag 50 greatest frontmen of all time
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: SPIN mag 50 greatest frontmen of all time  (Read 16285 times)
EricaLyn087
Headliner

Showtime for strangers

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2004, 06:18:17 PM »

"freddie doesnt have the catalog prince has, plus he had brian may playin all those kick ass guitar riffs"

That doesn't matter... lots of people have a guy playing a 'kick ass guitar riff' (Plant/Page, Tyler/Perry, Jagger/Richards). But Freddie REALLY got the crowd going. He could have 100,000 people in the palm of his hand at once. He was the example to follow. So for anyone to put Prince above Freddie is, well, a royal blasphemy.

Being a frontman has nothing to do with instruments the play or what they composed... it's how they control the audience and how they get the audience on their feet and into the show.

These lists are so pathetic anyway. It's just a bunch of peoples' opinions.  Roll Eyes

"One time we played a concert in Antwerp, Belgium. At least I thought it was Antwerp, Belgium. Turns out it was a Stop 'n Shop in Wisconsin somewhere, but it was fun man." -- Slash
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2004, 06:41:58 PM »

you have never been to a prince concert obviously

Prince has the crowd on their feet the entire time

and its a mix of white,black,latino,hispanic,dominican,gay,lesbian,straight

Prince crosses color lines religious lines he unites his fans into one

and if prince can make me dance in concert that alone says it, cause i dont dance! but i had to at that concert

Prince concerts are an event, he has the crowd goin crazy without using any pyro,light shows,props etc, just  a man and his unbelievable charisma,dancing,musicianship,and showmanship

its a unique experience watchin prince live! he's a frontman and lead guitarist in one, how can u argue against that?

imagine axl rose with the ability to play guitar like slash, that is prince! whether u like the man or not u have to give him his props!

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2004, 06:53:13 PM »

well i think that prince doesnt count, or micheal jackson or so, cause they do pop music.
pop music is by definition popular.
kids, teens, everybody, its like "meant to be loved", "mainstream" and "listener-friendly"

i think it's a lot harder to have the crowd in your hand when u do music like freddy mercury than just regular pop tunes.
cause i'm sure britney has the crowd on her feet too....

EricaLyn087
Headliner

Showtime for strangers

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2004, 07:06:08 PM »

you have never been to a prince concert obviously

Prince has the crowd on their feet the entire time

and if prince can make me dance in concert that alone says it, cause i dont dance! but i had to at that concert

Prince concerts are an event, he has the crowd goin crazy without using any pyro,light shows,props etc, just  a man and his unbelievable charisma,dancing,musicianship,and showmanship

its a unique experience watchin prince live! he's a frontman and lead guitarist in one, how can u argue against that?

imagine axl rose with the ability to play guitar like slash, that is prince! whether u like the man or not u have to give him his props!

Obviously I've never been to a Prince concert. I have no desire to go but that has nothing to do with it. However, Queen/Freddie did all that. They crossed racial lines, religious lines and more. At Live Aid, they didn't have their usual lighting and found they could still perform and they had the audience on their feet. So, what are you trying to say?

Godisdead is right... Britney always has the crowd on her feet too but that doesn't mean anything. She is a pop singer, just like Prince.

"One time we played a concert in Antwerp, Belgium. At least I thought it was Antwerp, Belgium. Turns out it was a Stop 'n Shop in Wisconsin somewhere, but it was fun man." -- Slash
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2004, 10:27:56 PM »

anyone that thinks prince and britney have anything in common knows absolutely nothing about music

Prince composed,produced,arranges and plays the instruments on over 90 percent of his music

he is more than  pop singer

purple rain was a rock record, the gold experience was a rock record, he has had plenty of rock songs

that up there doesnt say number 1 rock frontman

it says number 1 frontman which means all genres apply

Timothy
Big T
Banned
Legend

bourgeois democracy

« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2004, 11:04:39 PM »

Prince is the man, well deserving of his place on the list.
 beer

?In China, Talk Of Democracy Is Simply That.?
Eduardo
VIP

Its just that demon life has got him in its sway

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2004, 11:49:21 PM »

Prince is good and all, but I dont see him as the typical leader you know. Mick Jagger on the other hand, should be Number One. Just about every rock singer wants to be like him. Just watch Scott Weiland, his moves are Mick Jager rip offs, as well as Axl Rose, Steven Tyler, and anyone more you can think of.

Whats more incredible is that he still can get a crowd going for 2 hrs! EAnd the guy is 62! I recommend you to buy their newest DVD, 4 Flicks, it rocks so much and it shows how much of a genius Mick Jagger is.
Mr Cowbell ?
Legend

HTGTH Powerslam Champion / Former WWE Game Champ

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2004, 12:08:11 AM »

I thought "Another One Bites the Dust" was a huge crossover, it was a Discoish song that Put Bass on the Map, That song was well recieved by African Americans.  And I think its safe to say Gays/Lesibeans like Freddie...

Ron Jeremy - BEND OVER.
matt88
Riding The Nightrain
Legend

Slash is the King

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2004, 12:57:54 AM »

Freddie M should of been #1

Yeah i'm with you on that 1 ok

My top 5
1)Freddie Mercury
2)Axl Rose
3)Steven Tyler
4)Jimi Hendrix
5)Ozzy Osbourne

"I've been draggin my heels with a bitch called hope let the undercurrent drag me along"
Mr Cowbell ?
Legend

« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2004, 02:06:51 AM »

Not to mention "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" was a #1 song and has been covered by many people

I cant think of a sporting arena in the US that doesnt play  WE Will Rock You and Everytime I see a championship game end I ALWAYS here WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS over the loud speakers, a We are the champions was all done by Freddie, not to mention it takes some real big balls to go out on stage with short white shorts.

I think Prince has alot of hardcore fans but outside of them to the average rock fan most of them will regonise Queen Songs and Freddie more then Prince.

Ron Jeremy - BEND OVER.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2004, 09:49:20 AM »

OK, time to stop the non-GN'R talk here.

Back on topic: I think it's great to see that not everybody has forgotten Axl or think he's in the same league as the other singers from the 80s LA scene.  ok

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
bolton
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2004, 10:04:51 AM »

OK, time to stop the non-GN'R talk here.

Back on topic: I think it's great to see that not everybody has forgotten Axl or think he's in the same league as the other singers from the 80s LA scene.  ok

/jarmo
gnr was very different band on la scene in 80's,and nobody couldn't compare Axl with poison,def lepard or some hair band singer.
Guns n roses were bigger band than any hair or alternative band,and gnr was pure rnr band
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2004, 02:59:43 PM »

no doubt jarmo, i still cant believe some people in here said axl is thought of like bret micheals etc

when did those singers close the vma's? when did those singers get asked to headline rir4, when did those singers get 8 figure studio budgets and all the time to record a cd

in the htgth awards that definitely got the award for most ludicrous and dumbest statement ever!

Axl was 7th and behind nothing but legends,which proves he is a legend after all these years

besides prince who has released probably 20 plus more albums than axl, axl was number 1 amongst frontmen from my lifetime and thats not bad since he hasnt done anything in 10 years!
im sure prince overtook axl with the fashion/dance ratings

i still cant believe jon bon jovi isnt there, thats stupid, jon could be one of the top 10 drawing frontmen of all time, look at the european concerts and the crowds,sold out US tour
« Last Edit: July 21, 2004, 03:02:33 PM by D » Logged

Mr Cowbell ?
Legend

« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2004, 03:08:33 PM »

i still cant believe jon bon jovi isnt there, thats stupid, jon could be one of the top 10 drawing frontmen of all time, look at the european concerts and the crowds,sold out US tour

Off topic but Jon is good but not greatest frontman. He doesnt get the crowd into as much, Its hard to be a frontman who can work the crowd when you are always playing guitar. If he was he could of made his solo career huge and wouldnt have to go back to the band.

On topic. Considering only 4 studio albums of new material. Also the fact we havnt heard anything new original material since 91 and a failed 2002 tour. He's not looking too bad at #7

Ron Jeremy - BEND OVER.
MadmanDan
Legend

When yu're talkin' to yourself,and nobody's home...

« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2004, 04:26:46 PM »

Oh come on,give me a break! Prince is ,without a doubt,a musical genius,but he NEVER made a song like NR or Estranged. Purple Rain was a decent ballad,but it's nowere near the two (and many more by GNR). I don't care if Prince can do both Axl and Slash's jobs if the two each do their job better that the little guy.

"There's only one Return, and it ain't of the king, it's of the Jedi !"
EricaLyn087
Headliner

Showtime for strangers

« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2004, 05:19:11 PM »

besides prince who has released probably 20 plus more albums than axl

Not in reference to Prince, but... quality over quantity, eh?  Roll Eyes

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2004, 05:26:36 PM »

besides prince who has released probably 20 plus more albums than axl

Not in reference to Prince, but... quality over quantity, eh?  Roll Eyes

wow and the booker floyd award for taking a post out of context goes to......ericalyn!!!!!!!!!! this was my entire post for those who havent seen it

"besides prince who has released probably 20 plus more albums than axl, axl was number 1 amongst frontmen from my lifetime and thats not bad since he hasnt done anything in 10 years!
im sure prince overtook axl with the fashion/dance ratings"

read the post, im sayin prince being more prolific than axl probably helped him rank higher, that was actually a huge compliment to axl stating that with only 3 full length lps and one ep of originals he is still the number 1 rock frontman on that list and that prince is the number 1 from my lifetime on that list but he has done alot more than axl

read the whole post dont take a small section and make it look like im sayin axl sucks because prince has done more, thats very not cool to do that on this board!!!!

i wasnt saying jon should be number 1 im sayin he should be in the top 50! how can u argue jon not at least being in the top 50

bon jovi have sold over 100 million records worldwide!! they sell out everywhere! they are phenomenal live and everyone knows who jon bon jovi is, u gonna sit here to my face and say karen o whoever the fuck that is should be higher than jon?

« Last Edit: July 21, 2004, 05:29:36 PM by D » Logged

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2004, 05:30:06 PM »

Stop talking about how great Prince is in the GN'R section.

It's not really what this board is about.  Tongue

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2004, 05:37:41 PM »

hihi hihi hihi hihi hihi hihi hihi
in all fairness i mentioned axl a bunch also! lol

whoever thought a bunch of GNR fans would sit around discussing prince! hihi hihi hihi hihi hihi

its amazing!

bolton
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2004, 06:11:44 PM »

D,i agree with you.axl had 3 albums with his band,and he was rock legend.
imagine what would he be with 6 or seven albums.rock legend number 1
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: