Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2024, 05:58:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228122 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  SLASH hearing CHINESE DEMOCRACY for the first time ...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: SLASH hearing CHINESE DEMOCRACY for the first time ...  (Read 23791 times)
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2004, 04:02:03 AM »

Break down Slash's guitar parts into 8-note figures and you'll realize his "songwriting" consists of two things:
1) Taking riffs from 25+ years ago
2) Slightly altering the timing (without changing ANY of the notes)

This is one of the main things that has always held back Appetite/Illusions when compared in a historical context.

Really?  To whom, you?  Because I dont recall seeing many critics noting that when "comparing in a historical context".  Roll Eyes  And you figure if it were just that easy, thered be a ton of albums as good as Appetite.  But really, your post is just a feeble attempt to discredit Slash, and not unsurprising.

justynius
Rocker

« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2004, 04:14:38 AM »

Break down Slash's guitar parts into 8-note figures and you'll realize his "songwriting" consists of two things:

This is one of the main things that has always held back Appetite/Illusions when compared in a historical context.

Really?  To whom, you?  Because I dont recall seeing many critics noting that when "comparing in a historical context".  Roll Eyes  And you figure if it were just that easy, thered be a ton of albums as good as Appetite.  But really, your post is just a feeble attempt to discredit Slash, and not unsurprising.

And yet the most surprising thing is that none of this changes the fact that what I said is true.

If you don't know anything about writing guitar parts, ask around with people who do. All of Slash's riffs are just cut and pastes of stuff that's been around for years. There probably aren't many people who can play as good as him, but there is practically nothing unique or inventive about his "songwriting." That aspect of Slash's contributions will be easily replaceable.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2004, 04:17:08 AM by justynius » Logged
justynius
Rocker

« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2004, 04:26:22 AM »

But really, your post is just a feeble attempt to discredit Slash, and not unsurprising.

You also might want to think about what you said with the last two words of this sentence. I'm guessing you didn't mean what you wrote.
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2004, 05:31:25 AM »

By the way, while we are on here about Axl's genius... why is it that the Hollywood Rose music is mostly shit?  No Slash... no Duff...

Put down your guitar for a second and pick up a dictionary - look up the words ''personal' and ''opinion''

Don't state your views as dogma Roll Eyes

I'm sorry, but if Axl is such a genius and has this wildly amazing ability to make people write amazing stuff, why is it that Shadow of your Love, Rocker, and the others on that CD are very very standard...?

Your opinion again - plus those songs were also written by Izzy

And your right - both of them are talentless it was Slash and Steven who wrote all the lyrics to AFD then gave their writing credits to Axl Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Okay lets play your daft game - if an artist wrote a few average songs before he was even signed - that makes him a bad lyricist?

Check any band's early stuff - its raw, its amaeturish

Its the way music is - writing good lyrics takes practice and time

It's because he doesn't make people write good shit.   They do it themselves.

Well there is such a thing as getting the best out of someone - pushing them to their limits or advising them

Why someone that hates Axl Rose so much feels the need to come to a GNR site is......baffling to be honest

Ur probably too dumb to realise it but essentially u have said Izzy Stradlin and Axl Rose are rubbish lyricists Roll Eyes

If u want to complain about how shit GNR is go to a Nirvana board

If you want to complain how shit Axl Rose is check the VR section or any Velvet Revolver site you like - thats where others like u congregate

I guess i must be the only one smart enough to realise GNR was the efforts of 5 exceptional musicians and each played his part

I must be amazing in that i like both Slash and Axl and acknowledge both of their credits
« Last Edit: July 13, 2004, 05:38:24 AM by Izzy » Logged

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Skeletor
Paha keisari
Legend

Oyez! Oyez!

« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2004, 05:44:14 AM »

This is slightly off topic, but am I the only one who thinks the f***in' rolleyes emoticon should be removed for good? Or that its use be limited to 1-3 per day?

This is what he'd always known
The promise of something greater beyond the water's final horizon
Izzy
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2004, 05:48:27 AM »

This is slightly off topic, but am I the only one who thinks the f***in' rolleyes emoticon should be removed for good? Or that its use be limited to 1-3 per day?

It wouldn't be needed at all if people stopped posting rubbish about the band 24/7

Axl's crap, Slash's crap blah blah blah

I thought we were all fans

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2004, 05:58:09 AM »

I guess i must be the only one smart enough to realise GNR was the efforts of 5 exceptional musicians and each played his part

No, you are not alone.  Smiley I tried to explain that Axl Rose is not GN'R and GN'R is not Axl Rose. Neither Slash, Duff, Izzy or Steven is GN'R. AFD and Lies was a result of 5 guys' collaboration. Some of them wrote chords, some of them riffs, some of them vocal melodies or lyrics or bass or drum parts, sometimes they worked together on things to create the best. In my opinion it was still GN'R after Steven was fired, but a different GN'R. After Izzy had left, we didn't hear new material. Slash's Snakepit is not GN'R, Loaded isn't GN'R, Izzy Stradlin' Band is not GN'R, Nu-GN'R is not GN'R, only the music of Axl and his new musicians. Maybe if they stayed together, it wouldn't be GN'R anymore, because the Real Guns N' Roses wrote their songs mostly together and not alone in different places of the USA.

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
darkmonth
« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2004, 08:17:20 AM »

By the way, while we are on here about Axl's genius... why is it that the Hollywood Rose music is mostly shit?  No Slash... no Duff...

Put down your guitar for a second and pick up a dictionary - look up the words ''personal' and ''opinion''

Don't state your views as dogma Roll Eyes

I'm sorry, but if Axl is such a genius and has this wildly amazing ability to make people write amazing stuff, why is it that Shadow of your Love, Rocker, and the others on that CD are very very standard...?

Your opinion again - plus those songs were also written by Izzy

And your right - both of them are talentless it was Slash and Steven who wrote all the lyrics to AFD then gave their writing credits to Axl Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Okay lets play your daft game - if an artist wrote a few average songs before he was even signed - that makes him a bad lyricist?

Check any band's early stuff - its raw, its amaeturish

Its the way music is - writing good lyrics takes practice and time

It's because he doesn't make people write good shit.   They do it themselves.

Well there is such a thing as getting the best out of someone - pushing them to their limits or advising them

Why someone that hates Axl Rose so much feels the need to come to a GNR site is......baffling to be honest

Ur probably too dumb to realise it but essentially u have said Izzy Stradlin and Axl Rose are rubbish lyricists Roll Eyes

If u want to complain about how shit GNR is go to a Nirvana board

If you want to complain how shit Axl Rose is check the VR section or any Velvet Revolver site you like - thats where others like u congregate

I must be amazing in that i like both Slash and Axl and acknowledge both of their credits

Firstly, others state that Snakepit is 'shit' so I can say another band is 'shit'.  I never said it WASNT my opinion.

Second.  I never said Axl was given lyrics by anyone.  For starters, I was mainly talking about the songs... not a specific part of the songs.

Third.  I disagree wth your statement about bands being ametuerish.  Funnily enough, Guns N' Roses, as a band's early stuff, is AFD.  They don't have a very large selection of other music other than that.  I have all the bootlegs, and frankly, there isn't much more.

Fourth.  Don't call me dumb.

Fifth.  As I stated before, I didn't mention Axl's or Izzy's lyircs.

Sixth.  My post history proves I don't hate Axl.  Don't make those accusations based on no knowledge.  My past posts will prove that I praise Axl when he deserves it.  When he acts like a cock I don't.  Unlike some.

Seven.  You are far from amazing.  You are a prick.  Sorry Jarmo... but he did call me dumb! Cheesy
Christos AG
Taxi Rider
HTGTH Crew
Legend

Been there, done that...

« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2004, 08:36:50 AM »

First of all, Dave - S.I.T.N. and Izzy, STOP IT RIGHT NOW.

Second, I never said that Axl is GN'R. GN'R is all the members that played and gave something to the band. Even Gilby Clarke.

Third, what Steven said is true (that he said it, not what he said, that is up to you to believe him). I don't need to make up lies. I'm not a 1 post wonder. I've been here for too long to make up shit.

I don't know what a "well documented source" means to you but to hear it from someone who was in the band at the time is more of a well documented source to me than anything else...

Izzy
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2004, 08:52:23 AM »

Well, Steven Adler (we know his feelings about Axl) told me last week that Axl wrote ALL the lyrics for AFD. And when I asked "R U FUCKIN SURE ABOUT THIS?" Robbie Crane said "Yes, it's the truth man...".

I don't know what a "well documented source" means to you but to hear it from someone who was in the band at the time is more of a well documented source to me than anything else...

I'm sorry but i don't belive Steven said that to you

We don't have all the details but we do now that songs like Think about you were not written by Axl - either Steven has been misquoted or he is grossly mistaken

Infact i actually remember a quote from Axl about 'Mr Brownstone' - he says he found the lyrics in Izzy's room and asked Izzy about them as he liked them - Izzy replied he had also written music for the song to

That quote (if memory serves is somewhere in the archives of this site - i will endeavour to find it)

To cut a long story short - the credits Jarmo gives maybe not be 100% correct but there are close enough (they were published in 1988)

Axl did not write all the lyrics to AFD.

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Christos AG
Taxi Rider
HTGTH Crew
Legend

Been there, done that...

« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2004, 09:01:13 AM »

Well I'm sorry you don't believe me.

I was with Steven and the whole band for 2 days and we talked about lots of things. Robbie Crane was with me and Steven when he said that but I won't ask Robbie to register on a message board just to make YOU believe what I said (even though he had the best to say about this site and message board, he said that it's the "unofficial-official" GN'R site).

I can and will post many pictures of me and the band in the next few days.

I won't go on with this matter. If you don't believe me it's your problem, not mine.

Izzy
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2004, 09:09:08 AM »

I won't go on with this matter. If you don't believe me it's your problem, not mine.

No need to get so defensive

The fact is to all intents and purposes we know Axl didn't write all the AFD lyrics - now you are challenging that

Maybe you misheard what Steven said, maybe Steven just got mistaken - maybe Steven thought you were refering to something else

I don't know

But Axl didn't write all the lyrics so somewhere there has been a mistake. I'm not having a go at you - but you are the one that reported it
« Last Edit: July 13, 2004, 09:09:54 AM by Izzy » Logged

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Christos AG
Taxi Rider
HTGTH Crew
Legend

Been there, done that...

« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2004, 09:16:43 AM »

No need to get so defensive

The fact is to all intents and purposes we know Axl didn't write all the AFD lyrics - now you are challenging that

Maybe you misheard what Steven said, maybe Steven just got mistaken - maybe Steven thought you were refering to something else

I don't know

But Axl didn't write all the lyrics so somewhere there has been a mistake. I'm not having a go at you - but you are the one that reported it

STEVEN: "Axl wrote ALL the lyrics for AFD".

ME: "WOW (I was amazed to hear that cause I knew what you know). R u fuckin sure dude?"

STEVEN: "Yeah I'm sure."

ROBBIE: "It's true man."

How can you mishear that? I am defensive cause I was there. I speak english and THANK GOD I can still hear and I heard what he said.

Maybe he was mistaken. Maybe not. I don't know. I reported what he said to me (which I believe).

page
Headliner

Worked to hard for my illusions

« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2004, 10:14:25 AM »

Break down Axl parts and you realize his "songwriting" consists of two things:
1) Taking linies and words from 0-3000+ years ago
2) Slightly altering the timing ( without making ANY new words)
Christos AG
Taxi Rider
HTGTH Crew
Legend

Been there, done that...

« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2004, 10:18:15 AM »

Even though I don't agree with the negative post against Slash's guitar playing I don't get your post.

I thought songwriting was about making new songs, not new words...

AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2004, 10:25:21 AM »

Im sorry but Izzy really is correct on this one. Axl never wrote anything for Think About You, that is as he said a pure Izzy song as a whole. And also, Mr. Brownstone is an Izzy Stradlin song as well. Izzy, if you cant find it on this site, i know without a doubt about that website you may not remember from a few months back where it contains background information on all songs featured on AFD as stated by the band itself. I have a memeory like a hawk and I know Axl stated he found those lyrics in Izzys hotel room.

The link to this site I know is on the message board on newgnr.com, but they have shut down their board for the summer. Their a pretty new site so I doubt there would be any problems finding the link when the board is active again.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2004, 10:39:02 AM by AxlsMainMan » Logged

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Izzy
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2004, 10:45:57 AM »

Im sorry but Izzy really is correct on this one. Axl never wrote anything for Think About You, that is as he said a pure Izzy song as a whole. And also, Mr. Brownstone is an Izzy Stradlin song as well. Izzy, if you cant find it on this site, i know without a doubt about that website you may not remember from a few months back where it contains background information on all songs featured on AFD as stated by the band itself. I have a memeory like a hawk and I know Axl stated he found those lyrics in Izzys hotel room.

The link to this site I know is on the message board on newgnr.com, but they have shut down their board for the summer. Their a pretty new site so I doubt there would be any problems finding the link when the board is active again.

Thanks for the support - i knew i wasn't dreaming this stuff

Axl had a hand in alot of the AFD songs but Steven is incorrect if he thinks Axl wrote all the lyrics - i don't blame him i doubt i would remember who wrote what from 17 years ago - especially if i was full of as much drugs and booze as he was at the time!

While i was hunting for those quotes i found something on snakepit.org where Slash claims he also wrote Mr Brownstone with Izzy......crazy

Quick! To the bandwagon!
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #57 on: July 13, 2004, 11:08:41 AM »

Thanks for the support - i knew i wasn't dreaming this stuff

Axl had a hand in alot of the AFD songs but Steven is incorrect if he thinks Axl wrote all the lyrics - i don't blame him i doubt i would remember who wrote what from 17 years ago - especially if i was full of as much drugs and booze as he was at the time!

While i was hunting for those quotes i found something on snakepit.org where Slash claims he also wrote Mr Brownstone with Izzy......crazy

If im not mistaken, the lyrics as you said were entirely Izzys, and when Axl found the lyrics and took a liking to them and asked if Izzy had music to go with it, I think if memory serves me correct he only had rough work done on the musical side of Mr.Brownstone. So im going to take a guess and say Slash and Izzy perfected the music of the song while the lyrics were already long done. Your probably right about Steven, he was the most fucked up of any of the former bandmembers so I really doubt he can remember as clear as day lyric credits of over 17 years ago Wink

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
page
Headliner

Worked to hard for my illusions

« Reply #58 on: July 13, 2004, 11:21:55 AM »

Quote:

Even though I don't agree with the negative post against Slash's guitar playing I don't get your post.

I thought songwriting was about making new songs, not new words...

My point is that, sure Slash isn`t that original but neither in GNR is... they didn`t play anything that Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Aerosmith or some other band hadn`t played before, - it was the way they did it. Rock music is rarely that original it`s just the blues in new forms. The blues led to the rock who in the 60-70`s which led to the rock in the 80-90`s (incl GNR).

What I tried to say in my post was that Axl isn`t anymore original that Slash, what ALL guitarists does is take little ideas here and little ideas there and so do lyricest/singers. There`s nothing surprising about the fact that you can find similar riffs if you look the right places. You can also find the linies somewhere if you look the right places.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2004, 11:37:21 AM by page » Logged
slashedguns
Rocker

Time went by and it all went up in smoke

« Reply #59 on: July 13, 2004, 11:50:16 AM »

That must have been a massive studio that they recorded Appetite in,to fit all u guys in there.. You guys know everything,but  then again i think u know shit

ASSESMENT: WASTE OF AMMO
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: