Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2024, 06:35:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228122 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  SLASH hearing CHINESE DEMOCRACY for the first time ...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: SLASH hearing CHINESE DEMOCRACY for the first time ...  (Read 23802 times)
Midnight
Opening Act

I'll get back to you...

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2004, 03:19:50 PM »

I love Slash, I think the dude is a legend.   That was kinda funny mind, put a smile on my face mainly because of how ridiculous it is.   Slash, Duff and Matt are the ones with an album out so why not do one with Axl begging them to return and actually get a Guns N' Roses album released! ok

Where is all this Axl was the main man stuff coming from?   Since the loss of Duff, Matt, Izzy and Slash he has done nothing!   We're still waiting on the album.   Together they were legendary, because they all brought something to the table and put it together and made some of the best rock n' roll albums there will ever be.   Steven Adler was on AFD, yes I know before some punk ass tries to correct me.

I don't hate Axl, the guy is a legend but I'm sick of the hating on the ex-members!   So far they have done more than Axl has with his bunch of stand ins.   The album could blow the music world wide open, or it could just plain blow...but hell we need to have it released first.

After thinking long and hard, this is what I came up with...
HoldenCaulfield
VIP

I strike to burn and no flame returns...

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2004, 03:39:04 PM »

lmao dude! amazingly, I think that is how Slash really will act...

If a body meet a body, comin' through the rye...
Christos AG
Taxi Rider
HTGTH Crew
Legend

Been there, done that...

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2004, 03:42:18 PM »

rofl Funniest post ever.  ok Axl didn't write a fuckin' note to AFD besides the vocal melodies.

Yeah but he also wrote all the lyrics...

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2004, 04:10:03 PM »

Axl didn't write a fuckin' note to AFD besides the vocal melodies.

These are the song writing credits I have:

"Welcome To The Jungle"
(Music: Slash, Rose / Lyrics: Rose)

"It's So Easy"
(Music: McKagan, Arkeen / Lyrics: McKagan, Arkeen )

"Nightrain"
(Music: Stradlin, McKagan, Rose, Slash / Lyrics: McKagan, Rose)

"Out Ta Get Me"
(Music: Slash, Rose, Stradlin / Lyrics: Rose, Stradlin)

"Mr. Brownstone"
(Music: Stradlin, Slash / Lyrics: Stradlin)

"Paradise City"
(Music: McKagan, Slash, Rose, Stradlin / Lyrics: Rose, McKagan)

"My Michelle"
(Music: Rose, Stradlin / Lyrics: Rose)

"Think About You"
(Music: Stradlin / Lyrics: Stradlin)

"Sweet Child O' Mine"
(Music: Rose, Slash, Stradlin / Lyrics: Rose)

"You're Crazy"
(Music: Slash, Stradlin, Rose / Lyrics: Rose, Stradlin)

"Anything Goes"
(Music: Stradlin, Rose, Weber / Lyrics: Stradlin, Rose)

"Rocket Queen"

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Christos AG
Taxi Rider
HTGTH Crew
Legend

Been there, done that...

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2004, 04:14:17 PM »

Axl didn't write a fuckin' note to AFD besides the vocal melodies.

These are the song writing credits I have:

"Welcome To The Jungle"
(Music: Slash, Rose / Lyrics: Rose)

"It's So Easy"
(Music: McKagan, Arkeen / Lyrics: McKagan, Arkeen )

"Nightrain"
(Music: Stradlin, McKagan, Rose, Slash / Lyrics: McKagan, Rose)

"Out Ta Get Me"
(Music: Slash, Rose, Stradlin / Lyrics: Rose, Stradlin)

"Mr. Brownstone"
(Music: Stradlin, Slash / Lyrics: Stradlin)

"Paradise City"
(Music: McKagan, Slash, Rose, Stradlin / Lyrics: Rose, McKagan)

"My Michelle"
(Music: Rose, Stradlin / Lyrics: Rose)

"Think About You"
(Music: Stradlin / Lyrics: Stradlin)

"Sweet Child O' Mine"

"You're Crazy"
(Music: Slash, Stradlin, Rose / Lyrics: Rose, Stradlin)

"Anything Goes"
(Music: Stradlin, Rose, Weber / Lyrics: Stradlin, Rose)

"Rocket Queen"

/jarmo

Well, Steven Adler (we know his feelings about Axl) told me last week that Axl wrote ALL the lyrics for AFD. And when I asked "R U FUCKIN SURE ABOUT THIS?" Robbie Crane said "Yes, it's the truth man...".

nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2004, 04:49:06 PM »

Axl is a genius.

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2004, 04:49:21 PM »

Well, Steven Adler (we know his feelings about Axl) told me last week that Axl wrote ALL the lyrics for AFD. And when I asked "R U FUCKIN SURE ABOUT THIS?" Robbie Crane said "Yes, it's the truth man...".

Well Steven Adler is mistaken....not sure why he would say that, maybe he's forgotten

Quick! To the bandwagon!
darkmonth
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2004, 05:19:33 PM »

Firstly, not one of us KNOWS who wrote what on AFD for real because no one's credits were written down back then.  The fact that Axl is credited in certain songs for the music means nothing as these credits have no source to speak of.

Also, Duff recently stated that Axl didn't write music for AFD.  And why would he?

By the way, while we are on here about Axl's genius... why is it that the Hollywood Rose music is mostly shit?  No Slash... no Duff...

I'm sorry, but if Axl is such a genius and has this wildly amazing ability to make people write amazing stuff, why is it that Shadow of your Love, Rocker, and the others on that CD are very very standard...?

It's because he doesn't make people write good shit.   They do it themselves.
chas
Headliner

« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2004, 05:39:58 PM »

Slash in BTM says that Apetite is a catalog of what Axl and the band was going through at the time. The fact that he singled out Axl reiterates what Steven is supposed to have said, and the fact that most of the credits on all GnR albums include Axl.

Slash could also have said it because he loves Axl, but i doubt it. Wink

By all reports Axl was extremely dominating when it came to deciding what music/riffs/melodies were to be used on the songs; i.e Sweet child o mine, where he recognised the potential Slashs godly riff had. He was always the main force behind GnR music, there are people who tend to say NR is good because of Slashs solo or Izzy wrote most of the songs etc...  Most of it is lies, in an attempt to further discredit Axl.

Imo  Axl was behind most of the music, he was a dictator and a perfectionist, yet its those things which made the GnR music timeless and incomparable.

Disclaimer: Most of what i've written is MY OPINION
« Last Edit: July 12, 2004, 05:42:14 PM by chas » Logged
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2004, 05:45:57 PM »

By the way, while we are on here about Axl's genius... why is it that the Hollywood Rose music is mostly shit?  No Slash... no Duff...

I'm sorry, but if Axl is such a genius and has this wildly amazing ability to make people write amazing stuff, why is it that Shadow of your Love, Rocker, and the others on that CD are very very standard...?

Funny considering the guy is responsible for one of the biggest hits the band had, "November Rain". Axl, and his fellow Hollywood Rose band mate named Izzy, also wrote this little song called "Dont Cry" which was one of the reasons the band got signed.

Have you heard any of the songs Slash wrote in 1984? I haven't.....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2004, 06:00:53 PM »

Hmmm..

Who should we believe then? Steven or a well documented source?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2004, 06:02:02 PM by Chinasky » Logged
chas
Headliner

« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2004, 06:37:23 PM »

Hmmm..

Who should we believe then? Steven or a well documented source?

Without knowing what well documented source your talking about i'd say the documented source!

What source you talking about? credits on album?
RnT
Legend

Every saint has a past, every sinner has a future.

« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2004, 06:47:08 PM »

I'm sick of the hating on the ex-members!  

Grin
I LOVE BOTH
ok

darkmonth
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2004, 06:57:51 PM »

Funny considering the guy is responsible for one of the biggest hits the band had, "November Rain". Axl, and his fellow Hollywood Rose band mate named Izzy, also wrote this little song called "Dont Cry" which was one of the reasons the band got signed.

Have you heard any of the songs Slash wrote in 1984? I haven't.....

to start, nothing is funny... November Rain is certainly not that great... it's just more mainstream friendly... come on Jarmo...

songs like Don't Damn Me, Coma, Double Talkin Jive, Nightrain.... THESE are quality tunes.... November Rain is good... but man, it's not great.  It's heavily overrated because it's one of the few GnR songs that the mainstream liked.

And no... we haven't heard Slash's 1984 stuff... why would we care?  If it's as bad as the Hollywood Rose stuff, I don't want to hear it.  The way I see it is this... Slash's Snakepit is Slash's stuff without Axl right?  And Hollywood Rose is Axl without Slash (forget other members for a sec...).

Snakepit is leagues ahead of Hollywood Rose.  So there. Cheesy  Slash's solo efforts may not be GnR standard... but they are far better than Axl's previous non-gnr stuff.  How's that for a turnaround!?
Evolution
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2004, 07:53:07 PM »

good work with the pics RnT hihi
freddiebrph
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2004, 08:10:18 PM »

hihi poor Slash

Oh ya, Poor slash. Sucks to have a # 1 gold album,  sold out international tours, etc. By the time CD ever comes aout, slash will be talking about the 3rd vr album on behind the music.

Get a Life!
SlashFan
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2004, 11:41:40 PM »

That was a funny post,but I really don't think is sitting around worrying about what Axl is up to.Velvet Revolver are one of the best bands around these days,there's no GN'R album out,so no one really knows what it will sound like.For all we know Axl could have re-wote the album over 100 times by now,and I hope all of the songs don't sound like OMG,it's an ok song,but I wouldn't want a whole album full of that.
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2004, 02:59:19 AM »

rofl Funniest post ever.  ok Axl didn't write a fuckin' note to AFD besides the vocal melodies.

Yeah but he also wrote all the lyrics...

Or at least most of the lyrics. I didn't say that Axl isn't a genius - yes, he is. Without him AFD would be something very different, and not that great. Axl is my favourite singer of all time, but back in '87 he didn't play guitar (I wonder how good he is now...), and AFD is guitar music, right? So he could have hardly written any music. Ooops, I forgot about Paradise City, where we can hear about 5 notes on synths. I don't know how good he was at playing the piano, but AFD is not that type of music you write on piano and then rewrite to guitar. It's funny to imagine Axl playing WTTJ or My Michelle on his piano. Some of you really overrate his talent in writing music. I don't know the source of Jarmo's songwriting credits, but if they (original members) have ever said this can be only because Axl was a dictator and wanted to see his name everywhere.

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
Skeletor
Paha keisari
Legend

Oyez! Oyez!

« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2004, 03:09:19 AM »

Why is it so hard for people in this forum to realize that the majority of GnR fans are looking for a Rock and Roll album, not Axl's Grand Masterpeice. He's a Rock and Roll frontman not John Williams.

First of all I think you're wrong, but if you are right, the majority needs to wake the fuck up. GNR already veered away from AFD's rock n' roll to a more hard rock sound with the Illusion albums, and what with Axl being in his forties now, it's only natural there's some progression.

The way I see it is this... Slash's Snakepit is Slash's stuff without Axl right?  And Hollywood Rose is Axl without Slash (forget other members for a sec...).
Snakepit is leagues ahead of Hollywood Rose.

It makes no sense to compare them since there's a huge time gap between 'em.

Steven Adler (we know his feelings about Axl) told me last week that Axl wrote ALL the lyrics for AFD

I doubt that's true, especially as Izzy is a great lyricist. As far as I know at least 'Think About You' is a 100% Izzy tune, and I believe Axl's said that somewhere.

This is what he'd always known
The promise of something greater beyond the water's final horizon
justynius
Rocker

« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2004, 03:29:43 AM »

Funniest post ever.  Axl didn't write a fuckin' note to AFD besides the vocal melodies. Does the rest of the stuff suck? No. And if I were you, I wouldn't write anything about music with a Robin Finck picture in my avatar. Slash is the best guitarist ever, GN'R was made by 5 guys.

I originally posted this in the "Slash & Axl" topic, but it looks like it is more applicable over here.....

Anyone here play guitar?

Break down Slash's guitar parts into 8-note figures and you'll realize his "songwriting" consists of two things:
1) Taking riffs from 25+ years ago
2) Slightly altering the timing (without changing ANY of the notes)

It really is a direct cut and paste. This is one of the main things that has always held back Appetite/Illusions when compared in a historical context.

With Buckethead gone, it will be interesting to see if New GN'R can find a replacement that comes close to matching Slash's performance skills. But as far as Slash's songwriting contributions are concerned, they are easily replaceable.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: