Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 07:15:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Axl keeps adjusting something on his waist during live performances...
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Axl keeps adjusting something on his waist during live performances...  (Read 8068 times)
W 23 Axl
Headliner

12/02 - msg show - un fuckin real

« on: July 08, 2004, 11:41:34 AM »

Does anyone notice Axl go to his waist to adjust something when he's singing.

i think its either a volume meter, which lets him raise or lower his vocal volume, or, it applies more effect...either more reverb or delay.

he sometimes uses it for long screams, where the scream gets huge and echo-y at the end. i know he used it at the VMAs for the long intro scream on jungle, and i've seen him use it many times on the 2002 tour, even in rio.

thing is, i don't think he used one during the illusion tour. he probably trusted someone back then to work his vocal effects and volume the right way. now, he's probably so paranoid and nervous about singing live that he needs to have full control over his vocals. it kinda takes the coolness out of the equation though when you see him making technical adjustments during the show.

more side rants from me:
- Buckethead was the only person who could have replaced Slash. From watching all these 2002 shows and going to two of them, robin is just not that good, plain n simple. he's seems like an amatuer at times, and his solo on SCOM is kinda bad. Fortus is a better player, but he has no real presence, atleast robin has that. robin does look cool.
- i feel really bad for steven, its so sad he's in germany playing appetite - plus his band sucks, i DLd Scom, its terrible.
- My prediction: sooner or later, this CD will be out. how's that for fortune telling!

- Greg
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2004, 11:45:59 AM »

Your right its probably a receiver or something for his cordless mike or a controler for the peice in his ear so he can hear the band and keep his voice in tune with them.

Robin was the guitarist for NIN for fuck sakes. I know they never played anything extremely crazy guitar wise but to think that the guitarist for one of the biggest bands in the 90's can't play something that someone else wrote is just ridiculous.  He changes it on purpose because he plays it the same every time. He's adding his own signature to someone else's work. Now as to whether we like it or not doesn't matter, thats the way the songs are done now, like it or leave it.  He'll never be Slash and he knows it and he's not trying to be. He's being Robin Finck. It's who he is.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2004, 11:51:10 AM by Neemo » Logged

younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2004, 12:02:58 PM »

robin is just not that good, plain n simple. he's seems like an amatuer at times, and his solo on SCOM is kinda bad.
Hold that comment until you hear his own work on the album.

As for the way he plays old songs. Tough luck. Its not that he cant play them, its that he plays them his way and not the way Slash and company did. Whats wrong with that? And that whole "new band cant play the old songs" is way overdone. They play the old stuff great. Of course its not going to be note for note or with the sam eintensity as the old. But you know what? They did a great fukin job on that tour. They gave you their all even though it wasnt their songs. Atleast respect that.

As for what they can and cant do...lets see what the album brings. Cause theres a chance you might look very silly.

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
W 23 Axl
Headliner

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2004, 12:11:19 PM »

look, i'm a guitarist myself, of course i know Robin is playing them his own way, i'd say its pretty fuckin tough to play the SCOM solo note for note, slash doesn't even play it nore for note from appetite.

that wasn't my point...

my point was his actualy playing isn't that good. don't get me wrong, i like robin alot, i think he's got a cool look, and sometimes his playing is good (like the blues solo, well...kinda...i've seen him mess up that last ending part, the octave changes)

i am just saying over-all, he's not that good, technically...no big deal....doesn't really mean all too much, however, he IS in guns n roses....

buckethead on lead and robin on rhythm/lead would have been perfect.

** As for the Axl meter on his waist, yea, it could be for a better monitor mix of the band in his ear, but his voice gets either louder or more effected when he does that.

BTW - does anyone know where to either buy or view the House of Blues shows?Huh

PS- just downloaded the 2002 VMAs again....jungle wasn't that bad, maddy was pretty good....but paradise is what sucked hardcore...plus, the ay they did it, those drum beats after maddy going into paradise, kinda was weird. Axl's voice on paradise was bad....but jungle n maddy weren't too bad. Funny how Jimmy Fallon was going crazy though on the intro .... lol

anyone see the MTV Uncensored piece about the 2002 vma rehearsals.....you see gnr playing n axl walk up onto the stage and make a comment to someone about what he is hearing and how the mix is fucked.

- Greg
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2004, 01:42:21 PM »

I figured you played Guitar by your post. I do too.  And yeah I think Robin isn't a very technical player either but look where he came from, NIN (not the most fantastic or difficult guitar parts in their tunes, Except hurt that's a pretty tough tune to play  nervous  ok ) And he changed them and he thinks they sound good. I think he shoulda left them alone. But who the fuck am I, right? He's in one of the biggest bands in the world and I pay money to watch him play.  Besides even with all his changes it was still one of the greatest shows I have ever seen.

Rockin' Rose
VIP

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2004, 04:36:39 PM »

- i feel really bad for steven, its so sad he's in germany playing appetite - plus his band sucks, i DLd Scom, its terrible.

I feel bad for Steven too

Na Naa Naa Naa Na Naa Naa...
Dave_Rose
VIP

Cheese Sandwich

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2004, 04:43:49 PM »

When you bend ur knee's u can sing higher and longer noets

EEEERRRR Little boy
Gunner Fucker
Axl's Yes Man
Headliner

Bucketwho?

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2004, 06:57:58 PM »

- Buckethead was the only person who could have replaced Slash. From watching all these 2002 shows and going to two of them, robin is just not that good, plain n simple. he's seems like an amatuer at times, and his solo on SCOM is kinda bad. Fortus is a better player, but he has no real presence, atleast robin has that. robin does look cool.

Please tell me you were on crack when you posted this.

.To start with, let me tell you that there are lots of virtuoso guitarists who could've done the job Bucket head did, 100 times better. Not saying he's bad, far from that but, there are a lot of players that could fit in there: Paul Gilbert (would be excellent), John Petrucci, Joe Satriani, Greg Howe, Richie Kotzen, you name them....
Although I think that Richard can take the job if you ask me.  2 guitars with him and Robin is enough.

.Fortus no real presence? Come on! The guy rocks the fuck outta the place when he plays,  and if oyu doubt his skills as a guitarist, listen to the wonderful solo he plays at the end of the blues.

.Robin, well, he may not be as good as Fortus, but he's cool and soulful, and he fucking rocks.

My other 2 cents...

If All I Knew Was That With You I'd Want Someone To Save Me, It'd Be Enough.
estranged.1098
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2004, 07:27:58 PM »

.Robin, well, he may not be as good as Fortus, but he's cool and soulful, and he fucking rocks.

You're damn right. Robin's playing in any solo, Mr. Brownstone, SCOM, The Blues, is simply amazing to watch.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2004, 07:29:35 PM by estranged.1098 » Logged
W 23 Axl
Headliner

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2004, 08:08:17 PM »

I said Buckethead was the only person who could have replaced Slash......

and you named all these other 80s and 90s has-beens.....

what i meant was, in terms of presence, style, look, playability - YES, Buckethead filled in all those elements. Part of what made Slash great was not only his playing, but his look (the hat, the cigarettes, the no-shirt, the hair) he had an image...

Sorry, but i don't want some faggot from Dream Theater playing in Guns n Roses, with his faggy 80s and 90s image of some guy in a coffee shop with his lap top and notebook for poems

.....Buckethead succeeded in taking people's minds off of Slash....he had his own image, and played amazing. He had a great stage look and attracted attention. Its called "The total package".....playing great doesn't just do it, there's alot more.

Hey, I think Fortus is atleast a better player then Robin, but come on....he's your average rock wanna-be on stage...but whatever, he's only taking the rhythm guitar space anyway....fortus, gilby....whats the difference?HuhHuh?? same look, same shit...u can go up n down Sunset n find those kinds of guitar players all over...its that generic guitarist look.....

- Greg
Gunner Fucker
Axl's Yes Man
Headliner

Bucketwho?

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2004, 09:58:08 PM »

what i meant was, in terms of presence, style, look, playability - YES, Buckethead filled in all those elements. Part of what made Slash great was not only his playing, but his look (the hat, the cigarettes, the no-shirt, the hair) he had an image...

Sorry, but i don't want some faggot from Dream Theater playing in Guns n Roses, with his faggy 80s and 90s image of some guy in a coffee shop with his lap top and notebook for poems

.....Buckethead succeeded in taking people's minds off of Slash....he had his own image, and played amazing. He had a great stage look and attracted attention. Its called "The total package".....playing great doesn't just do it, there's alot more.

Hey, I think Fortus is atleast a better player then Robin, but come on....he's your average rock wanna-be on stage...but whatever, he's only taking the rhythm guitar space anyway....fortus, gilby....whats the difference?HuhHuh?? same look, same shit...u can go up n down Sunset n find those kinds of guitar players all over...its that generic guitarist look.....

Well, 80's and 90's has beens..... First off, you would indeed say that about Buckethead if it was one of those "has-beens" who would have taken over Slash's lead playing role. All these musicians actually keep making some good music you know, AS Buckethead, so i see no point in what you're saying. Each has his own style to me, each has its own... "Total Package"(gimme a break) if you wanna call it that way man...

Now, as for Fortus (who, for the record, is not my "average rock wanna-be on stage"), I assume you haven't quite heard him soloing, or else you wouldn't be comparing him with Gilby. Richard is an outstanding lead player, with a well developed picking technique; a man who studied, not another street player "you could find on Sunset blvd". Anyway, it's your opinion and I don't friggin' intend to change it, and really, no offense, but I think there's a little misjudgement in your statements.

beer
« Last Edit: July 09, 2004, 08:03:28 AM by Gunner Fucker » Logged

If All I Knew Was That With You I'd Want Someone To Save Me, It'd Be Enough.
KeVoRkIaN
VIP

Resident Doctor

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2004, 10:45:07 PM »

-John Petrucci, Joe Satriani, Greg Howe, Richie Kotzen, you name them....

Let's add Chuck Berry Jimmy Page and some more old farts.....

Really - I think he is adjusting a PA for hiis ear - if that sounds strange - see the original topic that got strayed from.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2004, 10:46:20 PM by KeVoRkIaN » Logged

NEW MEMBERS: CLICK ON THIS PAGE! http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php

Starts Now is An Understatement!!!!!!
estranged.1098
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2004, 11:40:32 PM »

Finck has plenty "presence, style, look, playability". If you happen to think he's a "faggot" - oh well, he's the faggot who is the guitarist of Guns N' Roses. Basically we can discuss all day if you like him but it's kind of pointless.

egobrain?
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2004, 01:55:09 AM »

Man it sounds more like some type of reverb or voice effect maybe a delay or something. I think he uses it because he can't make the screams go as long or as loud anymore and he needs it, that is why you didn't see it in the UYI days because he didn't need it then, I think it is definatly some sort of voice effect though.
Skeletor
Paha keisari
Legend

Oyez! Oyez!

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2004, 02:18:59 AM »

Haha, have to step up for John Petrucci here.. First of all, there's nothing 80's about him, or faggy for that matter. Also, he's way too talented to play for GNR, so don't worry man, you won't be seeing him in the roster.

This is what he'd always known
The promise of something greater beyond the water's final horizon
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2004, 09:38:08 AM »

Man it sounds more like some type of reverb or voice effect maybe a delay or something. I think he uses it because he can't make the screams go as long or as loud anymore and he needs it, that is why you didn't see it in the UYI days because he didn't need it then, I think it is definatly some sort of voice effect though.

Have you been to a G'n'R show? Cause I was blow away by how incredible he sang in Toronto. He didn't seem to have a problem with screaming loud or long.
And I've heard stuff in the UYI days and he was better in 2002 than in any of the shows I've seen and heard in 1992

WagMyDog
doesn't HATE big boobs
VIP

Tyr's hand...

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2004, 09:56:58 AM »

Have you heard Dream Theater? Don't assume what you don't know ... And don't even get me started on your choice of insult.

No.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2004, 10:37:48 AM »

OMG you did NOT just insult Joe Satriani.  The guy can play rings around about 99.9% of the guitarists alive on this fucking planet.... The man is a guitar virtuoso.

You wanna argue image, fine.  But the guy (and others mentioned) are fucking legends.  A little respect wouldn't be unwarrented. Smiley

Edit: If you want so see some KICK ASS guitar, pick up the G3 DVD.  Vai, Malmsteen, and Satriani. KICK ASS.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2004, 10:41:12 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
W 23 Axl
Headliner

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2004, 12:52:29 PM »

you are missing my point....

how many amazing guitarists are out there? it doesn't matter how good you are, its combining all the right elements.

if i was a librarian, maybe i'd be interested in Dream Theater and that over-indulged crap. i don't wanna hear Joe Satriani play 8000 notes a minute, i wanna see the entire image and rock star.

put it this way: loser 36yr old men like Satriani

chicks and the youth STILL consider Slash to be cool and a great guitarist

which would u rather have? loser dorks counting how many notes u just played, or hot chicks and mtv/vh1 down with you after all these years...

come on man, there's no excitement if petrucci or however u spell his name, comes out on stage. he probably looks like a school teacher anyway. but if Slash or Bucket walked out, people start to stare and they are hooked. its the WHOLE PACKAGE....its called MARKETABLILITY

i don't wanna hear Opeth and Dream Theater and other long, over-indulged, drawn out solos and the same shit over n over. give me a kick ass rocker with a low-slung les paul who barely knows what scale he's playing!

- Greg
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2004, 01:24:48 PM »

i don't wanna hear Opeth and Dream Theater and other long, over-indulged, drawn out solos and the same shit over n over. give me a kick ass rocker with a low-slung les paul who barely knows what scale he's playing!

I don't wanna hear the same old Buckethead this, Slash that in a thread that has nothing to do with that subject. So get back on topic and take your Buckethead vs Slash discussion to the Dead Horse section.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: