Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 12:27:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228555 Posts in 43275 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Contraband's GOES GOLD!!!
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Contraband's GOES GOLD!!!  (Read 9163 times)
matt88
Riding The Nightrain
Legend

Slash is the King

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2004, 08:14:00 AM »

I don't think contraband is the type of caliber to be a MASSIVE seller.

For an album thats released in an indusrty thats dominated by Hip Hop n, Rap and the quality of the album. I don't think it should be selling like the Illusions or Appetite.

"I've been draggin my heels with a bitch called hope let the undercurrent drag me along"
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2004, 08:16:59 AM »

Here's a sign VR's hardly slumping...

See #'s 1 and 18...

http://www.kroq.com/music/mostplayedhome.html

Yeah, VR has two songs on the top 20 on one of the most influential modern rock radio stations in the US but Contraband sales are dropping big time. What's the problem then?

VR needs to release a new single ( video included) - despite Slither's first position at KROQ ( apperantly that is not enought to keep the momentum/sales) - and a couple of perfomances here and there ( Leno and TRL) to get the momentum back.
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2004, 08:25:43 AM »

For an album thats released in an indusrty thats dominated by Hip Hop n, Rap and the quality of the album. I don't think it should be selling like the Illusions or Appetite.

That's no excuse. Great albums do well regardless what the music industry dictaminates. Look at GNR back in 87. Music was dominated then by the likes Michael Jackson, Madonna, George Michael, Rick Astley, Bobby Macferrin (sp?), Whitney Houston....but GNR has sold 16 million albums. Look at Nirvana back in 91 when music was dominated by Guns N' Roses and Mariah Carey sold 10 Million with a totally different music concept.

I don't think industry patterns really matter. If an album breaks through it becomes unstopable regardless.
matt88
Riding The Nightrain
Legend

Slash is the King

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2004, 10:52:07 AM »

That's no excuse. Great albums do well regardless what the music industry dictaminates. Look at GNR back in 87. Music was dominated then by the likes Michael Jackson, Madonna, George Michael, Rick Astley, Bobby Macferrin (sp?), Whitney Houston....but GNR has sold 16 million albums. Look at Nirvana back in 91 when music was dominated by Guns N' Roses and Mariah Carey sold 10 Million with a totally different music concept.

I don't think industry patterns really matter. If an album breaks through it becomes unstopable regardless.

Point taken.

But Contraband isn't going to change the music scene the way GN'R did with Appetite or the way Nirvana did with Nevermind.

Great albums of course, but Contraband is no way in the same league as the above 2 albums.

People here expected to much of this record sales wise.

"I've been draggin my heels with a bitch called hope let the undercurrent drag me along"
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2004, 11:39:13 AM »

Of course not. Contraband is not revolutionary. Even the biggest VR die-hard fans around here ( Jizzo, Falc, Booker..) seem to really like the album but don't label it as a master piece. A good, decent hard-rock album, that's all.

If you wanna be big, be pretentious. Have something to say.
This album has a lot of "pretending" instead.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2004, 11:40:46 AM by Chinasky » Logged
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2004, 12:10:59 PM »

Sales aren't great for this thing - which is somewhat bizarre - the promotion seems to have been there (unless you live in the UK where i am still yet to hear anything about the band apart from various editorials damning Scott Weiland no)

500,000 just isn't that good - its going to really struggle to hit platinum

Not sure what went wrong

You understand thats 500,000 in 4 weeks, right?  What are you expecting?

Well sales are always best in the first month but always fall away quickly (as everyone who is going to buy the album most likely already has)

Therefore its really going to strugle to get to platinum status

But straight to the point - 500,000 sales would be great if we teamed up and put out an album but that is not an impresive figure for a major new act backed by strong promotion and already possesing millions of people intrested in the various members work.....

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2004, 12:17:36 PM »

Guys!! Come on man.... Contraband hasn't sold Usher's numbers, I mean I hate rap and hip hop but this is the first true rock band since 3 Doors Down.

Rock bands just don't sell AWESOME anymore. Audioslave is only at 2 or 3 million in the states and that is over 2 years after the release. It will sell fine, but not AFD type of numbers. If this record came out 8 years ago, it would have almost 2 million already by now, it's a awesome album, just the times don't reflect the band's talent, just the sales.

ROCK ON VR!

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2004, 12:28:25 PM »

I think the over analyzation of sales is getting a bit out of hand, the comparison to these long gone by eras is hardly a good barometer, the industry has changed way too much since then to cite the instances above as any qualified points of reference.

A good bet is that RCA is extremely happy with the progress of VR, they'd be less than smart if they weren't.  Can anyone think of a recent "rock" record of new material by a new band that has hit gold status in only 4 weeks of release?

The only fair comparison is the obvious, Audioslave, which by all accounts has been deemed highly successful.  VR's early success has been at least equal to that of "Slave so lets not get too freaky just yet and leave the industry stategy (single releases and whatnot) to the fellas who to this point in time have made absolutely every correct decision is the presentation of Velvet Revolver.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
jabba2
VIP

« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2004, 03:10:01 AM »

In the age of the internet i doubt Contraband will see 2X Platinum within a couple years. I would be shocked if it reaches 2X in 1 year. Check out edonkey or any bit torrent. There is 100's of copys Contraband available. Im guessing it hurts record sales 30% It could be even higher.
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2004, 02:12:18 PM »

I think the over analyzation of sales is getting a bit out of hand
Wait till CD comes out. Im sure there will be hourly and daily sales reports. Grin

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
BucketHeadRulez
Opening Act

Here I go again on my own!

« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2004, 07:17:04 PM »

Gold is a good start for them I seen on VH1 where Slither was making a slow climb on their charts,and it was 17 or 16 I am not for sure but it was making a climb to the top! Hell it is hard for anything but rap to sell nowadays,but I think VR is making a strong case! I like to listen to rap from time to time but I also want some Rock and Roll and VR is the closest thing we have to rock next 3 Doors Down!

Plus we live in the age were the internet has made getting music very easy,and I would have to say it also has damage their sells too but still it is at Gold! Slowly it is climbing to  platinum as for as the releasing another single out I would wait on that one!
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: