Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 05:34:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Behind The Music: GN'R (post your comments here)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Behind The Music: GN'R (post your comments here)  (Read 87569 times)
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #100 on: July 05, 2004, 10:42:51 AM »

I am still seeing some bitching on here about the tremendous vision Axl had to get them to sign the name over and how they were retards for doing it and should have stood up to him. Slash argued they did that because Axl was threatening to blow the band up, and as Slash said..."we did it just to keep the thing going. If we didn't the band would have ended right there." What would everyone had preferred....them standing up to Axl and the band ending right then and there? Or Them doing what they did to keep the thing going as long as it did. For the all the bad that is spewed about the ex-gunners, when I watched that part I have a new appreciation for them doing what they did to keep the band going for the sake of the fans. We all know Axl would have quit the band right then and there had they balked. I just feel bad they get screwed for trying to keep their livelihood going and keep the fans happy. Keep this scene in mind next time people run off praising Axl for getting them to sign the name over.
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #101 on: July 05, 2004, 11:03:16 AM »

What would everyone had preferred....them standing up to Axl and the band ending right then and there?
If they were smart they wouldnt have signed it. And let the band end right there....

Gnr was the biggest band in the world at that point. Do you honestly think Axl would have held out for more than a few months? Not a chance. He would be stupid. Plus even if he did, he would have looked like a complete ass to the public and would be much hated.

Or Them doing what they did to keep the thing going as long as it did. For the all the bad that is spewed about the ex-gunners, when I watched that part I have a new appreciation for them doing what they did to keep the band going for the sake of the fans.
Ok so give them a parade. Axl wanted the band rights so that when the band broke up,when and if that ever came, he could have the option of doing whatver he wanted with it.

He wanted it for security reasons.

I just feel bad they get screwed for trying to keep their livelihood going and keep the fans happy. Keep this scene in mind next time people run off praising Axl for getting them to sign the name over.
Um, if im not mistaken, their liveyhood is making and playing music correct?
What part of all there side projects,snakepit, Vr etc is not doing that?

Dont forget all the money thats pouring in fromn their gnr sales they get each paycheck....

No1 is praising Axl for what he did. He did it and thats it. Nothing more nothing less. The band went on after that.

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #102 on: July 05, 2004, 11:28:29 AM »

Slash admits that it was him that Axl was talking about then I'll never forgive Axl for calling him out, too!!! rant   Slash would've been dead years ago and we wouldn't have to listen to all his bullshit lies and whining if Axl didn't force him to quit using.

Firstly, you say "we wouldn't have to listen to Slash's lies"......let me ask you, when did you change your name to we?

Secondly, you imply that we're (you're) better off with Slash dead because you think he doesn't tell the truth?

Jesus H. Christ, just when I thought I'd seen the absolute extent of all the ignorant, fanatical Slash hatred, out of the blue comes your asinine, callous, heartless shit of a post.  I don't typically resort to personal stabs, but you need to change your user name, because Gypsy, you have no Soul.

Relax, Dizzy... We (me and my multiple-personalities) don't really wish Slash dead.  We just wanted to see which member would be the first one freaked by that.  hihi   Congratulations on your success!!!  ok

I just found it ironic that the main thing that probably forced Slash to face the fact that he had a serious drug problem and forced him to clean his act up or he would probably have been dead years ago, is the thing that he says he hates Axl for and will never forgive him for.

And, yes, I think Slash is a habitual liar.  yes

P.S.  I have a soul ... I also have a very sick sense of humor, too.  Tongue
*singing* I want to rock your gypsy soul... Just like way back in the days of old... Then magnificently we will float into the mystic...
-Van Morrison  Smiley

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #103 on: July 05, 2004, 01:22:46 PM »

whats all this shit bout management denying this?

i havent saw a press release from them sayin that and i am no longer believing anything from any "insider" on the board

call it being naive and ignorant but im still stayin excited over this

only scenario i can see is this

1.axl does intend to release it in nov hence VH1 reported news they got straight from uncle axl's mouth

2.management axl etc just threw vh1 that date as a hopeful type situation cause they didnt want "there is still no release date for c.d." to be on the show which would disappoint fans

3. vh1 took that date off speculation and rumor

i dismiss the 3rd one, no self respecting company would ever use heresay and rumor and present it as fact

so its the either two

for someone to say management denies it, i dont understand, cause im believing VH1 over any person on a board cause fuck someone had to tell them that, right?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2004, 01:25:46 PM by D » Logged

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Annie
« Reply #104 on: July 05, 2004, 01:51:49 PM »

:DAll in all, I think the show was very well done. It affirms a few things for me.       1. Axl is the Beethoven of rock music and whatever masterpiece he creates will be worth the wait. 2. The split between Axl and  Slash is in the same league as the split between Lennon and McCartney, and I doubt the original lineup will ever reunite. 3. I think Axl could succeed as a solo artist, but the Guns nRoses name means alot to him and he deserves the rights to it. 4. The old band members are still bitter about money. 5. People  everywhere will continue to battle over control no matter what their station in life. 6. I don't particuarly care for Velvet  Revolver, but I think Scott Weiland is a talented artist like Eminem, even though I don't particuarly care for rap music, and if Velvet Revolver becomes huge I wonder what ego struggles will occur there. 7. Axl is so damn cute! peace                                        
SINSHINE
VIP

"I knew the storm was getting closer!"

« Reply #105 on: July 05, 2004, 02:03:03 PM »

Finally caught it! Like some of you, I thought it was slated for midnight on July 4th (didn't notice the "pm" in there  Tongue )

Overall...an okay BTM, but not the BTM I would have liked to have seen them do on Guns N' Roses.

Why?

Uh, Traci Guns...apparently he just never existed and had nothing to do with the name "Guns N' Roses" either  Roll Eyes

Wasn't there a guy...I think he played guitar and his name was Izzy or something like that? Apparently he was an unimportant element of this band too because they had all of 3 seconds worth of mentioning him.

I realize they needed to brush over quite a bit in order to "tell the story" inside an hour (48 minutes if you discount the commercials), but I still feel like they could've done more. Although I do feel it was a bit one sided (against Axl, that is) I'm glad that he decided not to participate in it now. I don't think they would've changed too much and Axl would've just looked like he was trying to defend himself in the final edit.

All in all, if you don't know the story of Guns N' Roses, don't rely on this BTM. However, if you just want to check out some cool footage of the band that you might have missed or haven't seen in ten years, definitely give it a watch.

Oh, and as far as Chinese Democracy being slated for November...I certainly hope so, but I'll believe it when they finally get that giant bad ball in full motion and it's chasing after me ala Indiana Jones style  peace

"You could have a steam train...if you'd just lay down your tracks!" - P. Gabriel
Bucketofguns
Rocker

Proud down loading motherfucker

« Reply #106 on: July 05, 2004, 02:37:42 PM »

It was too short and they left a ton of stuff out, but they did a good job for an hour.

Why no mention of Tracii Guns?

Why no mention on how "November Rain" came to be, I want to find out how it started as a 15 minute acoustic thing to a big piano power ballad.

How did they get the novermber release date for CD???

Dizzy
« Reply #107 on: July 05, 2004, 02:47:17 PM »

Tracii Guns?  Are you guys serious?  This episode was about Guns N Roses.  Yeah, Tracii may have contributed the name Guns, but that was all he contributed.  Save Tracii for the L.A. Guns episode.

Where the name Guns N Roses originated is not important.  What is important is the meaning they brought to it, and the five originals gave that name more meaning than Tracii Guns ever did or could.
spiderman
Rocker

i can feel my spider sense....

« Reply #108 on: July 05, 2004, 03:28:09 PM »

maybe vh1 got there info from buckethead (well, you never know) any other suggestions?
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #109 on: July 05, 2004, 03:28:41 PM »

Tracii Guns?  Are you guys serious?  This episode was about Guns N Roses.  Yeah, Tracii may have contributed the name Guns, but that was all he contributed.  Save Tracii for the L.A. Guns episode.

Where the name Guns N Roses originated is not important.  What is important is the meaning they brought to it, and the five originals gave that name more meaning than Tracii Guns ever did or could.

It was the history of the band and they failed to mention GN'R existed before Slash and Steven joined.

Hollywood Rose was mentioned briefly, so why not mention how GN'R started?

Now you might get the impression that GN'R was started by Slash and Steven.....

Dizzy, by your logic, VR shouldn't have been mentioned at all? They also managed to skip the fact that Duff, Matt and Slash were all in other bands between GN'R and VR.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Slashisthebest
Headliner

Best Record Ever Made, Plain and Simple!

« Reply #110 on: July 05, 2004, 03:36:47 PM »

It's always humorous how everybody always accused me of being biased towards the ex-Gunners, when we have posters like this who are pre-dispositioned to "protect Axl's ass" at all costs, even if it means outlandishly distorting what an ex-Gunner said.

Nobody is protecting "Axl 's ass" , but you're protecting Ex-gunners ass.
First if Slash said that When he was with Steven that was when Guns started for him, sorry, but that doesn't mean that in his mind, Slash thought that he was in GNR.  So if I got this band in which I'm the last member to get there and we become very famous,  and then  I say in public TV that this group started for me few years ago before I knew these guys. But maybe you're right.

And also if I recall correctly didn't Steven or Slash said : "Dude, we have to gat those two guys and we're going to rock". Am  I lying? Am I distortioning what he/they said?

Also if you're wife doesn't go with you to the places you want and you cheat many times. I bet you're going to say that if you're wife would have accepted go with you, you wouldn't have cheated. So what that implies?
Anyway, Dizzy you're a really fun dude.

peace

Slash didn't mean that's when Guns started for him.  He doesnt mean that he thinks he's Guns N' Roses.  What he meant was that, he met Steve Adler and htere is 2/5 of GNR and then he met the rest of them so that would make GNR concret.  I think you might have mis represented what he was saying dude.  

For everyone else out there, do jump to conclusions so quick.

Slashisthebest

Top Hat + Bottle of Jack + Les Paul + Marshall Jubilee Stack = Slash
Dizzy
« Reply #111 on: July 05, 2004, 04:17:50 PM »

It was the history of the band and they failed to mention GN'R existed before Slash and Steven joined.

GNR only existed in a preliminary state.  Not the complete lineup that everyone knows.

Hollywood Rose was mentioned briefly, so why not mention how GN'R started?

Because VH-1 only had an hour, that's why.   Smiley

Now you might get the impression that GN'R was started by Slash and Steven.....

Not if you listened carefully.  If you judge by the info the show provided, you'll understand that it really got rolling when Slash and Steven met Hollywood Rose (Axl and Izzy), and then recruited Duff.  That's the lineup we all know as Guns N Roses.  Tracii Guns is moot to that equation, even if he gave them the name "Guns".

Dizzy, by your logic, VR shouldn't have been mentioned at all?

No, because Tracii Guns was never a "member" of Guns N Roses.  When the band signed with Geffen, it was the AFD lineup who signed, thus becoming the official Guns N Roses.  Everyone knows this.

And VR were mentioned because they contain two original GNR members and GNR replacement Matt Sorum, essentially letting the viewers know what the ex-Gunners are up to now.

They also managed to skip the fact that Duff, Matt and Slash were all in other bands between GN'R and VR.

As I said, they had only an hour.  I mentioned earlier some other stuff they skipped, such as the fact that Izzy has been releasing little-heard solo albums since his departure, and that Steven has a new band as well.  If people looked to BTM for information on Steven, they would think he dropped off the face of the earth after GNR.  So in summation, what's your point?  They left out all sorts of shit.  My point about Tracii Guns was that he was not significant enough to be mentioned, especially when there was a limited time to cover the really important details.  Just because he contributed the name Guns doesn't mean he did anything for the band.  The AFD lineup are the individuals that made the name Guns N Roses mean something, not Tracii Guns.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #112 on: July 05, 2004, 04:46:28 PM »

Gilby was part of it and he wasn't in the line up that signed with Geffen..... Neither was Ted Andreadis.

Obviously Spin magazine thought he had animportant part enough since they interviewed in him 1999. If Tracii wasn't fired in 1985, who knows if Slash would ever played in a band with Axl.  Tongue

Maybe I'm the only one who's interested in the early days of the band and these details might bore everybody else.  Grin

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #113 on: July 05, 2004, 04:54:15 PM »

Regarding the "sign the name over to me or its over" story...

Duff and Slash's lawsuit says that the 1992 Guns N' Roses partnership agreement between Axl, Slash, and Duff included a clause that if Axl was to either quit or be fired that he would retain the rights to the name Guns N' Roses.  

How does this 'fit in' with the piece of paper shoved under their noses backstage scenario?

Something as crucial as the partnership agreement which not only included proposed terms for separation, but also set the parameters for the control of the band's ongoing operations (ie: the clause that deemed Slash & Axl to have equal voting power on licensing decisions with Duff having a deciding vote in the event of a deadlock)... I'd would be a reasonable assumption that such a docment that was:
a) professionally drafted and reviewed by each's respective legal counsel
b) signed in the prescense of witnesses
c) properly recorded in the county of partnership

It is also my understanding that IF someone were to 'give into' an agreement under extreme duress or not of sound mind (under the influence?) they would have a case for having the agreement nullified.  Which has obviously not taken place.

So what's the deal?
Annie
« Reply #114 on: July 05, 2004, 05:49:31 PM »

: :DEva, you totally rock!
Jizzo
Legend

Everytime,I'm falling down, Please take me home

« Reply #115 on: July 05, 2004, 05:57:58 PM »

Tracii is thanked in the BTM credits.

You know what to do, you know what I did
Since you know everything, just clue me in
I am such a wreck, I am such a mess
I know what I know - why don't you fill in the rest?
Captain Obvious
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #116 on: July 05, 2004, 06:13:15 PM »

It was probably some lazy writers that went "meh...november sounds good enough"

Honestly, we all know that everything in the GnR tent boils down to Axl. If Axl did not participate in VH1, I doubt he would ever tell them the release date. It could be Geffen but it means nothing if it didn't come from Axl's mouth - if he doesn't want to release it in November, I strongly doubt we will see it in November.
tanya
Opening Act

I'm a goddess

« Reply #117 on: July 05, 2004, 11:06:46 PM »

I just finished watching it and they dont really get into too much detail. I really missed hearing from AXl

IM an earth goddess
Mr Cowbell ?
Legend

HTGTH Powerslam Champion / Former WWE Game Champ

« Reply #118 on: July 06, 2004, 01:11:45 AM »

Yeah i felt alot of the facts didnt line up.

The tracii guns thing would of added alot after on most BTM they tell why or how they picked their name.

There was no mention of Dizzy at all. I think Dizzy is as important as Gilby, I know Axl probalby wouldnt let him participate, but they gave no mention at all to him.

They didnt mention too much about Duff's pancrease exploding, (or did I miss that) an event that almost killed him.

They never mentioned "Live like a suicide."

I know they only have 48 minutes to work with but there story of GnR paints it completely different.  Angry

smoking Great for old pictures

crying For any useful facts

hihi
         Cool   rant    Tongue

smoking

Ron Jeremy - BEND OVER.
NickNasty
Tha Nastiest
VIP

Alive.

« Reply #119 on: July 06, 2004, 02:23:58 AM »

Also forgot the Hell Tour, The Vince-Neil Axl feud, mentions of band sideprojects, etc.....we could go on, but, really in order to tell the story of GNR, you need 2 hours, and interviews with everyone involved from Hollywood Rose up until nu-GNR and VR....and they didn't have the time or need for that...this was  ratings grabbing just for the name recogintion and conterversy it would stir up.

---Nick Nasty--

Boston, MA 12/2/02          Worcester, MA 11/8/06

Dublin, Ireland 6/9/06       E. Rutherford, NJ 7/23/2016
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: