Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 06:23:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  STUDIO CUTS: Let's talk about them!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: STUDIO CUTS: Let's talk about them!  (Read 15998 times)
vicarious existence
Rocker

It's been 14 years of silence...

« Reply #60 on: November 08, 2004, 10:52:17 PM »

on Madagascar you can hear that the guitars are doubled, a kind of "wall of sound". You can hear different levels in the guitar sound, like a superposition of different guitar works, and a strong orchestration on the rythmic part. The voice is perfectly mixed (same in the blues). I know it could be difficult to understand for most of people. Myself I wouldn't have undestood that if I hadn't done studio sessions.
I can see what you're saying... I mean I'm no expert or anything at all, but I agree with the voice quality and "wall of sound" stuff... it sounds too good. The intro riff to CD sounds insanely clean too, with no crowd noise in the background at all as far as I can tell.

IamRyanDean: Axl just walked out on stage, dropped his pants, pissed all over the front row and then left.  mumbled somethign about "how is that for a leak fuckers"
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #61 on: November 09, 2004, 04:39:55 PM »

on Madagascar you can hear that the guitars are doubled, a kind of "wall of sound". You can hear different levels in the guitar sound, like a superposition of different guitar works, and a strong orchestration on the rythmic part. The voice is perfectly mixed (same in the blues). I know it could be difficult to understand for most of people. Myself I wouldn't have undestood that if I hadn't done studio sessions.
I can see what you're saying... I mean I'm no expert or anything at all, but I agree with the voice quality and "wall of sound" stuff... it sounds too good. The intro riff to CD sounds insanely clean too, with no crowd noise in the background at all as far as I can tell.
Yeah. And the crowd noise in Maddie and The Blues are fake. All the other songs were used in their studio version too.
Nesquick, I understand what you said. I'm not pro, but I can hear those things... I made a Madagascar cover with a friend (you can download it here and tried to emulate the guitar sounds, with my tidbits. Some guitar work made by Finck and Fortus are really cool, but only people with good ears can hear that in soundboards.  yes

nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #62 on: November 09, 2004, 05:21:59 PM »

Some guitar work made by Finck and Fortus are really cool, but only people with good ears can hear that in soundboards
I'm? mad of that. now that's like a game for me: I try to isolate each instrument in my head and hear methodicly how each sounds. for example? did you know that there is accoustic guitar in "november rain"? during the 2 first Slash guitar solos, there is acoustic guitar in rythmic. Wink.
It's funny to "discover" musical parts that 99% of people will never hear Cheesy. it's like if I was in studio with Axl and that I discovered the songwriting process of the song? hihi
« Last Edit: November 09, 2004, 05:34:39 PM by nesquick » Logged

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
loretian
VIP

It would take a lot more time than you...

« Reply #63 on: November 09, 2004, 05:33:15 PM »

for example? did you know that there is accoustic guitar in "november rain"? during the 2 first Slash guitar solos, there is acoustic guitar in rythmic. Wink.

Wow, I never heard that before.  It's definitely there.  Very cool.

If I start to break down, it's from the love that I've found
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #64 on: November 09, 2004, 05:35:39 PM »

Some guitar work made by Finck and Fortus are really cool, but only people with good ears can hear that in soundboards
I'm? mad of that. now that's like a game for me: I try to isolate each instrument in my head and hear methodicly how each sounds. for example? did you know that there is accoustic guitar in "november rain"? during the 2 first Slash guitar solos, there is acoustic guitar in rythmic. Wink.
It's funny to "discover" musical parts that 99% of people will never hear Cheesy. it's like if I was in studio with Axl and that I discovered the songwriting process of the song? hihi

Agreed! I'm always doing that! I know about the accoustic guitar in November Rain (SCOM and Breakdown has it too).
Two ex: Fortus amazing rhythm guitar in The Blues chorus (you can hear it well in Boston soundboard or in Osaka bootleg) and Finck licks in Buckethead's solo in Madagascar.
Oh, and my two favourites rhythm guitars (both Izzy's work): Rocket Queen and One In A Million. Two awesome guitar work!
I wish any GNR album (even the old ones) had 5.1 sound... It would be really sweet.  yes

nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

« Reply #65 on: November 09, 2004, 06:06:44 PM »

Agreed! I'm always doing that! I know about the accoustic guitar in November Rain (SCOM and Breakdown has it too).
I'm sure I am able to discover more things than you? Grin I discovered that too on sweet child o' mine (accoustic guitar). You know I try to form a Rock band in Paris but everytime I jam with musicians I have the impression they are "weak". not technically, but in their conception of music (exept an extraordinary guitar player and an amazing pianist who has composed over 50 songs in piano? Shocked). I always have 10 times more ideas than the rest of the band. Once a band gave me their best track and I said "here is my ideas to improve it", I spoke 5 minutes, and then I heard fucking silence, I stopped, looked at them: they were blown away,? they told me "where do you find all these ideas" and I said "I don't know!"? peace.
You know I've never made music in my life, I mean A, B C D etc...I don't know what it is, but I know how to make something sounds good. ok (and when I say that "oh my god" sounds bad believe me it sounds bad!)
In my head, I have songs that could be phenomenal. Do you know Carmina Burana? ok, something as strong as that, with a Rock vibe do you see what I mean? But having them in the head in one thing, making them in real is another thing. This is amazingly difficult... drool
« Last Edit: November 09, 2004, 06:20:51 PM by nesquick » Logged

Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #66 on: November 09, 2004, 06:33:09 PM »

I'm sure I am able to discover more things than you? Grin I discovered that too on sweet child o' mine (accoustic guitar). You know I try to form a Rock band in Paris but everytime I jam with musicians I have the impression they are "weak". not technically, but in their conception of music (exept an extraordinary guitar player and an amazing pianist who has composed over 50 songs in piano? Shocked). I always have 10 times more ideas than the rest of the band. Once a band gave me their best track and I said "here is my ideas to improve it", I spoke 5 minutes, and then I heard fucking silence, I stopped, looked at them: they were blown away,? they told me "where do you find all these ideas" and I said "I don't know!"? peace.
You know I've never made music in my life, I mean A, B C D etc...I don't know what it is, but I know how to make something sounds good. ok (and when I say that "oh my god" sounds bad believe me it sounds bad!)
In my head, I have songs that could be phenomenal. Do you know Carmina Burana? ok, something as strong as that, with a Rock vibe do you see what I mean? But having them in the head in one thing, making them in real is another thing. This is amazingly difficult... drool
Easy tiger. I'm not saying I can discover more things than you, I just said I like to do that too.
About OMG, I know the mix was crap. But the song is good for me, and I can hear that through the horrible mix.
I know some Carmina Burana stuff, but I though you liked only straight rock n' roll without classical sounds.  Roll Eyes
I actually made some music, and I'm always trying to make it less complicated in order to other people can play it. Actually, maybe I'm walking with the wrong people...  Undecided

nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

« Reply #67 on: November 09, 2004, 06:43:32 PM »

Easy tiger. I'm not saying I can discover more things than you, I just said I like to do that too.
About OMG, I know the mix was crap. But the song is good for me, and I can hear that through the horrible mix.
I know some Carmina Burana stuff, but I though you liked only straight rock n' roll without classical sounds.?
I actually made some music, and I'm always trying to make it less complicated in order to other people can play it. Actually, maybe I'm walking with the wrong people...?

1) I was joking come on? peace
2) hmm...yeah it could be the mix in fact.
3) oh no. I LOVE classical sound mixed with Rock n' Roll (bohemian rhapsody, november rain, madagascar... ). it sounds epic. I love everything (blues, jazz, disco, House music, bosanova, latino music, italian music etc...)? exept extreme things like big heavy metal (noize), or ultra hip hop or....Indus music. I took Salsa lessons 2 years ago? Smiley
4) a simple good rock song with a main guitar riff and a good guitar solo will always work ok

Do you know the song "blue hotel" by Chris Isaac? that guitar sound is phenomenal, like retro rock n' roll but incredibly well mixed. It sounds like if you were in a western. What a fantastic song. and the "pulp fiction" opening song soundtrack, do you see how the guitar sounds? that's what I also want to make. that kind of sound, but with a 2004 mix and a masterised global sound. That would be mind blowing drool
« Last Edit: November 09, 2004, 06:58:10 PM by nesquick » Logged

Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #68 on: November 09, 2004, 06:57:25 PM »

I know some Carmina Burana stuff, but I though you liked only straight rock n' roll without classical sounds.?
I actually made some music, and I'm always trying to make it less complicated in order to other people can play it. Actually, maybe I'm walking with the wrong people...?

1) I was joking come on? peace
2) hmm...yeah it could be the mix in fact.
3) oh no. I LOVE classical sound mixed with Rock n' Roll (bohemian rhapsody, november rain, madagascar... ). it sounds epic. I love everything (blues, jazz, disco, House music, bosanova, latino music, italian music etc...)? exept extreme things like big heavy metal (noize), or ultra hip hop or....Indus music. I took Salsa lessons 2 years ago? Smiley
4) a simple good rock song with a main guitar riff and a good guitar solo will always work ok

Do you know the song "blue hotel" by Chris Isaac? that guitar sound is phenomenal, like old retro but incredibly well mixed. What a fantastic song. and the "pulp fiction" opening song soundtrack, do you see how the guitar sounds? that's what I also want to make. that kind of sound, but with a 2004 mix and a masterised sound. That would be mind blowing... drool
Dunno about blue hotel and can't remember Pulp Fiction opening song, but I'll search for it.  yes
Hey, did you like OMG live? 'Cause I'm sure if the mix was good like in those studio cuts, this track would be way better!  Wink

nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

« Reply #69 on: November 09, 2004, 07:01:54 PM »

I think the problem in "oh my god" is the drums. it's too "sacad?". I can't tranlate in english. and the synthetizers sound bad, it sounds like a science fiction movie, like if we were in 3147, not in 2004. there are too much computer effects in that song. It's not enough "human" for a "rock song". but well, that's just my opinion.

Dunno about blue hotel

chris isaac "blue hotel". man that song is absolutely fantastic. put that song to a girl and she will fall in love with you within the next 5 seconds. I think it was in 1990. imagine you are in the desert, the night, with a girl, on road 66 driving in a red car...
« Last Edit: November 09, 2004, 07:12:59 PM by nesquick » Logged

Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #70 on: November 09, 2004, 07:39:24 PM »

I liked the OMG drums, it's heavy and unusual. The "disco" part is very cool to me.
The Synth parts sounds like they are supposed to sound, but they mixed the guitars way too compressed. It's like there's only one guitar sound in the rythm, you can't tell who's playing what. It's a wall, but in a bad way. It's a true mess... too much going on, but with no place to all this stuff.

nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

« Reply #71 on: November 10, 2004, 05:15:48 AM »

wasn't "oh my god" just a demo in 1999? I remember having heard that when it was released.
oh yeah and do you know the "eyes wide shut" soundtrack?
"baby did a bad bad thing..." I love that music style. that kind of guitar sound is very impressive in my opinion. If Axl could use it... Cheesy

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: