Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2024, 05:11:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228126 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Axl Rose The New Ozzy??
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Axl Rose The New Ozzy??  (Read 7402 times)
BenDrinking
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« on: July 02, 2004, 02:45:54 PM »

I was just wondering, why Axl doesn?t just forget about this GNR thing and go solo. I bet he could have a great solo career, just like Ozzy had after he left Black Sabbath. I just don't think trying to bring back GNR is going to work. There is too much pressure on Axl and there will be to may expectations (because it has been so long since anything from GNR has been released).

If Axl went solo, he could start fresh and there would be less pressure on him. He could release the music his is working on now, but come out as Axl Rose, not GNR. I believe most fans would accept him if he did this instead of trying to continue with the farce that is the ?New" GNR. Everyone knows GNR is Axl, Slash, Duff & Izzy, and no matter what Axl does, he will always be compared to his "Old" band.

So, if Axl went solo, I believe, it would relive the pressure and maybe we could see some new music from him. Then maybe (and this is a big maybe) in a couple of years, Axl, Slash, Duff & Izzy could come back together and play as GNR again. (Just like Ozzy now does with Black Sabbath).

Just some thoughts... what do you guys think. Could Axl have an Ozzy type career if he went solo??

Ben
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2004, 02:52:44 PM »

Alright, all is very simple: Axl uses the name "Guns n' Roses" because of record sales.
End of story.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2004, 02:53:31 PM by nesquick » Logged

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2004, 03:03:09 PM »

I think he uses it because he feels like it.   peace

No he owns the name so he can do what he likes with the name. He could hire Boyz 2 Men and sing in a Quintet and still call it Gunz and Rozez.  Grin

Regardless Axl feels he is Guns and he has some new guys and they are recording new stuff (apparently) and as long as he's singing it's guns! (to him anyway) and no matter what name he goes by he still has an amazing amount of pressure on him. If he doesn't produce something far superior to UYI's then it will be a bomb. Whether the album is called Guns n Roses Chinese Democracy or Axl Rose Chinese Democracy has little meaning. He's still the guy that fired the best band in the world then took 10+ years to make a follow-up so he better have a good fucking album to make up for it! ( I think that would be the general consensus anyway ). Me though, I just wanna hear him sing some new stuff!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2004, 03:09:29 PM by Neemo » Logged

Fuckin' Gunner
Kamikaze
Rocker

nightrain.cjb.net

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2004, 03:07:22 PM »

Yeah, but Ozzy had his ass kicked off from Black Sabbath, that's the only reason why he started a solo carrer...

And thanx god he found Randy Rhoads...

Stay Tuned for news and information on Chinese Democracy coming soon.
[posted 3/9/2003 U.S.A.]

Nightrain - O site mais perigoso do planeta
youngerformofaxl
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2004, 03:10:48 PM »

I was just wondering, why Axl doesn?t just forget about this GNR thing and go solo. I bet he could have a great solo career, just like Ozzy had after he left Black Sabbath. I just don't think trying to bring back GNR is going to work. There is too much pressure on Axl and there will be to may expectations (because it has been so long since anything from GNR has been released).

If Axl went solo, he could start fresh and there would be less pressure on him. He could release the music his is working on now, but come out as Axl Rose, not GNR. I believe most fans would accept him if he did this instead of trying to continue with the farce that is the ?New" GNR. Everyone knows GNR is Axl, Slash, Duff & Izzy, and no matter what Axl does, he will always be compared to his "Old" band.

So, if Axl went solo, I believe, it would relive the pressure and maybe we could see some new music from him. Then maybe (and this is a big maybe) in a couple of years, Axl, Slash, Duff & Izzy could come back together and play as GNR again. (Just like Ozzy now does with Black Sabbath).

Just some thoughts... what do you guys think. Could Axl have an Ozzy type career if he went solo??

Ben

How about the idea of Axl rose just being who Axl Rose is?
SOH
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2004, 03:23:19 PM »

Besides, Axl is about ten years older than Ozzy was when he left Black Sabbath. The market wouldn't buy him as a "newly formed solo band" at his age.
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2004, 03:29:44 PM »

What about Phil Collins, Eric Clapton, Paul McCartney and Sting. Weren't they all older when they went solo?

F*ck Fear
VIP

Getcha Pull!

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2004, 03:43:09 PM »

I don't think Axl should ditch the GN'R name......If he did I think it would add to all the media bullshit ripping him apart.
Plus Axl Rose on a record that's not named Guns N' Roses?
Come On

11/29/2002 Toronto Canada
11/15/2006 Toronto Canada
01/24/2010 Hamilton Canada
11/28/2011 Hamilton Canada
07/15/2013 Toronto Canada
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2004, 03:46:12 PM »

Alright, all is very simple: Axl uses the name "Guns n' Roses" because of record sales.
End of story.

That's fuckin' stupid.  It's pretty clear that Axl has alienated more fans over the last 5-6 years by KEEPING the name.  An "Axl Rose" solo album would sell just fine... He uses the name because he feels Guns N' Roses hasn't ended.  Whether you agree with that or not is up to you.
BenDrinking
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2004, 04:06:01 PM »

That's fuckin' stupid.  It's pretty clear that Axl has alienated more fans over the last 5-6 years by KEEPING the name.  An "Axl Rose" solo album would sell just fine... He uses the name because he feels Guns N' Roses hasn't ended.  Whether you agree with that or not is up to you.

See, that's what I think too. I think more fans would accept Axl if he went solo, instead of trying to keep the old GNR name alive.

If David Grohl and Chris Novoselic had continued with the name Nirvana it would have probably bombed. Fans would not accept Nirvana without Cobian. Instead, Grohl did the smart thing and started his own project (the Foo Fighters) and became very successful. Now, was the first Foo album that much different musically from Nirvana? No, but people bought into it because they didn't feel like they were being feed Nirvana without Cobain. This is exactly what Axl is doing. He is trying to push GNR without Slash, Izzy & Duff, and it's just not going to work.

Trust me, Axl would be much, much, much better off if he dropped the GNR name and went solo.

Ben
youngerformofaxl
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2004, 04:42:16 PM »

The Foo Fighters do not sound like Nirvana. Nirvana sounded like this angry,agressive negative band and the Foo Fighters sounded like (and still sound like) this more upbeat, positive band.
BenDrinking
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2004, 05:11:05 PM »

The Foo Fighters do not sound like Nirvana. Nirvana sounded like this angry,agressive negative band and the Foo Fighters sounded like (and still sound like) this more upbeat, positive band.

Yes, the later Foo stuff sound more upbeat & positive, but their first record sounded very much like Nirvana.

Anyway that's off topic.

Dizzy
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2004, 06:25:40 PM »

Whenever the name Ozzy Osbourne is mentioned, you people know I'm going to show up....   Cool

Yeah, but Ozzy had his ass kicked off from Black Sabbath, that's the only reason why he started a solo carrer...

Not entirely correct.  Ozzy actually departed Sabbath on his own accord in 1976 to start a solo career.  But the offer of a new Sabbath album was too alluring, so he opted to rejoin his already very successful band and do another album, which became Never Say Die in 1978, as of now, Black Sabbath's last full length studio album with Ozzy on vocals.  Ozzy said the experience was miserable and he wanted out from the time he came back in, and he eventually was fired.

Then he started his solo career.

And it really doesn't matter why he started his solo career, the fact is, he did, and he became twice as successful (if not as groundbreaking) as Black Sabbath.  His solo records have outsold Sabbath's records about 2 to 1.

Now back on topic, Axl Rose is waaaay too erratic to experience Ozzy's staying power.  Ozzy shows up on time, releases new albums, there aren't riots at his shows, and when he cancels shows, he makes an effort to reschedule them, and if he can't, he makes sure to give a detailed explanation to his fans.  All the above are some of the things that have made him a mainstay.  Sure, Axl is remembered, but the last 11 years have proven that Axl doesn't possess the mental capacity to be a mainstay.  The music makes you remembered, sure, but it doesn't guarantee you're going to stay at the top forever.

And yes, let the "Oh but Axl Rose's fans love him that way" commence.
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2004, 07:30:55 PM »

I was just wondering, why Axl doesn?t just forget about this GNR thing and go solo
As my quote says:
"you have to understand the reason axl has kept the name is because guns n roses hasnt ended...just some of the players decided not to evolve"

In Axls mind gnr hasnt ended. He has taken the responsibilities of going on with the name. Even if he went with a different name, the general public will still deem him the one who broke up gnr and any album he puts out would be compared to gnr and same with his band.
Instead he worked very hard for a number of years and as a result a band formed. They have made a shitload of material. Whether you think they are capable of making good material or releasing the material is a different story. Fact is they have busted their asses for years in that studio.
If Axl was truly a selfish prick he could have released a few subpar albums by now with a bunch of different muscicians. Hes made it his life to deliver the best dam album he can possibly make. Love him or hate him but you have to respect that quality.

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
AsXpLy
Rocker

guitar god

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2004, 07:52:40 PM »

i hope axl  leave guns n`roses name ... and made his own path.... or think about reunion.. otherwise he `s finished.... nervous

the 8TH AND FINAL RULE OF THE FIGHT CLUB IS:
IF IT?S YOUR FIRST NIGHT IN THE FIGHT CLUB.... YOU HAVE TO FIGHT!

[IMG]http://www.newgnr.com/bbs/images/avatars/gallery/gnr/axl19.gif[
jabba2
VIP

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2004, 08:19:33 PM »

Axl believes GNR is his band, thats why he forced the members to sign the name rights over to him before a concert many years ago. The GNR name means alot to him. But if he would have done techno solo records in the early 90's like the band members suggested, he would be more respected in the  industry and better off because of not feeling pressure from the GNR name.

He wants the name but doesnt want to release music that will tarnish the GNR image. He should have thought this over years ago and released a solo record thats just techno are whatever. Weiland released a solo tehcho/blues record and is working on another one, so he isnt distracted musically when working with STP/ VR like Axl appears to be.
Mr Cowbell ?
Legend

HTGTH Powerslam Champion / Former WWE Game Champ

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2004, 05:42:48 AM »

If David Grohl and Chris Novoselic had continued with the name Nirvana it would have probably bombed. Fans would not accept Nirvana without Cobian. Instead, Grohl did the smart thing and started his own project (the Foo Fighters) and became very successful. Now, was the first Foo album that much different musically from Nirvana? No, but people bought into it because they didn't feel like they were being feed Nirvana without Cobain.

WRONG, Dave Grohl, already had his songs written and was working on his solo ALBUM WHILE STILL IN NIRVANA. WHILE THEY WERE WAITING FOR KURT TO RECORD "You know you're right" He was starting his solo stuff. If kurt didnt kill himself there would still be Foo Fighters. Dave always said NIRVANA was Kurt and Chris project.

Ron Jeremy - BEND OVER.
Mr Cowbell ?
Legend

HTGTH Powerslam Champion / Former WWE Game Champ

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2004, 05:46:05 AM »

Thank god someone realizes that Ozzy has just been LUCKY. He's had one of the BEST guitarist ever. Randy (Over the Mountain,Crazy Train) Randy MADE OZZY. Tonny I. wasnt bad either, and Zack Wylde is pretty damn good.  IT IS WASNT FOR RHODES ozzzy wouldnt of had a great starting solo career.

Ron Jeremy - BEND OVER.
Fuckin' Gunner
Kamikaze
Rocker

nightrain.cjb.net

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2004, 02:20:43 PM »

Thank god someone realizes that Ozzy has just been LUCKY. He's had one of the BEST guitarist ever. Randy (Over the Mountain,Crazy Train) Randy MADE OZZY. Tonny I. wasnt bad either, and Zack Wylde is pretty damn good.  IT IS WASNT FOR RHODES ozzzy wouldnt of had a great starting solo career.

Yeah, you're right, bur Ozzy is very talented anyway.

Stay Tuned for news and information on Chinese Democracy coming soon.
[posted 3/9/2003 U.S.A.]

Nightrain - O site mais perigoso do planeta
BenDrinking
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2004, 04:18:24 PM »

WRONG, Dave Grohl, already had his songs written and was working on his solo ALBUM WHILE STILL IN NIRVANA. WHILE THEY WERE WAITING FOR KURT TO RECORD "You know you're right" He was starting his solo stuff. If kurt didnt kill himself there would still be Foo Fighters. Dave always said NIRVANA was Kurt and Chris project.

Now you just arguing symantics. My point before was that if Grohl & Novoselic would have contunued with the Nirvana name, they would have bombed becasue fans would not accept Nirvana without Cobain. I think both Grohl & Novoselic were smart enough to realize this. Unfortunatly Axl is not smat enough to realize that GNR is not GNR without the other members.

Two great band. One (Nirvana) did the right thing by ending. The other (GNR, and more specifically Axl), did the wrong thing by continuing and making a mockery of the GNR name.

Anyways I did't now the history behind the whole Nirvana/Foo Fighters thing so thanks for the history leason.

Ben
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: