Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 05:23:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228556 Posts in 43275 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Pigeonholed
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pigeonholed  (Read 21425 times)
madagas
« Reply #60 on: July 01, 2004, 08:19:48 PM »

Now that was fucking funny! You almost hit the nail on the head. Her and my daughter are over at Grandma's house. I am sitting here, bored, drinking Budweiser, and listening to that nut Bill O'Reilly. Good one Falcon. You win. Grin Grin
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #61 on: July 01, 2004, 08:41:02 PM »

It was never shoved down anyone's throat like Slither is. Big difference. yes

Not a fair comparison...A fair comparison would be "Set Me Free".  Like "OMG," there was no video or official single - just a soundtrack song hyped for merely existing.  The difference is, "Set Me Free" was a moderate radio hit, getting considerable play for most of last summer.
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #62 on: July 01, 2004, 08:42:00 PM »

You said it yourself, KROCK doesn't play them at all.

Why would they start?
Because GNr will be playing modern music that will probably be a lot better than the stuff on that station now.
Because the record company will push the album and singles very hard to major market radio stations such as krock
BEcause their will be a video to go a long with the single
because there will be an album to go along with the single
because there will be a tour to go along with the single and album

And because if its good kids will request it.

Lets just say its a masterpiece. just for arguments sake. Its a killer song and album. The video is a hit on mtv. And kids are calling in like crazy for it to be played. Your telling me krocks not going to play it because its gnr? EVen though its a totally different band and modern sound? hell fukin no...not only will I be listening to a great cd in CD, but ill also be waiting for a cool MM cd.

You can talk about these viable entities all you want. The fact is krock plays whats hot in music. That includes bands that have nothing to do with alternative music like jet, nickleback, the darkness etc. If GNR put out an amzing modern record, it will be played and it will be played a lot. BUt until it comes out and it happens or doesnt happen we can go back n forth till the end of time.....

Krock calls themself an alternative staton but their not. They play whatevr is rock and modern. Bring up thr old gnr stuff all yoiu want, fact is old gnr really isnt radio friendly. They are rarely played on q104.3 one of the country biggest classic rock stations. Its more of the material old gnr played ratehr than where they came from. Other then the hits from afd which krock would not play because that doesnt fit the format and the non "rock" type songs old gnr did like on the illusions are too strong for radio and krock format. Its more of the material than anything else. Old gnr material is kinda in the middle.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2004, 08:52:00 PM by younggunner » Logged

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

« Reply #63 on: July 01, 2004, 08:44:48 PM »

Not a fair comparison...A fair comparison would be "Set Me Free".  Like "OMG," there was no video or official single - just a soundtrack song hyped for merely existing.  The difference is, "Set Me Free" was a moderate radio hit, getting considerable play for most of last summer.
SMF lasted 2 months topps here in ny. Lets not go crazy. You are right they were both soundtrack songs that werent meant to make any type of impact regarding each bands album.

We have had this omg discussion a billion times.
I know many of you want to see this band fail, but until they put out a single/video/album and do all the promotional things a band does when releasing an album, then they havnt failed musically. When they do the above and it does jack shit, then yes new gnr will have failed commercially.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2004, 08:53:03 PM by younggunner » Logged

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #64 on: July 01, 2004, 08:53:17 PM »

STM lasted 2 months tops here in ny.

Like I said - most of last summer.  Tell me where I lost you...

The fact that it as played for more than a month, and it wasnt even a single, indicates to me - and anybody with a modicum of common sense - that the song was a moderate radio hit, just like I said.  Again, let me know where I lost you.

You are right they were both soundtrack songs that werent meant to make any type of impact regarding each bands album.

No, but they were both designed to generate some kind of interest, otherwise whats the point of even releasing them (unless releasing songs for soundtracks with press releases and MTV interviews are meant to be low-key)? One succeeded, the other...not so much.  Deny and justify and excuse it all you want...thats just how it is.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2004, 09:00:41 PM by Booker Floyd » Logged
madagas
« Reply #65 on: July 01, 2004, 09:01:37 PM »

The greatest lost track of all-time
The Late Greats' Turpentine
you can't hear it on the radio
can't hear it anywhere you go

the best band will never get signed
The Kay Settes starring Butchers Blind
so good you won't ever know
they never even played a show
can't hear'em on the radio

the greatest singer in rock n' roll
would have to be Romeo
his vocal chords are made of gold
HE JUST LOOKS A LITTLE TOO OLD

the best songs will never get sung
the best life never leaves your lungs
so good you won't ever know
you'll never hear it on the radio
can't hear it on the radio

The Late Greats by Wilco
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

« Reply #66 on: July 01, 2004, 09:08:19 PM »

The fact that it as played for more than a month, and it wasnt even a single, indicates to me - and anybody with a modicum of common sense - that the song was a moderate radio hit, just like I said.  Again, let me know where I lost you.

Yes booker, smf lasted a month longer than OMG. Im sorry.  Roll Eyes
No, but they were both designed to generate some kind of interest, otherwise whats the point of even releasing them.  One succeeded, the other...not so much.  Deny and justify and excuse it all you want...thats just how it is.
"Once the opportunity was presented, the song was given priority in our recording process. As the verse, performance and lyrics were decided on, for us (that especially includes Interscope chairman Jimmy Iovine) the choice became obvious. We were more than pleased Mr. Roswell (the film's music supervisor) agreed! Our thanks to Arnold and all for the consideration - it is an association in which we have always felt honored.

The song was soley for the soundtrack. Of course they would have hoped it did well, but that song wasnt the comeback song or part of the comeback plan. It was song they had that fit the theme of the movie. They were given an oppurtunity get a song out there so they took it out of the vault or whatver worked on it and gave it to the movie. No video, no album, no promotion. AGain until gnr do what vr is doing now{singles/videos promos etc} then we cant gauge how they will do.

Im not denying anything. OMG failed. Where did i lose you?BUt in life there are reasons why things happen.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2004, 09:11:07 PM by younggunner » Logged

madagas
« Reply #67 on: July 01, 2004, 09:09:15 PM »

Booker, do you really think Contraband will outsell Chinese (assume it will come out). Because, really, that will be the only way to separate their success. Chinese, no matter how good the album is, will get mixed reviews, just like Contraband. Come clean. I truly believe that Axl has some great things in store. He simply has spent too much effort and has such a great sense of melody, that I figure, he has at least one major hit in store. The guy simply writes catchy songs.  Undecided
« Last Edit: July 01, 2004, 09:18:26 PM by madagas » Logged
yagami1gnr
Headliner

Sultans of swing

« Reply #68 on: July 01, 2004, 11:07:13 PM »

Who really gives a Fuck?
If Chin Dem comes out, it is going to get played in my stereo. If you are expecting to come first Blink182, then NFG, Then Avril, Then SugarRay and so and so and then listen the song of your favorite group, well you're sick. If by achieving that means that its music cool then, I will throw that CD. Besides who listens to radio anyway, many comercials and then stupid discusions, like one time in a rock station they were discusing about Cuba and Fidel, and they were showing all that attrocities that he made , but also mockering the country and its habitants, and when a somebody make a call to the station, this person gave his opinion which was that FC did bad things, but also good things and that he would love to go back to his country, and the guys on the station tried to change the point of view and then they cut him off air. Yes, It's very good to listen to radio.  hihi
 peace
yagami1gnr
Headliner

Sultans of swing

« Reply #69 on: July 01, 2004, 11:09:40 PM »

Also the version of  "Oh My God" in EOD is quite bad; however the version that they played on Rio was pretty cool.
 peace
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #70 on: July 01, 2004, 11:12:07 PM »

Ive said this once and Ill say it again. DJs dont know shit. They play what they are told. If they are told to play gnr they will have to play it. Its as simple as that.

Also, a lot of modern rock stations are falling by the wayside, for modern/classic format. Like someone said, here in boston wbcn switched over to a mix format because WAAF was kicking its ass with its mix of modern rock and classic rock format.

As for oh my god, didnt axl say it was never intended for a single and was bascially a demo? The song was not even finished when geffen gave it to the end of days movie ppl.

As for if the new gnr songs are not catchy or radio friendly, tools and apc's songs are not catchy or radio friendly and they are played on modern rock stations.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2004, 11:15:16 PM by dave-gnfnr2k » Logged

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #71 on: July 02, 2004, 12:23:16 PM »

cmon guys set me free is 20 times more radio friendly than oh my god, oh my god doesnt really have a bighook, axls vocals are muffled of course it isnt gonna do good on radio

old gnr wont be played on modern i agree totally but if new GNR have modern songs they will

the aerosmith argument isnt valid cause aerosmith havent done a modern rock song ever, so of course they arent gonna get played on modern radio

i guess no one knows for sure till or if CD is released

how bad do u guys think it would effect GNRs popularity if its not? would it hurt them any?

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
tHeElEcTrIcSiNtAr
VIP

« Reply #72 on: July 02, 2004, 01:04:36 PM »

I heard Set Me Free a grand total of 2 times on the radio when The Hulk came out. Now thats a huge success!!!  Roll Eyes

I dont even hear Slither that much. I've heard it maybe 5 times since Contraband has been released. Thats not to great for a #1 album.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #73 on: July 02, 2004, 01:51:42 PM »

I dont even hear Slither that much. I've heard it maybe 5 times since Contraband has been released. Thats not to great for a #1 album.

You must be listening to the wrong stations then..

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
tHeElEcTrIcSiNtAr
VIP

« Reply #74 on: July 02, 2004, 02:38:46 PM »

You must be listening to the wrong stations then..

I dont think so. I live near Boston, and I listen to WAAF, WBCN, and LASER 99.3 and they all play new music. They are the most popular radio stations for rock music and I still dont hear Slither that much.
McGann
Haiku writing motherfucker
VIP

My hat is HEAVY-DUTY tinfoil

« Reply #75 on: July 02, 2004, 02:46:11 PM »

The two local alt/rock stations near me rotate "Slither" pretty heavily.
To the MDs there, it's all about the Weiland, baby.

/Mike

"When fascism came to America, it was called 'Political Correctness' and waved a culturally relative flag."
-Mike McGann
Layne420
Rocker

« Reply #76 on: July 03, 2004, 01:06:30 AM »

Fuck the radio I wanna see a video  smoking

When there's no more water left
And no more air in our breath
What will this earth be worth?
Do you want war or peace?
Blood for oil greed
Won't feed, won't the hunger our need

FLOW
Timothy
Big T
Banned
Legend

bourgeois democracy

« Reply #77 on: July 03, 2004, 01:18:47 AM »

Hell yes I could care less if some shit ass radio station plays the song but you know damn well mtv will play the fucking video .Even though they suck, but it will reach a lager audience.

?In China, Talk Of Democracy Is Simply That.?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: