Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 07:24:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228556 Posts in 43275 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Pigeonholed
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pigeonholed  (Read 21487 times)
Axl_owns_dexter
VIP

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2004, 12:26:04 AM »

This hasn't been an issue "historically" because how many sunset strip rock bands have had a number 1 album in the last decade?

"You want to do something impressive? Get Kim Jong-Il  to sing "Give Peace A Chance." Yeah -- big televised duet with Yoko. That's when I'll be impressed."  - Gary Brecher, the "war nerd"
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2004, 12:28:16 AM »

Falcon, you're wrong. Just because GNR was an "80's band", doesn't mean that the new band won't have any credibilty in the modern world of music. This is a new beginning, if you will, and 'Chinese Democracy' won't sound like 80's music, it will be heavier, more modern, and Axl's voice seems to be one to transcend any "era" or "genre", i.e. if you listen to 'Oh My God', you wouldn't think "Hey, that guy sounds like he used to sing in the 80's". People are too caught up with labels and whatnot, if an album is rock, and it's of good quality, it WILL be played on rock radio, modern, alternative, whatever, and the fact that there will be a much wider range of different styles of music, you can say "The Blues" would go over on "Adult" radio because it's a more mellow, more mature song than say 'Chinese Democracy', which would go over well with the KROQ crowd. Don't be so quick to determine what various groups of people will want to listen to. Good music is good music.

So if Aerosmith recorded  the song "Chinese Democracy" it would
garner airplay with the KROQ crowd?

Keep trying...

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2004, 12:28:16 AM »

I've cited historical trends and examples to back my point of view, if that's "dissecting", so be it.
NO you havnt. I asked you what band has done what Axl is doing and failed in doing so in regards of being shutdown by modern stations.You still havnt answered.

I also asked you what if Axl renamed the band.

Until you show me facts to back your "if the material is good and modern"
viewpoint, it's just an argument based in hope.
No its not. If its good and modern it will be played. Its not rocket science. WHat is so alternative about jet,nickeleback and the darkness?

Also, I'm talking KROQ in LA, the most powerful and influential modern rock formatted station in the US...
Im talking baout here in NY. I have no clue about whats played over there and how they work. So im not talking about them.

I dont need to prove anything. TIme will tell. Until it actaully happens no1 can prove anything. All I know is that if the material on CD is not hairmetal or garbage then it will be given a chance on krock here in ny. How far it goes depends soley on how good it is and if the fans like it. LIke i said this isnt rocket sciebce.

Just because Axl wasnt a part of the grunge or alternative movement doesnt mean he will be shut out. Velvet Revolver consist of mostly 80's icons. They are being played on krock. YEs, weiland is a reason why but the music is not 80's music. Its modern and descent. HEnce it will get played.

Old gnr and what it played and was all about died a long time ago. New gnr is something different. Whether it will be good or not i cant factually tell you. But to say they will not get a standard crack at the rotation on a station like krock here in ny is false.

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2004, 12:33:05 AM »

So if Aerosmith recorded  the song "Chinese Democracy" it would
garner airplay with the KROQ crowd?

Keep trying...
It wouldnt because its just one song. Plus its the same band.
Liek I said before. GNr isnt a washed up band thats trying to reivent itself and place itself into a format just to be popular.

Its a new band that had nothing to do with the old and had nothing to do with any 80's movement

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2004, 12:41:05 AM »

]
I asked you what band has done what Axl is doing and failed in doing so in regards of being shutdown by modern stations.You still havnt answered.

I believe I asked you to cite an example of a frontman from that
era reinventing himself with the same brand name first ,while my perspective can be proved on any "Edge" formatted stations playlist.

Here's something from KROCK, and it's a "flashback" example nonetheless..

Due to overwhelming demand, K-Rock launches Resurrection Lunch hosted by Julie Slater; Monday thru Friday from noon to 1pm. Tune in as we resurrect classic alternative rock from the 80?s & 90?s - from the Clash, U2?and The Ramones ?to Pearl Jam?Live?and The Smashing Pumpkins.

No GNR to be found....

]
I also asked you what if Axl renamed the band.

WHat is so alternative about jet,nickeleback and the darkness?

1. Who knows, he didn't.  

2. They are considered "new" entities, GNR isn't.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2004, 12:44:23 AM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2004, 12:54:48 AM »

From the All Music Guide:

since by the time they released Generation Swine in the summer of 1997, it was nearly a full decade since Dr. Feelgood ? there was no other way they could get any attention. Not that the Cr?e doesn't try to shake things up, hiring Nine Inch Nails keyboardist Charlie Clouser to bring some alternative and industrial textures to Generation Swine.

Sound familiar?

Replace "The Crue" with "GNR" and you have a strikingly similar scenario...

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2004, 12:55:59 AM »

I believe I asked you to cite an example of a frontman from that
era reinventing himself with the same brand name first ,while my perspective can be proved on any "Edge" formatted stations playlist.
Since you still havnt answered...ill answer for you...none

Due to overwhelming demand, K-Rock launches Resurrection Lunch hosted by Julie Slater; Monday thru Friday from noon to 1pm. Tune in as we resurrect classic alternative rock from the 80?s & 90?s - from the Clash, U2?and The Ramones ?to Pearl Jam?Live?and The Smashing Pumpkins.

No GNR to be found....
Why do you keep bringing that up? What does old gnrs music have to do with new gnr music?

1. Who knows, he didn't.  
2. They are considered "new" entities, GNR isn't.
Im asking you though. If he called it something else would it be played on krock.{if it was modern and good}
So now your telling me because jet, darkness and nickleback were not part of the 80's {yet they are referenced when people say they are the bands that are trying to bring back "old school" rock} they are still played on krock even though its an alternative station.

Now your making it a name/history issue.

If the material new GNR make is modern and people like it, it will be played on krock. case closed.  I cant give you an example of bands from that era that are being played on krock because none of those bands are trying to do what Axl is doing. And you cant give me an example of a band thats been shut down by this prestigious alternative world.
GNR will get a huge promotional push. They will at the least get a chance to be played on the likes of krock. Whether they remain a force is if the kiddies like it . plain and simple...

younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2004, 12:58:21 AM »

From the All Music Guide:

since by the time they released Generation Swine in the summer of 1997, it was nearly a full decade since Dr. Feelgood ? there was no other way they could get any attention. Not that the Cr?e doesn't try to shake things up, hiring Nine Inch Nails keyboardist Charlie Clouser to bring some alternative and industrial textures to Generation Swine.

Sound familiar?

Replace "The Crue" with "GNR" and you have a strikingly similar scenario...
NOt the same thing. That crue band had the same mebers its had since their hayday. Plus it even states taht they tried to bring in some1 so they can fit in.

NEw gnr has only Axl. The rest of the band is new and unknown. They are not washed up has beens trying to re invent themselves. thats the difference

younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2004, 01:05:26 AM »

Velvet Revolver is your example. They are always being referenced as former members of gnr. They are getting airplay.

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2004, 01:15:34 AM »

Im asking you though. If he called it something else would it be played on krock.{if it was modern and good}

Ya know, it just might get a fair(er) shot if he'd gone that route.  It would have been fun to watch for  sure.

So now your telling me because jet, darkness and nickleback were not part of the 80's {yet they are referenced when people say they are the bands that are trying to bring back "old school" rock} they are still played on krock even though its an alternative station.

Did any of the bands above sew their oates on the Strip in the mid eighties and then go dark for 11 years?  

They're new bands that were never pidgeonholed, hence, no steroetype.

Now your making it a name/history issue.

Exactly.

The brand "name" GNR has never been a factor in that market.  "History" proves just that.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2004, 01:19:15 AM »

The song chinese democracy is bascially a modern rock song, so you dont think a song like that would be played on modern rock stations?

Yes they will be played on modern rock stations.
End of story.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2004, 01:21:17 AM »

The brand "name" GNR has never been a factor in that market.  "History" proves just that.

"Coming up next, vr featuring the boys from gnr...heres slither......that was from vr featuring slash duff and matt who used to be with gnr"

Thats the basic intro outro to vr....

If im not mistaken, LSash and duff were a big part of old gnr??? How come their history isnt shutting them down in this alternative market?

They're new bands that were never pidgeonholed, hence, no steroetype.
new bands playing old school music on a alternative station. It tells me if its good it will get played.Stop putting lables on things. Krock plays anything that is popular. If its rock they will play it.

Ya know, it just might get a fair(er) shot if he'd gone that route.  It would have been fun to watch for  sure.
they will get that shot....and it will be fun to watch
« Last Edit: July 01, 2004, 01:28:08 AM by younggunner » Logged

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2004, 01:25:05 AM »

Velvet Revolver is your example. They are always being referenced as former members of gnr. They are getting airplay.

Weiland is a singer that has huge credibility within the genre fronting a new band (name and all)..

Axl is the singer with zero credibility within the genre (fair or not), though new in some of  it's players, still GNR.

Keep trying...

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2004, 01:32:38 AM »

Weiland is a singer that has huge credibility within the genre fronting a new band (name and all)..
Vr is getting played because the music is modern

Axl is the singer with zero credibility within the genre (fair or not), though new in some of  it's players, still GNR.
new players new music. like i said, not rocket science....

Krock will not play gnr becaus eits gnr. They are not gonna say wow this music kicks ass but we cant play it because its from gnr. Even though its a whole new band and doesnt sound liek 80's music. NA na we cant play this sorry....ya ok

Keep trying...
Im not trying buddy. You nor I is correct. When its out we will find out.

Like i said ill bet you they will get a chance to have a spot on the rotation.

If they do, you can buy me another Monster Magnet CD and if not Ill buy you whatver cd you want.

If gnrs sound is modern they will be on stations like krock....
« Last Edit: July 01, 2004, 01:36:20 AM by younggunner » Logged

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2004, 01:34:28 AM »

If im not mistaken, LSash and duff were a big part of old gnr??? How come their history isnt shutting them down in this alternative market?

Would they be getting that run with Bach?

No.

The Weiland factor weighs heavily in the whole scheme of things, the guy made his bones in that genre.  

By their own admission, Slash and Duff had "never stepped foot" in the KROQ studios until they were there to promote Contraband.  Anyone who doesn't believe this kind of recognition isn't directly correlated with Scott Weiland isn't seeing the big picture.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2004, 01:37:31 AM »

If they do, you can buy me another Monster Magnet CD and if not Ill buy you whatver cd you want.

Deal.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2004, 01:41:06 AM »

Would they be getting that run with Bach?

No.

The Weiland factor weighs heavily in the whole scheme of things, the guy made his bones in that genre.  

By their own admission, Slash and Duff had "never stepped foot" in the KROQ studios until they were there to promote Contraband.  Anyone who doesn't believe this kind of recognition isn't directly correlated with Scott Weiland isn't seeing the big picture.
It depends how bach would sound over the music. If he sounded like he didnt leave the 80's then your right they defiantely wouldnt get the airplay they ae getting from "alternative" stations. BUt if he himslef sounded modern witht he music, then they would...

Im not denying the Weiland factor 1 bit. I know he is a big reason why they are getting played on stations like krock. BUt the music is modern. I think its unfiar to say that the sole reason why vr is successful and getting played is because of scott. Scotts the reason why its basically an average album and not better. {but thats for another topic}....

younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2004, 01:42:44 AM »

Deal.
sounds good...

time for me to go to sleep...we'll talk tomorrow...peace

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2004, 01:49:14 AM »

Deal.
sounds good...

Rock on young man.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2004, 01:59:25 AM »

i think its unfair to say anything till we hear chinese democracy

radio companies are whores, if chinese democracy is huge they will play whatever and u know universal will pumpmodern radio to play it and they will, label and radio are such a dirty business together

granted the blues wont get played on modern radio because its not modern

but if they release a kick ass modern rock song it will be played, end of story, falcon u act like radio stations have integrity or something, or like GNR are vanilla ice or one of the new kids

axl rose will always be a superstar and have credibility and as long as the song is close to modern format, it will get played,

we can argue and argue but till CD is released we wont know but when a release date is set, and they release a modern single, ill bet u any amount of money it goes top 5 modern and ill pay u thru paypal

but the song has to be modern rock genre

bet is void if its a love song or a rock song that isnt in that genre!

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: