Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 07:23:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228556 Posts in 43275 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Pigeonholed
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pigeonholed  (Read 21482 times)
the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« on: June 30, 2004, 09:47:36 PM »

One could easily assume (and we have had our fair share of discussions on the matter) that VR went with Scott Weiland because of his standing in the alternative rock scene, among other things. They would be able to get their songs onto radio stations and markets that they would have not been able to crack with a Seb Bach type.

Fans of alternative style music, and fans of today's rock music would give them a chance, wheras they would not have had one before.

So, the question is, if Axl comes back with CD, will he be pigeonholed with the 80's bands? Will people give GNR a chance despite the fact that Axl sounds more like Bach, Josh Todd, and Steven Tyler than the alternative music contemporaries?

Or will his new GNR be dismissed right off the bat by many people and most radio stations?

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
99 Problems
Opening Act

Duuuuurrrrr

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2004, 10:12:15 PM »

Most of your questions have been answered somewhat in some of the concert reviews from the shows that they put on.  I think even some magazines like blender and such had some concert reviews in them.  There were many mixed reviews over the new band.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2004, 10:45:08 PM »

They'll be played on "classic" and "real rock" formatted stations in the US..

No chance at the likes of KROQ and modern rock formats stateside.

The GNR brand name goes a long way in some circles but has no roots
or credibility with that segment of radio.

A double edged sword to say the least.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2004, 10:58:29 PM »

i dont necessarily agree falcon, i still think it comes down to the material

if the song kicks ass and is in that format, they will play it, based on the scott weiland argument shangri la di da or whatever the last stp album wouldve got airplay but it didnt do anything

also with the payola shit that goes on etc, u better believe geffen will pump dollars to get gnr out there on formats, first single will be played to shit, now after that it depends

but im not gonna automatically say GNR will be dismissed etc, cause i am one that doesnt think of GNR as an 80's band, they were nothin like the 80's band

this CD will come off huge outta the gates on anticipation alone, radio stations arent stupid! no one on here cant tell me that madagascar wouldnt have been number 1 or at least in the top 5 on modern and mainstream rock if it had been released the day after the VMA's

« Last Edit: June 30, 2004, 10:59:54 PM by D » Logged

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2004, 11:07:44 PM »

i dont necessarily agree falcon, i still think it comes down to the material

By your "material" argument, Aerosmith would have a chance at modern rock if the material was suited.

Sorry D, not buying it.

GNR is much more associated with the likes of "Smith and the Stones and those connotations still hold true to this day.  Great company for sure, but the death knell when it comes to the likes of KROQ...

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2004, 11:16:25 PM »

No chance? Falcon my man, your wrong. Why no chance? Because they arent grunge or alternative? If the music is modern then THEY WILL  be played on stations like KROCk.

This isnt the blues base old GNR. JUst because old GNr doesnt get played on a station like krock doesnt mean anything. Like I said its totally dependent on the material. IF its current and modern and good, you bet dam well it will be on krock.

Old GNR was associated with old bands. NOt this one. They are their own band and when they do thier promos and stuff that will all surface. Its all on the material.
They were willing to play OMG, but it didnt catch on musically not because it was GNR.

Its all about the music. PLain and simple.

I emailed KRock a few years ago when those Catcher IN the Rye rumors were "hot" and asled them the same basica questions regarding new gnr and the material. They said if the material is current and the fans request/ like it, GNR would not fall into any category or anything like that.

What is so 80's about songs like OMG,CD Silk worms, Maddy? Again if the material is current and modern they will be given a chance to play on any station. Plus they will get a huge promotional push from the lable when things get goin.

If i go by what your saying, then your telling me VR are only being played on stations liek krock because of Weiland? If so, your dead wrong. Im not saying he isnt a reason. He most certainly is but the msuic sounds modern so hence they are being played.

They play nickelback on krock all the time. Lets not act like krock and stations liek that are these sacred prestigious gotta be alternative shit only music to be played there. Its about money and what peopel like.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2004, 11:26:38 PM by younggunner » Logged

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2004, 11:29:52 PM »

Sorry YG, it's not "all about the music".

I've said it before and I'll say it again, perception is reality and GNR, no matter what era, hasn't/won't get any run on the KROQ's of the world.

History backs my point of view the n'th degree, the "material" point of view has no basis in fact nor even a basis for hope to crack that market.

Can you name me one band from that era  (using the same name with the same singer) that has re-invented itself and had success in that genre?

Didn't think so.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2004, 11:37:11 PM »

If i go by what your saying, then your telling me VR are only being played on stations liek krock because of Weiland? If so, your dead wrong. Im not saying he isnt a reason. He most certainly is but the msuic sounds modern so hence they are being played.

To a degree, yes.

The same music with Bach as the singer would have no chance at this format.

The same music with Josh Todd would get some run, Buckcherry lit up modern rock with, uh.... "Lit Up" like a Christmas tree, but that's about it.

Nothing like the massive amounts of alterna cred STP and Weiland have along those lnes..

« Last Edit: June 30, 2004, 11:39:01 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2004, 11:40:01 PM »

hasn't/won't get any run on the KROQ's of the world.

Ill put money on that.
Dude they got a run on Krock with OMG. It didnt do well for various reason but they were given the chance to be played on that  station.

If the material is modern it will be given a slot on the roattion. The longevity of the music depends on the quality of music and if the fans liek it.

Metallica/U2/ozzy is always being played on krock. New and old stuff.

If Axl puts out a record that sounds like the 80's then your 100% right. It will not be played on Krock. But if it sounds modern and current it most certainly will....

I asked the program director at krock this very topic. ANd he told me what im telling you right now!...

« Last Edit: June 30, 2004, 11:56:42 PM by younggunner » Logged

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2004, 11:49:18 PM »

I

U2 is always being played on krock. New and old stuff.

U2's history lies in that of the British post punk/new wave eras, not the Sunset Strip of the mid to late 80's.  

Two entirely different animals to say the least.  One perceived as cool and influential, the other lampooned on VH1 on many a show.

Again, show me a historical example....

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2004, 11:52:11 PM »

the other lampooned on VH1 on many a show.
GNr are for from that hairband scene.

Metallica is always being played on krock.

There arent many examples because it really hasnt been done liek this before. Most bands just stay in their format and thats it. BUt gnr broke up. they are a new band.

Give me an example of where a band didnt make it onto a format liek krock that tried to.?

If Axl renamed the band and called it something else,  and the music sounded modern and was great would krock still not play it?

Plus your forgetting the rest of the band. There are no 80's guiatarists or whatnot in this band.
Robin is from nin{which krock plays all the time}
Brain- they play primus
tommy is a punk
fortus is a rocker
and if buckets stuff stays on then hes the total opposite of an 80's guitarist.

My point is this isnt a band with a bunch of has been hair metal rockers that are trying to re live the past. They have made contemporary music and if its good will be played on such formats...
« Last Edit: June 30, 2004, 11:57:24 PM by younggunner » Logged

the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2004, 11:55:01 PM »

And the singer has a lot to do with it, no matter the ability it seems. Axl sings a certain way.

Buckcherry had that sound you're talking about Falcon, but they were a new band. Todd has a style of singing that grouped him with bands that had their heyday 15 years ago.

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2004, 12:00:50 AM »

Plus your forgetting the rest of the band. There are no 80's guiatarists or whatnot in this band.
Robin is from nin{which krock plays all the time}
Brain- they play primus
tommy is a punk
fortus is a rocker
and if buckets stuff stays on then hes the total opposite of an 80's guitarist.

Robin was never a creative force in NIN, it's all Trent.

Primus is all Claypool..and a novelty band at that..

The "Mats were all Westerberg...and barely heard..

Fortus' claim to fame is a cover of The Smith's "How Soon is Now?" with Love Spit Love.

Bucket is much more akin to Malmsteen, Gary Hoey and Joe Satriani then he is to Stone Gossard, Dave Navarro or Jerry Cantrell.

I've talke to many radio folk in the modern rock sect and each have told me 'no way" in regards to GNR...

Hell, look at any "edge" formatted station, GNR is nowhere to be found, not even at flashback Friday...

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Axl_owns_dexter
VIP

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2004, 12:01:48 AM »

I agree, no band with their roots being the sunset strip would be played on modern rock stations.  But, I think that GnR/Axl are the only possible exception where the music will decide.  GnR were the only band in that scene with real credibility in the music world.  That has got to matter for something.  Plus the fact that this generation does not know really know Axl and might be willing to give him more of a chance than the kids in the same age group only 5 or 6 years ago.

"You want to do something impressive? Get Kim Jong-Il  to sing "Give Peace A Chance." Yeah -- big televised duet with Yoko. That's when I'll be impressed."  - Gary Brecher, the "war nerd"
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2004, 12:05:49 AM »

Robin was never a creative force in NIN, it's all Trent.

Primus is all Claypool..and a novelty band at that..

The "Mats were all Westerberg...and barely heard..

Fortus' claim to fame is a cover of The Smith's "How Soon is Now?" with Love Spit Love.

Bucket is much more akin to Malmsteen, Gary Hoey and Joe Satriani then he is to Stone Gossard, Dave Navarro or Jerry Cantrell.
Dude my point was these arent has been hair metal rockers trying to make a comeback.

You cant disect it all you want but if the material is good and modern they will be played on krock.

I've talke to many radio folk in the modern rock sect and each have told me 'no way" in regards to GNR...
Ive talked to the program director at krock. He told me the exact opposite.

Hell, look at any "edge" formatted station, GNR is nowhere to be found, not even at flashback Friday...
That has nothing to do with if they will be played on modern stations. Old gnr was old gnr and new gnr is new gnr.

SO if Axl renamed the band would they be played on krock falcon?

Axl_owns_dexter
VIP

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2004, 12:05:57 AM »

I believe Falcon when he says these new rock guys are saying no way in hell.  Axl knows CD has to be incredibly amazing and modern to really be success.

I think the reason Axl has been after Navarro all these years may not even be the guys talent, maybe he just wants the name and Navarro's credibility in the alt-nu-rock world.

"You want to do something impressive? Get Kim Jong-Il  to sing "Give Peace A Chance." Yeah -- big televised duet with Yoko. That's when I'll be impressed."  - Gary Brecher, the "war nerd"
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2004, 12:12:06 AM »

I think the reason Axl has been after Navarro all these years may not even be the guys talent, maybe he just wants the name and Navarro's credibility in the alt-nu-rock world.
I highly doubt that. Axl has always loved Janes Addiction even before they got big. So Im it was more of the fact that he likes his style.

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2004, 12:19:05 AM »

You cant disect it all you want but if the material is good and modern they will be played on krock.

I've cited historical trends and examples to back my point of view, if that's "dissecting", so be it.

Until you show me facts to back your "if the material is good and modern"
viewpoint, it's just an argument based in hope.

Cite a historical precedent and I'll consider your views as valid possibilities.

Also, I'm talking KROQ in LA, the most powerful and influential modern rock formatted station in the US...

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

HoldenCaulfield
VIP

I strike to burn and no flame returns...

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2004, 12:21:16 AM »

Falcon, you're wrong. Just because GNR was an "80's band", doesn't mean that the new band won't have any credibilty in the modern world of music. This is a new beginning, if you will, and 'Chinese Democracy' won't sound like 80's music, it will be heavier, more modern, and Axl's voice seems to be one to transcend any "era" or "genre", i.e. if you listen to 'Oh My God', you wouldn't think "Hey, that guy sounds like he used to sing in the 80's". People are too caught up with labels and whatnot, if an album is rock, and it's of good quality, it WILL be played on rock radio, modern, alternative, whatever, and the fact that there will be a much wider range of different styles of music, you can say "The Blues" would go over on "Adult" radio because it's a more mellow, more mature song than say 'Chinese Democracy', which would go over well with the KROQ crowd. Don't be so quick to determine what various groups of people will want to listen to. Good music is good music.

If a body meet a body, comin' through the rye...
Axl_owns_dexter
VIP

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2004, 12:24:46 AM »

I think if CD goes to number 1 for a few weeks, K-Rock may change their opinion slightly.  Not to mention the amount of money that will be offered by GnR's record label to play their stuff.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: