Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 05:28:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228556 Posts in 43275 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Pigeonholed
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pigeonholed  (Read 21430 times)
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2004, 02:10:45 AM »

granted the blues wont get played on modern radio because its not modern

Very true.

With that in mind, FTP has already been added to KROQ's "What's New" list.
Hardly a "modern" tune by any means, but it's by a new band with a singer named Scott Weiland.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Timothy
Big T
Banned
Legend

bourgeois democracy

« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2004, 02:22:34 AM »

I've talke to many radio folk in the modern rock sect and each have told me 'no way" in regards to GNR...

They play what they are told to play, also why the hell is the Darkness getting air time then there are a fucking 80's sounding band?

?In China, Talk Of Democracy Is Simply That.?
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2004, 02:44:22 AM »

I've talke to many radio folk in the modern rock sect and each have told me 'no way" in regards to GNR...

They play what they are told to play, also why the hell is the Darkness getting air time then there are a fucking 80's sounding band?

nice point timothy! spoken like a true prodigy!

GNR will get played, they wont be the only radio station in the world missing out on the GNR phenomenon thats gonna be all over every music headline

no way!

granted one single may be all they play after the hoopla goes down some, just depends on the material

if its awesome i believe it will be played

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Timothy
Big T
Banned
Legend

bourgeois democracy

« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2004, 02:51:19 AM »

Well I try Grin

And if you go by what Falcon is saying then Chinese Democracy should be the first single it sound like something that would of came during the whole grung era.   beer

?In China, Talk Of Democracy Is Simply That.?
RitzWalker8
Rocker

I love my Pancreas!!!

« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2004, 08:35:39 AM »

I live in Boston and they play GNR more now than they did 5-7 years ago.  They talk about Chineese Democracy atleast 4-5 times a friggin day.  The alternative rock stations have gone by the waste side (thank god).  They are more of a hybrid of classic rock and alternative.  

I believe that VR will help GNR if Axl ever choses to release the CD.  I have serious reservations regarding any possible release.  The radio stations around here love playing that VR song, slither(which is really starting to get on my nerves, I like it at first.  Now I can't stand it anymore) and then they play a GNR song.  They always conclude the two songs with some kind of dialog regarding VR and Chinese Democracy.  People are really starting to get facinated with shit.

If I had to venture a guess I would say they will play GNR purely out of curosity over the VR vs. GNR thing.  And from there the material decide how far it goes.  On a side note, critics love to hate AXL, not GNR.  So if this thing is ever released expect some biast unfavorable reviews and discussions on radio no matter what the material sounds like.  It could sound like the second coming of the beatles it wouldn't make a difference.   Conversley, VR could take a shit in a CD case and wrap it and it would get great publicity.  However, that novelity for VR will only last so long.  They need to start producing something better in my opinion.  Lastly, If the Chinese Democracy is good enough over time Axl could win some of the music media back.

Thanks

Ritz

Ritz Reeves III
madagas
« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2004, 09:05:15 AM »

zzzzzzzzzzzzz.......Who gives a fuck about what format either band is played on? Ultimately, it is about buying product. FALCON, do you honestly think the name Scott Weiland holds sway over the name Axl Rose? Seriously. Assume Axl releases the record and is not played on modern rock radio, do you think Contraband will sell more than Chinese? Don't give me this Gnr brand name either, Axl has lost the advantage of the name by showing the world his freaky new band two years ago. The cat is out of the bag and any one who is remotely in to music knows it is Axl Rose's band. So, it ultimately comes down to can Axl outsell Velvet? FALCON, what do you personally think? I believe Axl will bury them on a worldwide basis and clearly beat them in US sales, but it will be closer in the US due to the bad taste Axl left in our mouths. Huh
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2004, 11:19:44 AM »

I believe Axl will bury them on a worldwide basis and clearly beat them in US sales, but it will be closer in the US due to the bad taste Axl left in our mouths.
I agree. If its remotely good, CD will sell bigtime. Peopel around the world crave for gnr and love Axl. Here in the US, they have to prove it more. OS if the material is big, they wil ldo fine. Theres going to be a lot of hype and promo fpr the album. The music will have to carry it in the long run....

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2004, 02:54:01 PM »

FALCON, do you honestly think the name Scott Weiland holds sway over the name Axl Rose?

In the world of KROQ and stations like it, absolutely.  Axl is a non-entitiy in that realm.  If by chance he is mentioned, he's portrayed as a buffoon.

...do you think Contraband will sell more than Chinese? Don't give me this Gnr brand name either, FALCON, what do you personally think? I believe Axl will bury them on a worldwide basis and clearly beat them in US sales, .

No way Contraband outsells CD (if/when).  Curiosity alone will take care of that.

One more thing, most of the viewpoints differing from mine about this subject are based on the premise "if the material is modern/good argument, KROQ and like formatted stations will jump on the bandwagon, correct?

I think most would agree "Oh My God" was a good tune that sounded modern (at the time) so to speak, correct?  It had a guitar player (Navarro) with huge cred within the genre, right?

FACT: When released to modern rock radio in the US, "Oh My God" fell off the radar faster than you can say Paul Huge.  It tanked horribly.  That is non disputable.

By opposing viewpoints, if the material was good/contemporary, it should have had success in that venue, right?

Wrong.

I think most are hoping for acceptance across the board if/when CD sees the light of day, and that's fine.

Does that hope have any basis in historical perspective?  Not really.

Is it a realistic scenario?  Of coure not.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
madagas
« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2004, 03:28:09 PM »

I don't care about formats and Rose is generally considered more crazy than a buffoon. Weiland is the one throughout his career potrayed as a drug addict trend following wannabe-in all formats including modern/alternative rock. First, it was Vedder sound alike, then Bowie, now glam rock second rate 1988 Axl. I truly believe you feel this guy is on par or exceeds Rose in historical rock and roll importance and credibility. It truly boggles my imagination. I rarely do this anymore, but I pulled out Axl with the Stones in 1989, Axl at Farm Aid, Axl with Queen, Axl with Petty and reminded myself what a special performer and artist he was back in his day. Just looked at some clips of 2001 Rio and 2002 MSG. Weiland is a good frontman but Axl is and always will be head and shoulders above the guy. Fuck, the song Coma alone justifies Axl's importance as an artist and clearly distinguishes him from run of the mill talents like Weiland. Weiland can do all the moves and try as hard as he wants, but some people just ooze charisma and talent. Axl is a lighnting rod of controversy, both good and bad, but charismatic none the less. Morrison had it, Vedder has it, Rotten had it, Iggy had it, Plant had it, and Axl has it. Weiland-no. My whole point is it is meaningless if Gnr get played on modern rock radio. It will be a nice bonus if they did, but it won't effect the ultimate success or failure of their record. You are probably right, they won't be played no matter what...even though I imagine the record ultimately will be far more modern and creative than the bland- 1988 riffs- with trendy modern production- Contraband. If Axl panders or sells out like they did, I will be pissed at him as well. Contraband is as lukewarm and forgettable as it gets, outside of Slash's ripping leads. Granted, we'll probably never hear Chinese so my arguments are ultimately futile and Rose will forever be remembered as a coulda- woulda-shoulda-unfullfilled potential. Undecided
« Last Edit: July 01, 2004, 05:43:07 PM by madagas » Logged
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2004, 03:45:06 PM »

i dont agree falcon, oh my god was a very experimental sounding track, hardly radio friendly

u cant compare Oh My God to what might be on CD

i like oh  my god but if CD doesnt have anything better than OMG on it, i think the whole board will commit mass suicide

my argument is, if OMG had been a radio friendly kick ass song, it wouldve got played, it still got in the top 25 didnt it on modern? and we can all agree that song isnt quite what u would call single material

i dont agree with the aerosmith argument or rolling stones argument either

GNR are way more aggressive than aerosmith or the stones

aerosmith has been cashin in with the tongue and cheek type shit for the last few records, but id love to look back on a chart and see if fallin in love is hard on the knees did well on modern radio and im sure "pink was near the top on modern radio charts

my main argument is u are basically sayin regardless of how awesome a song is KROQ wont play it cause its GNR and im arguing as long as the song is modern rock type format and kicks ass it will get played and be number 1 or top 5 easy

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2004, 06:00:43 PM »

i dont agree falcon, oh my god was a very experimental sounding track, hardly radio friendly

Excuse...

u cant compare Oh My God to what might be on CD

Why not?  It's a relavent analogy.

...but if CD doesnt have anything better than OMG on it, i think the whole board will commit mass suicide

Agreed. yes

my argument is, if OMG had been a radio friendly kick ass song, it wouldve got played, it still got in the top 25 didnt it on modern? and we can all agree that song isnt quite what u would call single material

Apparently Axl thought it was...

i dont agree with the aerosmith argument or rolling stones argument either

GNR are way more aggressive than aerosmith or the stones

GNR are much more associated with "Smith and The Stones than they ever were PJ o or AIC.  

That fact is un-arguable.

but id love to look back on a chart and see if fallin in love is hard on the knees did well on modern radio and im sure "pink was near the top on modern radio charts

Wrong.

Neither act above has ever sniffed those charts.

my main argument is u are basically sayin regardless of how awesome a song is KROQ wont play it cause its GNR and im arguing as long as the song is modern rock type format and kicks ass it will get played and be number 1 or top 5 easy

Historical references back my point of view.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

McGann
Haiku writing motherfucker
VIP

My hat is HEAVY-DUTY tinfoil

« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2004, 06:32:28 PM »

Falcon is on the money here.  I manage talk radio stations and I have quite a few friends in the music radio biz.  A few points:
1.  Radio DJs are generally privy to no more info that you or me.
2.  Guns is now classic rock, and airs on several classic rock stations.  Modern/alternative rock stations won't touch anything played on classic rock stations.
3.  Two alternative rock music directors have echoed what Falcon's buddy said...no chance in Hell of EVER hearing Gn'R on their stations.  Why?  Because it's off-format.
4.  An increasingly common way of determining playlists is to have consultants invite large groups of people to music venues and play 6-10 second snippets of whatever is being pushed by the labels that week IN THAT FORMAT.  The people then fill out questionnaires based on familiarity and whether or not they like what they heard.  The consultants deliver the results to program and music directors with recommendations of what to add to playlists or increase/decrease in rotation.  It's programmed up to 10 days in advance at a few stations near where I live.  The audiences will never hear Gn'R for a modern rock format at these gatherings, and it will not be on playlists.

There is a razor-slim chance this could change if sales are absolutely through the roof, but then again, Usher  sales blew everybody away and he got no airplay on modern rock becasue he's not in that format.
The only format that will likely carry Gn'R is AOR (album-oriented rock) and they've gotten pretty few and far between.

Here's to hoping I'm wrong. beer

/Mike

"When fascism came to America, it was called 'Political Correctness' and waved a culturally relative flag."
-Mike McGann
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2004, 06:42:17 PM »

Apparently Axl thought it was...
It was more for the soundtrack then a single.

No they dont. There is no historical reference. no other band from that era is trying to do what gnr are doing.

2.  Guns is now classic rock, and airs on several classic rock stations.  Modern/alternative rock stations won't touch anything played on classic rock stations.
Not really. NOt here in ny atleast. Q104.3 plays gnr occasionally but it isnt really in their rotation. ANd Krock doesnt play them at all. For a band that was so successfull they arent in any particular format. The only station that plays them day in and day out is a local nj station 95.9......

3.  Two alternative rock music directors have echoed what Falcon's buddy said...no chance in Hell of EVER hearing Gn'R on their stations.  Why?  Because it's off-format.
How can new gnr material be off format? How can songs that fit the format and are modern be left off a format. MAkes no sense.

Usher  sales blew everybody away and he got no airplay on modern rock becasue he's not in that format.
rofl AM I missing something?

You peopel are not making sense. If the singles on CD are modern and kick ass and do not sound liek classic rock or hairmetal, it will get played on rock,modern,alternative, and any other rock based station. CAse Closed. I asked krocks friggen program director will GNR be given a chance to play thier singles on a station liek yours. He said yes, if it fits the format, meaning its modern and good and if the fans want to hear it. He said its not a problem.

You all have this idea that GNR wont even get a crack at the rotation simply because its gnr. Meanwhile 3 members of gnr are in a band thats being played on krock and stations liek that all the time. If the music is modern it will get played on those stations.

Dont make it seem like krock here in ny is some prestigious elite station. They play garbage. They play whatevr type of rock is hot and popular. Whetehr its nickleback,good charlotte, or the darkenss....to jayz/eminem rock type songs.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2004, 06:45:11 PM by younggunner » Logged

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2004, 07:21:59 PM »

No they dont. There is no historical reference. no other band from that era is trying to do what gnr are doing.

The historical reference I speak of is the fact GNR has never
been considered a viable entity at modern rock.  Nothing to do with what "they are trying to do".  It's just a cold hard fact.

Again YG, if you think VR would've gotten run at that format with Bach or a modern sounding Aerosmith would get played at modern rock, the premise for your entire point of view is shot.

You said it yourself, KROCK doesn't play them at all.

Why would they start?

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

madagas
« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2004, 07:33:04 PM »

Youngun, the problem is people are prejudice and prejudge everything. Axl has created this problem by using the Gnr name. Gnr is associated now, basically, as classic rock, and it is. When Axl released OMG, it did not fit ANYONES perception of GNR. Thus, no one gave it a chance. It sucks but it is the truth. That is why I completely disregard the radio now and formatting. It is a complete joke. Falcon, OMG was never released as a single, no video, a stereotypical soundtrack song. The only reason Axl discussed it was because it was the first original song in 8 years. It was never shoved down anyone's throat like Slither is. Big difference. yes
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2004, 07:45:24 PM »

Falcon, OMG was never released as a single, no video, a stereotypical soundtrack song. The only reason Axl discussed it was because it was the first original song in 8 years. It was never shoved down anyone's throat like Slither is. Big difference. yes

Actually, it was.

It was released to radio as the lead promotional single for the "End of Days" soundtrack.

Who said anything about "Slither"?

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

madagas
« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2004, 07:53:57 PM »

Actually...it wasn't. It was never released to the public as a cd single in the US. The biggest thing that shows you he didn't care about the song that much is the lack of a video. A good video is WAY better than radio airplay. Slither is just an example of a true single being played up to the max. That's all..no different than Nov Rain etc..It is a good example of how to market your product. Set Me Free was never appropriately played up either...thank God.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #57 on: July 01, 2004, 08:00:35 PM »

Actually...it wasn't. It was never released to the public as a cd single in the US. .

Notice I said "released to radio"...

A CD "singlle" release denotes absolutely mothing.

It was in fact released to radio, and it tanked.

It's all in the "Dead Horse" section I'm sure.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

madagas
« Reply #58 on: July 01, 2004, 08:13:09 PM »

No shit Sherlock...of course it tanked. Again, it did not fit anyone's perception of Gnr. Axl made one of his many mistakes. Believe me, I don't have to read this fucking board to know what happened. I feel like an idiot even arguing about such trivial shit as radio formatting and the complete joke that is "MODERN ROCK".. WAIT A SECOND, THERE IS A DASHBOARD CONFESSIONAL SONG ON THE RADIO, HOLY SHIT NEXT IS NEW FOUND GLORY,,,OH VELVET REVOLVER IS COMING ON RIGHT AFTER THEM...COOL.....ROCK IS BACK.....YEEEEAAHHHH Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: July 01, 2004, 08:14:53 PM by madagas » Logged
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #59 on: July 01, 2004, 08:14:46 PM »

No shit Sherlock...of course it tanked. Again, it did not fit anyone's percetion of Gnr. Axl made one of his many mistakes. Believe me, I don't have to read this fucking board to know what happened. I feel like an idiot even arguing about such trivial shit as radio formatting and the complete joke that is "MODERN ROCK".. WAIT A SECOND, THERE IS A DASHBOARD CONFESSIONAL SONG ON THE RADIO, HOLY SHIT NEXT IS NEW FOUND GLORY,,,OH VELVET REVOLVER IS COMING ON RIGHT AFTER THEM...COOL.....ROCK IS BACK.....YEEEEAAHHHH Roll Eyes

Is your wife out of town again madagas?? yes

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: