Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 07:25:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Releasing CD under new name would ease Pressure off Axl
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Releasing CD under new name would ease Pressure off Axl  (Read 9287 times)
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2004, 10:56:29 AM »

The thing Axl doesn't need is to be compared to his former band's works (87-93), i'm sure this is what he fears most-that CD won't be up to the standard of his previous work.

Who would like to have the lengendary Guns n Roses name hanging over their heads if you were the only remaining original member who broke up that band because you had a certain vision of what GNR should be?

Some would rightly say it would help sales just because of the name, that may be the case but it hasn't helped Axl release his long awaited album, and beleive me it is a big factor in why Axl has not released CD.

If the music is good enough people will buy the CD regardless of the name of the band, they will definately buy it knowing that Axl is the singer and they will definately buy it knowing that this is an extremely talented band.

Look at VR, sure they got compared to their previous band's but it would be nothing like the comparisons new GNR would get, the bar would be set so high for them that i just think nobody could get above it, the CD would have to be that f**king good its not funny because their are plenty of people waiting to tear into this band's credibility.

I'm very much looking forward to seeing what he has come up with, i love VR but was slightly dissapointed by their first up effort.

This album would have been dropped a long time ago if he didn't use the GNR name.

Another thread about changing the name - great! Roll Eyes

If Axl changes the band name GNR ends, its over - is that what u want?

I want a new GNR album - i really don't care who's left in the band as long as Axl's there - he was always the most important member anyway

Changing the name achieves nothing - he will still be compared with the old stuff no matter what the band was called.

Quick! To the bandwagon!
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2004, 11:11:21 AM »

The thing Axl doesn't need is to be compared to his former band's works (87-93), i'm sure this is what he fears most-that CD won't be up to the standard of his previous work.

Who would like to have the lengendary Guns n Roses name hanging over their heads if you were the only remaining original member who broke up that band because you had a certain vision of what GNR should be?

Some would rightly say it would help sales just because of the name, that may be the case but it hasn't helped Axl release his long awaited album, and beleive me it is a big factor in why Axl has not released CD.

If the music is good enough people will buy the CD regardless of the name of the band, they will definately buy it knowing that Axl is the singer and they will definately buy it knowing that this is an extremely talented band.

Look at VR, sure they got compared to their previous band's but it would be nothing like the comparisons new GNR would get, the bar would be set so high for them that i just think nobody could get above it, the CD would have to be that f**king good its not funny because their are plenty of people waiting to tear into this band's credibility.

I'm very much looking forward to seeing what he has come up with, i love VR but was slightly dissapointed by their first up effort.

This album would have been dropped a long time ago if he didn't use the GNR name.

Another thread about changing the name - great! Roll Eyes

If Axl changes the band name GNR ends, its over - is that what u want?

I want a new GNR album - i really don't care who's left in the band as long as Axl's there - he was always the most important member anyway

Changing the name achieves nothing - he will still be compared with the old stuff no matter what the band was called.

Of Course he will always be compared to the old band, but why should the old materials place in history suffer if CD is a bomb. A giant egg in the name Guns N' Roses will only make what could have been the Greatest Rock band ever, a giant running joke. I understand he owns the name, but why ruin it with a possible bad release. And if you're Axl, why risk having a good release credited to name recognition. Axl doen't want people claiming that Slash's name sold Chinese Democracy.
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2004, 11:22:47 AM »

Of Course he will always be compared to the old band, but why should the old materials place in history suffer if CD is a bomb. A giant egg in the name Guns N' Roses will only make what could have been the Greatest Rock band ever, a giant running joke.

TSI?

10 year delay?

Its already a joke - Axl really can't do any more damage to the name

I understand he owns the name, but why ruin it with a possible bad release.

Again i will just say TSI (i adore this album - but to the world at large its a joke)

And if you're Axl, why risk having a good release credited to name recognition. Axl doen't want people claiming that Slash's name sold Chinese Democracy.

Axl could change the name to 'Killer wheels from Mars' - change his own name and go on stage in duisguise and people WILL still compare the album with GNR

Changing the name will achieve nothing - he's gonna be savaged no matter what happens

If the album sells 100 million and spawns 10 no.1's he will still be attacked

Changing the name is simply a waste of time

Whats worse it will show Axl's a coward and can't take the pressure anymore

The GNR name will help this thing sell - there is benfit in keeping it but none in changing it

The haters will still hate

Quick! To the bandwagon!
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2004, 11:26:55 AM »

When some kid goes strolling through the local HMV or Virgin Mega Store  and spots Guns N' Roses: Chinese Democracy, unless he is a Huge fan, he is going to think Axl, Slash, and AFD..........when he hears silkworms he's gonna say WTF?............ why risk ruining a name that 5 people ( and as Axl like to call them, a few additional musicians) worked there asses off to create in one release by a solo project. Is Axl that nervous that his name alone won't sell?Huh
HOw would that be possible? WHen GNR "get the ball rolling", they will have a single accompanied by a video. In that video he will not see the old band, he will see the new band.
ANd get this, if he doesnt see the video, he will still know its a new band because everytime he will hear the song on the radio the dejays will talk about it and tell everyone, and here is the new gnr song by the new version, etc...

and if thats not enough for that poor old kid, he will have photos and interviews in magazines to discover that its not the old band.
SO when its all said and done, people and that kid will know its a new band not the old band.

but why should the old materials place in history suffer if CD is a bomb
WHy would it? It would only raise the legacy of the past and show that Axl needs the old members and the old members need him.
The old legacy is already set in stone. WHat they did was great and they will always remain a part of music history. What happens from here on out is on Axls legacy.
I ask you what if CD is a masterpiece and is just as good if not better than GNRs old work? Then what? Axl goes from being a legend to a god.

Axl doen't want people claiming that Slash's name sold Chinese Democracy.
How would Slashs name sell CD confused

Ive been sayign that since day 1. Excellent point and people should realize that already.
No matter what Axl called the band, the material and the band will be compared to old gnr. You cant escape that. Its a natural comparison. ANd in Axls mind, gnr hasnt ended anyway. SO why should he end it? BEcause the people who began it are out? O well there gone time to move on. The history of gnr is what it is and nothing will change that. Now its chapter 2. Lets see how it pans out.

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
DJM
Headliner

Axl Rose is GOD!

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2004, 11:36:53 AM »

First of all AXL should keep the name Guns N Roses because hes worked hard to get a good band together. Also whatever happens if they did change the name (which i doubt) they would be compared but axl will have to release the album because i think Geffen could drop GNR

like the tide out on the ocean
the wave's already set in motion
the only one in the game who's lost is you!
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2004, 12:58:45 PM »

First of all AXL should keep the name Guns N Roses because hes worked hard to get a good band together.
I totally agree. Like I said earlier, Axl could have released a few new GNR albums by now with a revolving band. Thats how you ruin the GNR name. Instead he hasnt done anything until a band formed. It obiviously hasnt formed the conventional way, but these guys have evolved and gelled and all are good friends. They have worked hard in making music and hopefull they can continue the gnr legacy. What Im most grateful for is that although GNR is always being joked upon, when its all said and done they have set themselves up to be judged on the music they make....

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
SlashFan
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2004, 05:26:55 AM »

And I'm not saying people saw Buckethead and thought it was Slash in a mask........they bought the ticket thinking they were seeing Axl and Slash, not Axl and Circ de So Lame. Most of the record buying public will think that an album by Guns N' Roses...is Guns N' Roses (Axl and Slash)

I don't believe that,I mean most know that Slash or Duff hasn't been in the band for a long time now,people aren't stupid no
duga
VIP

If you're not a rock star - at least act like one

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2004, 07:28:58 AM »

And I'm not saying people saw Buckethead and thought it was Slash in a mask........they bought the ticket thinking they were seeing Axl and Slash, not Axl and Circ de So Lame. Most of the record buying public will think that an album by Guns N' Roses...is Guns N' Roses (Axl and Slash)

I don't believe that,I mean most know that Slash or Duff hasn't been in the band for a long time now,people aren't stupid no

Uhm... most people ARE stupid  confused

Stockholm 2006, Oslo 2010, Maryland 2016, Stockholm 2017, Gothenburg 2018

Power to the people, peace out and blame Canada
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: