Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 07:24:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Releasing CD under new name would ease Pressure off Axl
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Releasing CD under new name would ease Pressure off Axl  (Read 9286 times)
GNRisAFD
Headliner

« on: June 27, 2004, 06:36:38 PM »

The thing Axl doesn't need is to be compared to his former band's works (87-93), i'm sure this is what he fears most-that CD won't be up to the standard of his previous work.

Who would like to have the lengendary Guns n Roses name hanging over their heads if you were the only remaining original member who broke up that band because you had a certain vision of what GNR should be?

Some would rightly say it would help sales just because of the name, that may be the case but it hasn't helped Axl release his long awaited album, and beleive me it is a big factor in why Axl has not released CD.

If the music is good enough people will buy the CD regardless of the name of the band, they will definately buy it knowing that Axl is the singer and they will definately buy it knowing that this is an extremely talented band.

Look at VR, sure they got compared to their previous band's but it would be nothing like the comparisons new GNR would get, the bar would be set so high for them that i just think nobody could get above it, the CD would have to be that f**king good its not funny because their are plenty of people waiting to tear into this band's credibility.

I'm very much looking forward to seeing what he has come up with, i love VR but was slightly dissapointed by their first up effort.

This album would have been dropped a long time ago if he didn't use the GNR name.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2004, 06:45:31 PM by GNRisAFD » Logged
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2004, 07:11:48 PM »

Regardless to the very short studiocuts that already exists about the album "Chinese Democracy", I think we should be very optimistic. The production seems enormous. Shocked
Now, it will depend of what Axl decides to put on CD: If he brings back "classic Rock n' Roll"+ blues-Rock style+ piano/epic ballads well it will surely be a big success.
But if Axl chooses to put 15, 16 or 17 tracks like "silkworms", "oh my god" or " my world", if he decides to make an entire album of HORRIBLE techno/indus rock tracks, so we should already consider that it's already over because with that kind of music he won't sell more than 1 copie worldwide.

I hope Axl knows that a stupid techno/indus album will lead him to a terrible failure musically, commercialy and artisticly.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2004, 07:13:43 PM by nesquick » Logged

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
lennonisgod
VIP

TWAT

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2004, 07:26:56 PM »

The thing Axl doesn't need is to be compared to his former band's works (87-93), i'm sure this is what he fears most-that CD won't be up to the standard of his previous work.

I think that no matter what name Axl releases anything under the comparison will always be there regardless.  Look at VR, everyone compares them with GNR and STP.  Thats just the way that it's gonna be.  If Axl were to release Chinese Democracy under Axl Rose and not Guns N' Roses, people are still going to criticize it and compare it to his old work.  Rather then releasing CD under a different name he should just try to make the best possible record he can... something that he likes and is proud of.

Social class and registers, Cocaine in the hall, All the way from California...
Mr Cowbell ?
Legend

HTGTH Powerslam Champion / Former WWE Game Champ

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2004, 07:34:17 PM »

it's already over because with that kind of music he won't sell more than 1 copie worldwide.

Shit GnR is so big still in other parts of the world. Just ebcause in the states they might be considered old. IN south american, australia , Europe, and Asia GnR is still very big. Thats why they do festivals there the fans still love them more then the DROP D distortion rock that has taken over america.

If axl Released Silk worms, and 15 other songs like it I am sure there are countires around the world that it would reach platinum in.  I am sure Axl could release himself singing in the shower and it would reach gold in the states and sell millions in the world. Because he knows how to produce anything and make it sound good.

Ron Jeremy - BEND OVER.
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2004, 08:26:48 PM »

I love the songs like riyadh and oh my god.
I thought they were great.

And we already know the whole album is not going to be like that.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2004, 09:16:45 PM »

Who would like to have the lengendary Guns n Roses name hanging over their heads if you were the only remaining original member who broke up that band because you had a certain vision of what GNR should be?

WHy not? In Axls mind GNR hasnt ended.

Some would rightly say it would help sales just because of the name, that may be the case but it hasn't helped Axl release his long awaited album, and beleive me it is a big factor in why Axl has not released CD.

If the music is good enough people will buy the CD regardless of the name of the band, they will definately buy it knowing that Axl is the singer and they will definately buy it knowing that this is an extremely talented band.
Why cant gnr have 2 great eras?{im not saying new gnr will great, they still have to prove it}. THe past did what it di and the new lineup can do thier own thing. ANd when the book finally closes, we can say GNR had 2 different kinds of bands that each did their own thing.

Look at VR, sure they got compared to their previous band's but it would be nothing like the comparisons new GNR would get, the bar would be set so high for them that i just think nobody could get above it, the CD would have to be that f**king good its not funny because their are plenty of people waiting to tear into this band's credibility.
Axl and company know the expectations.

Although many people think otherwise, Axl for the most part hasnt ruined the gnr name.{yet}. He has taken full responsibilities in using the gnr name. Instead of just using the name and releasing an album, he has made it his life to assemble a band and create material that will serve justice to the past and continue the gnr legacy.

If he truly was a selfish prick he could have released a few new gnr albums by now without a solid band. Im not saying Axl has made mistakes, he certainly has...but I look at it liek this....

In the grand scheme of things he has set him and the new band up to either fail or succede on the material they put out. And thats a good thing. The music will do the talking. They have layed low and the mystique and mystery and curiosity is still there. As Stinson says....it will either be a sucesse or a flop....based on the music...and that is a good thing...
« Last Edit: June 27, 2004, 09:18:19 PM by younggunner » Logged

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Captain Obvious
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2004, 09:32:45 PM »

Quote:

WHy not? In Axls mind GNR hasnt ended.

Quote:

Why cant gnr have 2 great eras?{im not saying new gnr will great, they still have to prove it}. THe past did what it di and the new lineup can do thier own thing. ANd when the book finally closes, we can say GNR had 2 different kinds of bands that each did their own thing.

Quote:
Axl and company know the expectations.

Although many people think otherwise, Axl for the most part hasnt ruined the gnr name.{yet}. He has taken full responsibilities in using the gnr name. Instead of just using the name and releasing an album, he has made it his life to assemble a band and create material that will serve justice to the past and continue the gnr legacy.

If he truly was a selfish prick he could have released a few new gnr albums by now without a solid band. Im not saying Axl has made mistakes, he certainly has...but I look at it liek this....

In the grand scheme of things he has set him and the new band up to either fail or succede on the material they put out. And thats a good thing. The music will do the talking. They have layed low and the mystique and mystery and curiosity is still there. As Stinson says....it will either be a sucesse or a flop....based on the music...and that is a good thing...

Great post, great points. However, I think the word "like" should be officially changed to make younggunner's life a bit easier.  What is it with that word that makes it so unspellable, its the mother of all typos.  No other word can even compete...except "teh".

Thats brilliant, if the new album sucks he can just say "well the real Chinese Democracy (the one that took 10 years) is coming out soon, don't worry guys".
« Last Edit: June 27, 2004, 10:15:51 PM by Captain Obvious » Logged
HoldenCaulfield
VIP

I strike to burn and no flame returns...

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2004, 10:38:42 PM »

the expectations are already so monstrous that the name doesn't really matter, people will always associate Axl with GNR. Plus, I want to see this band rule the world, as GNR...

If a body meet a body, comin' through the rye...
slashnbuckethead
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2004, 10:48:53 PM »

I believe strongly that Axl should scrap Chinese Democracy as the name of the album. Let it die along with the terrible rumors, the tragic end to the tour and the loss of buckethead. On the other hand if, as im sure it will be, the album is incredible and amazing the title does make it even more notorious and legendary. I think there is a good chance CD will get dumped in Brian Wilsons basement and won't see the light of day for annother 30 years.
yagami1gnr
Headliner

Sultans of swing

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2004, 10:54:11 PM »

Well, it's simple to try to compare with the old GNR, not because Axl has the name, but because everybody expect good music. If Chin Dem comes, I could compare it with old GNR, not for the name but for the music.
In this sentence , I really don't try to start a war, but its different when a new CD by a group comes out, first compare it with today standard music, and if is good then compare it with old music(best stuff) 'cause everybody nows that today music stinks, like when the darkness came and everybody was saying is the saviors of rock (this apply to other bands too.)
 peace
Timothy
Big T
Banned
Legend

bourgeois democracy

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2004, 10:54:28 PM »

I think there is a good chance CD will get dumped in Brian Wilsons basement and won't see the light of day for annother 30 years.

Shit I hope not, but the way things are going you could be right . beer

?In China, Talk Of Democracy Is Simply That.?
SlashFan
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2004, 03:13:29 AM »

I think I have said ot before that Axl should change the name of the band,but I'm not so sure now,I mean,the ex gunners are doing their own thing and don't want to be involved with GN'R,so why should it matter if Axl uses the GN'R name,I think someone should.As for the album,now he could change the name of that and release it with a different title,other bands have done that in the past,it wouldn't surprise me tho. peace
shaun
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2004, 03:42:34 AM »

I think all of GN?R should be locked away in a hotel/studio environment.
Should not be allowed access to the out side world until CD is completed.
Once CD is complete they can all come out minus the CD pressure thing hanging over them and can speak freely about what a great album CD really is.
They can then do live shows and not have to bore the pants off all and sundry about as and when CD will be ready.
It?s dragged on far too lone now and Geffen should take action to sort the situation out in a positive manner.
Mr Rose sounds like he needs a good kick in the arse and should stop talking shit and telling excuses for CD delay, legal issues my arse!  beer

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread is pointless. He will never drop the GN'R name - it's too welknown  peace
« Last Edit: June 28, 2004, 03:43:37 AM by shaun » Logged
YouCouldBeMine
Rocker

Nirvana Sucks

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2004, 04:36:06 AM »

Its worthless poor Axl's got an extreme case of the butterflys, I dont know if anyone noticed but VR got SHIT airplay on MTV,MTV2, and MTV Hits. Rap, weird ass alt rock, and shitty pop/punk/rock gets it all. I have no doubt personnaly he'll get the airplay when it comes out and the album will be great but I think its going to take a lawsuit from his record company (excluding whatever weird ass stipulations Axl might have had in his contract) before we even get a hint of a release date

"Get your ass inside right now and do what your mother says!"
"She's not my mother, Todd!"
tomass74
Legend

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2004, 06:19:44 AM »

I dont know if anyone noticed but VR got SHIT airplay on MTV,MTV2, and MTV Hits. Rap, weird ass alt rock, and shitty pop/punk/rock gets it all. I

Slither is on VH1 and MTV2 alot actually....

Anyway, I agree with the original post. There would be so much less pressure and the album will sell the same.  There are alot of people that won't buy this album as long as it is called GnR. He would get alot less ridicule too if he grew some nuts and brought this out as a new band, which it really is. There would still be comparisons but that is natural. He has already fucked shit up  and made this band look bad.  The guy will always be an icon no matter what happens from here, but imagine if he came out with this as a new band that was huge and the album was great??? That would make him a legend. Anyway, I have lost all respect for the freak.  Having the nuts to come out as something besides GnR would be the only thing he could do to earn my respect and interest back.  And before someone says "If you weren't interested you wouldnt be here". The only reason I am was because I was hoping there would be a Hollywood Rose thread.  ok

John Daniels
I wish I could edit this custom title.
VIP

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2004, 07:22:30 AM »

answer to the topic:

no it wouldn't, and CD is very well known name and that's why it's great promo for the following album.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2004, 07:23:57 AM by John Daniels » Logged
kujo722
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2004, 08:17:01 AM »

O.K., I'll play along. How do you know that this is a big factor why Axl hasn't released CD yet. Has he told you this, personally?
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2004, 09:41:25 AM »

The longer this process takes and the further from "Guns N' Roses" the music goes, it makes more and more sense to re-name the band or just go by Axl Rose.
Think back to the Sixties, Jefferson Airplane was a great band in the 60's, the band broke up leaving only one (possibly 2) original members, then went by the name Jefferson Starship, which got ripped apart, no matter how good they were (I'm not saying they were) they were crusified for using the 'Jefferson" link. So in the 80's the shortened it to Starship and released the 'biggest Piece of Shit' in "We built this City"...................It sucked, but did't tarnish the name Jefferson Airplane...most people don't realize it was the same people (person).

I guess my point is, let Axl draw GnR comparisons with another band name, but if he fails miserably he won't tarnish the name GnR with CD, and conversly if it is a hit , then he did it on his own............ You can be sure that if CD is a success he is going to hear that the only reason it sold is name recognition. How many times did you here people durring Rio, the VMA's and the 2002 tour say: "I thought Slash was still in the band, who are these guys?" Why should he be able to sell an album using the false pretense that you are getting "Guns N' Roses" (people think of Guns N' Roses as Axl and Slash), and don't give me that bullshit excuse that he bought the name. If "D" from this board had enough money he could buy the Gn'R name in a few years, and If I ever bought a Guns N Roses Album and heard D I'd be pissed.(no offense, I like what I've heard at dmusiconline.com (figured I'd throw the plug in there), but it's not GnR) Thats what 50% of the record buying public is going to get with Chinese Democracy.
yagami1gnr
Headliner

Sultans of swing

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2004, 10:40:53 AM »

I guess my point is, let Axl draw GnR comparisons with another band name, but if he fails miserably he won't tarnish the name GnR with CD, and conversly if it is a hit , then he did it on his own............ You can be sure that if CD is a success he is going to hear that the only reason it sold is name recognition. How many times did you here people durring Rio, the VMA's and the 2002 tour say: "I thought Slash was still in the band, who are these guys?" Why should he be able to sell an album using the false pretense that you are getting "Guns N' Roses" (people think of Guns N' Roses as Axl and Slash), and don't give me that bullshit excuse that he bought the name.

Please, stop with that. While I wouldn't really like Axl to continue using GNR name, it's his decision, not yours or mine. And please stop with that thing that few people only knows that only Axl and Dizzy are the only ones remainig from the old band. When you are in this cyber-time where you can find what is going on with your favorite band nowadays in just a matter of seconds (depending internet conection ofcourse), you cannot say that people doesn't know what's going on with GNR. And also don't say that people think that Slash was wearing a bucket and a mask (Slash has curly hair, b'head not) then if that was the case they will also thought that Slash has growth alot since the last time they saw him, and that izzy and Matt had a plastic surgery to look much younger, that duff  has gotten small and that gilby has gotten a haircut with a mullet and that andrea andreadis(sorry if I mispelled) had a big lyposuction job. Baka!
 peace
« Last Edit: June 28, 2004, 10:43:23 AM by yagami1gnr » Logged
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2004, 10:50:45 AM »

I guess my point is, let Axl draw GnR comparisons with another band name, but if he fails miserably he won't tarnish the name GnR with CD, and conversly if it is a hit , then he did it on his own............ You can be sure that if CD is a success he is going to hear that the only reason it sold is name recognition. How many times did you here people durring Rio, the VMA's and the 2002 tour say: "I thought Slash was still in the band, who are these guys?" Why should he be able to sell an album using the false pretense that you are getting "Guns N' Roses" (people think of Guns N' Roses as Axl and Slash), and don't give me that bullshit excuse that he bought the name.

Please, stop with that. While I wouldn't really like Axl to continue using GNR name, it's his decision, not yours or mine. And please stop with that thing that few people only knows that only Axl and Dizzy are the only ones remainig from the old band. When you are in this cyber-time where you can find what is going on with your favorite band nowadays in just a matter of seconds (depending internet conection ofcourse), you cannot say that people doesn't know what's going on with GNR. And also don't say that people think that Slash was wearing a bucket and a mask (Slash has curly hair, b'head not) then if that was the case they will also thought that Slash has growth alot since the last time they saw him, and that izzy and Matt had a plastic surgery to look much younger, that duff  has gotten small and that gilby has gotten a haircut with a mullet and that andrea andreadis(sorry if I mispelled) had a big lyposuction job. Baka!
 peace

I'm not saying that diehards don't know who makes up the NuGnR. But Die hard fans don't buy 7 million records. When some kid goes strolling through the local HMV or Virgin Mega Store  and spots Guns N' Roses: Chinese Democracy, unless he is a Huge fan, he is going to think Axl, Slash, and AFD..........when he hears silkworms he's gonna say WTF?............ why risk ruining a name that 5 people ( and as Axl like to call them, a few additional musicians) worked there asses off to create in one release by a solo project. Is Axl that nervous that his name alone won't sell?Huh

And I'm not saying people saw Buckethead and thought it was Slash in a mask........they bought the ticket thinking they were seeing Axl and Slash, not Axl and Circ de So Lame. Most of the record buying public will think that an album by Guns N' Roses...is Guns N' Roses (Axl and Slash)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2004, 10:54:39 AM by C0ma » Logged
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: