Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 06:28:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228550 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Is VR's "Spectacle" about Uncle Axl?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is VR's "Spectacle" about Uncle Axl?  (Read 4775 times)
axlsalinger
Rocker

All I got, is precious time...

« on: June 26, 2004, 07:40:23 PM »

Hey kids. Yes, it's that time again, where we analyze a new song to see what it's about. I think in this case it is possible that Velvet Revolver's new song "Spectacle" may be about Axl. I will add the lyrics and my reasoning below.

"Spectacle"

Take two to break and three to go

(It seems obvious that it is difficult for Axl to make a decision these days. This could refer to medication, analysis, psychics, etc., ie. one step forward, two steps back)

Hold me back you spectacle (Mother Fucker yeah)

(Axl is a spectacle who it could be argued held Slash/Duff/Matt back in the mid to late 90's.)

Kick me down with broken bones
You picked a fight now stand your ground

(suggests that Axl started the fight or is responsible for the problems).

You talk about it
Don't know what you want

(sounds like Axl to me).

In the back of someone else's car
You write the list
Well write me off

(I can visualize Axl in the back of a limousine writing a list of who's in GNR or something like that, perhaps threatening to "Take it away" from Slash, who has said that "Take it Away" from the first Snakepit record is about Axl).

Rocket bitch is blasting off (Right on target yeah)

(a reference to Axl and Rocket Queen?)

Boots laced up I'm here to go
In the end I'll stand alone

You talk about it
Don't know what you want
In the back of someone else's car

You lied about it
Bled another heart
Then began to fall apart

(Could refer to Axl).

It rains and you fall back down again

(constant delays with the new GNR).

It begins to rain and I'll knock you right back down again

(more delays with Chinese Democracy, while Slash moves forward with VR).

You incessant bitch you lied in wait for the last time now
I'm standing now
I'm standing now

(VR debuting at #1 on the Billboard charts).
« Last Edit: June 26, 2004, 07:44:08 PM by axlsalinger » Logged

When all is said and done,
We're not the only ones,
Who look at life this way
Dave_Rose
VIP

Cheese Sandwich

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2004, 07:48:08 PM »

Yeah some good points there but hey what do we know but very interesting read though.

EEEERRRR Little boy
jellyhead
Rocker

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2004, 09:09:34 PM »

Nice effort but you're really clutching at straws dude....these lyrics could be linked to any number of situations or people.  

My interpretation is that the lyrics are Scott talking about his stormy relationship with his wife.  Simple as.
Cowboy Buddha
VIP

Balls of Molten Steel

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2004, 09:53:40 PM »

Nice thoughts but I HIGHLY doubt Scott would sing about Axl.  It's mostly about his love life.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2004, 09:55:08 PM by A.N.G.E.L. » Logged

I will not change this Sig. until Vikings, Twins, Wild, T-Wolves or any MN teams win a Championship (10/16/06)
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2004, 10:12:19 PM »

Not even close
HoldenCaulfield
VIP

I strike to burn and no flame returns...

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2004, 12:25:23 AM »

Scott could say his ABC's and I still couldn't make heads or tails outta what he's saying. His lyrics make next to no sense whatsoever.

If a body meet a body, comin' through the rye...
Dizzy
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2004, 12:57:54 AM »

Nice thoughts but I HIGHLY doubt Scott would sing about Axl.  It's mostly about his love life.

Yeah, we know that Scott wrote all of VR's lyrics, so it's highly unlikely he wrote about Axl, someone who he doesn't know and was never in a band with.  If Slash, Duff, or Sorum had written the lyrics, you might have an argument, but since they didn't....
Mr Cowbell ?
Legend

HTGTH Powerslam Champion / Former WWE Game Champ

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2004, 01:59:58 AM »

You really are stretching there. Because Scott himself said the songs were about him beating his demons and his struggle with his wife. Unless his wife is Axl Rose they arent about her.

Ron Jeremy - BEND OVER.
Danny
VIP

I fucked your llama!

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2004, 02:12:16 AM »

I'm not sure either, but I actually was thinking the exact same thing when I first heard that tune.  It isn't too out-of-the park to think maybe Skinny McGee could have written lyrics based on things that The Guys Who Are Slash have told him about Axl.

-B

Thousands of GNR fans have died waiting for Chinese Democracy to be released.

www.wonderfulworldofdanny.com
Walapino
VIP

Double Talkin Jive Motherfucker!

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2004, 10:30:35 PM »

I think he would write about STP before writing about Axl who he didnt work with
axlsalinger
Rocker

All I got, is precious time...

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2004, 04:02:24 PM »

A couple of points:

-- The VR liner notes state that the lyrics are presented with the permission of Scott Weiland, but that all songs were written by all 5 members of the band (with the exception of 1, which had a 6th writer). As a result it is possible that Slash/Duff/Matt/Izzy wrote some of the lyrics, especially considering that a number of these songs were written (at least instrumentally) before Weiland joined the group. If we hypothetically assume that "Spectacle" was written by Slash and Izzy, perhaps even with some tinkering by Weiland, I highly doubt the album would then say "Lyrics printed with the permission of Scott Weiland, with the exception of Spectacle which is printed with the permission by Weiland, Slash and Izzy, which we point out just to let you know that it is about Axl Rose".

-- For example, the title for "Slither" existed before Weiland joined the group, although he wrote the lyrics.

-- Sure this argument is a bit of a stretch. I just think that Axl is much more likely to be called a "Spectacle" than Weiland's wife, and there are a few interesting lines in here that could apply.

-- I guess the question is, who is more likely to be referred to as a "incessant bitch" in a song by these guys? Axl or Scott's wife!!

When all is said and done,
We're not the only ones,
Who look at life this way
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2004, 04:28:25 PM »

A couple of points:

-- The VR liner notes state that the lyrics are presented with the permission of Scott Weiland, but that all songs were written by all 5 members of the band (with the exception of 1, which had a 6th writer). As a result it is possible that Slash/Duff/Matt/Izzy wrote some of the lyrics, especially considering that a number of these songs were written (at least instrumentally) before Weiland joined the group. If we hypothetically assume that "Spectacle" was written by Slash and Izzy, perhaps even with some tinkering by Weiland, I highly doubt the album would then say "Lyrics printed with the permission of Scott Weiland, with the exception of Spectacle which is printed with the permission by Weiland, Slash and Izzy, which we point out just to let you know that it is about Axl Rose".

-- For example, the title for "Slither" existed before Weiland joined the group, although he wrote the lyrics.

Give it up man...

-- I guess the question is, who is more likely to be referred to as a "incessant bitch" in a song by these guys? Axl or Scott's wife!!

Yes, because they are the only two people on Earth that could have possibly inspired the lyrics... Roll Eyes
coondogg
Rocker

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2004, 04:46:32 PM »

I doubt he wrote this about Axl. Scott wrote all of the lyrics and I doubt he really gives a shit about him. My guess would be, like most of the album is, it's about his wife/drug problems. I also wonder if he took lyrics/songs that were going to be on his second solo cd and used them for Contraband.
Dizzy
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2004, 06:52:58 PM »

As a result it is possible that Slash/Duff/Matt/Izzy wrote some of the lyrics. If we hypothetically assume that "Spectacle" was written by Slash and Izzy, I highly doubt the album would then say with the exception of Spectacle which is printed with the permission by Weiland, Slash and Izzy

I doubt it would say that either, since Izzy wrote no lyrics and no music for anything on the VR album.
justynius
Rocker

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2004, 09:21:05 PM »

Whether the intentions were (or were not) to trash "Uncle Axl," I think the one thing everyone can agree on is that this is just a really horrible song.
Dizzy
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2004, 10:06:22 PM »

I think the one thing everyone can agree on is that this is just a really horrible song.

Nope, I disagree.  None of the songs on Contraband are horrible.
the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2004, 10:24:27 PM »

I happen to think Dirty Little Thing is about Axl.

Dead men wishin they had gotten together with you girl

-the "dead" account for the fans that died in the 13 years (and counting) for his new material to surface.

-"girl" is Scott Weiland calling Axl a girl.

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
justynius
Rocker

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2004, 10:32:58 PM »

Horrible is relative to the listener, and I guess if there's people out there who like Blink182 and Jessica Simpson, there's certainly going to be some who like songs such as "Spectacle."

I guess I should have said "lacks any artistic merit."
F*ck Fear
VIP

Getcha Pull!

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2004, 11:11:52 AM »

I don't think it could be about Axl for one reason,Scott writes the lyrics and he has no problem with Axl does he?

11/29/2002 Toronto Canada
11/15/2006 Toronto Canada
01/24/2010 Hamilton Canada
11/28/2011 Hamilton Canada
07/15/2013 Toronto Canada
RitzWalker8
Rocker

I love my Pancreas!!!

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2004, 07:37:09 AM »

It is a marathon not a sprint.  We will see.  

Ritz Reeves III
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: