Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 09:22:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228551 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Ross Halfin writes about VR in his diary
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ross Halfin writes about VR in his diary  (Read 1555 times)
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« on: June 25, 2004, 09:20:54 AM »

June 8th

Los Angeles
Velvet Revolver are playing the Wiltern Theatre, a small but very sold out show. Go down to shoot it. I arrive early, Graham Cooper is the tour manager (English and a fine human being). He gives me an all access pass. I'm standing backstage when the doorman says "what are you doing here?" I reply "I'm a photographer with the band"... "HAS THIS BEEN CLEARED WITH THE BUILDING?" he shouts. I reply " I have no idea but you'll have to speak to the tour manager". "HEY LISTEN! I DON'T LIKE YOUR ENERGY".... Me, "What?". "You really have negative energy!!" ,he then proceeds to phone everyone he can to try to have me removed... I am just looking at him, it seems to piss him off even more.... He wants me to sign disclaimers and all sorts of legal documents, I politely refuse. The building people are such a bunch of arseholes. Thankfully Graham comes to my rescue.

See Duff. Haven't seen him for about 10 years, he is very friendly. Scott comes in and says hello. Slash wants to escape after soundcheck so we go over to a Korean food mall. It is like being in Korea....strange feeling.

The band go on late because they want to watch The Laker's game.

The show is good but not as good as the Roxy show.

June 9th
Second show at the Wiltern. I have a session with the band. Shoot them on the stairwell outside the dressing room. They do look very much the part, lots of attitude. Also try a bit of black and white art photos.....not sure if they'll work....we'll see.

The show tonight is great, just like the Roxy. Lots of vibe.... The Hollywood guest list is out in force. See a very large Amanda De Cadenet and a surprisingly slim and svelte Drew Barrymore with the bunch of posers known as the Strokes. Just looking at them, you can tell they are a pain. Off to Vegas on Friday to finish my shoot.

June 11th
Las Vegas...I am in for the day to shoot Velvet Revolver. This is a small gig at The Joint. They are also filming for Top of the Pops (English show). The filming is meant to start at 4pm. By 6:45pm no Scott Weiland. The band do some run throughs without him. He appears at 6:50pm, does one run through and his voice blows out. He's pissed off more with himself than anything else. The band reconvened for...how shall I put this...a meeting. I decide to reconvene to Nobu (very swish, expensive and exclusive sushi bar) in the Hard Rock Hotel. I see the concierge and ask for a table for 4.

We are sold out for a week she tells me with much attitude. I say, "I know Nobu the owner and chef and is he here?" or could she talk to him. "NO!" she replied and ignores me. It occurs to me I have Nobu's number in my phone. I ring him. Within 5 minutes he has rung me back. He's in New York. The conversation goes, "Hi Ross, no problem, whatever you need! Great to hear from you." I must say at this point I have known him for 20 years. I walk back to the hostess at the restaurant. She is looking rather panicked. "Ah, are you Ross? We have a table for you. (all of a sudden!)" Really I say, I thought you were sold out for a week." She smiles at me with no sincerity......"It's great to have you etc...." See...I can be a rockstar as well! Most Japanese restaurants seemed to be staffed by Japanese....the staff here seem to be staffed by homosexual actors. Well, the food is great despite the waiters who look like they should be holding a wand....

Back to The Joint...there is a great barricade in here so you can shoot without the audience crushing you to death. Also, the security are awesome...friendly, move out of your way.... I wish they were like this at all the shows. Great to shoot live. Only down side was that they came on an hour late...must be the "meeting".

June 12
12:05am flight back to Los Angeles. It's delayed and full and I am in economy (people who know me will understand). I am not happy! Get back to LA at 3:30am. I am in the joys of morphus (I think that is how you spell it) - the God of sleep. The phone rings. A very happy sounding Slash is on the phone. "Where did you go to?" he asks. "Are you coming to Phoenix?" "If you sort it out." I mumble.....5 am, the phone again..."It's sorted". "How was the show? I ask him. "I didn't really enjoy it, too much going on." he replied. "Slash, I'll talk to you later today." I say, trying to go back to
sleep.

Mid day...Slash calls. "I'm sorting everything out." What time did you get to bed?" I ask him. "OH, not late...I was asleep by 3." "You rang me after 5." I tell him. "WOW, must have been later." he laughs....I finally sleep by the pool.

Go to downtown LA to see Carmine Rojas play in a Brazilian tapas club. I end up at Dolce (a restaurant/bar recommended by Neil Zlozower). I have never had any urge to come here. It is fantastic. The bar looks like it's on fire
behind glass. A very nice Indonesian bartender called Daisy who rather likes herself alot. I have the sense to leave while I can remember things..

June 18th

---

Got the rest of my Velvet Revolver pics today. I'm very happy with them, I'll get them up ASAP

Pics available at: http://www.rosshalfin.co.uk/diary/june-2004/diary-june-2004.html

Thanks to Wendybird @ VRforum for finding this.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2004, 10:35:02 AM »

The band go on late because they want to watch The Laker's game.
hihi

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
darkmonth
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2004, 11:54:36 AM »

Man, I have to agree that's pretty funny  Wink

Still, at least they turned up! Wink

hehe
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: