Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 02, 2024, 08:10:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228145 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  in hindsight scott weiland was in fact the best choice by far!
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: in hindsight scott weiland was in fact the best choice by far!  (Read 6849 times)
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« on: June 24, 2004, 11:11:02 AM »

it came down to bach vs weiland and for a little bit i was on the bach bandwagon

i realized something though, name one skid row hit that bach did anything but sing on? i cant name any, im not real familiar with skid row's work but i do know that rachel bolan,snake sabo and maybe rob affuso wrote most of the stuff * i may be wrong if so i stand corrected*

but anyhow i broke out my skid row subhuman race cd a few minutes ago and to be quite honest i didnt make it past 4 songs

if slash and co had chose bach, VRs cd wouldve been like a straight to dvd movie

die hard fans wouldve bought it i suppose but it wouldnt be all over mtv,vh1 and radio like it has been cause when it boils down to it, scott has all the street cred and love from radio that VR needed

Scott's lyrics have improved with every listen now i understand more what he is tyrin to say, on written page alot of peoples lyrics arent all that and if i only listened to artists based on lyrics on a written page i would never be a bonjovi fan

so in hindsight do we all agree that scott was the absolute 100 percent best choice?

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
slashedguns
Rocker

Time went by and it all went up in smoke

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2004, 11:16:40 AM »

I agree,Scott has the charisma and talent .. I like him more and more with every listen too.

ASSESMENT: WASTE OF AMMO
Timothy
Big T
Banned
Legend

bourgeois democracy

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2004, 11:20:14 AM »

Agree Scott was the right choice.

?In China, Talk Of Democracy Is Simply That.?
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2004, 01:31:08 PM »

Like I said before they even picked a singer and everyone was hard for Bach.
That Weiland was the best choice for this band to have a chance to be popular.

Bach is the better singer but Weiland has more fans.

If Bach was in the band then they would have used Izzys lyrics so the songs may have been better and the album could have been better but the band would not have been as popular because the band would have been looked at as an 80s retread band.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2004, 01:33:31 PM »

Izzy would have been much better - okay they may not have got the press attention - but if ur intrested in music and not album sales then Izzy would have been the man

Scott has the stage presence and all the gimmicks but we'd have had a better rock album with Izzy at the helm

Quick! To the bandwagon!
matt88
Riding The Nightrain
Legend

Slash is the King

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2004, 01:42:56 PM »

Yep agreed. I really don't see anyone else who i can picture besides Scott as VR frontman.

"I've been draggin my heels with a bitch called hope let the undercurrent drag me along"
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2004, 01:52:35 PM »

Scott was picked to sell albums its that simple.
Josh todd would have been a better choice too but slash figured with scott they will get the stp fans to buy the album too.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2004, 02:13:12 PM »

Josh todd would have been a better choice too but slash figured with scott they will get the stp fans to buy the album too.

I'm liking Scott more and more myself. Wouldn't Josh Todd have been able to bring Buckcherry fans with him, though? I know Timebomb didn't sell all that well, although it was better overall than self-titled, but I'm sure it didn't sell that much less than STP's latest offering. For all of Scott's cred, it did not do too much for people wanting to buy Shangri. It was probably only the die hards...

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2004, 02:36:49 PM »

Which is why they dropped Todd before Weiland was even a realistic option... Roll Eyes

Absolutely clueless, as usual.

Like I said before they even picked a singer and everyone was hard for Bach.
That Weiland was the best choice for this band to have a chance to be popular

OMG yur such a profit!1!

You also said that they would have really sucked with Bach...then you said Bach is a better singer/songwriter than Weiland...Youre even clueless as to your own opinions.
the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2004, 02:47:38 PM »

Although he's a better vocalist, there's no way Baz is a better songwriter. As the guys in Skid Row said, the band began to collapse when Baz decided that he wanted to write too, and he had no clue as to what he was trying to do.

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
AxlFink
VIP

thelesserkings.com

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2004, 02:53:12 PM »

Josh Todd has a better voice and wo9uld have been really cool.  Bach would be amazing but they would have been stuck with an 80's image.   Weiland has changed my mind a bit about the band(I actually dont hate them and kinda like them)  

also.... did Chris Robinson really try out?  I'd have gone with him.  His solo shows have been amazing.

Actually, if I really think about it.... I may have picked Booker Floyd.  He'd be the best choice by far.
Rebecca Duff Rose
Roxi McK
VIP

Kool Ranch Dres'ing

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2004, 03:27:17 PM »

I was actually going to set up a thread similar to praise Scott!

I am just sooooo pleased VR got Scott- i mean we wouldnt have such great lyrics without him!

He is a HUGE part of VR!
I mean they all are- but i'm soooooo pleased how he handles the press, and how he sings his wonderful songs, and how he gels with the band!
I praise him! I really do!

He's just a great frontman- i love how he sways in "Slither", its very sexual, but artistic if you know what i mean!

His hair in da vid is lush too- i mean he's got the look- VR is sooooooooooooo much better with Scott, than without him, you know!

He brings a hard-rockin' spirit to the group- i mean they're more mysterious! You know- they're like you never know what'll happen next kinda thing, and its exciting to see their next videos, and album, and interviews etc.!
They're a HOT new band- that'll stick around i think!
They got the chemistry you know!
They rock!

I'm sowwy - i'm not good with words!  Roll Eyes

Hopefully you guys understand where i'm coming from?

SLASH- "Guitar solos are back," he said with a grin through his long, curly mane.
GNR- The hardworking band that once called themselves FAMILY!!!
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2004, 09:09:22 PM »

u are absolutely right rebecca duff!!!!!!!!!!

scott's moves are excellent! i love just watchin him dance

i became a scott fan watchin the sour girl video

josh todd?  please he cant carry scotts microphone case!

Dizzy
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2004, 09:39:07 PM »

i realized something though, name one skid row hit that bach did anything but sing on? i cant name any, im not real familiar with skid row's work but i do know that rachel bolan,snake sabo and maybe rob affuso wrote most of the stuff * i may be wrong if so i stand corrected*

You're correct, Rachel Bolan wrote the vast majority of Skid Row lyrics, Sebastian only cowrote one song on their first album, and it was most likely just the vocal melody that he wrote then.

Bach cowrote a few songs on their next album Slave to the Grind, and he is not actually a bad lyricist, but he is definitely a better singer than he is a songwriter.  Simply put, Seb is one of the best singers alive.

but anyhow i broke out my skid row subhuman race cd a few minutes ago and to be quite honest i didnt make it past 4 songs

I hope you don't judge Skid Row as a whole on that album, because that album sucked except for "Eileen" and "Into Another".

so in hindsight do we all agree that scott was the absolute 100 percent best choice?

I'm with you all the way.  I love Seb Bach, I've seen him live and he's an incredible singer and frontman, but he's much better on his own, and VR is much better with Weiland.  I completely agree with what Slash said: "[with Bach] We sounded too much like Skid Row."  Weiland was from a slightly different musical genre, so he was able to cross over successfully into the pure rock n roll that VR is, and he was able to pull it off.  Weiland sounds great and perfect on all the VR songs.
Top-Hatted One
VIP

AKA Slash_is_God

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2004, 11:45:40 PM »

I agree with everything the creator of this post said!

I too was pulling for Baz....until I bought STP's "Thank You" DVD/CD Greatest Hits package. Now I realize that it would've totally sucked. Axl would've also worked because he's also miles ahead of Baz as a great frontman
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2004, 01:31:45 AM »

I can't believe that anyone was surprised that it was Weiland as if it was a hard decision. No offense but Bach is past his prime. It was a no brainer in fact, it all came down to whether Weiland wanted to be in VR instead of the other way around.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
SLCPUNK
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2004, 01:31:48 AM »

I would have been happy with either.
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2004, 02:07:38 AM »

I think Scott was a good choice, although I too was hoping for Bach to make the cut to begin with.

I think Baz could've easily handled all the old GN'R tracks with no vocal problems at all, and also if they wanted to head into a more classic rock musical direction, but obviously they didn't, so Scott suits them better.

I highly doubt the move to get Scott was based on album sales, as Dave keeps harping on about, but rather for their musical direction they were going in.

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2004, 02:28:57 AM »

maybe they didnt take bach because of some of his similarities to axl and they wanted to be sure they were not comparable at all to GNR anymore than they already were

bach is an amazing singer

slave to the grind cd is my fav skid row cd but i think scott has more vocal melodies, bach sounds kinda the same on most songs in my opinion

SLCPUNK
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2004, 02:42:40 AM »

He has a great range for sure.
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: