Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 05:14:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228551 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Blabbermouth review
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blabbermouth review  (Read 9644 times)
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2004, 11:47:30 PM »

Rolling Stone gave UYI I and II **** 1/2 out of ***** each. I think they are a pretty reputable source. To this day, I still listen to both albums; i can't say the same for AFD which is dated plus I can't get into songs about womanizing, drugging, and getting into fights.  UYI is much more complex and fulfilling emotionally.

If you don't think UYI is great then I don't think Chinese Democracy will be for you, at ALL.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
TyRod Tulip
War-huh What is it good for?
Banned
VIP

Sweetness is a virtue and you lost your virtue long ago

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2004, 11:48:52 PM »

I have to disagree with you big time. NR is a timeless song, you might think the song is overproduced ( in what way exactly may i ask?), but most people love the song and consider it a classic. You will find the song at the top of most charts and lists, and i am yet to find someone outside the 'GnR circle' that criticises the song, whatever their age or music preferance.

It is just my opinion.  I would prefer a less 'grand' production for a more 'raw' production.  That's all.  I know that most people like the song, but it is honestly a song I skip every time in my cd player.  (The video was awesome though).

On topic, its just the reviewers opinion.  I wish that reviewers were required to listen to a whole album 5 times before critiquing it.   Undecided

-TyRod-
TyRod Tulip
War-huh What is it good for?
Banned
VIP

Sweetness is a virtue and you lost your virtue long ago

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2004, 11:52:30 PM »

Rolling Stone gave UYI I and II **** 1/2 out of ***** each. I think they are a pretty reputable source. To this day, I still listen to both albums; i can't say the same for AFD which is dated plus I can't get into songs about womanizing, drugging, and getting into fights.  UYI is much more complex and fulfilling emotionally.

If you don't think UYI is great then I don't think Chinese Democracy will be for you, at ALL.

I think the UYIs albums were very good ... just like I think CB is very good.  I think AFD is FUCKING amazing!  The best album cover to cover that I know of.  I hope that CD is at least very good.  That about sums it up for me.  If CD is as good as the UYI albums, I will be very happy.

-TyRod-
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2004, 12:30:06 AM »

Time to come out of your cave and greet the real world younggunner. You and relatively few others think UYI is a "great" album. Most of the music world views it/them as good or very good, and that is roughly how I see Contraband at this point. Hence my comparison of the two. In my original post I try to emphasize objectivity in reviewing Contraband. That means a balance of personal opinion and impartial analysis. Stop assuming that your PERSONAL OPINION about UYI should be regarded as an immutable fact that the rest of us should come to like an oasis in the desert.  
Ill come out of my cave when Contraband sells half of what the illusions sold. Hows that?

Im objectively reviewing the two albums....In CB I get a descent record and in the Illusions I get a record with guitars and greta lyrics. I get songs that werent even released that are GNRS best creations. In the illusions I get timeless songs that are still being played today.

IN CB I get an everage effort. Yea its better than some of the stuff that sout there, but thats not saying much. Especially when its a supergroup and has much more talent than they displayed on the album. I get an album that had good parts and pieces but not 1 songs except maybe YGNR that captures all of the bands talents in 1 song. SOme songs I get cool lyircs with boring music and vice versa....
And most of all we will not be hearing any of these songs on the radio in 10 yrs.

The illusions arent AFD, we know that but it wasnt meant to be. It was not a complete simple rnr record. They did different things. Plus the Illusions has 2 people on that album. Mr Rose and STradlin.

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Johnnyblood
VIP

Nothing.

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2004, 12:33:14 AM »

Then you think wrong. I expect CD to be much closer to Axl's vision than UYIs were. I already like the new songs a lot more than anything from UYI.

One of the problems with UYI was that Axl tried to ride the fence between his own neurotic impulses and going along with the rest of the band.

Even Axl was disappointed with how UYIs turned out. This board is really the only place I find people who regard UYIs as classic albums.

Yes I read the RS review -- when it came out no less, junior. Those reviews, and the amount of airplay YCB, Don't Cry, November Rain received on MTV and radio, were more the result of momentum created by Appetite, and the label support that it afforded, than anything else. Hell they gave Mick Jagger's last solo album 5 stars. Big fuckin deal.

These days, not many people other than the UYI cultists get super excited when November Rain or You Could Be Mine come on the radio.

I've seen enough.
Mr Cowbell ?
Legend

HTGTH Powerslam Champion / Former WWE Game Champ

« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2004, 01:27:55 AM »

Another thread ruined by people bringing in CD and UYI and comparing them and AFD. this thread was suppose to be about the bad review they gave CB. Someone should just lock this thread

Ron Jeremy - BEND OVER.
SlashFan
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2004, 01:53:14 AM »

Then you think wrong. I expect CD to be much closer to Axl's vision than UYIs were. I already like the new songs a lot more than anything from UYI.

One of the problems with UYI was that Axl tried to ride the fence between his own neurotic impulses and going along with the rest of the band.

Even Axl was disappointed with how UYIs turned out. This board is really the only place I find people who regard UYIs as classic albums.

Yes I read the RS review -- when it came out no less, junior. Those reviews, and the amount of airplay YCB, Don't Cry, November Rain received on MTV and radio, were more the result of momentum created by Appetite, and the label support that it afforded, than anything else. Hell they gave Mick Jagger's last solo album 5 stars. Big fuckin deal.

These days, not many people other than the UYI cultists get super excited when November Rain or You Could Be Mine come on the radio.

This thread is all bullshit.Axl doesn't have some fucking grand vision of what things should be.UYI and all of GN'R albums were/are great.VR is great,2 different bands.Music critics never know what the fuck they are talking about.
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2004, 05:24:09 AM »

C'mon people!! Alike reviews are necessary. If a rock band had all positive reviews, amazing live shows, people's recognition and a number #1 selling album, would that be a rock band?

Take it for what is worth, it's just an album review.

Truth is, I do agree with some of the comments the writer makes. The album gets boring after a while. other than that, I find the review quite humorous, that's all.

eNgIeS
Rocker

OHHHH RIGGGHHHTT

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2004, 02:53:21 AM »

Fuck!

Enough with the comparisons.

First off ... the original comment warranted a reply. So don't say it was all YG's fault. It was just as much JB's fault. And TT you just took it a step further. (This doesn't mean you're absolved YG.)  

Agreed, also to people on both sides of the fence (VR Fans, non VR fans) stop posting your opinion like its a fact
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2004, 11:35:20 AM »

Anyone read the fan reviews of the album.
And most of those comments are non board member comments and they basically say the album is average to mediocre.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2004, 11:37:05 AM »

This thread is all bullshit.Axl doesn't have some fucking grand vision of what things should be.UYI and all of GN'R albums were/are great.VR is great,2 different bands.Music critics never know what the fuck they are talking about.

Why is it when VR gets a great review you praise the review yet when they get a bad one critics NEVER know what they are talking  about.

So are the critics who praise the album not know what they are talking about either?

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Dizzy
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2004, 05:46:05 PM »

Why is it when VR gets a great review you praise the review yet when they get a bad one critics NEVER know what they are talking  about.

So are the critics who praise the album not know what they are talking about either?

Well Dave, I must say that I agree with you, good and bad reviews are all equally valid.

However, I must say that your reply reminded me of all the reviews of Axl's 2002 shows.  It always seemed that if Axl was praised in a review, that reviewer was considered FUCKING AWESOME DUDE! to Axl fans on the board, but if he got a negative review, no matter how well-written it was, the Axl board's reaction would be FUCK THAT GUY!  HE DOESN'T KNOW WHAT THE FUCK HE'S TALKING ABOUT!

But let's just stop with the stupid, futile comparisons.
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: