Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 04, 2024, 11:46:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228151 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  estranged live era
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: estranged live era  (Read 13794 times)
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2004, 01:53:03 PM »

What Guitars??There?s no modified-re-recorded guitars on Live Era.The only guitar that?s changed is on Rocket Queen, That there is no Gilby-guitar, just Slash.Apart from that all the guitars don?t sound like re-recorded. no

Baby Slash//

Listen to Pretty Tied Up from Live Era then listen to it from Tokyo, then tell me that the guitars weren't re-worked........
Malcolm
Legend

You're In The Jungle Toronto,You're Gonna Dieee

« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2004, 02:31:38 PM »

Ill have to go home and listen to this album most carefully?which songs are we arguing were re done?

I Dont Want To Change The World,I Dont Want The World To Change Me
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2004, 03:35:14 PM »

The only guitar that?s changed is on Rocket Queen, That there is no Gilby-guitar, just Slash.//
I really dunno why they did it. Fuck, it's the only song on Live Era with no 2nd guitar!! And this song is the best rhythm guitar work ever!!! (ok, it's top 5 at least)
Izzy played a lot better than Gilby in this track but Gilby is better than nothing! When Slash starts the ending solo we only can hear that annoying Dizzy's keyboard in background.  no
They could put the Tokyo version (even with a lot of fucked ups) with Axl new vocals and it would be way better. Undecided
« Last Edit: June 20, 2004, 03:38:17 PM by Voodoochild » Logged

Eduardo
VIP

Its just that demon life has got him in its sway

« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2004, 04:49:05 PM »

I really dunno why they did it. Fuck, it's the only song on Live Era with no 2nd guitar!! And this song is the best rhythm guitar work ever!!! (ok, it's top 5 at least)
Izzy played a lot better than Gilby in this track but Gilby is better than nothing! When Slash starts the ending solo we only can hear that annoying Dizzy's keyboard in background.  no
They could put the Tokyo version (even with a lot of fucked ups) with Axl new vocals and it would be way better. Undecided

Yeah the Tokio version is the best ever for this song. That ending solo, when Slashs guitar and Axls voice complement each other is great.

BTW, theres no rhythm guitar in Estranged either
Slashly
Harley Davidson
VIP

-blank-

« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2004, 07:00:22 PM »

Yeah the Tokio version is the best ever for this song....

No way!!The best RQ live is Ritz 88!!!Yeah!!

Once I was wondering this and I listened only to my left speaker: I thought there was a very very low rithm guitar, but it may be Slash guitar(wich is actually on the right side)
Damn, I?ll take a good listen now.......

Baby Slash//
« Last Edit: June 20, 2004, 07:19:42 PM by Slashly » Logged

"But a bottle of vodka still lies in my hand some blonde gave me nughtmares, I think that you`re still in my head"
Eduardo
VIP

« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2004, 07:17:50 PM »

No way!!The best RQ live is Ritz 88!!!Yeah!!

No way dude. They fucked up all the time, Axl forgets to sing in some parts. Its just fucked up. The best for sure is Tokio. That Slash solo after that rap thing is awesome
Dizzy
« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2004, 07:29:24 PM »

No way dude. They fucked up all the time, Axl forgets to sing in some parts.

No, Axl didn't "forget" to sing that song at the Ritz '88 show, he got pissed about something and walked offstage.  So yes, two parts of "Rocket Queen" from that show are missing vocals.
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2004, 07:31:18 PM »

SCOM live erea version was totally redone in studio
and one thing about "nightrain": the mix and Axl's re-recording voice KICK ASS!
the mix on "nightrain" is phenomenal! the sound is really impressive. I hope we will heard a mix like that in "chinese democracy"...

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2004, 07:51:17 PM »

If SCOM was totally redone in the studio then why does axl sound like shit?
Like I said, if it was tototally redone i the studio axl would have sounded like he did at the end of big daddy scom, but he does not.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Eduardo
VIP

« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2004, 08:02:19 PM »

Like I said, if it was tototally redone i the studio axl would have sounded like he did at the end of big daddy scom, but he does not.

I think I am the only one who thinks Axl sounds good on SCOM. He sounds exaclty the same as in the other Live Era songs
Slashly
Harley Davidson
VIP

-blank-

« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2004, 08:06:35 PM »

He sounds exaclty the same as in the other Live Era songs

Do you mean like shit?Really dude, from 91 on Axl singed SCOM  horrible .
But in 87, 88, 89, he sounded awsome!

Baby Slash//

"But a bottle of vodka still lies in my hand some blonde gave me nughtmares, I think that you`re still in my head"
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2004, 08:09:42 PM »

My guess is that when re-recording vocals they were still going for a live sound. If they didn't go for that live sound then it woud have been torn apart. Like Paul Stanley said all live albums are touched up, but they still have to sound live.
Big Daddy wasn't meant to sound authenticly live.
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #52 on: June 20, 2004, 09:08:29 PM »

Axl cant make his voice sound like its blown out (and that is how he sounds on SCOM).  They just cleaned up a vocal track from another version.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #53 on: June 21, 2004, 02:02:06 AM »

Yeah the Tokio version is the best ever for this song. That ending solo, when Slashs guitar and Axls voice complement each other is great.

Haha, I just listened to Estranged again. Two things about this:

1) There's no second guitar in the first half. Only Slash. Suddenly, when Dizzy goes with the piano solo, the clean rhythm guitar (Izzy/Gilby with Slash) starts. I assume that the second half of the song was from another source/show and...

2) When Axl sings "... and you don't walk so proud anymore and what for.." I can hear him singing (turned the volume really loud to hear this) "wow" right before Slash's solo. Exactly how he did in Tokyo. I guess Axl recorded the vocal over the original track.

Something like this happens in SCOM. When Slash plays the intro, I can hear (again, had to put very loud) Axl singing the ending of Bad Times (...to be in looooooooove..).
My point is: maybe the first half of Estranged and Rocket Queen could be only studio takes over some random drums/bass (??) live tracks. Can't think in another reason to not put rhythm guitar in Estranged first half and Rocket Queen.  Huh
« Last Edit: June 21, 2004, 06:26:46 PM by Voodoochild » Logged

Skeba
Laugh Whore
Legend

Comedy is tragedy plus time

« Reply #54 on: June 21, 2004, 02:20:34 AM »

Baby Slash//

This is something that has always bothered me for some reason.. In my opinion one of the main reasons Estranged is as good as it is, is because there are the 2 guitars, on parts even three which you can clearly tell apart... This is very characteristic in all of the live shows after '90 or something. Izzy's or Gilby's guitars can only be heard in very few parts, like in the beginning of Don't Cry. Usually the 2nd guitar just drowns there, which I think is a pity. Not saying Slash's playing wasn't enough... Just that I think many of the songs would've been better if a decent rythm was present.

I've created an atmosphere where I?m a friend first, moderator second. Probably entertainer third.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #55 on: June 21, 2004, 02:35:38 AM »

Baby Slash//

This is something that has always bothered me for some reason.. In my opinion one of the main reasons Estranged is as good as it is, is because there are the 2 guitars, on parts even three which you can clearly tell apart... This is very characteristic in all of the live shows after '90 or something. Izzy's or Gilby's guitars can only be heard in very few parts, like in the beginning of Don't Cry. Usually the 2nd guitar just drowns there, which I think is a pity. Not saying Slash's playing wasn't enough... Just that I think many of the songs would've been better if a decent rythm was present.
Like I said above, actually there's 2 guitars in Estranged, but only in the 2nd half.
But I agree with you, I think it's a shame. I love Slash, but the songs were made with 2 (or more) guitar tracks. Sounds wierd and like missing the heavy sound.
That's what I liked with the 3 guitars new line-up. All the guitar work in Rocket Queen was there. Smiley

matt88
Riding The Nightrain
Legend

Slash is the King

« Reply #56 on: June 21, 2004, 05:40:28 AM »

Why all this re-recording. Why didn't they just record the songs and release them the way they are. Thats the only way to get their unique sound live.

"I've been draggin my heels with a bitch called hope let the undercurrent drag me along"
Dizzy
« Reply #57 on: June 21, 2004, 06:13:28 PM »

Why all this re-recording. Why didn't they just record the songs and release them the way they are.

Well the vocals are obvious, we all know Axl has an incredible insecurity complex, so he undoubtedly did not like the sound of his voice on many tracks.

As far as the guitars go, maybe there was a blatant error and they didn't want it on the record.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #58 on: June 21, 2004, 06:25:01 PM »

As far as the guitars go, maybe there was a blatant error and they didn't want it on the record.
Yes, like Estranged. At the ending of the piano solo, Slash play in the wrong time (before it needed) in the original version in Tokyo. In Live Era, he re-recorded the guitar (altought I still can hear the original record under the new one).

Dizzy
« Reply #59 on: June 21, 2004, 06:37:14 PM »

Yes, like Estranged. At the ending of the piano solo, Slash play in the wrong time (before it needed) in the original version in Tokyo. In Live Era, he re-recorded the guitar (altought I still can hear the original record under the new one).

I'm not sure if I buy that one, because there is another error Slash made in that recording that isn't fixed on Live Era, it's the original guitar from Tokyo.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: