Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 01:15:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228530 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Production/Mix of CB
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Production/Mix of CB  (Read 1642 times)
GNR_Green
VIP

Green Army

« on: June 13, 2004, 01:52:25 PM »

How does everyone deal with the mix and production sound of Contraband?  Like or not like?

Personally, I think they've tried to do something to make it sound raw or whatever, but they've got it all wrong.  The vocals and the lead guitar are so quiet compared to the bass and rhythm guitar.  What's that all about?  What idiot thought it would be better to be able to hear rhythm over the lead???  It makes it hard to hear the solos and some of Slash's playing.  It's also difficult to hear Weiland, surely the vocals should be on top of everything else.  Even the drums are too low down.

I played it on a good stereo and made the sound as 'light' and 'sharp' as I could but still the bass and rhythm were overpowering.

"Said if they had someone to buy it, Said I'm sure they'd sell my soul"
tomass74
Legend

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2004, 09:18:43 PM »

I think the music is mixed great. But I also think that at times the vocals are mixed to low.  

vicarious existence
Rocker

It's been 14 years of silence...

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2004, 10:56:32 PM »

I think that the vocals are fine, but I agree about the leads. Many times throughout the album I have to kind of stuggle to hear the leads that Slash is playing during verses and stuff. At first I thought that it sounded like Dave and Slash were playing the same exact chords a lot of the time. But only after paying close attention did I hear some of the leads better underneath the loud rhythm.

That's one of the things that I thought made GNR's production better... I like it when the leads are overpowering the rhythm and not the other way around (hence why they're called "leads"...). I hope they drop this nu-metal producer and get someone else for the next album.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2004, 10:58:47 PM by SlashNBurn » Logged

IamRyanDean: Axl just walked out on stage, dropped his pants, pissed all over the front row and then left.  mumbled somethign about "how is that for a leak fuckers"
darkmonth
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2004, 08:04:07 AM »

It's got good production.  If you dont like it, well, tuff.  Because most of us do.  They ain't changing for you.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: