Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 05:27:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228530 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  The Lyrics on CB
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Lyrics on CB  (Read 10207 times)
WagMyDog
doesn't HATE big boobs
VIP

Tyr's hand...

« on: June 13, 2004, 07:48:29 AM »

So there's a thread on the solos on CB, but what I really want to know is what do you think of the lyrics on CB?

The only song with lyrics that stand out is HeadSpace.

I dunno ... when you talk about songs like FTP/LTA/YGNR .. they often seem lacking lyrically. Incomplete.

And sometimes it gets even worse because it seems cliched.

Now I loved Scott's voice on a number of songs. But this was before I read the lyrics. I mean he's outstanding on many tracks .. Illegal I/FTP/HeadSpace/YGNR/LTA .... but lyrically he only stands out on one.

How is this compared to his work in STP?

No.
Miz
Dog treats!
Legend

Everything Louder Than Everything Else

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2004, 12:34:52 PM »

I agree headspace probably has the best lyrics on the album, but I don't like the phrasing when he says "..fuckers in my headspace" it sounds crap to me.  The rest of the song I like though.

I think all the vocal melodies are pretty awesome, but the lyrics are deffinitely the low point of the album for me.  I mean, what the fuck is he talking about "I never noticed how lovely the aliens were"Huh  It doesn't even seem to be a strange metaphor tieing in with the rest of the song.  It just seems like random crap.

I honestly believe if Axl had been given these tracks, and had been allowed to arrange them, and write new lyrics and vocals, this album would be three times better than it is.

Basically Scott sounds like an amateur.

Steven's drumming made the band; he made a big musical difference.  His sense of swing was the push and pull that gave those songs their feel, afterwards, nothing worked. ~ Izzy Stradlin
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2004, 12:54:19 PM »

I mean, what the fuck is he talking about "I never noticed how lovely the aliens were"Huh  It doesn't even seem to be a strange metaphor tieing in with the rest of the song.  It just seems like random crap.

So because youre unsure of its meaning, it has none?  

I honestly believe if Axl had been given these tracks, and had been allowed to arrange them, and write new lyrics and vocals, this album would be three times better than it is.

Sigh...

Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2004, 12:55:51 PM »

I like VR and i like the way Scott sings

But the lyrics are a disagrace - they make no sense, any one of us can write random lyrics about doing drugs - the skill is to write emotive coherant lyrics that mean something to the audience - take Paradise City for example, do the lyrics literally mean anything? No - but they create the appropriate image and emotion

Buts whats Sucker Train Blues about for example? Oh u can guess - but the lyrics mean nothing

Not one song on Contraband means anything to me thank good the guitars etc compensate!

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Old Man In Chains
Opening Act

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2004, 01:02:08 PM »

I think the lyrics are solid overall.  Some of it does seem to be nonsense i.e. "Sucker Train Blues" but I am sure it means something to Scott.  Scott is definitely less wordy than Axl, but it works most of the time.  As for LTA I think the "I never noticed how lovely were the aliens" line refers to Scott's children.  I think it is a cool line and fits well with the song.  Just because you don't understand it, doesn't mean it doesn't make sense.

With your bitch slap rappin' and your cocaine tongue you get nothing done
Izzy
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2004, 01:53:38 PM »

Just because you don't understand it, doesn't mean it doesn't make sense.

Yes - but in this case the lyrics really don't make sense - but worse they don't really create an image or emotion which lyrics should - u can't relate to the lyrics either - over all, not a great effort by Scott...

Quick! To the bandwagon!
TyRod Tulip
War-huh What is it good for?
Banned
VIP

Sweetness is a virtue and you lost your virtue long ago

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2004, 02:18:29 PM »

The lyrics on CB are not outstanding.  They are good, but not great.  However, the music is exceptional.  If you gave these songs to Axl and told him to write lyrics and sing the songs without him having any input in the music, you'd get a great fucking album IMO!  

I'd be afraid to give him a say in what I consider to be outstanding music as it is now.  I'm afraid he'd rework it a million times and add orchestration and voice over nonesense, and the music would lose its hard edge.

But Axl is superior to Scott when it comes to writing lyrics.  It takes him longer also.

-TyRod-
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2004, 02:22:31 PM »

Yes - but in this case the lyrics really don't make sense

First of all, even so-called nonsensical lyrics are open to interpreatation.

Second, who are you to determine whether they make sense or not?  You dont understand them...If they make sense to Scott and others, then what do you know?

- but worse they don't really create an image or emotion which lyrics should - u can't relate to the lyrics either -

Speak for yourself.
Izzy
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2004, 02:31:59 PM »

Second, who are you to determine whether they make sense or not?  You dont understand them...If they make sense to Scott and others, then what do you know?

- but worse they don't really create an image or emotion which lyrics should - u can't relate to the lyrics either -

Speak for yourself.

Hi Booker - one wonders if visit the board just to disagree with people

Even u - the world's most zealous VR fan (oh dear....i'll be in trouble for that), even u can't claim the lyrics make sense or are very good - if i cared i would post in sections to demonstrate Scott is either still on drugs or has no idea what to write any more Tongue

And...u say u can relate to the lyrics? So ur a recovering drug addict who's wife has just taking your children off with her? Damn, sorry to hear that man.

Quick! To the bandwagon!
oldleadbelly
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2004, 02:33:40 PM »

Speak for yourself.

Booker is right.  Just because they don't make sense to you, doesn't mean they are nonsensical.  They mean something to scott, and no matter how much fans want to be greedy and think the lyrics should be accessible to them on first listen, it's scott and the band's song, not yours.  I personally believe STB is written about a heroin trip.  Scott did this on STP's 'trippin on a hole in a paper heart'.  By the title, you can see that the lyrics don't make sense on a traditional level, but who cares.  I think scott's mysterious lyrics take the imagery to another level.  Kind of makes the songs bigger than just your ordinary rock song.  A lot of it is difficult to understand, but i find it fascinating to peer into the mind of a bi-polar heroin addict.
Rebecca Duff Rose
Roxi McK
VIP

Kool Ranch Dres'ing

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2004, 02:38:51 PM »

THEY FUCKIN' RULE!

I'm tellin' you guys that these lyrics DO make sense- its just how we INTERPRET them!

The lyrics are mainly based around Scotts life!

I think his voice fits the music fine!
He is Gunner go far!
He rocks!
I mean i adore YGNR- but all of the songs rock- bothe lyric wise, voice wise, and also music wise!  beer

Velvet Revolver Rock!

SLASH- "Guitar solos are back," he said with a grin through his long, curly mane.
GNR- The hardworking band that once called themselves FAMILY!!!
Mr Cowbell ?
Legend

HTGTH Powerslam Champion / Former WWE Game Champ

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2004, 03:49:01 PM »

He is Gunner go far!

He is a gunner so far? What does that exactly mean?

Ron Jeremy - BEND OVER.
Old Man In Chains
Opening Act

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2004, 03:57:17 PM »

Yes - but in this case the lyrics really don't make sense - but worse they don't really create an image or emotion which lyrics should - u can't relate to the lyrics either - over all, not a great effort by Scott...

Just because you personally relate to them, doesn't mean that nobody relates to them.  LTA connects with me very much, as much as any GNR ballad.  Other songs that connect with me lyrically are Headspace, Big Machine, YGNR, FTP, Slither.  Some of the songs I am not quite sure exactly what Scott is singing about, but lyrics are only one way to get across a meaning.  There is also tone and atmosphere and attitude.  I think Scott does a good job of using other more abstract artisitic words and singing styles that leave the songs open to interpretation.  That's just my opinoin though, I am not trying to present it as a fact as you seem to do with your opinions.

With your bitch slap rappin' and your cocaine tongue you get nothing done
Mr Cowbell ?
Legend

HTGTH Powerslam Champion / Former WWE Game Champ

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2004, 04:03:39 PM »

I think the difference in lyrics from Scott's Writing to Axl's writing is simple. Axl's writing in songs seem to tell a story. They are songs people will sing along and can relate to. Scott's lyrics are the kind people will sing along to and interept in a way to make sense to each listener.

Axl the story teller with his wonderful novels that make great ballads and his rockers who makes us drink that extra drink at the bar when we hear his songs. Songs like Nov Rain can be related to about the true love that just wont last

Scott the poet. With his lyrics that make sense to some and make no sense to others. Like a true poet they can be interepted in any way the listener likes. FTP could be interepted in many ways by the listener

Ron Jeremy - BEND OVER.
Izzy
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2004, 05:21:29 PM »

Eventually i will copy down a load of VR lyrics to illustrate my point - but instead i will just ask u open ur booklets infront of u

Some how i don't think the worlds great lyricists are quaking in their boots.....

Anyway to keep this thread vaguely intresting:

What do people think each song is about - i don't detect any meaning to any of them - 'rape my tapeworm abortion' Roll Eyes - so maybe between us we can get some idea of what Scott thought he was writing about.....

Quick! To the bandwagon!
oldleadbelly
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2004, 05:56:50 PM »

Eventually i will copy down a load of VR lyrics to illustrate my point - but instead i will just ask u open ur booklets infront of u

Some how i don't think the worlds great lyricists are quaking in their boots.....

Anyway to keep this thread vaguely intresting:

What do people think each song is about - i don't detect any meaning to any of them - 'rape my tapeworm abortion' Roll Eyes - so maybe between us we can get some idea of what Scott thought he was writing about.....

I explained my interpretation of STB in my previous post.  Other than STB I don't believe most of his lyrics are difficult to understand.  In fact, by Weiland's standards, they are downright transparent.  Just make a small effort, and I'm pretty sure you can understand the meanings.  If you can't "detect any meaning to any of them"  then I question your ability to comprehend and analyze.
Izzy
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2004, 06:04:06 PM »

If you can't "detect any meaning to any of them"  then I question your ability to comprehend and analyze.

Touche!

Okay then whats the meaning of say - Superhuman? Scott's experience with Superman?? Or the delightful Headspace?

Don't answer with 'drugs' - try and be a little more constructive

What on earth is Illegal i song about? And Spectacle? I am sitting here with the booklet reading 'rocket bitch is blasting off/right on target yeah/boots laced up i'm here to go' and i have no idea what he is on about

Drugs. Great. Some people can write about drugs and make songs that make sense.....

Quick! To the bandwagon!
oldleadbelly
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2004, 06:21:44 PM »

If you can't "detect any meaning to any of them"  then I question your ability to comprehend and analyze.

Touche!

Okay then whats the meaning of say - Superhuman? Scott's experience with Superman?? Or the delightful Headspace?

Don't answer with 'drugs' - try and be a little more constructive

What on earth is Illegal i song about? And Spectacle? I am sitting here with the booklet reading 'rocket bitch is blasting off/right on target yeah/boots laced up i'm here to go' and i have no idea what he is on about

Drugs. Great. Some people can write about drugs and make songs that make sense.....

why do you do this to yourself?  here goes:

Superhuman- Obviously this song is speaking of his battles within the last year with chemicals.  Specifically, he is telling his story through a female character.  Superhuman refers to the fact that we, the ordinary fans, look to rock stars and celebrities in general, to be heroes, or superhumans.  It also refers to the feeling that you get when you are high, like you are invincible.  If you have kept up with Weiland news the past year you would notice that he references real life situations.  Gettin high crashin cars and makin mistakes, that refers to his DUI that is hanging over his head right now.  "A man is a destination never known, sometimes dressed up like a red hot lady in pumps'...yep, duff has talked about weiland dressing up in drag and going to MacArthur Park to score drugs.  

Headspace- This song isn't difficult at all.  He's talking to the media, as well as the thoughts he's had while contemplating suicide.  He says he's trudging through a mine field, built to blast, can I make it will I last.  Basically, this is the junkie lyfestyle.  At anytime he could overdose and die.  When is he going to hit that mine?  The fuckers are the media and people who question why he's such a fuck-up.  He further references them as the cancer and the leech, sent to bleed him of disease (in other words, suck out a story about his addiction.   Living taking chances, isn't all that it's meant to be=Rock and roll glitz isn't all it is cracked up as.  Perhaps the best lyric of the album is next:  Dying with your face on a T-shirt isn't all that original, directly referencing Kurt Cobain.  When Kurt killed himself, thousands of alternative kids had a kurt cobain T-shirt with his face on it, and under his face was his birth and death dates.  Weiland says that isn't the road he wants to take.

I have more interpretations, but i'll go ahead and post these.
oldleadbelly
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2004, 06:34:07 PM »

Spectacle-  another song to those who doubt him.  He uses the 'boots laced up, I'm here to go' as a fight metaphor.  Like he's fighting against the verbal assault of other.  'In the end I'll stand alone'--he will take the insults, but when all is said and done, he will still be around, be successful, and have a legacy to boot.  'You write the list, now write me off'-those saying he is the next in a list of rockstars to die.  'Rocket bitch is blasting off'-he's the rocket bitch, which he uses to tie into the 'blasting off' phrase--simply means his career is taking off with this new band.  'It begins to rain and I'll knock you right back down again'--the media are vultures.  They wait for something to go wrong, then kick you when you're down.
Izzy
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2004, 06:39:03 PM »

Some cool insight there - i guess your right, but i don't know about you but i could have written that much better and clearer - a song where u need to know the guys life history and slowly disect each line to work out just a educated guess isn't really my idea of a great song writer.

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: