Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 05:28:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228530 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Boycott This CD !
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Boycott This CD !  (Read 11391 times)
K-Rock
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2004, 05:47:45 PM »

I make copies of cd's all the time.

If they are REMARKABLE LIKE CONTRABAND IS.........I make a copy for when I'm at work......for home......for my wife.....for my girlfriend.  The original stays in my car until I get tired of it.  

And yes, I made copies of Contraband.  So, regardless of what it says.........I made copies.

P.S.  I would not make copies for profit or copies to deprive an artist of their due $$$.
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2004, 06:46:15 PM »

shit the album gives you two features for tune sharing n copying songs.. nervous
slim
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2004, 06:33:42 PM »

I've read several of the posts, and I still say," BOYCOTT THIS CD!"

We need to stand up to the Record labels and bands. Many seem to think that Velvet Revolver is innocent in all this. I don't buy it, and won't buy this CD. They are no different than Metallica in that they are greedy, and give a crap about there fans. With the outrageous prices of CDs, and now blatant restrictions to a purchased item, it's no wonder that we resort to illegal downloads.

BOYCOTT THIS CD AND ALL OTHER COPY PROTECTED CDS THAT FOLLOW!! SHOW THE GREEDY RECORD LABELS AND BANDS THAT WE PAY THERE BILLS, AND THEY SHOULD BE PROVIDING FOR US, THE CONSUMER!!!

beer
sth
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2004, 09:56:17 PM »

dude, when UYI came out, duff said to their fans should buy 1 and tape 2 off a friend and vice versa. doubt the band is spearheading these efforts.

get over it. it's 10 bucks. appreciate it for what it is - a great album.

i know i don't do my job for free...and the cd can be burned and made into mp3, fyi.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2004, 09:59:43 PM by sth » Logged
Jizzo
Legend

Everytime,I'm falling down, Please take me home

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2004, 10:05:24 PM »

Just because of people like you,  I bought a 4th copy today so I could loan it to people. Get over yourself.

You know what to do, you know what I did
Since you know everything, just clue me in
I am such a wreck, I am such a mess
I know what I know - why don't you fill in the rest?
SunKing278
Headliner

The loveliest girls are always in your GN'R

« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2004, 06:31:53 AM »

This is really stupid.  If you're a real fan and want to support the band, buy the damn CD.  I got it for $9.99 at Target, and I believe Best Buy is selling it at the same price.  However, I do agree that people should be allowed to make copies for the car, etc.  Don't blame Velvet Revolver for their record company's practices.  I suspect this "copy blocker" thing is going to be common a year from now.

RnT
Legend

Every saint has a past, every sinner has a future.

« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2004, 07:36:57 AM »

I got it for $9.99

Shocked  Shocked crying crying confused nervous confused crying Shocked Shocked Shocked

Man... you don?t imagine how sad you made me feel right now...

some years ago, 1 DOLLAR was equivalent to 1 REAL here where I live ( Brazil )
NOW, 1 dollar is more than 3 REAIS ! do you know how expensive is it? imagine you buying CONTRABAND TO 38 DOLLARS !!  crying

EET_FUK
Rocker

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2004, 08:52:05 AM »

I've read several of the posts, and I still say," BOYCOTT THIS CD!"

We need to stand up to the Record labels and bands. Many seem to think that Velvet Revolver is innocent in all this. I don't buy it, and won't buy this CD. They are no different than Metallica in that they are greedy, and give a crap about there fans. With the outrageous prices of CDs, and now blatant restrictions to a purchased item, it's no wonder that we resort to illegal downloads.

BOYCOTT THIS CD AND ALL OTHER COPY PROTECTED CDS THAT FOLLOW!! SHOW THE GREEDY RECORD LABELS AND BANDS THAT WE PAY THERE BILLS, AND THEY SHOULD BE PROVIDING FOR US, THE CONSUMER!!!

beer

Lets see here...I bought the CD for 9.99 at Circuit City, which I think is a VERY good price.  And I have made various copies and have ripped it to my Comp at work.  Maybe you just have your panites in a bunch because you can't figure out how to copy/rip it?
PhillyRiot
I'm super, thanks for asking
Banned
VIP

Please Return to Philly

« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2004, 09:02:38 AM »

Too late, got the disc the day it came out and have been enjoying it ever since!

I don't need the Internet to be a GNR fan.

www.myspace.com/earl31   Talk Radio Pranks
lanegan
Whiskey For The Holy Ghost
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2004, 09:49:25 AM »

i think it is a matter of the record company telling us that we cant do something with the cd that we are legally entitled to do (make copies for ourselves-no matter how many that may be...or rip them to our hard drive as mp3s-providing that we do not illegally distribute these)

the more we are accepting of these "restrictions" that the record companies put on us, the more restrictions they will eventually impose.  

in all fairness to VR, i did buy the album.  i did however, rip the cd to mp3 and make a copy for myself.  we are legally allowed to do this.  
slim
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2004, 11:51:10 AM »

I'm sure I can copy the CD. There are plenty of shareware programs to do it. I could also download from iTunes and make copies, or just download from Limewire or another peer to peer client from someone else who has already broken the copy protection ( though it is said on other parts of this message board that RCA is putting out false copies of VR songs ).

This is not the point! RCA and VR are attempting to see if this copy protection will fly. They want to see if they can increases sales with what they consider a super group (ie-Audioslave). They know diehard GNR and STP fans will want this CD badly, which is why it was chosen. We must stand up for our rights before record and video companies see that they can sucker us to buy what ever they stick us with, and then they will find new software or hardware that is tougher and tougher to crack.

FIGHT FOR OUR RIGHTS! BOYCOTT THIS CD! rant
Johnnyblood
VIP

Nothing.

« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2004, 11:53:48 AM »

I'm not a huge fan of copy protection, but I'll buy any album that I really want regardlesss of any copy protection. As for the copy protection on this album, I didn't have any difficulty making a copy of it. It must be the data track, which I did not extract along with the sound files.

I've seen enough.
slim
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2004, 12:08:52 PM »

I'm not a huge fan of copy protection, but I'll buy any album that I really want regardlesss of any copy protection. As for the copy protection on this album, I didn't have any difficulty making a copy of it. It must be the data track, which I did not extract along with the sound files.

One again, this is not the point! I am a huge music fan. I purchase 2 or 3 CDs a month. I have all of GNR and STPs CDs, and intinded to purchase this one. I liked Set Me Free, Money, and purchased the Slither single from iTunes before this CDs release. But I am not going to sit buy while record companies start to rip us off. We should not all be made to pay for the downloading of others. Maybe they should lower the price of CDs if they don't want us stealing them. Why does Contraband cost $20 at a CD store, and $9.99 at Target and iTunes? They have been robbing us for years, why should I cry for them? Show the record companies we are a force to be reconed with.

BOYCOTT THIS CD ! rant
TyRod Tulip
War-huh What is it good for?
Banned
VIP

Sweetness is a virtue and you lost your virtue long ago

« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2004, 12:53:19 PM »

I had this album 8 days before it was released in the states.  Its called IRC folks, get to know it.  It took me 6 minutes to download the whole album complete with the cover art.  I enjoyed the album for 8 days before I went out and bought it.  I haven't opened the copy I bought, and I probably won't.  I can just keep burning the album to blank CDs and playing them in my car, work and home.  The best part about this approach is that if the album sucks, I don't get ripped off.  I will most certainly obtain Chinese Democracy this way too.  And if the album sucks, I won't have wasted a dime.

-TyRod-
Johnnyblood
VIP

Nothing.

« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2004, 02:57:42 PM »

Its called IRC folks, get to know it.

What's IRC?

I've seen enough.
Jizzo
Legend

Everytime,I'm falling down, Please take me home

« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2004, 05:22:55 PM »

Slim, have you made a single post that doesn't involve your anti contraband retoric

You know what to do, you know what I did
Since you know everything, just clue me in
I am such a wreck, I am such a mess
I know what I know - why don't you fill in the rest?
slim
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2004, 06:21:48 PM »

Unfortunately no. I feel strongly about this issue, and have been posting to several boards for a few days. Don't get me wrong, I planned on buying this CD a few days ago, but feel I cannot do so now. I have stated from before this release to friends that as soon as this Copy Protection started affecting Hard Rock/Metal music that I listen to, I would start complaining, and giving the sorry assed record companies crap! I have also written to RCA, and would do the same for VR if I had a contact email address. I also wrote NBC, CBS, ABC, and am thinking of writting rock mags such as Circus next.

Don't take it personally. Help save Rock N' Roll, and BOYCOTT THIS CD !
Johnnyblood
VIP

Nothing.

« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2004, 11:16:41 AM »

Unfortunately no. I feel strongly about this issue, and have been posting to several boards for a few days.

Yeah, I saw your post at Amazon. I give you credit for having passion about this. Most of us don't care, as long as we can stay ahead of the technology that is supposed to keep us from copying.

I've seen enough.
slim
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2004, 11:39:15 AM »

Yeah, I saw your post at Amazon. I give you credit for having passion about this. Most of us don't care, as long as we can stay ahead of the technology that is supposed to keep us from copying.

That's why I'm here. How long before we can no longer keep ahead. Check the internet for Copy Protection. The record labels see this as a beggining, not an end! They already are preparing new technology.

BOYCOTT THIS CD !
slim
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2004, 12:10:41 PM »

I'd like to turn you on to a few web sites on this subject. See for your self what's coming in the future of Copy Protection. I think many still are missing the point of all this. We all know that this CD can be copied if we have a little computer knowledge, but the time is coming when maybe we can't. How many crapy MP3 players do you want to install from every band you purchase?

Tim Johnson from Blog Critics.org wrote me this;
Maybe something you can bring up if this all starts up again
is that you are attempting to send a message about how you feel about copy
protection. Think about this: the copy protection only hurts the people who
paid for the music - not the people who are downloading the illicit copies.
Since both you and I now have declared that we will not buy this album with
copy protection, who has really been hurt here? Only you and me.
File-sharers are still going to find this album, and we will be without.
Legitimate sales of this album were lost due only to their label's
insistence on using this half-assed protection scheme.

I don't care how easy it is to get around this copy protection - it's the
principle of the matter. Sometimes you just have to stand up for something
you believe in. If you feel strongly, stick to your guns. Maybe you'll
affect others who might otherwise have not even paid attention. I, for one,
am convinced that the copy protection "warning" sticker is purposely
designed to look like a copyright warning, something that most people will
not notice. And after this weekend, I have proof - a friend of mine looked
at the CD and didn't take note of the text under the band name on the
sticker until I explicitly pointed out the actual words about
copy-protection. This is what the label is banking on - that people will
unwittingly buy this album and bolster their stance that people don't care
about the copy protection. I think it's deceptive. I expected to see a
fairly large-sized font that read "COPY PROTECTED" but instead something
found what looks like legal jargon in 6 pt. text. They've covered their
butts by putting it right on the cover, but they've taken steps to minimize
it, that's for sure. It's deceptive, plain and simple, and I will not have
my money going toward something like that.

Published at: http://blogcritics.org/archives/2004/06/08/124647.php

More websites on Copy Protection;
Campaign for digital rights - http://ukcdr.org/

Is copy protection illegal - http://news.com.com/2100-1023-801582.html?legacy=cnet#yourtake

Copy protection sucks - http://www.copyprotectionsucks.co.uk/

Record company prepares to release protected CDs - http://news.com.com/2100-1023-249699.html

(this last about BMG and stepchild RCA)

BOYCOTT THIS CD ! rant
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: