Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 03:34:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Message from Scott...
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Message from Scott...  (Read 7820 times)
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« on: June 10, 2004, 11:23:12 PM »

http://www.velvetrevolver.net/news/news.asp?item=3181

A Message From Scott | 6/10/2004

It was a painful decision to modify my life in words for anyone or anything, forsaking art and gaining silver. But there you have it, two versions, Clean Vs. Wicked. Censorship Is Very American.

-Scott Weiland

« Last Edit: June 10, 2004, 11:24:38 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2004, 01:14:19 AM »

So does the clean version have different lyrics or are they bleeped out?

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Cowboy Buddha
VIP

Balls of Molten Steel

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2004, 01:56:59 AM »

i'm guessing that the edited version is the version on MTV.com and VH1.com

I will not change this Sig. until Vikings, Twins, Wild, T-Wolves or any MN teams win a Championship (10/16/06)
starchild_666
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2004, 04:56:05 AM »

clean versions suck... they should have refused to do clean edit...
SunKing278
Headliner

The loveliest girls are always in your GN'R

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2004, 07:13:02 AM »

clean versions suck... they should have refused to do clean edit...

Releasing a clean version of any given record is the only way artists can get into WalMart.  Love it or hate it, WalMart accounts for a big percentage of record sales in the U.S.  It would have been suicide for them not to do this.

Evil Ash
Dude, they peed on your fucking rug
VIP

GnR is unstoppable, but delay-able ;)

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2004, 08:09:28 AM »

He's right, it's very american, I've never seen an edited version of a cd here in belgium (or europe) !

Why is it that they make that ?!  Do some people really want an edited version :s

off-topic :
I don't get why you can't drink a beer at 16 but you can drive a car, that's just weird! you should be wise enough to handle alcohol before you drive!

Like peeing clouds!
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2004, 08:59:35 AM »

It was a painful decision to modify my life in words for anyone or anything, forsaking art and gaining silver.

That's what I was trying to tell Booker in another thread....  Wink

Having to change your words just so you can make more money.  Undecided

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2004, 09:09:47 AM »

You told me that unlike Axl, he was forced to rewrite lyrics...Did he rewrite all of the lyrics?  Because I believe they were just muted out(the MTV preview), which would qualify as "modifying"...And in that case, its no different than anybody else, including GNR, like I said in the other thread.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2004, 10:01:26 AM »

You told me that unlike Axl, he was forced to rewrite lyrics...Did he rewrite all of the lyrics?  Because I believe they were just muted out(the MTV preview), which would qualify as "modifying"...And in that case, its no different than anybody else, including GNR, like I said in the other thread.

Weren't you the one who brought in Axl into that discussion?

As far as I know, Axl hasn't released a new album in a while so things might have changed since 1993....

There's a reason I didn't mention Axl.....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2004, 10:19:49 AM »

Yeah...to illustrate how common a practice it is.  But then you implied, wrongly to my knowledge, that Scott was forced to rewrite and rerecord lyrics when that doesnt seem to be the case.  

As far as I know, Axl hasn't released a new album in a while so things might have changed since 1993....

What do future releases have to do with anything?  Im talking about whats on the shelves.

What you tried telling me in the other thread is that the record company forced Scott to rewrite lyrics...That doesnt appear to be the case, does it?
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2004, 10:24:25 AM »

Yeah...to illustrate how common a practice it is.  But then you implied, wrongly to my knowledge, that Scott was forced to rewrite and rerecord lyrics when that doesnt seem to be the case.  

What do future releases have to do with anything?  Im talking about whats on the shelves.

What you tried telling me in the other thread is that the record company forced Scott to rewrite lyrics...That doesnt appear to be the case, does it?

Who is to say that the mtv version is the mal mart version?
And what does Axl have to do with this topic? When I mention axl in here people like you get all pissy?

Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2004, 10:58:14 AM »

What does this quote tell you?

"It was a painful decision to modify my life in words for anyone or anything"

Who told him to modify the words then?  A voice in his head? Huh

Did he just come up with the idea himself? "Hey, I'll modify these original words for fun!".  Huh

I know they have muted out words in GN'R songs, I'm not that ignorant, but Axl hasn't been asked to modify words as far as I know. Maybe it's because he heasn't released anything in a while.

/jarmo

John Daniels
I wish I could edit this custom title.
VIP

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2004, 10:58:56 AM »

It was a painful decision to modify my life in words for anyone or anything, forsaking art and gaining silver.

/jarmo

record company tryes to make as much money as much they can. But I wouldn't take Slash/Duff and co. to that trip too much. I'm not trying to say that Duff/Slash aren't into the money but todays music industry is what it is..nothing that Slash/Duff can do about it. If they would do and whine about it we probably wouldn't have the album on our hands. So blame the record company  Wink
« Last Edit: June 11, 2004, 11:02:13 AM by John Daniels » Logged
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2004, 11:16:40 AM »

Who told him to modify the words then?  A voice in his head? Huh

The record company asked to put out a clean version...

As far as I know, the clean version of Contraband is muted out like the GNR records.  If thats not the case, somebody correct me, but Im assuming thats the case because of the MTV preview.

I know they have muted out words in GN'R songs, I'm not that ignorant, but Axl hasn't been asked to modify words as far as I know. Maybe it's because he heasn't released anything in a while.

When Scott says modify, couldnt that mean the words were muted...or does modify exclusively mean "rewritten"?

But speaking hypothetically...If Scott were to rewrite his lyrics, it would be the lesser of two evils for him, if that was his choice.  Its obvious that he doesnt like being censored, period.  That includes putting out a clean album with mutes.  If an artist wanted to do something different and rewrite lyrics, like I said that Eminem had, then thats their choice.  Im positive that they dont have to, since nearly every edited record out there is simply muted.  Why would Scott be the exception?  So, yes, he could have decided on his own to change his lyrics if that was his preference to just deleting the words.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2004, 11:29:18 AM by Booker Floyd » Logged
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2004, 11:28:01 AM »

Booker read the rest of the interview, didnt he say the record company did not like he using poppy seeds because it was a drug reference and wanted him to chang that word, so he then replied, how about  Nazi.

So maybe the clean version maybe he change the words.
Tool did that with one of their radio edits on their undertow album.

Dizzy
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2004, 05:57:01 PM »

I hate censorship.  I hate that the hypocritical bastard of a company known as Wal-Mart will sell "R" rated movies and an arsenal of firearms (and other weapons) but will not not sell CDs that contain the word "fuck".  It's bullshit.
sandman
Legend

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2004, 06:41:05 PM »

i have the edited version. i was in Northville, NY all week some hick town in the middle of no where, about an hour NW of albany. the ONLY place to buy the cd within 50 miles was a walmart. and i didn't want to wait the extra 3 days to get the real version.

for the most part, the foul language is just muted. i don't think this is what scott's talking about though.

dave is right about the drug references.

but record labels have all the power. and i'm sure they threatened to delay the album. so bands need to make a decision.....keep their fans waiting, or make a minor change to the lyrics. it really sucks.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2004, 06:57:03 PM »

i have the edited version. i was in Northville, NY all week some hick town in the middle of no where, about an hour NW of albany. the ONLY place to buy the cd within 50 miles was a walmart. and i didn't want to wait the extra 3 days to get the real version.

for the most part, the foul language is just muted. i don't think this is what scott's talking about though.

dave is right about the drug references.

but record labels have all the power. and i'm sure they threatened to delay the album. so bands need to make a decision.....keep their fans waiting, or make a minor change to the lyrics. it really sucks.

The meeting about deciding on the Clean edit was featured on PBS Frontline, and was hardly threatening.  If nearly all of the curses are muted, you think they have a problem blanking out "poppies"?  It appears that changing the lyric, and giving it a new meaning, was his own choosing.   I sincerely doubt he was pressured to change the word "poppies," which appears among an avalanche of "fucks" and "bitches".  They obviously called for its edit, but I dont see why hed be forced to rewrite it when it can simply be muted like anything else.  
axl_rose_700
Legend

Guns n' fuckin roses!

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2004, 07:10:20 PM »

off-topic :
I don't get why you can't drink a beer at 16 but you can drive a car, that's just weird! you should be wise enough to handle alcohol before you drive!

yea, whats with the whole 21 thing in America??? odd!!

on topic: clean versions suck, why would you want to buy that?

That's a hatrick for Doull
Mr Cowbell ?
Legend

HTGTH Powerslam Champion / Former WWE Game Champ

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2004, 01:31:36 AM »

I hate censorship.  I hate that the hypocritical bastard of a company known as Wal-Mart will sell "R" rated movies and an arsenal of firearms (and other weapons) but will not not sell CDs that contain the word "fuck".  It's bullshit.

They will sell Guns n' Ammo, Knifes, Trashy Magazines, R rated movies. They will sell you paint after they card you to make sure you are 18, since they are afraid you might sniff it. Who in the Hell is walmart to tell artist to censor the Fuck's or Shit's . Hell I seen Con Air at Walmart and everyone other word in that movie is FUCK.

Why not just card people who want contraband there. Our society is letting Walmart take over every city and now we are gonna fall under the Wal-america

Ron Jeremy - BEND OVER.
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: